I think that BlackBerry executives told Chen that the Legacy owners were waiting in the wings for the Classic and Passport. They were wrong and now I think Chen now knows that PKB devices using BB10 are not going to be profitable and there was no pent up demand for an iconic Bold BlackBerry .

Posted via CB10
    Question:
    What would have sold more, despite the utter crap marketing.
    The Passport or a All Touch Passport?

I say a All Touch Passport would have sold 2 to 3 x more versus the physical keyboard version. John Chen missed a huge opportunity here by not releasing 2 such devices side by side with a unique "Marketing Campaign" talking about both devices and how they target and serve all Consumers.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-31-15 08:06 PM
    Question:

I say a All Touch Passport would have sold 2 to 3 x more versus the physical keyboard version. John Chen missed a huge opportunity here by not releasing 2 such devices side by side with a unique "Marketing Campaign" talking about both devices and how they target and serve all Consumers.
    I agree with you.

Problem is... I am more and more convinced that Chairman Chen wanted hardware to fail.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 08:11 PM
    I agree with you.

Problem is... I am more and more convinced that Chairman Chen wanted hardware to fail.

Posted via CB10
    Hate to admit it, but I agree with you too. Just doesn't make any sense ATM. Then all of a sudden this Android talk comes into play. Humm.
    07-31-15 08:14 PM
    Hate to admit it, but I agree with you too. Just doesn't make any sense ATM. Then all of a sudden this Android talk comes into play. Humm.
    Either Chen wanted it to fail or is completely inept when it comes to hardware. Either is unacceptable.

Posted via Z30
    07-31-15 11:11 PM
    Either Chen wanted it to fail or is completely inept when it comes to hardware. Either is unacceptable.

Posted via Z30
    It's not either, it's both. He's totally inept and wants it to fail. I'm willing to be that even if it fails he walks away with a big pile of cash.
    We could go on and on with all of the quality issues that are being ignored (like the infamous "WiFi Connected Limited" or Double Typing) but what's the use - nothing will change.

I think I'm going to start another post to rattle the Board's cage - anyway it seems that we think alike
    08-01-15 02:55 PM
    I think people are being way too hard on Chen. BB had a limited time to respond to the fundamental change in the industry caused by the iPhone. Google took advantage of the disruptive situation with Android shortly after. BB had one to two years or at most three years for a strong response to stay in the game. They didn't. They've been dead ever since in terms if headsets. That's like 2010 or 2011. BB10 was too late and not nearly enough to matter. None of this was Chen's fault. In terms of handsets he was given a zombie.
    08-01-15 03:39 PM
    I think people are being way too hard on Chen. BB had a limited time to respond to the fundamental change in the industry caused by the iPhone. Google took advantage of the disruptive situation with Android shortly after. BB had one to two years or at most three years for a strong response to stay in the game. They didn't. They've been dead ever since in terms if headsets. That's like 2010 or 2011. BB10 was too late and not nearly enough to matter. None of this was Chen's fault. In terms of handsets he was given a zombie.
    Chen took what BlackBerry had done to compete with Android and iOS, make an OS that was optimized for full touch, and ran back to the BBOS days. How many BBOS people have moved to the Classic? BlackBerry had a lot of hardware design in the pipeline, and we know from CrackBerry and Upstream podcasts Chen killed them off and focused on the Classic. So yeah Chen has his hands in destroying BlackBerry hardware sales.

Posted via Z30
    08-01-15 08:06 PM
    Chen took what BlackBerry had done to compete with Android and iOS, make an OS that was optimized for full touch, and ran back to the BBOS days. How many BBOS people have moved to the Classic? BlackBerry had a lot of hardware design in the pipeline, and we know from CrackBerry and Upstream podcasts Chen killed them off and focused on the Classic. So yeah Chen has his hands in destroying BlackBerry hardware sales.

Posted via Z30
    But I don't think he had a choice. I think it was pretty clear by the time he took over that BB10 had failed.
    08-01-15 08:18 PM
    But I don't think he had a choice. I think it was pretty clear by the time he took over that BB10 had failed.
    So you take something that was moving units and release devices that are not moving units, nor provide anything for customer to upgrade to in the all touch space. BB10 had 9 months on the market when Chen took over, and 6 months in the US. It was released on overpriced hardware in a beta grade OS. It sold more in the first three quarters than the original iPhone sold in its first three quarters. BB10 was abandoned by BlackBerry before they gave it a chance.

