Now that Amazon has partnered with Blackberry I believe the next logical step is to get Samsung on board. Consumers are sick and tired of the monopoly Google has over the Android OS (Google play services) and want a viable alternative, and I believe that alternative could very well be Amazon's forked version of Android. With the market share Samsung has in the android device market if it were to dump the google play store for the Amazon app store I believe the major app devs would follow. Samsung is chaffing at the demands Google places on all the manufacturers that run google play services and is developing Tizen as a response to this not to mention there is the class action lawsuit that Google is facing from consumers.

This is how I envision the partnership would work between all three players. Samsung dumps google play services and the google play store to use Amazon's app store, as well as release native BB10 editions of their phones and tablets, lastly combine that with the Amazon store to sell directly to consumers and you have a good recipe for success.

Google reportedly confronted Samsung over its approach to smartwatches
    US lawsuit against Google could aid rivals in EU anti-trust case
    07-20-14 04:24 PM
    Consumers are sick and tired of the monopoly Google has over the Android OS (Google play services) and want a viable alternative, and I believe that alternative could very well be Amazon's forked version of Android.
    sorry i dont buy any of this. 80% of the people that have an android device probably dont know nor care about googles involvement in it.

Samsung is chaffing at the demands Google places on all the manufacturers that run google play services and is developing Tizen as a response to this not to mention there is the class action lawsuit that Google is facing from consumers.
    Tizen isnt meant to go up against android. Its just another Samsung venture similar to that of Bada. Samsung also made phones for Windows OS.

As for google play store vs amazon store. You will find it missing some key apps and there is no way Samsung will ditch the play store.
    07-20-14 04:32 PM
    I made the assumption that the huge increase in the Amazon user base would entice the top app devs to release Amazon apps
    07-20-14 04:54 PM
    There is a huge amazon user influx since the release of their phone? Its doubtful that the amazon userbase will really grow that much. Especially once you eliminate the overlap of android users that already have a certified android device with google play who also use the amazon store.
    07-20-14 04:57 PM
    There is a huge amazon user influx since the release of their phone? Its doubtful that the amazon userbase will really grow that much. Especially once you eliminate the overlap of android users that already have a certified android device with google play who also use the amazon store.
    True, question I have always wondered though is why does the Amazon app store have a shortage of top tier apps in its lineup? It has Candy Crush but not Farm Heros lol why is that?
    07-20-14 05:14 PM
    True, question I have always wondered though is why does the Amazon app store have a shortage of top tier apps in its lineup? It has Candy Crush but not Farm Heros lol why is that?
    Simple: most apps in Google Play use some level of Google's services, whether they are using the actual Google Service Framework in their app, or using Google's advertising or pay infrastructure.

In order to put your app in the Amazon market, you have to re-write your app to remove these dependencies and replace them with Amazon's services, if those services exist, and if not, find or build your own. Doing that one time isn't a huge issue, but since most apps are updated regularly, it means that you now have to develop, debug, and test two separate versions of your app, which will take a LOT more of a developer's time. And since that developer can reach an overwhelming majority of Android users by simply putting that app in the Play Store, most devs don't bother with alternative stores that eat up many hours of development work for relatively little marketshare.

This is the same reason these same Android devs didn't put their apps in BB World, BTW.
    07-21-14 08:45 AM
    Simple: most apps in Google Play use some level of Google's services, whether they are using the actual Google Service Framework in their app, or using Google's advertising or pay infrastructure.

In order to put your app in the Amazon market, you have to re-write your app to remove these dependencies and replace them with Amazon's services, if those services exist, and if not, find or build your own. Doing that one time isn't a huge issue, but since most apps are updated regularly, it means that you now have to develop, debug, and test two separate versions of your app, which will take a LOT more of a developer's time. And since that developer can reach an overwhelming majority of Android users by simply putting that app in the Play Store, most devs don't bother with alternative stores that eat up many hours of development work for relatively little marketshare.

This is the same reason these same Android devs didn't put their apps in BB World, BTW.
    Which makes Amazon's new phone so very important. They need to drive significant sales and gain meaningful market share.
    07-21-14 08:56 AM
    And I don't think that is going to happen with the phone they released. 3D control is a gimmick that most people don't want and certainly doesn't make up for the loss of Google Play, especially when Amazon Prime Video is finally being released for Android.

