Until BlackBerry can get Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, Netflix and a few other mainstream applications on BlackBerry 10 (Not Android versions), BlackBerry will never become relevant again.

3rd party apps or sideloading don't cut it. The average user doesn't understand sideloading or 3rd party apps, they want to see native applications available in BlackBerry World and on their phone. They want to hear from their friends that BlackBerry has these applications and they want to hear from BlackBerry that BlackBerry has these applications.

John Chen needs to be developers on board.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    11-11-14 12:30 PM
    That would mean paying them, depends if he would take the risk of paying those companies, and if those Apps would help return the money
    11-11-14 12:34 PM
    It's already been tried (and failed). They need money.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1016
    11-11-14 12:34 PM
    That would mean paying them, depends if he would take the risk of paying those companies, and if those Apps would help return the money
    Depending on how much these companies want or if they want BlackBerry to make the BB10 version in-house, it's worth it in the long run for the platform to stay relevant. The applications can be ported over fairly easy even if it's not Cascades like Facebook.
    11-11-14 12:36 PM
    Until BlackBerry can get Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, Netflix and a few other mainstream applications on BlackBerry 10 (Not Android versions), BlackBerry will never become relevant again..
    You forgot to add that BlackBerry might not be relevant for You again...

For me, it is the best solution for All my business needs, and personal device needs. I don't use Instagram, Snapchat, Netflix or Facebook Messenger, although you can already find all these apps to run on a BB10 device if you really want to.

Native apps for Instagram and FB messenger exist, just not the official ones, but some with even more features.

The companies behind the apps you mention has already said many times that they at this point will Not make apps for BB platform. So if that's the apps you need, then you need to move to a different platform.

BB10.3 can run most normal Android apps directly, install APK's directly - no sideload needed. Even come with Amazon App Store pre-installed to make it easier to find apps.

Google Play Services you won't find on BB10!

There are so many different users, and you can't please them all on the same day.

We use a mix of devices at work, ranging from iOS and Android to misc BlackBerry devices, old and new. And those who are most happy, are those with a BB10 device. They are the most efficient users.

But if you are after a device that will Kill time, then a BlackBerry 10 device is most likely not for you
    If you want to Make time, then it is top of the line
    View Cam and Bluenoser63 like this.
    11-11-14 03:28 PM

For me, it is the best solution for All my business needs, and personal device needs. I don't use Instagram, Snapchat, Netflix or Facebook Messenger, although you can already find all these apps to run on a BB10 device if you really want to.

Native apps for Instagram and FB messenger exist, just not the official ones, but some with even more features.

The companies behind the apps you mention has already said many times that they at this point will Not make apps for BB platform. So if that's the apps you need, then you need to move to a different platform.

BB10.3 can run most normal Android apps directly, install APK's directly - no sideload needed. Even come with Amazon App Store pre-installed to make it easier to find apps.

There are so many different users, and you can't please them all on the same day.

We use a mix of devices at work, ranging from iOS and Android to misc BlackBerry devices, old and new. And those who are most happy, are those with a BB10 device. They are the most efficient users.

But if you are after a device that will Kill time, then a BlackBerry 10 device is most likely not for you
    And if everyone who is perfectly happy stays on BlackBerry and no one else comes in, how will they grow? You can't grow if only the current users remain. Growth means adding users and avoiding losing users. If I'd had native apps, I would have stayed. Instead, I went elsewhere. Like me, there are millions. BlackBerry needs people like me back in order to grow.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    11-11-14 03:35 PM
    And if everyone who is perfectly happy stays on BlackBerry and no one else comes in, how will they grow? You can't grow if only the current users remain. Growth means adding users and avoiding losing users. If I'd had native apps, I would have stayed. Instead, I went elsewhere. Like me, there are millions. BlackBerry needs people like me back in order to grow.
    Until BBRY starts showing exactly this growth you mention, the big developers will continue to ignore BBs. They want eyeballs and longer term returns.
    11-11-14 03:50 PM
    Personally that is all i'm looking for are my Banking app's ,got my Facebook and Twitter app
    11-11-14 03:56 PM

Tools! Not toys!
    11-11-14 04:02 PM
    Come on guys.. we've talked about this literally thousands of times Lol

Developers want users. Users want apps.
    Android apps were the only solution and they're doing a pretty good job with it on 10.3.1.. the only android apps that won't work are the ones that change something in the android environment.. for example the truecaller call ID, or the Facebook messenger chat heads. Other than that any app or game I've tried seems to be working very very well. So the app gap thing isn't a valid reason anymore.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    11-11-14 04:13 PM
    What would be the cost of paying these companies for an app or the ability for BlackBerry to create an app for them in house. I would argue that it would definitely be worth it. This chicken and egg discussion of devs want users, users want apps so no devs, has to stop. Maybe paying for these key apps would help break that cycle. It will hopefully get some people to consider BlackBerry again, which might excite developers to start developing natively. Could be a long shot but it might help I'm more ways then just providing those apps.
    11-11-14 05:59 PM
    Tools! Not toys!
    As much as I hate the old expession! Correct! Their focus is not mainstream, they mean business now! If they happen to bring a few over from the dark side congrats! Chen's mission is to stabilize and grow their business clientel.

