3 more months have past by. The launching of PassPort and the coming of the Classic/Q20 report card is not out yet. It is impossible for an outsider to know the ins and outs of what BlackBerry is going through, but I still think this was one up hill climb and very few people would have been able to keep BlackBerry afloat this long without sell off all the assets or dumping the company.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    09-29-14 01:27 PM
    Think BB is pass the finger pointing. Good or Bad. The easy way would be to liquidate the company not to save it. JC would make the shareholder a little money from their original investment and not have his reputation tarnished by failing.

Someone not knowing anything about the industry is tough. Who do you take advise from within BB? What key executive positions to you replace? With who? Budget and cash flow projections? What projects are on the table? Keep or abandon? How to stop the bleeding and the forecast when funds are available for R&D? Policies? ..... The list goes on and on.

Keep in mind that the shareholders feel it is "their" best interest to save the company. Otherwise they would have hired a "liquiditor".

JC must feel he can do it otherwise there would not be the moves he is making.

I predict sometime in December BB will partner up with someone very big.
    Chen was part of the whole Prem takeover bid it was for all intents a coup to flush out all the old guard that ruined BlackBerry and tied Heins' hands from implementing the drastic measures that Chen has done. 10.2.1 and direct download of apks, the Foxconn deal, amazon's deal and the Passport were all under Thorston's watch. I give Chen credit for being honest and admitting to this in public rather than take all the credit. He stated that one of his greatest accomplishments was not killing the Passport so he gets props from me. Lol

Z30 and loving it on 10.3.0.1418!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-28-14 12:51 PM
    The trick us now to force iOS and Android to compete with BlackBerry in the enterprise market.

Posted via CB10
    Android and iOS have won that battle already for a looooong time by now.
    Both outsell BlackBerry in huge numbers in the enterprise sector, with iOS being the n1 OS there.

I thought about what score to give Chen, and I tend to give him a 5 or 6 out of 10 (at least in terms of handsets).

The business sector has evolved massively, and especially away from keyboard phones.
    Without the incredible downsizing T.Heins already started, BlackBerry wouldn't even be near break even nowadays.
    So all the "good" things on the balance sheet, are solely due to this massive downsizing.

Being a phone manufacturer only for the business sector, is already a very risky strategy, as Apple and Google will catch up. It's not even a question of "if", just "when".
    Now, being a manufacturer for the keyboard niche, within the enterprise niche, just screams suicide.

If Chen can't make BlackBerry a relevant consumer brand anymore, I doubt that BlackBerry will have a lot of time as a smartphone manufacturer, before they leave that sector.
    Both the consumer and the enterprise user vastly prefer touchscreen phones nowadays and this is also where BlackBerry has to focus their ressources (just to be clear, I am not for abandoning keyboards. It's just that the current focus seems very unhealthy).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-29-14 at 12:59 AM.
    10-29-14 12:20 AM
    Well after 1 year under John Chen's leadership how do you score him now.

For all the naysayers there are not to many people that could do what he has done.

Yes, there were many started projects when he took over and we could go on and on about this or that, but still takes a leader to sort through all this.

It took him a while to get the correct people to join him, but I would bet the house is clean now.

I give him an A+
    11-13-14 11:37 PM
    Well after 1 year under John Chen's leadership how do you score him now.

For all the naysayers there are not to many people that could do what he has done.

Yes, there were many started projects when he took over and we could go on and on about this or that, but still takes a leader to sort through all this.

It took him a while to get the correct people to join him, but I would bet the house is clean now.

I give him an A+
    Partial agreement. Some areas he's been stellar, and in others not so good.