Amazon might have been able to gain adoption by competing on price, but they won't by competing with gimmicks.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-23-14 06:58 PM
    IMHO, yes. Updates tend to be late too IME.

Not all developers feel like dealing with multiple app stores, add BBRY found out.
    07-23-14 08:10 PM
    And I don't think that is going to happen with the phone they released. 3D control is a gimmick that most people don't want and certainly doesn't make up for the loss of Google Play, especially when Amazon Prime Video is finally being released for Android.

Amazon might have been able to gain adoption by competing on price, but they won't by competing with gimmicks.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Don't disagree. I think they will see the error in their ways very quickly and will go back to their tried and true formula of selling HW at a discount. If they do this it could have a positive result. The phone itself is not that bad.
    07-24-14 07:22 PM
    Not all developers feel like dealing with multiple app stores, add BBRY found out.
    So true. And this is where Amazon and BBRY need to put their engineering hats on and figure out how to make it completely seamless for devs to port Android apps to their store(s). They need to find an easy way for devs to sub any Google dependency for their own. I know I make it sound easier than it is, but that is really the only hope they have outside of amassing significant enough market share to willingly entice devs.
    07-24-14 07:26 PM
    Well.. it happened

Check Out TechCraze
    pomidor likes this.
    03-16-15 07:57 AM
    Well.. it happened

Check Out TechCraze
    Thread resurrection, haha ...

Good find... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-17-15 05:00 AM
    I am looking forward to BlackBerry's Forth Quarter 2016 where both Samsung and BlackBerry announce the Licensing out of BB10 to a new line of Samsung BB10 smart phones.
    Hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag too soon. Let's call it Speculation for argument sake
    03-18-15 08:10 PM
    I am looking forward to BlackBerry's Forth Quarter 2016 where both Samsung and BlackBerry announce the Licensing out of BB10 to a new line of Samsung BB10 smart phones.
    Hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag too soon. Let's call it Speculation for argument sake
    Actually there's a better word for that: fantasy.
    03-18-15 08:53 PM
    Actually there's a better word for that: fantasy.
    So how then did BlackBerry get access to Samsung's latest hardware for its slider. Change is coming, we just don't see all the pieces yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:51 PM
    With the upcoming release of the productivity suites I can see Samsung releasing a BB10 skinned version of a S5 or perhaps a S6?

Loving my Passport!
    03-18-15 11:14 PM
    So how then did BlackBerry get access to Samsung's latest hardware for its slider?
    It hasn't been stated anywhere with absolute certainty that they have. They just held up a prototype for a minute that looks like it might contain Samsung hardware.
    03-18-15 11:20 PM
    So how then did BlackBerry get access to Samsung's latest hardware for its slider. Change is coming, we just don't see all the pieces yet.

Posted via CB10
    And it's also not that big of a deal even if they did. Samsung has always made screens for other companies, including Apple. You could argue that the 'Edge' screen is more of a patented deal that Samsung would want for themselves. Maybe it is part of a deal, perhaps BlackBerry just bought the screens like they would any other type.
    Either way, I doubt that we will see much more overlap between the two companies than what we've seen already. At least in the very near future.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-18-15 11:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    It could also be a precursor for Samsung to buy out BBRY hardware division and John Chen go full force on the EMM enterprise vision.
    03-19-15 02:34 PM
    Very surprised Microsoft hasn't made a play for BlackBerry. They would benefit more from their handsets and BBM.
    03-21-15 08:43 AM
    Blackberry's next strategic partnership should be Samsung-mockit_21032015145937.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 08:59 AM
    Very surprised Microsoft hasn't made a play for BlackBerry. They would benefit more from their handsets and BBM.
    Looks like North American based big shots doesn't want to play ball with the Canadian BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 09:01 AM
    Looks like North American based big shots doesn't want to play ball with the Canadian BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Samsung is North American? Who knew. The more likely reason is that BB Is hovering at about 0.5% market share from what I can see. How does buying them help?
    03-21-15 12:36 PM
    The more likely reason is that BB Is hovering at about 0.5% market share from what I can see. How does buying them help?
    They still have carrier agreements around the globe.
    03-21-15 01:43 PM
33 12