I know there have been some threads about Dual Booting, but this one will be different

Since an enormous problem of BlackBerry is getting apps into BBW having a dual boot possibility may change that.
    I am pretty sure, that devs that would have been interested to develop for BB10, have been deterred by the "for sale sign" in the meantime.

Other big named apps just can't justify to make apps for the small population of BB10 users.

We add to that the fact of BlackBerry having implemented an Android runtime, but not having access to the Google Play store.

What I envision, would be a BlackBerry phone, that actually runs a vanilla version of Android and BB10 at the same time, simultaneously.
    This should get BlackBerry the ability to finally get access to the Google Play Store.

The user should never have access (by default) to the Android partition though.
    This means, that the end-user will always navigate in the BB10/QNX environment.
    The Android environment then runs simultaneously alongside of the BlackBerry one.

What really is important, would be the next step though.
    BBRY should implement a possibility, to display apps that run on the Android partition, in the BB10 environment.
    It is a very similar idea, as BBRY persued with the runtime, but like this, there would be no need to convert or recode any apps for BlackBerry's OS, as their phones would get full access to the Google Play Store.

I am very well aware, that this might not help BBW at all, and the app situation for the QNX OS, but if we look at BlackBerry and their app store, we can pretty much doubt, that the app gap would close any time soon, anyhow.

I also understand, that it could be easier for BlackBerry to just adopt Android, make a BB10 like launcher and forget about QNX alltogether, but then we would still have the problem of them just being another Android manufacturer, without the means to really differentiate themselves.

But at the same time, I am also a believer, of BB10 having very nice features, and certain USP's that would make it worth to keep the OS.
    At this point in time, BlackBerry put so much into it, that it would be a waste to just let it go.

Another thing that I considered, was the specs that such a phone would need.
    We are talking about a lot of RAM, to my understanding not less than 4 GB, and probably 6 GB just to be sure.

The processor could either be a very highly clocked quad core, or a lower clocked octa core.
    To my limited understanding, the processor should be implemented in a way, that half of the cores are only working for the Android environment, and the other half is occupied with BB10.
    A big battery would be needed as well.

There should be a way, of Android "going into sleep mode" when not needed. And it should only be needed when apps are used.
    Android apps from the Google Play Store, including this app itself, should get a way of displaying icons in the BB10 environment.

This apparently is a similar idea, that Ubuntu tried to follow with the Edge. The price for it would have been 700$ a unit, with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage.
    Therefore, it should be possible for BlackBerry to sell a phone like that, even cheaper.

http://www.arstechnica.com/informati...e-ubuntu-edge/

Like this I could use BB10 and all of it advantages and at the same time I have access to all of the Play Store's apps.

Maybe this idea is completely nuts, and the sickest one, in the whole Armchair section...
    I seriously don't know...
    Dear reader, you may decide.

Posted via CB10
    Qaxl likes this.
    08-25-13 01:55 PM
    so you're saying you want to run 2 OS'es simultaneously, which wouldn't be dual boot. Dual (or multi) Boot would be the ability to pick which OS you boot into upon start up.

like that.

It would be a complete and total waste to dual boot into android and BB10. If they wanted to mess with android, they would have just made their own custom software to be like BB10, but on an android based platform.

The resources allocated to having 2 simultaneously running operating systems would be so ridiculous. Plus the cost of hardware... Jesus.
    08-25-13 02:04 PM
    so you're saying you want to run 2 OS'es simultaneously, which wouldn't be dual boot. Dual (or multi) Boot would be the ability to pick which OS you boot into upon start up.

http://winsupersite.com/content/cont...l_dual_038.jpg

like that.

It would be a complete and total waste to dual boot into android and BB10. If they wanted to mess with android, they would have just made their own custom software to be like BB10, but on an android based platform.

The resources allocated to having 2 simultaneously running operating systems would be so ridiculous. Plus the cost of hardware... Jesus.
    That's why I said that the idea could be completely nuts.
    It was just a little thought I had, because my confidence in BlackBerry is pretty much gone at this point in time.

I love my BB10 phone and the OS, but the app situation is catastrophic and the future existence of BlackBerry is anything but confirmed as well.

