Let's talk numbers of users then. Bb currently has 62 million bbos bis subscribers. Lets say only 10 percent of them gets carried on to BlackBerry 10. Combine that with the existing bb10 user base. You would have 10 million users. Isn't that enough for a crummy ported app which works sideloaded anyway with no resources or "development" time spent?
    As of the end of BB's fiscal 2Q14 , BB has sold less than 3 M BB10 phones. That means less than 1 in 20 BB phones in current use is a BB10 phone. For that matter, BBOS phones have outsold BB10 phones in every month that BB10 has been available. The number is nowhere near close to 10 M BB10 phones, and in fact, that many phones won't have even been produced. Even counting Z30 production, the total number of phones built should be approx 7M, based on all of the numbers BB has made available and the other info we have. Out of that must be subtracted all of the phones in inventory at BB, all of the phones in inventory of the carriers, all of the phones that have been returned or replaced, etc. Assuming that BB doesn't manufacture anymore BB10 phones, which I think is a very strong possibility, that means BB10 will max out at about 5.5-6M phones in the hands of users, if all available phones are eventually sold, which could take another year or more, even at firesale prices.

And, no, I don't think that number of phones is going to get developers' interest, when they can spend their efforts on platforms with larger (and still growing) userbases.

Even porting their Android app means they are obligated to then support that port or risk bad reviews and a bad reputation. If an end-user converts and side-loads the app on their own, they know they can't go to the dev for support, but if the dev puts the app in BB World, that changes in a big way. Devs know this; they've experienced how it works. Many devs have come here to CB and said more or less what I've just written here.

Aside from devs who are simply BB fans and want to write for BB10 "just because", you aren't likely to get too many to choose the platform based on any kind of business justification, because the numbers just don't add up. That's not emotion, that's accounting.
    len pothier likes this.
    10-15-13 11:37 PM
    Why don't BlackBerry let all android apps be ported to BlackBerry surly it's better than no apps

Posted via CB10
    They aren't barring developers to port their apps... so they are already doing what you want them to do.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:00 AM
    What they should really be doing is make it so no porting is required. Allow BB10 to run APK files directly, while still sandboxing them.
    10-16-13 07:56 AM
    What they should really be doing is make it so no porting is required. Allow BB10 to run APK files directly, while still sandboxing them.
    To do that, they'd have to be running full Android, and if they do that, there's no need or use for BB10.
    10-16-13 05:37 PM
    Let's talk numbers of users then. Bb currently has 62 million bbos bis subscribers. Lets say only 10 percent of them gets carried on to BlackBerry 10. Combine that with the existing bb10 user base. You would have 10 million users. Isn't that enough for a crummy ported app which works sideloaded anyway with no resources or "development" time spent?

Posted via CB10
    Except once that app is ported, they have to hire additional staff for support/updates, have to buy and maintain devices for testing, etc.

Not to mention, most comanies won't wan't a "crummy" app out there, they will want one built from the ground up for the platform, so that it meshes with the rest of the OS, and maintains the standard of quality they expect. All of which is a lot more work.

With so few users, it seems to be not worth it. Consider how long it took Instagram to drop their Android app, and Android had tons more users than BB10 does.
    10-18-13 07:59 PM
    I think it a bit different than most I guess. BlackBerry maybe should invest in some apps like SunTrust Mobile and alike because mobile banking is almost a necessity. Where they could do the largest good is to develop and add an installer to their OS so we can download from wherever we are getting our bars and install them directly. Side loading is a big turn off to many people and if that's what it takes then the majority will accept a different device instead.

I think they could also get the process a little easier to do things in development. Have been trying for nearly 2 months just to get the files needed to do my own debug token and have yet to get the 2 files in email. Most links given to update software fail about halfway through or just don't work. This is another area BlackBerry needs to step up. Most I have spoken to won't fight hard to work on a new OS when the bigger 3 have made it so easy.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 08:30 PM
    I think the devs have been told not to give their support to BlackBerry to support their local industry (meaning apple and google)

Posted via CB10
    Yes, all developers are Americans, everyone knows that!

