In his interview for Forbes Chen has recently reiterated that his strategy for Blackberry is to focus on enterprise customers, mainly in regulated industries. I can see how this could work for the services business if Blackberry could capitalize on its strengths and become a preferred provider of enterprise mobility solutions to this market niche. There are probably a few thousand corporations and organizations worldwide that fit this target group profile and could provide Blackberry with a decent level of recurring revenues.

However, I do not get how this strategy could work for the device business. I believe that even within these regulated industries a majority of businesses have already adopted BYOD for part of most of their employees, therefore the decision about the choice of the device is made individually by each of the employees and is based on their consumer preferences. Sure, there will be a group of people among these employees that do not care about apps and heavily rely on physical keyboards or will not be allowed to carry their device of choice because of security issues. They will continue to use Blackberries, however this will be an extremely small group, based on which Blackberry would not be able to sustain its premium device business not which in opinion could justify further development of the Blackberry 10 platform. My point is that you cannot neglect consumer preferences even if you focus on enterprise because in majority of cases the choice of the device will be made by consumer not the enterprise.

Just to add to the above: assuming the rumors about Blackberry working on a high specs 64bit octa-core device are true, how does that relate to the enterprise strategy? Are such high specs required for security, messaging, productivity tools? I don�t think so. Than why is Blackberry pushing the specs so high? Well, even if some C level executives are secretly playing the latest Angry Birds edition during the board meeting (I'm sure some of them do) they probably do it on their iPads. Maybe tha explanation for such specs upgrade would be to get the Android runtime to run faster, but again, the runtime is to close the app gap, and why would Chen bother about it if he is after the target group that does not care about apps?

Any thoughts?
    02-14-14 06:43 AM
    Sigh. Why can't people just be free to enjoy the phone of their choice.
    mk2234 likes this.
    02-14-14 06:48 AM
    Because the phone of their choice needs to have octo-core, 4GB RAM, full-HD, 128GB internal, 3500mAh battery, micro SDCARD, etc...

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    02-14-14 07:26 AM
    Sorry, I'm not sure what's your point. This forum is about Blackberry as a company, not about phones. Pls see the following link if confused:

http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...-forum-839972/

Pls stay on topic.
    TGR1 and CairnsRock like this.
    02-14-14 07:27 AM
    The idea of a coming superphone always persists on forums like this no matter what the market position or explicitly announced strategy exists. It will always capture the imagination more than something like the Jakarta.
    02-14-14 07:50 AM
    The idea of a coming superphone always persists on forums like this no matter what the market position or explicitly announced strategy exists. It will always capture the imagination more than something like the Jakarta.
    The question is: can you make the device business profitable if it's targeted to such a niche audience and does not fully address the general consumer needs?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 08:10 AM
    The question is: can you make the device business profitable if it's targeted to such a niche audience and does not fully address the general consumer needs?
    It doesn't make sense, does it? The idea is that a flagship superphone will draw attention to the platform and boost sales of more profitable models. The Z30 was that kind of phone and most carriers aren't offering it. I imagine the carriers will let Blackberry know what they are interested in. It's hard to imagine anyone outside of Crackberry being enthusiastic about a high-spec Blackberry phone right now. Chen has been pretty explicit about the hardware direction the company is going it, hasn't he?
    02-14-14 08:46 AM
    In his interview for Forbes Chen has recently reiterated that his strategy for Blackberry is to focus on enterprise customers, mainly in regulated industries. I can see how this could work for the services business if Blackberry could capitalize on its strengths and become a preferred provider of enterprise mobility solutions to this market niche. There are probably a few thousand corporations and organizations worldwide that fit this target group profile and could provide Blackberry with a decent level of recurring revenues.

However, I do not get how this strategy could work for the device business. I believe that even within these regulated industries a majority of businesses have already adopted BYOD for part of most of their employees, therefore the decision about the choice of the device is made individually by each of the employees and is based on their consumer preferences. Sure, there will be a group of people among these employees that do not care about apps and heavily rely on physical keyboards or will not be allowed to carry their device of choice because of security issues. They will continue to use Blackberries, however this will be an extremely small group, based on which Blackberry would not be able to sustain its premium device business not which in opinion could justify further development of the Blackberry 10 platform. My point is that you cannot neglect consumer preferences even if you focus on enterprise because in majority of cases the choice of the device will be made by consumer not the enterprise.

