It amazes me how he has set the foundation for the new BlackBerry. His instincts are spot on and what you don't know is his next move and how he will execute it.

Just like any good captain he runs a tight ship.

I give him 5 Stars
    rarsen likes this.
    05-21-14 09:43 AM
    Too soon to give a definitive grade but at this point in the "semester", he is holding at a solid "B".
    Mr4aces and Levi_Asaiah like this.
    05-21-14 10:44 AM
    Because of his verbal diarrhea I give him a "C".
    Doggerz and TGR1 like this.
    05-23-14 08:38 AM
    LOL you guys! At least none of you flunked him! I concur its a bit early but a B+ from me for his performance thus far.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-23-14 10:27 AM
    After reading the history of RIM. John Chen's hill was pretty steep.

All CBer should read this by Jesse Hicks

Research, no motion: How the BlackBerry CEOs lost an empire | The Verge
    r0k likes this.
    05-23-14 01:16 PM
    Thanks for the link!

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-23-14 03:26 PM
    I'm not sure of a grade, but one thing is for sure when it comes to Mr. Chen. He has not made any move that has sent up a red flag.

The most important thing is to keep investors happy and stop the company from free falling. From the first day he took over, he has done just that.

Many people would have passed on this position. It can't be easy and we don't even know 1/100th of what he had to do when stepping in?

So, I'm not sure of a grade, but so far so good. At this point, I can't think of anyone who could have smoothed things over and produced positive headlines better than Mr. Chen. That's an amazing achievement in its self.

BBM CHANNEL - "BB POWERED " C001C1D66
    Last edited by xBURK; 05-23-14 at 08:15 PM.
    Mr4aces and Levi_Asaiah like this.
    05-23-14 03:56 PM
    Because of his verbal diarrhea I give him a "C".
    I respect your view.
    I have to give him a D+

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    05-23-14 03:59 PM
    I'm not sure of a grade, but one thing is for sure when it comes to Mr. Chen. He has not made any moves that send up red flags.

The most important thing is to keep investors happy and stop the company from free falling. From the first day he took over, he has done just that.

Many people would have passed on this position. It can't be easy and we don't even know 1/100th of what he had to do when stepping in?

So, I'm not sure of a grade, but so far so good. At this point, I can't think of anyone who could have smoothed things over and produced positive headlines better than Mr. Chen. That's an amazing achievement in its self.

I agree he has to toe the line, not make drastic moves and answer to share holders. I believe he has the instincts and knowledge to bring BB back.

To bad the people that are the most critical have never been in an executive position to know how hard his job is.
    xBURK and Lstkryptonian like this.
    05-23-14 04:50 PM
    It's hard to judge. For example, I've heard it said that the whole Foxconn thing was Thors play, and yet Chen gets credit.

Posted via CB10
    claireberry likes this.
    05-23-14 05:01 PM
    It's hard to judge. For example, I've heard it said that the whole Foxconn thing was Thors play, and yet Chen gets credit.

Posted via CB10
    Think BB is pass the finger pointing. Good or Bad. The easy way would be to liquidate the company not to save it. JC would make the shareholder a little money from their original investment and not have his reputation tarnished by failing.

Someone not knowing anything about the industry is tough. Who do you take advise from within BB? What key executive positions to you replace? With who? Budget and cash flow projections? What projects are on the table? Keep or abandon? How to stop the bleeding and the forecast when funds are available for R&D? Policies? ..... The list goes on and on.

Keep in mind that the shareholders feel it is "their" best interest to save the company. Otherwise they would have hired a "liquiditor".

JC must feel he can do it otherwise there would not be the moves he is making.

I predict sometime in December BB will partner up with someone very big.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 07-24-14 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Change R&R to R&D
    95aero likes this.
    05-23-14 05:28 PM
    This is like grading a student mid-way through the first lecture. Chen didn't come here to cut costs and makes the losses smaller. He came to turn the company around and rebuild value for shareholders. He's got another two years to go, at least.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Mr4aces, JeepBB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    05-23-14 05:38 PM
    This is like grading a student mid-way through the first lecture. Chen didn't come here to cut costs and makes the losses smaller. He came to turn the company around and rebuild value for shareholders. He's got another two years to go, at least.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Yes at least. But by December the Mobil Community will know what gear and direction he is headed.
    05-23-14 05:44 PM
    Facebook works for a lot of people with BB. Maybe if you were to detail your problem, the experts on here could help you. I don't use facebook so I don't know what to say. All my apps that I do use, however, work great.