Still think nothing else is in play here?

It's not a conspiracy it's just the big boys making sure the competition stays down. The ROI argument doesn't make sense to me as long as bb10 has the android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    .....of course....they are worried and scared of BB, so they have coerced hundreds/thousands of big and small developers to not work on BB10 versions. They do a great job, since NOT ONE has come forward to reveal this conspiracy. You'd think at least a few would resent that kind of control....aren't programmers rather anti-authority....guess not....

....of course....Eric Schmidt or Tim Cook could just BUY BB outright with the spare change in their pockets at any give time.... but I'm sure they'd rather go through a convoluted, huge-scale plan of developer coercion, risking their reputation, ,
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-19-13 01:16 AM
    BB want all android apps to be ported, but not all developers want their apps to be ported , that is why right now BB have to settle with Spam S4BB apps + 3rd party developers
    10-19-13 03:41 AM
    Yes, all developers are Americans, everyone knows that!

.....of course....they are worried and scared of BB, so they have coerced hundreds/thousands of big and small developers to not work on BB10 versions. They do a great job, since NOT ONE has come forward to reveal this conspiracy. You'd think at least a few would resent that kind of control....aren't programmers rather anti-authority....guess not....

....of course....Eric Schmidt or Tim Cook could just BUY BB outright with the spare change in their pockets at any give time.... but I'm sure they'd rather go through a convoluted, huge-scale plan of developer coercion, risking their reputation, ,
    Lowest form of wit they say.

They don't have to coerce hundreds or thousands. Dramatic much?

Just key ones. Instagram, Netflix. Etc.

How do you explain the app developers refusal even though blackberry said that THEY will foot the bill for the development as they have with Facebook for BlackBerry 10?

Z30-Q10-Z10-iP5
    10-20-13 06:45 AM
    Lowest form of wit they say.

They don't have to coerce hundreds or thousands. Dramatic much?

Just key ones. Instagram, Netflix. Etc.

How do you explain the app developers refusal even though blackberry said that THEY will foot the bill for the development as they have with Facebook for BlackBerry 10?

Z30-Q10-Z10-iP5
    Development isn't the only cost of having an app. Support is a huge part of it, which is an ongoing cost which the company will have to pay themselves. They clearly don't think the income from the app will be worth the expense, even without dev. costs.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-20-13 07:10 PM
    So now with 10.2.1.XXXX blackberry MAY introduce play store integration.

If this were at all possible, even for consideration, then porting apps would have to be a very simple process no?

Please dont make excuses for devs who are against porting apps officially let alone developing a native app for BlackBerry 10. Obviously they have an agenda against BlackBerry. And its not ROI. Any talk of ROI is nonsensical.

Z30, Q10, iP5
    11-11-13 02:40 PM
    Development isn't the only cost of having an app. Support is a huge part of it, which is an ongoing cost which the company will have to pay themselves. They clearly don't think the income from the app will be worth the expense, even without dev. costs.
    Just as blackberry has done with facebook and twitter.

App support services will be handled by blackberry themselves.

Dont believe me? Have a look below. Its the "support" contact for facebook app in blackberry app world.

Attachment 219502

Does it lead to a [email protected] email add? NO IT DOES NOT!
    11-11-13 02:42 PM
    Just as blackberry has done with facebook and twitter.

App support services will be handled by blackberry themselves.

Dont believe me? Have a look below. Its the "support" contact for facebook app in blackberry app world.