Killing the Ontario / full touch line . F (Short sighted)
    Killing video / music purchases in BBW. F (Major loss)
    Killing score loop. D (Hardly necessary)

Refocusing on enterprise. B+ (Pendulum swinging too far?)
    Amazon Deal C (Cost of this may turn to be too great on native)

Refocus to keyboard - (too soon to tell)
    Sticking up for brand / calling out errors A+
    Grabbing media attention B+

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 11:01 PM
    From where Blackberry has emerged since the introduction of Chen to the company to today i give Chen a big ol 10. with what i see emerging from blackberry as a result of chen he deserves a lot of credit, they will once again become a superpower.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-22-14 11:08 PM
    Partial agreement. Some areas he's been stellar, and in others not so good.

Killing the Ontario / full touch line . F (Short sighted)
    Killing video / music purchases in BBW. F (Major loss)
    Killing score loop. D (Hardly necessary)

Refocusing on enterprise. B+ (Pendulum swinging too far?)
    Amazon Deal C (Cost of this may turn to be too great on native)

Refocus to keyboard - (too soon to tell)
    Sticking up for brand / calling out errors A+
    Grabbing media attention B+

Posted via CB10
    Your disappointment with the loss of things on the consumer side shows through. :-)

Sure, I would have preferred to keep those things (video, music, Scoreloop), just so it's more of an ecosystem and so the phone's a "good sell" to friends and those who ask.

But if that's what Chen reckons (whether that's really the case or not, haha) he needs to do, I'll accept that as a "sacrifice" for the survival of BlackBerry as a company and device manufacturer.

I'm sure we'll get another slab.

:-D

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 11-23-14 at 06:26 PM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-23-14 06:13 PM
    Your disappointment with the loss of things on the consumer side shows through. :-)

Sure, I would have preferred to keep those things (video, music, Scoreloop), just so it's more of an ecosystem and so the phone's a "good sell" to friends and those who ask.

But if that's what Chen reckons (whether that's really the case or not, haha) he needs to do, I'll accept that as a "sacrifice" for the survival of BlackBerry as a company and device manufacturer.

I'm sure we'll get another slab.

:-D

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    Well, even at the absolute pinnacle of success for BlackBerry, BIS revenue made up around 90% of total SAF revenue. BIS fees were lower then BES fees. That means that for every 10 BlackBerry customers less then 1 was a corporate customer. BlackBerry's phone business has ALWAYS been very heavily reliant on consumers even in the days when BlackBerry was known as THE business phone.

So, knowing that, would you still consider the decision to kill off all consumer services a necessary sacrifice for the survival of the handset business if the decision to kill consumer services means BlackBerry isn't able to sell enough phones to make the handset business profitable? Sure 10 million units per year seems like a pretty achievable goal, but even that number relies on consumers buying BlackBerrys
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-23-14 11:55 PM
    Five of Five stars.

I was disappointed when BlackBerry tried to veer into the iPhone / Samsung side of things. My BlackBerry phone (6210 - 2005, 7100t - 2006, 8100 Pearl - 2007, 9000 Bold-2008
    Q10 - 2013 to present and Passport on Dec. 9th) were always about function and form that meant effective, reliable communication to get the job done via text and email. Games, videos, etc were window dressing to the real strength of BlackBerry.

A jack of all trades is a master of none.

I fell for the iPhone but regretted it in the end. I could text and email but the keyboard always seemed to be lacking. So I got the Q10 and will go back to it if the Passport doesn't work out for me (something I sincerely doubt), no regrets.

I know some folks like the entertainment side of Android and Apple but I like this refocus on producing a tool focused on getting things done. It was a tool for productivity to start with and should be just that.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 06:36 PM
    In case you have not yet read . . .

http://crackberry.com/john-chen-focus-enterprise

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...lieve-the-hype

John Chen

Executive Chairman and CEO at BlackBerry

Don't Believe The Hype

December 08, 2014

One of the lessons that I have learned over the years is the importance of being straightforward. It’s been especially true for me being the CEO of an iconic and global brand such as BlackBerry.

There is always the temptation to make statements that feed sensationalism, or make executive decisions that chase hype and trends. I have found telling it like it is the best thing to do, even if it hurts in the short-run, because it builds a foundation of trust over the long-term. And that is the time frame I operate in.

