I'm not discussing Blackberry becoming yet another Android OEM. What I am referring to is that Blackberry work with Google directly to bake Blackberry security into the Android OS, which then gets deployed to ALL Android manufacturers. Does anyone think that would work?
    07-30-15 12:11 AM
    Where's the ROI? I'd rather they work with Google to make the security component easier to add to Android, enabling the, to quickly add it to new Android versions. This would enable them to be first OEM to market with the new Android and give them the differentiation in the market.
    07-30-15 08:17 AM
    The thing is that even if BB survives as a software/services company, that is not the BB that people here on CB love. People come here for the handsets and the moment BB stops making them you would see a decline in forums activity.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    07-30-15 09:14 AM
    The thing is that even if BB survives as a software/services company, that is not the BB that people here on CB love. People come here for the handsets and the moment BB stops making them you would see a decline in forums activity.
    Liking that one. :-)

BlackBerry exists to keep CrackBerry alive...

*** Z10 posted while waiting for Zlider ***
    07-30-15 04:46 PM
    I'm not discussing Blackberry becoming yet another Android OEM. What I am referring to is that Blackberry work with Google directly to bake Blackberry security into the Android OS, which then gets deployed to ALL Android manufacturers. Does anyone think that would work?
    This is already happening to an extent - Google struck deals with about a dozen MDM companies, including BB, to integrate their MDM with Android For Work and making sure the result was secure. Thus, a business running BES (or MobileIron or AirWatch or IBM or whatever) will be able to secure and control Android phones with a secure partition - more-or-less what Balance allows.

If you're talking about individual consumers, then you probably don't realize that without BES, BB10 phones aren't significantly more secure than Android or iOS phones anyway, and that the vast majority of individual consumers aren't particularly concerned about security and wouldn't make a buying decision based on it, so... there would be negligible return on investment (and more likely a loss) to spend time and money trying to further secure individual consumer phones - and many consumers would just turn off the extra security anyway, not wanting to have to bother with it all the time.

(Extra) security just doesn't "sell" in the consumer world.
    07-30-15 05:42 PM
    This is already happening to an extent - Google struck deals with about a dozen MDM companies, including BB, to integrate their MDM with Android For Work and making sure the result was secure. Thus, a business running BES (or MobileIron or AirWatch or IBM or whatever) will be able to secure and control Android phones with a secure partition - more-or-less what Balance allows.

If you're talking about individual consumers, then you probably don't realize that without BES, BB10 phones aren't significantly more secure than Android or iOS phones anyway, and that the vast majority of individual consumers aren't particularly concerned about security and wouldn't make a buying decision based on it, so... there would be negligible return on investment (and more likely a loss) to spend time and money trying to further secure individual consumer phones - and many consumers would just turn off the extra security anyway, not wanting to have to bother with it all the time.

(Extra) security just doesn't "sell" in the consumer world.
    Yes so Google can data mine a lot easier. And claiming BB10 phones are not more secure than Android is absolute nonsense. Android and iOS are a complete joke when it comes to security Net search it, its plastered all over clearly stating iOS is a open book and lack security. Android is no better.
    07-30-15 07:52 PM
    If you're talking about individual consumers, then you probably don't realize that without BES, BB10 phones aren't significantly more secure than Android or iOS phones anyway
    Huh. I thought you would have had stagefright before posting that.
    07-30-15 09:08 PM
    Huh. I thought you would have had stagefright before posting that.
    How many BB phones are still vulnerable to Heartbleed?
    07-30-15 09:46 PM
    Make hardware for Google?

(Most) Secure phone manufacturer working for the biggest data mining company and advertising agency in the world...?

No tinfoil hatting, but I'm not sure about that one. :-)

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    07-30-15 09:48 PM
    How many BB phones are still vulnerable to Heartbleed?
    BlackBerry addresses OpenSSL Heartbleed vulnerability | CrackBerry.com

Non-Affected Software

• BlackBerry� 10 OS
    • BlackBerry� 7.1 OS and earlier
    Is that 95% of phones, Troy?
    07-30-15 09:54 PM
    Beautifully done.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    07-30-15 10:38 PM
    Well, QNX was touted as owning the cars. For how long when google invests in self driving car probably above android?
    So either BlackBerry can innovate there with a full paradigm in secure self driving car or it will having to join someone.
    If it wants becoming big again it has to jump on future huge markets.
    Innovating requires investment there and not a marginal one on security which will be the niche and very probably lost if the underlying OS is not owned by BlackBerry one way or another.
    09-23-15 04:36 AM