Attachment 219502

Does it lead to a [email protected] email add? NO IT DOES NOT!
    Attachment didn't work, but regardless, an email address doesn't prove anything. The group I work for has other brands that don't all use our main name, they all have individual ones, with emails that match, but they all go to us in the end.
    11-11-13 07:09 PM
    Well it goes to a blackberry address. No one from facebook is giving support for blackberry's bb10 facebook app

Z30, Q10, iP5
    11-11-13 07:12 PM
    Well it goes to a blackberry address. No one from facebook is giving support for blackberry's bb10 facebook app

Z30, Q10, iP5
    That was exactly what I explained to be a non-indicator. Unless there's actually a statement from either company to lay it out specifically, it could be either one.

It also doesn't consider that not every company will be interested in outsourcing their app support to a third party, or that the cost of doing that for every major app will be steep for BB if that's how they pull it off. With all the staff they're cutting, running in house app support for other companies doesn't seem reasonable.
    11-11-13 09:21 PM
    That was exactly what I explained to be a non-indicator. Unless there's actually a statement from either company to lay it out specifically, it could be either one.

It also doesn't consider that not every company will be interested in outsourcing their app support to a third party, or that the cost of doing that for every major app will be steep for BB if that's how they pull it off. With all the staff they're cutting, running in house app support for other companies doesn't seem reasonable.
    You do know that the facebook app for BB10 is developed and supported by blackberry themselves right? The blackberry email I mentioned is the general support email add for app world.

For example the bloomberg app found on BlackBerry world is supported by bloomberg themselves.

6 months ago when BlackBerry was trying very hard to get all the major apps to port or create a native app for BB10 they didnt have problems with staff.

Windows phone managed to "pay" their way into getting apps quite early on.

I understand your point but it all seems like excuses to me. And its all said in hindsight.

Z30, Q10, iP5
    11-11-13 09:57 PM
    So let me get this straight BlackBerry has licensed apps such as Facebook in the past. BlackBerry spends all the time and money writing and maintaining the app as well as perhaps pay Facebook a licensing fee so what's the hold up with the other developers out there that complain about ROI?
    And people wonder how all the conspiracy theories on CB get started?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 01:54 AM
    So let me get this straight BlackBerry has licensed apps such as Facebook in the past. BlackBerry spends all the time and money writing and maintaining the app as well as perhaps pay Facebook a licensing fee so what's the hold up with the other developers out there that complain about ROI?
    And people wonder how all the conspiracy theories on CB get started?

Posted via CB10
    Thats what ive been trying to say.

By the way have you read about the new leaked 10.2.1.1055 OS? We can now install .apk files directly into our phones (the phone does the bar conversion with out a pc!)

A user installed netflix using an apk file on his phone. And it works.

How that for the porting "development cost" arguement? Get real!

Z30, Q10, iP5
    11-12-13 05:22 AM
    Instagram blocked older versions of their side loaded app and steadfastly refuse to port or develop a native BB10 app why? I downloaded Blackgram it works beautifully blackberry should start to throw money at these independent devs to write more client apps. And because this independent dev took the time and resources to write Blackgram I don't mind paying the three bucks it cost.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 08:21 AM
    Instagram blocked older versions of their side loaded app and steadfastly refuse to port or develop a native BB10 app why? I downloaded Blackgram it works beautifully blackberry should start to throw money at these independent devs to write more client apps. And because this independent dev took the time and resources to write Blackgram I don't mind paying the three bucks it cost.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Igrann v 1.0.0.2 is coming up very nicely give that a try.

Z30, Q10, iP5
    11-12-13 08:47 AM
    Just read Adams post on directly downloading android apps! Very good news indeed hopefully Amazon will be on board and we can tell Google play to go F..k itself! lol

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:09 AM
    Just read Adams post on directly downloading android apps! Very good news indeed hopefully Amazon will be on board and we can tell Google play to go F..k itself! lol

Posted via CB10
    With the up and coming 10.2.1.XXXX OSes. You can install amazon app store and install apps DIRECTLY! This might change thing up a little for blackberry.

Your sentiment on Google play is shared!

Z30, Q10, iP5
    11-12-13 04:13 PM
47 12