I rushed out to buy a Tim Card and load it up into the app to try it out. The face of the cashier was priceless. He didn't understand how I paid but didn't want to ask at first. When he finally did, I kinda laughed and took the opportunity to show off my z10.

After leaving, I got to thinking about the possibilities of NFC money transfers of all kinds. Who's next? Canadian Tire, WalMart, Home Depot? This is basically a viable solution to all major retailers to avoid credit card fees. With how co-operative Tim Hortons has been with Blackberry, I could see Blackberry persuading them to showcase this feature in a TV ad. With a little luck, it garners great attention and leads to other major retailers following suit.

After retailers, you have major credit cards. And banks. All of which wouldn't risk it with Android. This brings light to Blackberry's security and finally gives Blackberry a competitive advantage. Once the "Blackberry is secure" floodgates open, you are left with a self-selling marketing opportunity..

Enter BBM Money. Allows for transfers between friends, family, people on the street, vendors, etc. Allow for credit on BBM money (maybe carrier billing, like BBWorld) or direct link to bank accounts and now you have turned BBM into a competitor to Interac, Visa, etc.

I'll stop here and let someone else continue with now bringing this M2M. E.g - pull into a gas station, fill up, charges your car directly.

Edit: forgot to mention, only Blackberry's handsets can guarantee full security. So once this idea takes off, ideally, so do handset sales.
    12-10-13 03:50 AM
    I share your enthusiasm and excitement - I can't believe that it's 2013 and I'm still carrying coins and cash around.

However,

only Blackberry's handsets can guarantee full security
    let's not get overboard here.

Banknotes were very secure. Until people started drawing their own...
    Coins were very secure, until people started counterfeiting them too.
    Credit cards were very secure, until people copied your signature. Latterly this could read "Credit Cards were very secure until naughty people figured out how to clone it and record your PIN".

Everything is very secure until criminals put the work in and break into it - I'm sure that (even!) BlackBerry aren't so arrogant that they would "guarantee" anything so sweeping. If anything, it would spur the baddies into action!

I look forward to a cash-solution/replacement, however!

In other news - it's clearly The Future already - where's my flying car?!
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    12-10-13 06:41 AM
    Perhaps guarantee is the wrong word. But I would put BlackBerry's security up against any of the alternatives currently
    12-10-13 02:21 PM
    I just tried and we couldn't get it to work I have a newly loaded card linked to the app and everything.
    12-10-13 08:40 PM
    IF I remember correctly the Royal Bank allowed a blackberry to use NFC at a McDonalds in Toronto earlier this year, there was a blog post about it.
    12-10-13 08:57 PM
    I can't wait to get a timmy card to try this on my z30

I actually prefer McDonald's coffee, but timmy supports nfc and BlackBerry, so timms here I come

Posted via CB10
    peregrineay likes this.
    12-10-13 09:01 PM
    I had a bunch of cards where I wasn't sure of the balance. The app is a great way to check that. Going to be stopping at Timmies soon to try the tap to pay.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:00 PM
    I share your enthusiasm and excitement - I can't believe that it's 2013 and I'm still carrying coins and cash around.

However,

let's not get overboard here.

Banknotes were very secure. Until people started drawing their own...
    Coins were very secure, until people started counterfeiting them too.
    Credit cards were very secure, until people copied your signature. Latterly this could read "Credit Cards were very secure until naughty people figured out how to clone it and record your PIN".

Everything is very secure until criminals put the work in and break into it - I'm sure that (even!) BlackBerry aren't so arrogant that they would "guarantee" anything so sweeping. If anything, it would spur the baddies into action!

I look forward to a cash-solution/replacement, however!

In other news - it's clearly The Future already - where's my flying car?!
    Doesnt BlackBerry every year do a break into our code and you could win x amount of $$$$

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    12-10-13 10:07 PM
    How do you tell the cashier the way way you want to pay?
    Do you say tims card, but with mybphone?
    Do u you say credit card, but with my phone?

I'm thinking that if you say tims card the cashier might not know how to punch it in to evoke the nfc on the terminal.

Posted via CB10.2.1. Devices: iPhone 5, galaxy S3, I pad 2, PlayBook, ms Surface
    12-10-13 10:45 PM
    @Spade they did, and the hackers successfully snatched the address book through a browser flaw.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:37 AM
    I just tried and we couldn't get it to work I have a newly loaded card linked to the app and everything.
    Was your NFC turned on?
    12-11-13 01:00 AM
    How do you tell the cashier the way way you want to pay?
    Do you say tims card, but with mybphone?
    Do u you say credit card, but with my phone?

I'm thinking that if you say tims card the cashier might not know how to punch it in to evoke the nfc on the terminal.

Posted via CB10.2.1. Devices: iPhone 5, galaxy S3, I pad 2, PlayBook, ms Surface
    Yeah I say Tim Card and hold up my phone. The whole place gathered around today because the cashier shouted "did you seriously just pay with your phone?!" Showed off the z10 to 5 or 6 people.

I'm telling ya, this could be a big marketing opportunity for BlackBerry!
    BBFanatic4Life likes this.
    12-11-13 01:04 AM
    Was your NFC turned on?
    yep
    12-11-13 01:14 AM
    yep
    Weird, it works flawlessly for me. Maybe you NFC chip is broken. I've had it happen to my tap Visa before
    12-11-13 02:02 AM
    Just used it today. It was quick and effortless. And cool.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 11:23 AM
    I can't wait to get a timmy card to try this on my z30

I actually prefer McDonald's coffee, but timmy supports nfc and BlackBerry, so timms here I come

Posted via CB10
    Same here.

I found a couple of old Tims cards and loaded them, merged, and now just need to load some more money on - and then tell my taste buds it won't be as bad as I remember. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 01:48 PM
    Heh this thing is awesome. Used it twice to get coffee yesterday.

One thing to note is that the app takes a moment to start so you should get it ready ahead of time.
    12-13-13 04:34 AM