Now back to the subject of this thread. I think John Chen's compensation is too high ( like most CEO's), but I like his no nonsense style, especially his direct comments.... Grade......A. Would be A+, but I don't like the 'Classic' name for the upcoming Q20. Other than that...Go Chen Go.....
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-23-14 09:26 PM
    Wow! That is some article's:

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-23-14 09:31 PM
    ..............Would be A+, but I don't like the 'Classic' name for the upcoming Q20. Other than that...Go Chen Go.....
    I agree the name does not fit the Q20 because of BB10 OS
    05-24-14 02:51 AM
    Wow! That is some article's:

Posted via CB10
    Glad you took the time to read the article.

Helps to understand how the bricks came falling down. Without reading the article you can not know what John Chen is up against. RIM lost all their key executives 3 years ago. I would "guess" that they bailed out when their stock peeked. No wonder the stock drop below the asset value. Must have been a mini stock crash. Did Martha Stewart go to jail?

I wonder if any BB projects ended up at Samsung?

I knew JC job was enormous, but after reading Jesse Hicks article it takes one hell of a man to take on this bull.

But you know what no matter how much information there is, there is always going to be that Monday morning quarterback that has no clue what a CEO does.

It maybe only 4-5 months, but how can you deny him 5 stars.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-24-14 at 04:47 AM.
    05-24-14 02:54 AM
    .........RIM lost all their key executives 3 years ago. I would "guess" that they bailed out when their stock peeked. No wonder the stock drop below the asset value. Must have been a mini stock crash. Did Martha Stewart go to jail? ............
    [This of course is pure spectulation on my part. I have no information about any stock transactions nor do I care, because it's history and this thread is about John Chen.]

But, I wish I was a mouse when the CFO laid everything out in that executive meeting.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-24-14 at 04:48 AM.
    05-24-14 03:35 AM
    It maybe only 4-5 months, but how can you deny him 5 stars.
    Because he's just following through on what Thor started. His grade should go up once they're in the black.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-24-14 07:43 AM
    I'm going to wait on scoring.

I want to see a few things

1. Is he able to turn the company to break even, then profitable, as predicted

2. Is he able to turn around the handset business so that shipments start to rise, instead of falling

3. Is he able to grow the BlackBerry 10 userbase beyond 10 million by making the Z3 and Classic more successful than the Q5 and Q10 devices that were supposed to appeal to legacy users and users in emerging markets

4. Is he able to chip away and some of the outstanding big title apps missing in the library

5. Is he able to launch a differentiated BlackBerry 11 experience. Remember .... BlackBerry 10 is not his creation, nor Thorsten's. It's Mike L's.
    howarmat and JeepBB like this.
    05-24-14 08:41 AM
    I think that CEO Chen it doing as good a job as he can, given the state Blackberry was in when he took the job 6 months ago. It will probably be the end of this year before we can fairly judge his impact on the company's bottom line.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Q10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-24-14 03:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Mr. Chen openly said this was in the works before he took the job. It was Mr. Chen that pushed it through faster though.

Mr4aces likes this.
    05-25-14 01:21 AM
    Mr. Chen openly said this was in the works before he took the job. It was Mr. Chen that pushed it through faster though.

Here's a great article on Chen's view of the world (including Foxconn) from late last year, for those who missed it.

Exclusive: John Chen’s simple plan to save BlackBerry - The Globe and Mail
    Mr4aces and r0k like this.
    05-25-14 04:11 AM
    Here's a great article on Chen's view of the world (including Foxconn) from late last year, for those who missed it.

Exclusive: John Chen’s simple plan to save BlackBerry - The Globe and Mail
    A thousand thanks. I'm just a late SpongeHead who was looking at a thumbnail and just clicked on full view.

Again to bad the critics keep, "Open mouth, insert ****"
    05-25-14 08:08 AM
    So far so good. I won't score him yet until he finishes 1yr on the job.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 05:00 PM
147 123 ...