I should rename the thread though.
    What would you propose?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-25-13 02:07 PM
    There's a Mac app called Parallels that lets you run Windows inside the OSX environment. You could probably do something similar with BB10 and Android I presume, but the hardware will have to be up to snuff. Also, as Android would run inside a virtual machine, performance of Android apps would suffer somewhat.

The alternative would be to do a full dual boot, where you can pick which OS to boot into when you power on the device. This would give the OS full access to the hardware so that the performance doesn't suffer due to virtualization. But the downside to that is you can only be in one OS at a time.

A good idea nonetheless. I wouldn't be opposed to running multiple OSs on my phone.
    08-25-13 02:19 PM
    Isn't the current Android player a virtual machine set up running on top of BlackBerry 10? Windows 7 has XP mode as escape hatch but with seamless UI transitions. Probably the current Android just needs better UI integration with BlackBerry 10 native cascade UI?

Direct access to Google Play is not an option as several people pointed out. Besides that would severely undermine BlackBerry World if it were possible. If I like Google Play store so much with the apps they have, I would have bought a Nexus handset.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 02:44 PM
    Why not go one extra and triple boot? Load up BB OS7 as the third operating system and voila, you could get that small group of BB7 diehards to upgrade!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-25-13 03:52 PM
    It's A very good idea which fans at CB will never get.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 06:40 AM
    What's with the extreme criticism? People are rally loosing their cool fast here. Relax and enjoy the funny idea.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 06:42 AM
    Why not go one extra and triple boot? Load up BB OS7 as the third operating system and voila, you could get that small group of BB7 diehards to upgrade!
    Pfftt three OS's, Microsoft is already doing that with the xbox 1.
    08-26-13 07:14 AM
    That's why I said that the idea could be completely nuts.
    It was just a little thought I had, because my confidence in BlackBerry is pretty much gone at this point in time.

I love my BB10 phone and the OS, but the app situation is catastrophic and the future existence of BlackBerry is anything but confirmed as well.

I should rename the thread though.
    What would you propose?

Posted via CB10
    Sporking Bb10?
    08-26-13 07:15 AM
    Lol 2 bloatwares running on subpar hardware. Welcome to mobile hell :-X
    08-26-13 07:20 AM
    What I envision, would be a BlackBerry phone, that actually runs a vanilla version of Android and BB10 at the same time, simultaneously.
    This should get BlackBerry the ability to finally get access to the Google Play Store.
    You make it sound easy. But the device has to meet the AOSP compatibility requirements just as a prerequisite to even applying to Google for access to Google Play. Complying with the Compatibility Definition Document is not exactly a given with this kind of set up, nor is passing the Compatibility Test Suite. Then you would have to get a license from Google for access to Google Play. You think that would happen? I don't. Much easier just to build an Android device.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-26-13 07:21 AM
    My understanding us that the android interpreter in OS10 already has the capabilities you describe but BlackBerry is looking out ability to go Android store.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 05:14 AM
    My understanding us that the android interpreter in OS10 already has the capabilities you describe but BlackBerry is looking out ability to go Android store.

Posted via CB10
    That understanding is not correct. Among other things, there are a host of APIs for Jelly Bean (and even Gingerbread) that are not supported in 10.2. No way is this jerry rigged system in compliance with the CDD, let alone capable of making it through the Compatibility Test Suite. (I mean, come on -- LOOK at it.) And even if it were, BBRY would still have to get the license from Google.
    08-27-13 05:30 AM
    I think it would be better to work with Google to get the Play Store as part of BB10 via the runtime, and make the runtime to run APK files. So you are still running BB10, but have access to the Play Store and APK file. Apparently the Runtime has the ability to run just about any Android file with the new unlocked version or the debug token, so I think it is technically possible. Definitely having to port the files isn't getting enough of the Android devs on board yet.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-27-13 07:43 AM
    I know there have been some threads about Dual Booting, but this one will be different

Since an enormous problem of BlackBerry is getting apps into BBW having a dual boot possibility may change that.
    I am pretty sure, that devs that would have been interested to develop for BB10, have been deterred by the "for sale sign" in the meantime.

Other big named apps just can't justify to make apps for the small population of BB10 users.

We add to that the fact of BlackBerry having implemented an Android runtime, but not having access to the Google Play store.