Posted via Z30
    08-01-15 08:44 PM
    The Passport isn't a low end processor. Also BB10 is a pig on RAM needed. Worse OS for RAM requirements right now. Z10 had horrible battery life and the processor ran ridiculously hot under load. Your Classic is a tiny little screen with a poor PPI, that's is one reason it runs longer. My Z30 SoC and GPU runs circles around the S4 Plus in the Classic and Z10, because I have used a Z10. But keep up with this less is more mentality with BB10 as Chen loves it because that is what killed BBOS and turned the BlackBerry brand image to garbage.

Oh and your Classic has a massive 2500 mA battery compared to the iPhone 6 having an 1800 mA and running a lot more screen, but just keep thinking BB10 is some magical OS that is defying the laws of thermodynamics and electrochemical battery properties.

Posted via Z30
    In this quote what exactly you want to say the BlackBerry phone are not that bad that you are telling they are the finest phone ever I have used

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-01-15 09:45 PM
    The problem with bb10 is it has no ability to kill apps that are actually draining the battery. Bb10 should warn users when the battery is decreasing by more than 10% an hour and offer options to avoid it. Either by postponing tasks or even telling the user to turn down the brightness or stop using apps.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-01-15 10:18 PM
    So you take something that was moving units and release devices that are not moving units, nor provide anything for customer to upgrade to in the all touch space. BB10 had 9 months on the market when Chen took over, and 6 months in the US. It was released on overpriced hardware in a beta grade OS. It sold more in the first three quarters than the original iPhone sold in its first three quarters. BB10 was abandoned by BlackBerry before they gave it a chance.

Posted via Z30
    Sales dropped even before he started I think. Basically Nokia and BB made the mistake of trying to go with a proprietory OS, without Microsofts enormous size and resources.

The other change in the phone market is the change in the size of the players. Look at the size of BB's competing companies in 2008 versus Google/Samsung, Apple and Microsoft. I don't think this could have turned out much differently.
    08-01-15 10:47 PM
    If he eliminated BB10, then he should not be.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 11:29 PM
    Sales dropped even before he started I think. Basically Nokia and BB made the mistake of trying to go with a proprietory OS, without Microsofts enormous size and resources.

The other change in the phone market is the change in the size of the players. Look at the size of BB's competing companies in 2008 versus Google/Samsung, Apple and Microsoft. I don't think this could have turned out much differently.
    This is true. He might have quickly replaced the Q10 with a larger screen and fixed the double type issue. He might have quickly upgraded the Z30. He might have pushed just these two phones. We might be at the same or slightly better position today. All they can do now is to come up with reliable phones that have access to a proper ecosystem. I value reliability and it appears that the Passport and Classic are not stellar in this regard

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 11:37 PM
    Question:
    Question:
    How do you envision a full touch Passport??

Did Chen deserve to be a CEO-gandalf-en-een-half.jpg

Posted via my awesome Classic
    08-02-15 09:11 AM
    q: What potential CEO would want to risk their reputation saving Blackberry?
    a: John Chen

q: Why would he want to do this?
    a: Because it's a huge challenge. He is still healthy enough to meet this challenge and old enough to take the golden parachute if it comes to that.

q: Why would Blackberry hire him?
    a: Because his previous experience qualifies him for the job.

Its a dirty job and now that the honeymoon is over, the Crackberry community is getting nasty. However, Blackberry is a publicly traded company and has a responsibility to its shareholders.

Regardless of how wonderful an OS BB10 is, the rest of the ecosystem is a flop with just about no chance at all of ever being competitive.
    Given the right circumstances maybe the public could decide that Blackberry security trumps a vast eco-system. This could happen, but it would need to happen soon.

In my opinion it's much more plausible that John Chen will do what his resume suggests he will do: get rid of the Hardware business and transform Blackberry into a software company, which may or may not succeed.
    If he fails Blackberry staggers down the road bleeding.
    If he succeeds Blackberry is likely sold to the highest bidder.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 08-02-15 at 04:25 PM.
    GadgetTravel, TGR1 and Blacklatino like this.
    08-02-15 02:39 PM
    That would be nice, but the Classic would have needed a battery the size of the Passport to keep that powered. Part of the appeal to the Classic is the battery life, which is partially from using an older chipset.

I always chuckle at the people who say they want 4K displays and quad-core processors on their handset and never consider the fact that the bleeding things would never leave the charger since the battery would never make it through an entire day.

