Just saw this article

Blackphone: A secure, encrypted smartphone for the post-Snowden era | ExtremeTech

seems to me like BB is missing an opportunity here! With BB's infrastructure is seems like such a natural fit!
    01-15-14 07:24 PM
    01-15-14 07:49 PM
    `Tis howith they rollith.

BlackBerry has a history of missed opportunities. The three biggest examples off the top of my head are apps, instant messaging and wearable technology. My 7250 had 3rd party apps back in '05, but BlackBerry did nothing to capitalize on that until after Apple came around and created an app store. BBM was huge, but BlackBerry did nothing to capitalize on it until after everyone had moved on to other services. Lastly, I'm pretty sure BlackBerry was the first smartphone platform that was compatible with a smartwatch. What did they do? Nothing, and now wearable tech makers are completely ignoring BlackBerry. Even Eric from Alerta, the makers of the smartwatch for BlackBerry is ignoring them with the Pebble now.

I think security and automotive might be the next thing they could have capitalized on but didn't. Maybe they should start an aggressive marketing campaign and let people know that secure smartphones are already here. They might be able to move some product if they let folks know that they don't need to wait for this Blackphone to arrive.
    Baber Sultan and Savior4Life like this.
    01-15-14 07:53 PM

I think security and automotive might be the next thing they could have capitalized on but didn't. Maybe they should start an aggressive marketing campaign and let people know that secure smartphones are already here. They might be able to move some product if they let folks know that they don't need to wait for this Blackphone to arrive.
    Agreed! Why not a capitalize on being top of the line in security (So you don't need a blackphone) and win some contracts with more auto companies as Google already has?
    01-16-14 01:53 PM
    This is a niche application that almost has to come from a startup because this depends somewhat on operating under the radar. If your phones are still being commonly used by government agencies then I don't know how you can can also do something like a Blackphone.
    Tatwi likes this.
    01-16-14 02:17 PM
    Surely BlackBerry have another potential lawsuit to go after with the Blackphone name? Does this not create confusion for less informed (non-crackberry) customers, if it is sold through consumer channels?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 04:59 PM
    BBRY should of been a lot of things.....
    01-16-14 05:09 PM