Just to add to the above: assuming the rumors about Blackberry working on a high specs 64bit octa-core device are true, how does that relate to the enterprise strategy? Are such high specs required for security, messaging, productivity tools? I don�t think so. Than why is Blackberry pushing the specs so high? Well, even if some C level executives are secretly playing the latest Angry Birds edition during the board meeting (I'm sure some of them do) they probably do it on their iPads. Maybe tha explanation for such specs upgrade would be to get the Android runtime to run faster, but again, the runtime is to close the app gap, and why would Chen bother about it if he is after the target group that does not care about apps?

Any thoughts?
    I agree with you. Locked down, highly secure phones for enterprise don't need awesome cameras, excellent editing software, super fast processors. They need reliable backend services, consistent and generally rugged hardware with likely no camera, solid general apps. While there is definitely a market, IMO it isn't all that large and it doesn't necessarily require much innovation that would attract much from other demographics.

As soon as we start talking of arenas outside this area, other platforms rapidly become highly competitive, particularly in professional occupations that start using specialized apps from customized app stores. BBRY just doesn't have a strong cohesive support system. If John Chen intends to expand beyond enterprise eventually, which I am somewhat skeptical about, I think he would need to start working on this NOW. As always, it's a question of resources. They may not have the options to act as they should.
    Voodoo Child likes this.
    02-14-14 09:04 AM
    It doesn't make sense, does it? The idea is that a flagship superphone will draw attention to the platform and boost sales of more profitable models. The Z30 was that kind of phone and most carriers aren't offering it. I imagine the carriers will let Blackberry know what they are interested in. It's hard to imagine anyone outside of Crackberry being enthusiastic about a high-spec Blackberry phone right now. Chen has been pretty explicit about the hardware direction the company is going it, hasn't he?
    Agreed, but what really worries me is not the fact that BlackBerry is working on a high-spec device, but that Chen seams to plan to target with it at extremely narrow group of users. I could still see a lot of BlackBerry enthusiasts to be interested in such device, provided that it's does not neglect a typical consumer type needs, the primary of which are apps, media and services.

I just can't see how you can make a profit on a high end device if you can sell it in anything less than millions. And there does not seam to be millions of CEO lining up to buy high end BlackBerries.

It's funny that Chen compared Blackberry to Porsche and Lamborghini... what's their market share? 0.001%? Don't think you can justify development of proprietary OS and device manufacturing business at this scale.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:09 AM
    I agree with you. Locked down, highly secure phones for enterprise don't need awesome cameras, excellent editing software, super fast processors. They need reliable backend services, consistent and generally rugged hardware with likely no camera, solid general apps. While there is definitely a market, IMO it isn't all that large and it doesn't necessarily require much innovation that would attract much from other demographics.

As soon as we start talking of arenas outside this area, other platforms rapidly become highly competitive, particularly in professional occupations that start using specialized apps from customized app stores. BBRY just doesn't have a strong cohesive support system. If John Chen intends to expand beyond enterprise eventually, which I am somewhat skeptical about, I think he would need to start working on this NOW. As always, it's a question of resources. They may not have the options to act as they should.
    I also wonder what happened with the mobile computing idea promoted by Thorsten, where your mobile device replaces your desktop while at the office. This is something that could require much higher specs than today's devices. If properly implemented and marketed it could potentially expand the user base in enterprise beyond C level executives. Chen seams to be more software than hardware guy, so maybe he can pull this off.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:18 AM
    Great points, domolsz. I've expressed similar thoughts in other related posts. Focusing on enterprises makes sense, but it's unclear how BlackBerry intends to do this from a device perspective. With BYOD, the consumer IS the enterprise, so if your device doesn't resonate with consumers, it won't have much penetration.

Of course, not all industries are doing BYOD, but as TGR1 mentioned, these likely are security-sensitive orgs where no-frill devices are issued. But I actually think this is an opportunity for BlackBerry. With BYOD, you get to use a device of your preference for both work and play. That's great, except that once you start accessing corporate resources, you're basically signing your device away: IT can lock it down, track it, wipe it, etc. If the org is really aggressive, they can prevent app installation, camera use, etc. That fun, full-featured smartphone can be dumbed-down real quick. What's in it for the user? I'd almost rather have a corporate-issued device so that what's mine stays mine. I think others would agree if they really knew what they were getting into when using their personal device for work, even if just for email access. Balance helps address this situation, but I think it's been a missed opportunity since BlackBerry doesn't talk about the user benefits and has limited it to BES vs. general ActiveSync.