Posted via CB10
    (OT)

New processor gen **can** be more power efficient.
    I believe the main battery drain (and why it needs a big battery) on my Passport is the screen, so battery life on this device largely depends on "screen-on" time, and mine is high...

Did Chen deserve to be a CEO-img_20150803_071547.png

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-02-15 04:17 PM
    The leader BlackBerry deserves but not the one it needs right now

Check Out TechCraze
    08-02-15 05:09 PM
    We can all speculate what Chen has been hired to do. It is possible he is doing exactly what he has been hired to do, in which case he could be considered a GOOD CEO. However, if he does what he has been hired to do and at the same time saves the hardware business and makes us (fans) happy, he could then be considered a GREAT CEO. I just wonder what we should call him if he fails to achieve any of the above! :-)
    08-02-15 08:51 PM
    Chen is a very lucky guy, if BlackBerry falls apart, fans will say "the company was sinking already before Chen arrived"; if BlackBerry rises from its current situation, fans will say "Chen is a hero", so no matter what happens, Chen is going to be a winner even if he does or says absolutely nothing.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 09:53 AM
    Chen is a very lucky guy, if BlackBerry falls apart, fans will say "the company was sinking already before Chen arrived"; if BlackBerry rises from its current situation, fans will say "Chen is a hero", so no matter what happens, Chen is going to be a winner even if he does or says absolutely nothing.

Posted via CB10
    Not all fans. I think Chen has basically killed hardware with his poor product choices. I think he over reacted on killing a lot of hardware projects and the ones he went with were the poorest available. Heins did most of the staff cuts. Chen is turning BlackBerry into a software company, a lot by acquisition. I personally think Heins could have grown hardware given more time and the for sale sign not going up. The Z30 showed they were on the right track, just needed to get the development cycle down so they were competitive on the specs front with screen resolutions and such, but Prem and the board had a panic attack and put up the for sale sign. Chen has been letting everything BlackBerry had coast except BES. Different people have different views, they won't all be the same. Some here clearly view Chen as a savior figure of BlackBerry, others view him as the harbinger of death for what they love about BlackBerry. Clearly I fall into the latter category.

Posted via Z30
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    09-07-15 01:05 PM
    Chen was brought in to make the company profitable in whatever way he deemed was best. He wasn't asked to come in and save the handset business, he was asked to come in and turn the company around in whatever way possible. He's a software guy and always has been. Its not like people were clawing to get that position as the company was seen as a sinking ship (still somewhat is) and he was a logical choice considering his past.

With that being said I think the direction he's taken handsets in is completely baffling. The Leap has to be the worst decision Blackberry has made since the Storm was introduced. A low end phone targeted at the young professional? These are the people that want a high end phone with the latest and greatest. That was a bad decision but who knows, maybe the slider will turn out to be something that is half way decent.
    Yes he was brought in and he's failed to make BBRY profitable. A sustained manner. His 1st mistake we gutting the BB10 hardware division and screwing BB10 Development.
    He blames the platform is seems, and not his Marketing Incompetence the fact he refused to release a Z30 replacement, the one single device the MAJOR I TY asked for.

His 2nd mistake we ignoring the consumer market. Who do you think work for Enterprise? CONSUMERS. BINGO....

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 03:04 PM
    The problem with bb10 is it has no ability to kill apps that are actually draining the battery. Bb10 should warn users when the battery is decreasing by more than 10% an hour and offer options to avoid it. Either by postponing tasks or even telling the user to turn down the brightness or stop using apps.

Posted via CB10
    You got that Backwards. IOS and Android Apps kill the battery. BB10 allows you to take total control and to kill off apps you do not want running. So yes BB10 has the ability to kill apps. Quite easily accessible though swiping down and going into device monitor.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 03:10 PM
    It's not either, it's both. He's totally inept and wants it to fail. I'm willing to be that even if it fails he walks away with a big pile of cash.
    We could go on and on with all of the quality issues that are being ignored (like the infamous "WiFi Connected Limited" or Double Typing) but what's the use - nothing will change.

I think I'm going to start another post to rattle the Board's cage - anyway it seems that we think alike
    Here you go
    http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...wrong-1031543/
    09-12-15 06:15 PM
    I do not agree that BlackBerry has not brought good products to the market, the PP is an incredible device and outstanding and different from all and everything on the market - this was a very good and courageous step, but more need to follow and while building the security platforms and sw-business continue making such devices ' slider and update or classic 2

The PP keyboard is revolutionary, no body has brought this type of innovation to the market since years!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 06:58 PM
95 1234