Maybe the best thing to happen to BlackBerry and it's users would be... Google?! Really?

Bear with me on this. I saw another report suggesting that Google might want BlackBerry, and it set me speculating.

How about a scenario where Google buys ALL of BlackBerry, and not only maintains the brand for at least a few more years, but continues to introduce BB10 phones. Why would they do this? Because... (drumroll please) they want BB10 as the next Android.

Consider it: secure kernel (and an enterprise ecosystem that would make them unbeatable in that segment), and a more elegant UI overall. With the bonus of backward compatibility with existing Android apps. This would also give Google an easy way to capture most of those old-school BBOS users as they finally phase out.

In the meantime, BlackBerry remains as a brand for at least a few years, perhaps with Motorola handsets starting to use BB10 as well as the platforms merge... Maybe we'd see Google Play available on BB10 within the year...
    kenicolo likes this.
    10-06-13 11:31 PM
    I see nothing but benefits in it.

Sadly, I don't see it happening.
    10-07-13 12:08 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised, they have the cash and they have the pedigree.

Who predicted they would have purchased Motorola?

BB10 software + Motorola hardware ?
    10-07-13 12:24 AM
    The thing is, it actually gives Google a new platform to migrate to, with all the messy migration stuff done.

Meanwhile, with Google's backing all those enterprise clients who have started shying away from BlackBerry can start coming back.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    10-07-13 12:55 AM
    Sorry, Thunderstruck, but you're dreaming again.

Why would Google ditch Android, which owns 80% of the market, and for which they know everything about, and have been developing for a decade, and for which they have a huge ecosystem and many partners, for BB10, which has <1% of the market, is a failure on the market, and would break all their partner agreements?

If Google bought BB, BB10 would be discontinued within 30 days. They'd be buying it for the patents and perhaps the QNX car business, and nothing more. Take a look at their last couple dozen acquisitions, and you'll see how they work. Google has less than zero interest in BB10.
    cgk likes this.
    10-07-13 03:17 AM
    Sorry, Thunderstruck, but you're dreaming again.

Why would Google ditch Android, which owns 80% of the market, and for which they know everything about, and have been developing for a decade, and for which they have a huge ecosystem and many partners, for BB10, which has <1% of the market, is a failure on the market, and would break all their partner agreements?

If Google bought BB, BB10 would be discontinued within 30 days. They'd be buying it for the patents and perhaps the QNX car business, and nothing more. Take a look at their last couple dozen acquisitions, and you'll see how they work. Google has less than zero interest in BB10.
    This +1.

Google has what it needs to succeed in the mobile world and any acquisition of BlackBerry would result in an immediate shutdown of hardware. They might keep the branding to signify they have 'BlackBerry grade security' but that's it. It also doesn't pan out in a business point of view.
    The sole reason BlackBerry is considered for a buyout are the patents which are extremely valuable, the rest is a money pit.

Google has the hardware, it has the software and it has the market. They don't want anything else but BlackBerry owned patents.
    10-07-13 08:23 AM
    This +1.

Google has what it needs to succeed in the mobile world and any acquisition of BlackBerry would result in an immediate shutdown of hardware. They might keep the branding to signify they have 'BlackBerry grade security' but that's it. It also doesn't pan out in a business point of view.
    The sole reason BlackBerry is considered for a buyout are the patents which are extremely valuable, the rest is a money pit.

Google has the hardware, it has the software and it has the market. They don't want anything else but BlackBerry owned patents.
    How about splitting off BBM, and selling that to Google. They could easily tie that into the whole google+ experience, and have a true any device solution. It would also give BB enough money to stay the course and transition completely.

When you are down and out.... you have to give something to get something in return.
    10-07-13 08:29 AM
    Possibly, if they were interested in strengthening the Nexus only products, which I personally think is a smart long term strategy.

At this stage in the game though, it's the patent portfolio that smells sweet to Google and the will be the primary focus, then maybe snatch the most useful parts of BB10 and bolt them onto android.
    10-07-13 08:45 AM
    How about splitting off BBM, and selling that to Google. They could easily tie that into the whole google+ experience, and have a true any device solution. It would also give BB enough money to stay the course and transition completely.

When you are down and out.... you have to give something to get something in return.
    If Google wants, they can build their own BBM. There's no need to buy it.
    Regardless of my previous statement, would you trust a company that's in the business of collecting user data for profit to buy one of the most secure messaging platforms and integrate it into their own portfolio? I wouldn't. BlackBerry has a great reputation when it comes to security, with Google, it's a public secret they scan through anything you do to extrapolate it to revenue. I mean seriously, they scan your emails for targeted advertising.
    I do not want to hijack this thread, but there are other ways for BlackBerry to survive without selling off their crown jewel, just browse the forum
    ryanza likes this.
    10-07-13 08:46 AM

I don't think it would be smart to sell of one of the few remaining shining stars of the company just to continue on with the parts (handset sales) that are floundering. Just my thoughts on that.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 08:46 AM
    Maybe the best thing to happen to BlackBerry and it's users would be... Google?! Really?

Bear with me on this. I saw another report suggesting that Google might want BlackBerry, and it set me speculating.

How about a scenario where Google buys ALL of BlackBerry, and not only maintains the brand for at least a few more years, but continues to introduce BB10 phones. Why would they do this? Because... (drumroll please) they want BB10 as the next Android.