For example, recently I’ve been advised to capitalize on Kim Kardashian’s pronouncements that BlackBerry phones are her “heart and soul,” or talk up plans to enter the China market, however preliminary they are today. I am grateful for Kim’s loyalty and respect her passion for BlackBerry, but it is not the right time for us to focus on the consumer market. Our focus right now is on extending our legendary security foundation with new solutions for the enterprise. Nothing is making us waver from that strategy.

That doesn't mean that we are giving up on our many phone fans, as you can tell from the recently-released BlackBerry Passport and the soon-to-be-released BlackBerry Classic. But we cannot and will not chase sensationalism. As for China, rest assured that we are developing a well-thought out plan that will take into account many factors, including timing and our long-term strategy. It won’t be rushed because it’s exciting or turned away from because of security concerns. And it won’t include a takeover.

I will always take a rational approach and long-term view. As thrilling as riding the hype or letting the crowd dictate my tactics may feel in the short run, it will hurt in the long run. Build trust and be clear on your priorities and know that the right decision at the wrong time is still the wrong decision. That philosophy should serve you and your organization well, whatever situation you are in.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-09-14 03:04 AM
    4th quarter report just came out.

For all the RIM/ML's naysayers JC said 2 years. Looks like great strides have been made in little over a year.

What has impressed me is the key people he has hired. Like a good leader he reviewed and watched before replacing. I wish I could have been a mouse in the meetings the first 3 months.

His juggling act is focused.

Nice job John Chen.

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 likes this.
    03-27-15 08:36 AM
    Nice job John Chen.
    Regarding BB smartphones: Not really....
    BB_Junky and Batibreaker like this.
    03-27-15 08:39 AM
    Regarding BB smartphones: Not really....
    I'm getting a bit tired of the fans who expect a CEO to be able to "sell" the public on devices they don't want. He wanted to make a BlackBerry for BlackBerry fans and 90% of BlackBerry shipments were to bb10. So he succeeded there.

Only way a ceo can sell big numbers to android fans is by releasing an android BlackBerry. It's not JCS fault the public perception of BlackBerry is so poor. You can blame that on 2 ceos ago. At least JC is making BlackBerry money again.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 08:57 AM
    I'm getting a bit tired of the fans who expect a CEO to be able to "sell" the public on devices they don't want.
    It is his job as CEO to produce the devices costumers would buy so that he reaches his goal of 10 mio devices.

He wanted to make a BlackBerry for BlackBerry fans and 90% of BlackBerry shipments were to bb10. So he succeeded there.
    Wow. More than 2 years after launch. What a success

Only way a ceo can sell big numbers to android fans is by releasing an android BlackBerry. It's not JCS fault the public perception of BlackBerry is so poor. You can blame that on 2 ceos ago. At least JC is making BlackBerry money again.
    If that'd be true he'd better release one. I don't care about BB as a company making money and leaving handset business, just as 95% of Crackberry users.
    smoothgeek and BB_Junky like this.
    03-27-15 09:08 AM
    I'm getting a bit tired of the fans who expect a CEO to be able to "sell" the public on devices they don't want. He wanted to make a BlackBerry for BlackBerry fans and 90% of BlackBerry shipments were to bb10. So he succeeded there.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, 90% of devices sold were BB10, but the numbers are very low. It's not that the 90% was achieved by increasing bb10 numbers, but by not manufacturing BBOS devices.
    Maxxxpower and JeepBB like this.
    03-27-15 10:18 AM
    His job was to turn the company around by stopping the bleeding. You can't stop the bleeding and spend money on R & D for cell phones to please "everybody"

I would "guess" that the people wanting immediate cell phone dominance in the mobil make have never been in upper management.

Get real this is a company that was losing billions.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 11:22 AM
    His job was to turn the company around by stopping the bleeding. You can't stop the bleeding and spend money on R & D for cell phones to please "everybody"

I would "guess" that the people wanting immediate cell phone dominance in the mobil make have never been in upper management.

