It struck to me that there has almost not been any discussion on robustness of the current (latest version) OS's in the market. I have been on BB 7 and jumped on to BB10 with the launch of Z10 couple of years ago. I am currently on BB 10.3.1.1779. I have had chance to use Android IOS & Windows . I am of the opinion that BB 10 is better of when it comes to Features and Robustness. So what do you think?

Keyed in from my Lovely Z10
    06-27-15 12:34 PM
    What constitutes robustness to you?

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-27-15 01:47 PM
    A strong operating system, never seams to freeze or crash, it just plain works. I'd say that BlackBerry is the most robust.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 01:23 PM
    A strong operating system, never seams to freeze or crash, it just plain works. I'd say that BlackBerry is the most robust.

Posted via CB10
    My Amazon Appstore crashed and took the mighty Passport down yesterday (updating Adobe Photoshop Touch)...

(admittedly, yes, I have a lot of apps always open, and many browser tabs)

That tells me, native apps are still the best, and I can't really recall any (?) crashes involving those... :-)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-28-15 05:50 PM
    The home button iDevices get annoying quickly. I don't like hunting for this hard-to-press button. A swipe is so much easier, no need to aim for anything, ...

Android has a messy menu structure, and the open apps screen is just not my thing. Doesn't give you this MS-"Windows" like feeling I get from BB10 on my Passport...

Which of the current Smartphone OS's has better features and  is also more Robust?-img_20150629_085757.png

:-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-28-15 05:59 PM
    Best OS out of the box is BB10 IMHO. But it is quickly hobbled by the app situation. More and more Google Apps are integrating Play services which make putting them on BlackBerry difficult. All OS's are pretty much app launchers and have been since the start of the smartphone, so now it is the one that can do the most with the apps is the best. I'd say iOS is probably still the app king, but Android is a close second.

Posted via Z30
    06-28-15 07:29 PM
    I have been a fan of the HUB feature. It will be loved by all. But now it is more than two years old, so I won't treat it as an OS feature as it is now the DNA of the OS. The upgrade of security for PP is great, still waiting for it on my Z10. Amazon app store has been a good development as it brings some apps which are other wise not available on BBW on to my device. Blend is a turning point for me. Cause I prefer to handle one device at a time be it my Desktop / Laptop or my Mobile , but still have the latest info at the end of my fingers (or in / under my palm). Improved OS of BB10 has brought a sea of change when it comes to keying and editing, BB Assistant and BB MAPs. So on...

Last edited by veepuri; 06-29-15 at 03:13 AM.
    06-29-15 02:53 AM
    What constitutes robustness to you?

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    To keep it clean and simple, freezing / crashing of OS / Preloaded Features and getting professional help of some sort. Might vary from device to device and even OS to OS. It's just that you need to rate it unbiased at heart.
    Example : some apps tailored for Android crash on both Android and BB10. But as a result Android freezes but not BB10 OS. Some apps tailored for BB10 bring down the OS.

06-29-15 03:01 AM
    I consider BB10 the best OS out of the box in terms of features, but I am yet unsure if it was by design or by necessity (they had to do it because of the lack of app ecosystem). Still, IMHO iOS takes the crown for me as the most robust one. Sure, it has bugs, but all OSs do. Android is not as robust, but it may be due to it being a little more complex than iOS and a more customizeble. Windows phone is a little weird (you either love the interface or you hate it, there is little middle ground), but it has become a stable and mature OS in the last year.

The problem I see is that BB10 is the least sure OS to be supported in the next, let us say, 3 years. I give iOS and Android a 100% chance to be supported, Windows phone 90% chance due to Microsoft's deep pockets and BB10 i give 50-60%.
    06-29-15 04:12 AM
    ios for sure. I had android 2 years ago but I don't see anything beyond the flagship phones being an enjoyable experience whereas apple is still updating iphone 4/4s to a degree. The only caveat is that the further you get away from the apple ecosystem, the less of a wholesome experience you get. So if you have other apple products, it's definitely the best. If you don't, android is probably better. I would say windows is a close contender to #2 but the app gap is still there. I treat bb10 the same way as windows except MSFT has a much bigger "platform" in terms of microsoft services, and I see a lot of growth in the windows mobile OS because of xbox360 and connected cars.

I haven't had a bb10 device yet but based on what I see in the forums, it is definitely worse than my experience with apple. My phone has NEVER crashed on me. Instagram crashed a few times a while back but it was most likely a problem with the app. The icing on the cake for me is that there is literally an apple store wherever I travel. If I have any problems whatsoever for my phone, I can take it there and tehy will usually fix it on the spot or replace it for free. And, if you use the icloud, you can often times get a brand new phone or get a loaner if a repair takes longer than a day with the exact setup as your current phone loaded within 10 minutes. I hate the fact that they lock you into their ecosystem but sometimes if you can eat the crap they give you, it tends to taste good.
    06-29-15 11:11 AM
    This is highly subjective, but this is my opinion.

OS6 was very buggy until the last build I got from T-Mo. Since then my 9780 was a rock. It simply NEVER crashed or had any issues whatsoever with the OS after the last update from T-Mo. I used it for five years and loved it.

My 9900 is on T-Mo's last build out and seems very solid. No crashes, great battery life, and fast OS.

Because I'm still a big fan of Bridging to my Playbook, I am still on a 9900. The good thing is that by the time I migrate to OS10, it will be that much more mature.
    06-29-15 11:31 AM
    Regarding other platforms, I've used iOS, Android and WindowsPhone extensively as well.

IMO, Windowsphone 8.1 was my favorite thus far (taking out the lack of apps). The live tiles were the best, and I really liked the MS Office integration for business. Plus, Cortana was a step above Siri for what I did. Not only her sense of humor and great singing voice, but you could location base your tasks to Cortana. i.e., "Cortana, next time I am home remind me to take out the garbage" or "Cortana, next time I am here remind me to ask Tim if he has the contract yet". Here is where you are, like Tim's office or your office.

I had iOS from the first release for iPhone 4s to 8.x. Very developed OS, no issues, worked fine. Siri was robotic compared to Cortana, but she is older. I grew weary of the standard icons plastered on home pages look. It's not my cup of tea, but it was very robust and I can absolutely see the mass appeal.

I have had an Android off and on since 2.3. My current is 4.3 and it has come a long way. I have no issues with the most recent version of Android and think their OS is well developed. I like the fact you can customize your device much more than iOS, and the widgets are very handy. I don't think Google's assistant or offshoots like LG's "Genie" are as good as Siri or Cortana, but they are not bad.

You could honestly make an argument for any one of the current platforms out there on the smartphone market. As I stated, it's highly subjective. Personally, I like my 9900's 7.x and my Playbooks current OS, but many here will argue that it's the stone ages compared to BB10. To each their own.

Bottom line? If if works for you and doesn't crash and does what you want, when you want, as fast as you want, then it's ROBUST to YOU!
    06-29-15 11:39 AM
    Too me BB10 is more robust in that it is more what I expect an Operating System to be and is capable of handling more complex tasks.

But robust in that it has more features or is more stable.... sadly no. BB10 is getting better and better but they still have a lot of growing pains to get through.

I've been very impressed with the stability of my wife's iDevices.... over a year after she got her iPad I had to look up how to do a hard reset. I bet most BlackBerry users have had to do one of those, long before a year comes around. And the iOS apps don't crash like BB10's Android Apps do.

In a perfect world BB10 would have been released 7-8 years ago and would have matured along with iOS and Android... and would have BLOWN those OS's away. But it doesn't matter how good you are, if you start a ten lap race when everyone else is on lap nine.
    06-29-15 11:49 AM