Yup, I want to be able to buy an HTC one, or LG G3, etc. and buy BlackBerry OS 10 from Google Play for $9.99.

It would download, root the device and then wipe out every last trace of Android while installing itself.

I can dream =D

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    AtInsider, drkpitt and johnm137 like this.
    06-16-14 05:23 PM
    Fun to dream...
    06-16-14 05:29 PM
    9.99 lol

Posted via Q10
    06-16-14 05:37 PM
    Step 1: Purchase Z50.

Step 2: Discard Z50 packaging.

Step 3: Obtain LG G3 box from Best Buy or craigslist.

Step 4: Insert Z50 into LG G3 box.

Step 5: Wrap box in gift wrap. A bow and a ribbon are nice touches.

Step 6: Open box. Clap gleefully while jumping up & down and squealing like a little girl at Disneyland.

Fait accompli.
    06-16-14 06:09 PM
    Step 1: Purchase Z50.

Step 2: Discard Z50 packaging.

Step 3: Obtain LG G3 box from Best Buy or craigslist.

Step 4: Insert Z50 into LG G3 box.

Step 5: Wrap box in gift wrap. A bow and a ribbon are nice touches.

Step 6: Open box. Clap gleefully while jumping up & down and squealing like a little girl at Disneyland.

Fait accompli.
    Z50...? :-)

06-16-14 06:33 PM
    Z50...? :-)
    What, you don't have a Z50 yet?
    Pfft... whatevz.
    Carterbits likes this.
    06-16-14 06:35 PM
    What, you don't have a Z50 yet?
    Pfft... whatevz.
    I do have 4 Red LTE Z10s though and when you line them all up side by side and top to bottom they transform into an Omega10 phone. I would tell you more about its capabilities but sending data from the 21st and a half century back to your time is frightfully expensive and I'm just about about out of charac

TGR1, gebco and Elite1 like this.
    06-18-14 03:56 PM
    Fun to dream but flashing an OS to a phone is not as simple as installing an app.
    06-19-14 07:33 AM
    I do have 4 Red LTE Z10s though and when you line them all up side by side and top to bottom they transform into an Omega10 phone. I would tell you more about its capabilities but sending data from the 21st and a half century back to your time is frightfully expensive and I'm just about about out of charac

Someone abused of the Dev Alpha trade-in program... :P

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    06-19-14 07:39 AM
    Fun to dream but flashing an OS to a phone is not as simple as installing an app.
    It is easy, don't kid yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    06-21-14 03:36 PM

I have a Nexus 4 running Ubuntu Linux, if that ^ was my Nexus 5, it'd be running Ubuntu Phone OS already....

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    06-21-14 04:08 PM
    There should be a bb10 launcher for android.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 09:43 AM

depends upon the phone. you think is easy because you seem to have a Nexus 5, the most developer friendly phone
    06-30-14 09:51 AM
    depends upon the phone. you think is easy because you seem to have a Nexus 5, the most developer friendly phone
    Nexus 5, SG5, both rooted running cm.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    06-30-14 10:54 AM
    Nexus 5, SG5, both rooted running cm.
    Try with a second grade phone.. let's say galaxy ace 2e or Alcatel or Huawei phones

Posted via CB10
    c0ke likes this.
    06-30-14 05:12 PM
    The act of flashing a new ROM is not the difficult part - the difficult part is getting a ROM in the first place.

Android is open-source, which means there are many tens of thousands of people working on builds of Android for all kinds of different devices all the time. That's far more people than BB has total employees, much less developers and engineers. BB10 is closed-source, meaning all the work would have to be done by BB, for pay. BB's engineers are busy enough as it is trying to get BB10 working on BB hardware - who is going to do all the work to get it to work on Android hardware?

Then you have perhaps the bigger issue: drivers. I'm sure one of the reasons BB doesn't have very diverse hardware internals is because getting QNX drivers for the various hardware components is difficult and/or costs money. Hardware manufacturers generally make Linux drivers available, given that's what Android uses and given Android's marketshare, but I assure you that most hardware doesn't have QNX drivers available until either BB requests/pays for them from the hardware manufacturer or writes them themselves.

Drivers are a HUGE issue - even the phone manufacturers have trouble sometimes, and there have been phones that haven't gotten OS updates because the manufacturer won't release the specs for a component and won't make an updated driver available. The manufacturer then has no choice but to end development for that phone.

In order to download BB10 from the Play Store, there would have to be a BB10 ROM available for each sub-model of each Android phone that was supported, due to all of the hardware differences. That would be a HUGE development effort, and a very costly one, and I don't see how BB could possibly recoup their expenses unless they charged $100 or more per phone for a BB10 download.

Mobile phone OSs aren't like desktop Windows, with massive libraries of drivers included in the installation that can be installed at any time in any combination - mobile OSs are built just for a particular handset model (and submodel) with the drivers for just that one handset. Supporting even just the 10 most popular Android phones would easily take a year or more and require BB to double the size of its engineering/development department. I don't see any way they could justify that expense, much less be profitable.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-30-14 06:51 PM
    Dagnabbit! Microsoft has beaten us to it:

"The software giant is starting with Xiaomi's Android-based Mi 4 smartphone with a custom-based ROM that wipes out Android and installs Windows 10."
    Microsoft cooks up way to run Windows 10 on Android devices - CNET

I knew it was a good idea...
    03-18-15 10:19 AM
    Well your original wish might be coming true, at least somewhat anyway, if BBRY does release some of its key apps like BlackBerry Hub and BlackBerry Calendar for iOS & Android.
    03-18-15 11:35 AM
    I am on board with this idea (mechanism would be different of course) but I would pay good money to run bb10 on the s6 edge. The driver issue is the big problem. So, you would have to pick specific devices and have strategic partnerships where the manufacturer was on board. Hence maybe Samsung.

The other big problem was that BlackBerry states that they inject encryption keys at the factory. Not sure if this could be done another way.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 07:51 PM
    Heck we are talking about BB10 here, the best mobile OS in the world. I would put it on Google Play for about $50 for a permanent licensed copy.
    03-24-15 09:18 PM
    Ok

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:47 PM
    Or you can buy an android phone
    03-24-15 09:54 PM
    Unfortunately, we are only able to install bb10 on iPhones and Jolla phones at the moment. Possibly in the near future, we'll be able to install it on android too but I doubt this will happen. IPhones are somewhat more secure than android which is what gives BlackBerry an incentive to make their os available to buy for iPhones, but no Android.

I don't quite understand why they made it available for Jolla smartphones. They just don't have the hardware necessary but I guess it's for third-world countries.

If BlackBerry does end up making it available for Android, then I'll buy it and download it for my galaxy s6 edge (when it comes out) but for now, I'll use it on my iPhone 6 plus

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    03-24-15 09:58 PM