Consider it: secure kernel (and an enterprise ecosystem that would make them unbeatable in that segment), and a more elegant UI overall. With the bonus of backward compatibility with existing Android apps. This would also give Google an easy way to capture most of those old-school BBOS users as they finally phase out.

In the meantime, BlackBerry remains as a brand for at least a few years, perhaps with Motorola handsets starting to use BB10 as well as the platforms merge... Maybe we'd see Google Play available on BB10 within the year...
    this could make sense especially that google did establish its office in Waterloo.
    10-07-13 08:53 AM
    If Google wants, they can build their own BBM. There's no need to buy it.
    Regardless of my previous statement, would you trust a company that's in the business of collecting user data for profit to buy one of the most secure messaging platforms and integrate it into their own portfolio? I wouldn't. BlackBerry has a great reputation when it comes to security, with Google, it's a public secret they scan through anything you do to extrapolate it to revenue. I mean seriously, they scan your emails for targeted advertising.
    I do not want to hijack this thread, but there are other ways for BlackBerry to survive without selling off their crown jewel, just browse the forum
    Its funny how the "Crown Jewel" makes them no profit, hasn't actually been released for any other platform completely, and has a very cloudy future.... This is the best BB has to offer? I surely hope not. Maybe the parts of BB that actually generate revenue, are the pieces you keep and continue to support to make more money.
    10-07-13 08:57 AM
    I don't think it would be smart to sell of one of the few remaining shining stars of the company just to continue on with the parts (handset sales) that are floundering. Just my thoughts on that.

Posted via CB10
    Its pretty simple... if no one wants to / has the ability to buy the whole company.... pick a part that actually has value and sell it. Were you suggesting something else?
    10-07-13 08:58 AM
    sorry, but google would be far more likely to do what it did with bumptop and many other acquisitions. that is to halt the distribution of that company, and over the next year or so blend their tech into Android.

It could happen in theory but if Google bought BlackBerry I think youd see the end of BlackBerry and in year or two the rise of security in Android.
    10-07-13 09:02 AM
    You are assuming Google *wants* to provide the level of support BBRY would need. I seriously doubt it unless they drastically change their business model.
    10-07-13 09:45 AM
    If anything they would only want the security stuff and integrate it into an upgraded version of Gmail and Android Device Manager that is available only to paid Google Apps customers.

They don't need or want QNX. They already have a dual headed OS monster of Android and Chrome OS.
    10-07-13 10:28 AM
    Thunderbuck is smoking the good stuff again
    wyrdfool and kbz1960 like this.
    10-07-13 10:42 AM
    I think it would make more sense strategically for Apple to buy BlackBerry than it is for Google. As others have mentioned, Google already has Chrome OS to play around with and as a backup OS should there be that minuscule chance that they move away from Android. Also, security is not a priority for them and it would cause a lot of concern for those that still care for it. Apple on the other hand would solidify their foot into enterprise as the only choice and BB10 could be used as the staging ground as an alternative OS to set themselves for the future when the older iOS is lacking.
    Last edited by jay_men; 10-07-13 at 11:27 AM.
    10-07-13 11:09 AM
    Its pretty simple... if no one wants to / has the ability to buy the whole company.... pick a part that actually has value and sell it. Were you suggesting something else?
    Ya like how about focus on the crown jewel, go cross platform and find a way to monetize it.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 11:12 AM
    Thunderbuck is smoking the good stuff again
    Don't I wish...

Points taken about Chrome OS, but considering BB10's support for Qt, HTML5, etc (AND that secure kernal thing), it still struck me as at least a fanciful possibility...
    10-07-13 11:17 AM
    I think it would make more sense strategically for Apple to buy BlackBerry than it is for Google. As others have mentioned, Google already has Chrome OS to play around with and as a backup OS should there be that minuscule chance that they move away from Android. Also, security is not a priority for them and it would cause a lot of concern for those that still care for it. Apple on the other hand would solidify their foot into enterprise as the only choice and BB10 could be used as the staging ground as an alternative OS to set themselves for the future when the older iOS is lacking.
    Absolutely no chance, none - it is simply not in apple's DNA to buy another OS and offer it as alternative to iOS, absolutely unthinking given their current dominance - there is more chance of Tim Cook coming on stage at next conference wearing a dress and smoking a crackpipe.
    10-07-13 03:03 PM
    Absolutely no chance, none - it is simply not in apple's DNA to buy another OS and offer it as alternative to iOS, absolutely unthinking given their current dominance - there is more chance of Tim Cook coming on stage at next conference wearing a dress and smoking a crackpipe.
    Well Apple is known to do what they want regarding to what the market thinks today and I can see the benefits to them if there's that slim chance it ever happens however remote. Putting hardware outside of the picture, there can be a lot to gain (security, NOC, enterprise, patents) Anyways, I'm not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be surprised either.
    10-07-13 05:10 PM
    The thing is, it actually gives Google a new platform to migrate to, with all the messy migration stuff done.

Meanwhile, with Google's backing all those enterprise clients who have started shying away from BlackBerry can start coming back.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    Wow, how low the mighty have fallen. If anyone came on this forum two years ago, and mentioned BB & Google in the same sentence at all, the fanboys would have been on them like white on rice. Talk about grabbing at straws. Just accept the fact that BB is....TOAST!!!!
    10-07-13 05:21 PM
    Wouldn't it make more sense for Samsung? Rumors have been swirling that they are unhappy with being under Google's thumb.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 09:51 PM
    I even saw an article that some guy at Google said android is (or will be) more secure than ios. Drumroll...

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 10:04 PM
40 12