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    11-11-14 06:14 PM
    What would be the cost of paying these companies for an app
    BB offered cash as well as development assistance to a number of big apps (things like Netflix, Instagram, etc. - the major missing social media apps), and those companies simply weren't interested. Even though development and support costs are very real and are a part of the equation, the bottom line is that those companies refused to make a BB10 app because BB10 doesn't have (anywhere close to) a big enough userbase. When BB10 has 50M users, they might reconsider, but after nearly 2 years on the market, BB likely has an active BB10 userbase of 8-10M. Sales of BB10 is a bit over 10M by now, but not everyone who has bought a BB10 phone is still using it, and a lot of BB10 phones were bought as second (or third, or fourth) phones by existing BB10 users.

Most internet companies, especially social media companies, are heavily valued on their userbase, and BB10's userbase is miniscule, and a healthy percentage of that already small userbase is in developing countries like Indonesia where companies like Netflix don't have licenses to provide services. These companies have spoken loud and clear that the only thing that interests them is the size of the userbase.

or the ability for BlackBerry to create an app for them in house.
    While a few companies, like Facebook, have public APIs, allowing other companies to write clients or plug-ins for their service, most companies keep their APIs private, both to protect their product (which is in many cases the only thing the company does: their app), and to protect the reputation of their product.

BB wrote the Facebook app for BB10 because Facebook wasn't interested in doing so. But there are lots of complaints about the BB10 FB app, and BB lags far behind in updating things to the latest FB APIs, because, unlike FB, BB's first priority is not the BB10 FB app - in fact, it's a low priority. Other companies realize that if BB wrote a client for their service, that client would be an even lower priority for BB than the FB app is already, and that would mean customers who are unhappy with that client and blame the company (Instagram, for example) instead of BB. They would rather people say "Instagram isn't available for BB10" than hear "Instagram sucks."

And in the case of Netflix, it's likely that their license agreements with the content providers requires that they don't have third-party developers writing clients, due to the encryption involved in the app. Media companies are hyper-paranoid about pirating, and put very high requirements on content-providers.

The bottom line is that BB tried all of these methods in 2013, and they simply didn't work. They couldn't give devs the one thing that devs wanted, which was a large and fast-growing userbase. BB was forced to concede, and in 2014 worked to bring the Amazon Marketplace to BB10 as an official alternative App market because that was really the only alternative to the small selection in BB World. BB has officially stated that they are relying on Amazon for consumer apps, and are only pursuing enterprise-specific app development for BB World, though of course they won't turn away any developer who chooses to make native BB10 apps. They've given up on spending money to support or encourage consumer BB10 app development, though.

That's the reality, and as harsh as it may be, wishing and hoping isn't going to change it. You need to accept the reality, and decide if you can make do with a combination of existing BB10 apps and Android apps from various sources, or not, and if not, then perhaps you'd be better off with another platform.

BB doesn't have the money, resources, developers, or clout to change this reality anytime soon. They have become a niche player, and that niche is Enterprise users. Since most people here aren't Enterprise users, that mean that, yes, BB is NOT focusing on YOUR needs, and isn't planning to. They are focusing on the needs of governments and big businesses. If you can make use of an enterprise-focused phone for your own consumer use, BB is happy to have you, but if not, then they won't lose any sleep if you leave, because you aren't there focus. Chen has said this himself a number of times, but some people seem to be in denial.

Chen is doing what is best for BB, the company as a whole, and not what's best for selling the most BB10 phones, which is not his priority.
    11-11-14 08:27 PM
    Personally that is all i'm looking for are my Banking app's ,got my Facebook and Twitter app
    These will probably be last to come. Even Windows Phone can't get a full suite of banking apps or apps from top retailers. The set of very top tier apps are mostly complete; but, the mid tier apps show no interest.
    11-11-14 08:34 PM
    Actually before I got my Lumia I looked for my banking apps, Geico, My Fitness Pal, and Instagram. They were all there.
    I was very happily surprised.
    So I bought my Lumia 1520.
    Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    11-12-14 03:46 AM