I thought of this service and I think Blackberry is in a good position to provide this service and for providing this service they will be able to re position themselves better.

The Service I am referring to is that Blackberry is able to provide a data roaming service for Blackberry 10 and Blackberry Android phones. What it essentially is, is that let's say I'm in my home country and I have a problem getting data reception, my Blackberry phone automatically switch to a network that has a stronger reception.

If I am in a foreign country I automatically get data roaming facility from the network service provider that offers the strongest signal.

All these can be offered for a nominal fee for a local roaming and an additional fee for international roaming. This fee however needs to be a fixed monthly fee or a fixed daily or weekly fee for an international roaming.

How will this be beneficial to Blackberry? Well Blackberry can make this arrangement with all the Network providers that they are connected to around the world to make this deal. Then they will have to build in an application that is integrated into the Blackberry OS for both Blackberry 10 and the Android version.

Then Blackberry will have to share this income with the Network Providers for these service. In this way they will be once again relevant to :
    1. Network Providers
    2. Business customers
    3. Consumers who travel

What do you guys think?
    02-08-16 12:12 PM
    Sounds like a logistics and billing nightmare, never mind the fact you'd have to convince every carrier.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-08-16 01:52 PM
    I thought of this service and I think Blackberry is in a good position to provide this service and for providing this service they will be able to re position themselves better.

The Service I am referring to is that Blackberry is able to provide a data roaming service for Blackberry 10 and Blackberry Android phones. What it essentially is, is that let's say I'm in my home country and I have a problem getting data reception, my Blackberry phone automatically switch to a network that has a stronger reception.

If I am in a foreign country I automatically get data roaming facility from the network service provider that offers the strongest signal.

All these can be offered for a nominal fee for a local roaming and an additional fee for international roaming. This fee however needs to be a fixed monthly fee or a fixed daily or weekly fee for an international roaming.

How will this be beneficial to Blackberry? Well Blackberry can make this arrangement with all the Network providers that they are connected to around the world to make this deal. Then they will have to build in an application that is integrated into the Blackberry OS for both Blackberry 10 and the Android version.

Then Blackberry will have to share this income with the Network Providers for these service. In this way they will be once again relevant to :
    1. Network Providers
    2. Business customers
    3. Consumers who travel

What do you guys think?
    Don't iPhones and Android phones already do this in many cases?
    02-08-16 02:28 PM
    Sorry op, Blackberry can't even convince app developers to make apps for BB. And convincing carriers to share their roaming charges earnings is like making a u-turn while inside a black hole.
    02-08-16 03:21 PM
    Sounds like a logistics and billing nightmare, never mind the fact you'd have to convince every carrier.
    There will be no logistical or billing nightmare as there is just non billing. The reason is that anyone who subscribe to this gets to use the data access regardless of the amount of data they use while roaming. They just pay a flat fee for the access.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 12:16 PM
    Don't iPhones and Android phones already do this in many cases?
    No, nobody is doing this service at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 12:16 PM
    Sorry op, Blackberry can't even convince app developers to make apps for BB. And convincing carriers to share their roaming charges earnings is like making a u-turn while inside a black hole.
    I seriously think that would be an easy sell.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 12:17 PM
    How is this not just BlackBerry being the unnecessary middleman for regular old roaming?

At least you didn't say they should become a carrier.
    02-09-16 12:46 PM
    Why would network providers give up lucrative roaming fees - especially the international fees - in order to give people flat-rate service?

If your boss came to you and said "Hi, Bob, I know you're used to making $30/hour, and getting overtime and paid holidays and all that, often resulting in you making a gross pay of $75,000 a year. But it would be better for our customers if you just worked for a flat rate of $10,000 per year, no matter how many hours we schedule you for. Sound good to you? I mean, I know you want what's best for our customers, right? And this will save them money and be popular with them!" Would that fly with you? Because that's exactly what you're asking the networks to do - cut their own pay in a big way.
    02-09-16 07:54 PM
    There will be no logistical or billing nightmare as there is just non billing. The reason is that anyone who subscribe to this gets to use the data access regardless of the amount of data they use while roaming. They just pay a flat fee for the access.

Posted via CB10
    You are aware carriers bill each other for roaming, right? What the account holders see on their bill is just one very small side of the equation. That's why they all have roaming agreements and such. e.g: Rogers roams on AT&T but can't roam on T-Mobile etc.
    02-12-16 10:25 AM
    Carriers already have deals with multiple carriers when roaming. Not sure why and how BlackBerry can offer a competitive advantage that carriers would find interesting.

Yeah, I see your point: a carrier would only have to negotiate with one provider to have roaming services abroad. But there has to be significant competitive advantage for carrier to do so. Not to mention the colossal task in front of BlackBerry to negotiate all those contracts with no guarantees that it will work

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 10:33 AM