I disagree, though, that there isn't much need for innovation when it comes to devices intended for enterprises or high-security orgs. It takes a kludge of products to secure the POTUS's phone; BlackBerry should design a device+service mobile security solution that's good enough for government leaders. And there are plenty of enterprise use cases that BlackBerry could focus on, such as integration with physical security access solutions, meeting/conference room management, etc.
    02-14-14 03:54 PM

Any thoughts?
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the quantity race. Blackberry will never win over iPhone and Samsung. Some people buy a new iPhone every year.. Blackberry has no chance in hell to compete with that.

They aren't making a lot of money off handsets right now, actually they are losing a ton of money because of handsets.
    To reverse that he gets a company Foxconn do do the dirty work for cheap to make the Jakara 1 by 1 to minimize the write offs like last year.

His goal is to make Blackberry profitable and services give them a huge profit.
    But from what everyone is hearing about these rumoured specs of the new BB10 device coming out between Sept/Dec will be an android speced BB10 phone. The reason for that is that Blackberry get harped on because of its specs. Blackberry doesn't have the leeway like Apple does and can put out a device with low specs. (on paper the 5S is fast but I've seen real world examples and it's pretty horrifying)

Overall: the whole thing about being a Prosumer/Niche player is you have to have a high quality phone. My Q10 or the Z30 I would call it a consumer phone since it's below/on par with other "consumer" phones. Nothing differentiates the BB10 phone from anything other phone other then the keyboard atm.
    Chen said he wants to be like Porshe/Lambo, it's about quality not quanity.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 04:13 PM
    Great points, domolsz. I've expressed similar thoughts in other related posts. Focusing on enterprises makes sense, but it's unclear how BlackBerry intends to do this from a device perspective. With BYOD, the consumer IS the enterprise, so if your device doesn't resonate with consumers, it won't have much penetration.

Of course, not all industries are doing BYOD, but as TGR1 mentioned, these likely are security-sensitive orgs where no-frill devices are issued. But I actually think this is an opportunity for BlackBerry. With BYOD, you get to use a device of your preference for both work and play. That's great, except that once you start accessing corporate resources, you're basically signing your device away: IT can lock it down, track it, wipe it, etc. If the org is really aggressive, they can prevent app installation, camera use, etc. That fun, full-featured smartphone can be dumbed-down real quick. What's in it for the user? I'd almost rather have a corporate-issued device so that what's mine stays mine. I think others would agree if they really knew what they were getting into when using their personal device for work, even if just for email access. Balance helps address this situation, but I think it's been a missed opportunity since BlackBerry doesn't talk about the user benefits and has limited it to BES vs. general ActiveSync.

I disagree, though, that there isn't much need for innovation when it comes to devices intended for enterprises or high-security orgs. It takes a kludge of products to secure the POTUS's phone; BlackBerry should design a device+service mobile security solution that's good enough for government leaders. And there are plenty of enterprise use cases that BlackBerry could focus on, such as integration with physical security access solutions, meeting/conference room management, etc.
    Thanks for your input. I agree Balance is yet another BlackBerry feature which has not been marketed properly, although I am not sure how much of a selling point it really is. When it comes to BYOD I wouldn't be surprised if employees/consumers actually prefer to carry two devices - one of their own choice and the other issued by their company. If that's the case, again, the corporate issued device does not need high specs.

I agree on your point of innovating to develop products/services for high-security environments, however this will not help to drive the volumes up to sustain platform development. Maybe I'm looking at this from an egocentric point of view, but I might not be alone here - I wish BlackBerry survives as a company but would also like them to transition to a business model which allows to continue the developement of Blackberry 10 OS and manufacturing of devices we can all use and enjoy for both work and pleasure.
    02-14-14 05:03 PM
    [QUOTE=khehl;10003622]I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the quantity race. Blackberry will never win over iPhone and Samsung. Some people buy a new iPhone every year.. Blackberry has no chance in hell to compete with that.