Get real this is a company that was losing billions.

Posted via CB10
    Yes totally agreed. His job is to make money and fulfill stakeholder needs. He has openly said they he is transforming blackberry into a software company and it that he is succeeding. He is making lemonade from lemons. I'm sorry his goals don't align with our hardware dreams, but he's a ceo not a magician. Someone who can recognize strengths, leverage them, and succeed in growth is a good ceo.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    03-27-15 12:18 PM
    Yes totally agreed. His job is to make money and fulfill stakeholder needs. He has openly said they he is transforming blackberry into a software company and it that he is succeeding. He is making lemonade from lemons. I'm sorry his goals don't align with our hardware dreams, but he's a ceo not a magician. Someone who can recognize strengths, leverage them, and succeed in growth is a good ceo.

Posted via CB10
    Are you agreeing with me? Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 06:02 PM
    Are you agreeing with me? Lol

Posted via CB10
    Yes I am. This has happened before. Maybe once

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    03-27-15 08:09 PM
    Yes, 90% of devices sold were BB10, but the numbers are very low. It's not that the 90% was achieved by increasing bb10 numbers, but by not manufacturing BBOS devices.
    Perception is king. BlackBerry's image has been tarnished by BBOS. And now the majority of people think of BlackBerry as BBOS and not as BB10. The previous management messed up the BB10 launch and messed up the marketing of it. Only the tech savvy people and those that they tell buy BB10 smart phones. BB10 is the best mobile OS out to date. Absolutely no denying this simple fact. The question is will BlackBerry's hardware division grow? Absolutely. And John Chen has all of 2015 to grow it. Greatly increased distribution channels, carrier support and so on, all in 2015. Nothing beats a BB10 smart phone in hardware and software quality and performance.

My Starbucks Story from the other day: Case in Point.
    Some guy at a Starbucks eye balls came out of his head when he seen my Z30 full touch, as I swiped the Starbucks app to get the barcode so I can pay. Is that a Samsung he asked? I never seen a Samsung like that before? I said No. It's a Full Touch BlackBerry device. How is that possible he said? They have those little old phones with QWERTY keys. I said is the New BB10 OS built from the ground up. As I was waiting for my latte I showed him some gestures. He was quite impressed, but somewhat Skeptical due to the quarterly news he keeps hearing about BlackBerry as of late. Anyhow he will inquirer about a full touch BB10 at a Bell store. Though I told him he can buy off CrackBerry for $250 and/or off Amazon, e-Bay and ShopBlackBerry.

This is the importance of BlackBerry continuing with at least 2 Full Touch Phones per year. With the proper marketing, they can profit on them. Inventory is no longer an issue. There is am massive full touch market (99% of the world) that want Full Touch. Just have one or two available to the public and educate them.

After talking to a total stranger, he's not so happy with his buggy Android device. His words. Not mine.
    nt300 likes this.
    03-29-15 10:02 PM
    Perception is king. BlackBerry's image has been tarnished by BBOS. And now the majority of people think of BlackBerry as BBOS and not as BB10. The previous management messed up the BB10 launch and messed up the marketing of it. Only the tech savvy people and those that they tell buy BB10 smart phones. BB10 is the best mobile OS out to date. Absolutely no denying this simple fact. The question is will BlackBerry's hardware division grow? Absolutely. And John Chen has all of 2015 to grow it. Greatly increased distribution channels, carrier support and so on, all in 2015. Nothing beats a BB10 smart phone in hardware and software quality and performance.