The user should never have access (by default) to the Android partition though.
    This means, that the end-user will always navigate in the BB10/QNX environment.
    The Android environment then runs simultaneously alongside of the BlackBerry one.

What really is important, would be the next step though.
    BBRY should implement a possibility, to display apps that run on the Android partition, in the BB10 environment.
    It is a very similar idea, as BBRY persued with the runtime, but like this, there would be no need to convert or recode any apps for BlackBerry's OS, as their phones would get full access to the Google Play Store.

I am very well aware, that this might not help BBW at all, and the app situation for the QNX OS, but if we look at BlackBerry and their app store, we can pretty much doubt, that the app gap would close any time soon, anyhow.

I also understand, that it could be easier for BlackBerry to just adopt Android, make a BB10 like launcher and forget about QNX alltogether, but then we would still have the problem of them just being another Android manufacturer, without the means to really differentiate themselves.

But at the same time, I am also a believer, of BB10 having very nice features, and certain USP's that would make it worth to keep the OS.
    At this point in time, BlackBerry put so much into it, that it would be a waste to just let it go.

Another thing that I considered, was the specs that such a phone would need.
    We are talking about a lot of RAM, to my understanding not less than 4 GB, and probably 6 GB just to be sure.

The processor could either be a very highly clocked quad core, or a lower clocked octa core.
    To my limited understanding, the processor should be implemented in a way, that half of the cores are only working for the Android environment, and the other half is occupied with BB10.
    A big battery would be needed as well.

There should be a way, of Android "going into sleep mode" when not needed. And it should only be needed when apps are used.
    Android apps from the Google Play Store, including this app itself, should get a way of displaying icons in the BB10 environment.

This apparently is a similar idea, that Ubuntu tried to follow with the Edge. The price for it would have been 700$ a unit, with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage.
    Therefore, it should be possible for BlackBerry to sell a phone like that, even cheaper.

Want to see the future of Microsoft’s software? Take a look at the Ubuntu Edge | Ars Technica

Like this I could use BB10 and all of it advantages and at the same time I have access to all of the Play Store's apps.

Maybe this idea is completely nuts, and the sickest one, in the whole Armchair section...
    I seriously don't know...
    Dear reader, you may decide.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with this concept, i wrote about it some time ago in my blog but with that was simultaneous booting on a Windows 8 hybrid.

The Idea will be more clear to people who are familiar with the OS workings of the Upcoming Xbox One.
    That has 3 Operating systems running. One for Gaming, One for Apps, and One as a kind of "container" that boots up the device and loads the other 2 OSes together.

In a mobile Environment, of course the hardware requirements will be greater than ever before, but it should not be entirely impossible.

Octa Core Processor (4 Cores for BB10 - 2 Cores for Android - 2 Cores for OS management)
    4 GB RAM (2 GB for BB10 - 2 GB for Android)
    BIG BATTERY ( because large screen and all 8 cores working simultaneously)
    HUGE Phablet sized Screen (because the large battery is going to need a large device.)
    08-28-13 05:41 AM
    I totally agree with this concept, i wrote about it some time ago in my blog but with that was simultaneous booting on a Windows 8 hybrid.

The Idea will be more clear to people who are familiar with the OS workings of the Upcoming Xbox One.
    That has 3 Operating systems running. One for Gaming, One for Apps, and One as a kind of "container" that boots up the device and loads the other 2 OSes together.

In a mobile Environment, of course the hardware requirements will be greater than ever before, but it should not be entirely impossible.

Octa Core Processor (4 Cores for BB10 - 2 Cores for Android - 2 Cores for OS management)
    4 GB RAM (2 GB for BB10 - 2 GB for Android)
    BIG BATTERY ( because large screen and all 8 cores working simultaneously)
    HUGE Phablet sized Screen (because the large battery is going to need a large device.)
    Even assuming the hurdles presented by Android compliance and Google licensure could be surmounted, this sounds impractical. BBRY is small potatoes now for supply chain manufacturers, which is likely why you see low-level devices like the Q5 at unusually high prices. A device like the one you mention would probably go at close to $1000 off contract.
    08-28-13 07:35 AM
    How about spoofing the play store to thinking you're an android, with google's permission, and doing an auto conversion on the phone?

I know, another crazy idea
    08-28-13 07:56 AM