They aren't making a lot of money off handsets right now, actually they are losing a ton of money because of handsets.
    To reverse that he gets a company Foxconn do do the dirty work for cheap to make the Jakara 1 by 1 to minimize the write offs like last year.

But from what everyone is hearing about these rumoured specs of the new BB10 device coming out between Sept/Dec will be an android speced BB10 phone. The reason for that is that Blackberry get harped on because of its specs. Blackberry doesn't have the leeway like Apple does and can put out a device with low specs. (on paper the 5S is fast but I've seen real world examples and it's pretty horrifying)

Overall: the whole thing about being a Prosumer/Niche player is you have to have a high quality phone. My Q10 or the Z30 I would call it a consumer phone since it's below/on par with other "consumer" phones. Nothing differentiates the BB10 phone from anything other phone other then the keyboard atm.

Khehl, I agree they have no chance of catching up with the rest of the pack anytime soon, but every manufacturing business has a break-even volume which it needs to achieve in order to make profit. I am not sure what that number is in case of smartphones, but its most likely counted in tens of millions of units. My point is that with the strategy as presented by Chen they don't stand a chance to get to breakeven level in device business, unless they start selling their devices at crazy high prices (Porshe, Lamborghini), which I do not think many people here would welcome.
    02-14-14 05:13 PM
    [QUOTE=domolsz;10003842]
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the quantity race. Blackberry will never win over iPhone and Samsung. Some people buy a new iPhone every year.. Blackberry has no chance in hell to compete with that.

Khehl, I agree they have no chance of catching up with the rest of the pack anytime soon, but every manufacturing business has a break-even volume which it needs to achieve in order to make profit. I am not sure what that number is in case of smartphones, but its most likely counted in tens of millions of units. My point is that with the strategy as presented by Chen they don't stand a chance to get to breakeven level in device business, unless they start selling their devices at crazy high prices (Porshe, Lamborghini), which I do not think many people here would welcome.
    I'm a bit skeptical just like I was with heins. I'm not going to worry about anything yet though. It's still in insane transitions with new exec and leaving execs.

From what I've seen so far he's made some pretty good moves and that's all I can go on for now.

He sees a big market in Asia to sell a "quantity" of devices too with the help of Foxconn making and Advertising for Blackberry. Since we all know Blackberry is probably the worst company at advertising. So hopefully he sets a bar for how many units he wants to sell there and hopefully he exceeds there. Since the Blackberry name is completely damaged here in North America.

It's smart that he is selling somewhere else other then North America because no matter what Blackberry does right now here they are just going to get sh*t on.

From what I think it's smart that he is low key here and talks big in the interviews. We are seeing less BS on BGR and Engadget. They both are writing positive reviews on BBM believe it or not. Which is good, it's getting Blackberry's name out there.

I personally think what he is doing "right now" is a smart move on the companies part. S months ago the company almost got scrapped for parts and now people are starting to talk positive towards Blackberry.

Hopefully he keeps it up and no drop the ball like heins did.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 05:27 PM
    [QUOTE=khehl;10003891]

I'm a bit skeptical just like I was with heins. I'm not going to worry about anything yet though. It's still in insane transitions with new exec and leaving execs.

From what I've seen so far he's made some pretty good moves and that's all I can go on for now.

He sees a big market in Asia to sell a "quantity" of devices too with the help of Foxconn making and Advertising for Blackberry. Since we all know Blackberry is probably the worst company at advertising. So hopefully he sets a bar for how many units he wants to sell there and hopefully he exceeds there. Since the Blackberry name is completely damaged here in North America.

It's smart that he is selling somewhere else other then North America because no matter what Blackberry does right now here they are just going to get sh*t on.

From what I think it's smart that he is low key here and talks big in the interviews. We are seeing less BS on BGR and Engadget. They both are writing positive reviews on BBM believe it or not. Which is good, it's getting Blackberry's name out there.

I personally think what he is doing "right now" is a smart move on the companies part. S months ago the company almost got scrapped for parts and now people are starting to talk positive towards Blackberry.