My Starbucks Story from the other day: Case in Point.
    Some guy at a Starbucks eye balls came out of his head when he seen my Z30 full touch, as I swiped the Starbucks app to get the barcode so I can pay. Is that a Samsung he asked? I never seen a Samsung like that before? I said No. It's a Full Touch BlackBerry device. How is that possible he said? They have those little old phones with QWERTY keys. I said is the New BB10 OS built from the ground up. As I was waiting for my latte I showed him some gestures. He was quite impressed, but somewhat Skeptical due to the quarterly news he keeps hearing about BlackBerry as of late. Anyhow he will inquirer about a full touch BB10 at a Bell store. Though I told him he can buy off CrackBerry for $250 and/or off Amazon, e-Bay and ShopBlackBerry.

This is the importance of BlackBerry continuing with at least 2 Full Touch Phones per year. With the proper marketing, they can profit on them. Inventory is no longer an issue. There is am massive full touch market (99% of the world) that want Full Touch. Just have one or two available to the public and educate them.

After talking to a total stranger, he's not so happy with his buggy Android device. His words. Not mine.
    BlackBerry will steal defeat from the jaws of victory before Chen will admit being wrong about the possibility of money to be made in the consumer hardware market.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 10:14 PM
    I agree with BB10 being the best standalone OS. Unfortunately, the battle hasn't been OS vs OS for 3 years now; it's ecosystem vs ecosystem, where BB10 suffers a lot.

Also, 2014 was supposed to be the growth year of BB10 (according to a lot of people here). 10.2.1 was supposed to be the savior that would bring in the masses. Then 10.3

And while BB as a company manages to do well, the hardware part (which is the main interest of Crackberry), is doing worse.
    03-30-15 02:25 AM
    Chen was part of the whole Prem takeover bid it was for all intents a coup to flush out all the old guard that ruined BlackBerry and tied Heins' hands from implementing the drastic measures that Chen has done. 10.2.1 and direct download of apks, the Foxconn deal, amazon's deal and the Passport were all under Thorston's watch. I give Chen credit for being honest and admitting to this in public rather than take all the credit. He stated that one of his greatest accomplishments was not killing the Passport so he gets props from me. Lol

Z30 and loving it on 10.3.0.1418!
    Will have to agree. Despite THOR getting quite a bad rap and a terrible BB10 execution, doing further research directs me to believe his hands were tied down and could not revive the company in a proper manner without being mangled by the boys in charge. John Chen is all about Honesty and Integrity. Thor had a unique vision, but could not execute that vision due to the situation mentioned above. John is a good sport and places credit where credit is due.

I agree with BB10 being the best standalone OS. Unfortunately, the battle hasn't been OS vs OS for 3 years now; it's ecosystem vs ecosystem, where BB10 suffers a lot.

Also, 2014 was supposed to be the growth year of BB10 (according to a lot of people here). 10.2.1 was supposed to be the savior that would bring in the masses. Then 10.3

And while BB as a company manages to do well, the hardware part (which is the main interest of Crackberry), is doing worse.
    I wish that was so, but unfortunately BlackBerry has been greatly lacking in BB10 consumer awareness and marketing. If people don't know BB10 exists its going to take longer to see positive sales numbers. And lacking carrier support was a major factor. And you have Verizon and Sprint that were locked into Apple RipOff contracts where they were somewhat forced or obligated to push iPhones onto people versus anything else. These Anti Consumer behaviors by carriers and the lack of marketing and BB10 awareness completely messed up BB10's true potential. Not excluding BlackBerry's other ridiculous missteps by all means.

2015 is the new Growth Year for both Hardware & Software.
    Last edited by ATI nsider; 03-30-15 at 05:36 AM.
    03-30-15 05:25 AM
    2015 is the new Growth Year for both Hardware & Software.
    And it will be moved to by many here 2016 when 2015 doesn't pan out. They really don't have any growth devices out. Nothing to keep a large portion of your launch customers on boarded to BB10 around. Unless they get a lot of new customers, which isn't very likely, I expect the current base to shrink or stay flat.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 09:16 AM
    Help me with this, but wasn't Thor Hein brought in to stabilize the company for the sale of RIM?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 10:41 AM
147 ... 23456