Hopefully he keeps it up and no drop the ball like heins did.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, might be a smart move for them to lay low for a while in US. I actually have a lot of confidence in what this guy is doing, but I have a feeling he is not telling us everything yet. You're right - lets enjoy we are not being shred to pieces everyday anymore and wait for Chen's next move.
    02-14-14 05:52 PM

Any thoughts?
    The Mega powerful BlackBerry I can see as a possible desktop/laptop replacement with an appropriate dock peripheral in the regulated space to connect to Monitor Keyboard and mouse. Issue a single device that is secured 100% of the time. Lots of other things need to fall into place like the business app support, but if they do this they can provide significant value with a single device.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 08:11 AM
    [QUOTE=domolsz;10003842]

Govt / regulatory / big business is not interested in providing expensive phones for their employees. The big issues are security, reliability and costs. Selling unlocked phones directly to these entities makes a lot of sense. I can assure you that many employees would prefer their company providing a phone and paying for their data plan. In the UK in the finance industry the lowly Curve is common place.
    02-15-14 10:18 AM
    [QUOTE=Bbnivende;10006360]

Govt / regulatory / big business is not interested in providing expensive phones for their employees. The big issues are security, reliability and costs. Selling unlocked phones directly to these entities makes a lot of sense. I can assure you that many employees would prefer their company providing a phone and paying for their data plan. In the UK in the finance industry the lowly Curve is common place.
    Which is where the Jakara comes in
    It's rumoured to be all touch, which is not a business type phone.
    This is why they need to make a blackberry branded typo type keyboard!!
    Make it a emerging market/cheap enterprise phone and it'll sell by the masses
    02-15-14 10:44 AM
    I have a friend in a security-sensitive job who carries two phones. I explained BlackBerry Balance to him and he said he wasn't interested because he wouldn't trust it anyway. Cyber paranoia runs high these days.

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-15-14 10:58 AM
    I have a friend in a security-sensitive job who carries two phones. I explained BlackBerry Balance to him and he said he wasn't interested because he wouldn't trust it anyway. Cyber paranoia runs high these days.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Government won't embrace either. They are worried about any Government data stored on someone's personal device. They will still want to issue the devices and have then locked down.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 12:04 PM
    A typo keyboard on a Jakarta is no better than a substandard Q5. I read somewhere that BB was coming out with a cheaper Q5. Since Androids are selling well to businessmen and consumers in Indonesia I do not think that the lack of a physical keyboard is the problem.

Do business / govt users prefer physical keyboards? I think they do more so than consumers but still they will be in the minority. BlackBerry needs a a bigger screen physical keyboard phone not to gain ground but merely to create a niche and not to disappear altogether.

I do not think that the classic BlackBerry form can make a comeback , the standard all touch format is too well entrenched. I think that business consumers are looking for a phone very much like a Nexus 5 but with a better battery and a screen that works well in all lighting conditions. They are looking for Nexus 5 prices too. The factor that tips the scales towards BlackBerry is if they can provide better security should a phone be lost or stolen or hacked .

Edit : If BlackBerry made a phone that could withstand drops, cold weather and all around the rough treatment that a business phones get would they have an advantage ?
    02-15-14 12:05 PM
    I think the ultra high spec phone is for the mobile computing concept - blackberry probably want to be the first phone to truly replace your laptop/desktop.

Imagine going to work, plug in hdmi cable and bingo big monitor, keyboard and mouse and carry on working.

Need a super powered phone and I think that's where blackberry can recapture the market.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 12:35 PM
    I think the ultra high spec phone is for the mobile computing concept - blackberry probably want to be the first phone to truly replace your laptop/desktop.

Imagine going to work, plug in hdmi cable and bingo big monitor, keyboard and mouse and carry on working.

Need a super powered phone and I think that's where blackberry can recapture the market.

This is the almost 2-year-old Galaxy Note 2. The Note 3 is much better still, and the Note 4 is hardly going to be worse.

The truth is that few people are likely to USE this feature, even though it's very possible already, and has been available for some time. The average person just doesn't have a huge desire to do this. They'd prefer an integrated cloud ecosystem instead, so they can access the same apps and services on whatever device they choose. The lack of such an ecosystem is the biggest single reason BB is struggling.
    Drew808 likes this.
    02-17-14 12:54 PM
    http://berryflow.com/2014/02/blackbe...lend-software/

Maybe this plays into the strategy you are discussing?

CB10'n it via da Z
    02-17-14 01:06 PM
26 12