I think that is why john chen is pursuing the Foxconn deal. Using a larger manufacturer will bring costs down. It is strange then that Apple has never done that even though they could.

Posted via CB10
    Why should they? All working out great for them with premium pricing strategy!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-29-13 02:32 PM
    The OP makes a very valid point though. I work in retail, and man our prepaid Nokias have been flying off the shelf ever since we started carrying them. I'm a fan of Microsoft and I'm glad to see them doing well, and without a doubt, these cheap Lumias are helping Windows Phone move along well. The AT&T and T-Mobile variants really do sell out as quick as we get them. 4G and sufficient functionality, they already outperform these cheap Androids where they're still sticking ICS or Jelly Bean on 600-800mhz hardware. To put it another way, I definitely could not see harming BlackBerry's sales to try and create a modern BB10 device on the cheap, but the initial cost who knows. Nokia seems to be highly successful with these phones so far, but they've got Nokia and Microsoft money to have started the ball rolling too.

I should also mention one of our newer guys has the 521 and I've been able to see it hands-on. There are a few games that require more RAM, the store will tell you that you need more when you try to download it, but that's it. There is no in-between, the performance for everything else it does run is great. Didn't see a bit of lag in anything. That is a great formula for selling on the cheap.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    I had a Q10 that was flaky on me, so about 2 weeks ago i went out and bought the Lumia 520 GoPhone and slipped my SIM into it. I do not feel like I am lacking on this phone (except no camera flash on the Lumia). I have a $70 GoPhone as my daily driver, and the $200+contract phone sitting at home as a backup. There is a huge market in North America for a low cost phone as more and more people look to go to prepaid, and save money. The Lumia does not lag and meets all my smartphone needs. It's why I started this topic.
    12-31-13 02:01 PM
    People on the FatWallet forum consistly post about the deals for the Nokia 521 when the price is very low... today $69 on QVC. I never knew the Z10 was offered on QVC, but there it is for $699. Who would buy the Z10 for that price? Makes absolutely no sense.
    12-31-13 02:16 PM
    I switched from a Bold 9700 to a Lumia 520 as I had problems with BESx and couldn't justify the price of the BB10 device. I miss the keyboard, but other than that, I'll be sticking with WP8.
    My wife has a Bold 9790, she'd switch if there was a Lumia with keys, other than that she'll be going for a Q10 when BB finally drop the price.
    If BB10 can only run on high spec hardware, then BB have a problem. Brand isn't as strong as Apple, and not possible for a cheap device.
    01-03-14 07:47 AM
    If Blackberry can put out a comparable phone to the Lumia 520 at same price point, I might give it a shot.
    01-04-14 08:16 AM
    If Blackberry can put out a comparable phone to the Lumia 520 at same price point, I might give it a shot.
    So might I, but I don't believe that even the power of greyskull FoxConn can produce a comparable BB10 phone for $100.

What I think many on CB seem to be missing is the fact that the Lumia 520 is a fully-featured WinPhone8 device that sells for peanuts. I have two and, whilst they take ages to start-up, thereafter they are a smooth delight of GUI response and utility and a superb advertisement for WP8. If you like the slightly Fisher-Price WinPhone experience (which I do actually), using the L520 might encourage a buyer to splash out on a more expensive WinPhone next time.

By contrast, I've seen a number of posts here on CB discussing what might best be removed from BB10 so that a BB device can come in at a competitive price to the L520. Which raises the question to me: Why on earth would I want to buy a reduced-functionality BB device when I can buy a fully-featured Android or WinPhone handset for the same money?

In any market, particularly a price-concious market it's all about bangs per buck!
    01-04-14 12:17 PM
    You would actually use a BB10 phone that would have to have a seriously pared down OS with limited functionality the 520 has 512mbs of ram (BB10 needs minimum of 2gbs) no gps no compass no nfc no front facing camera no flash 8gbs of internal memory (the 520 uses 3gbs for Win OS) and also not be able to run all of the apps that are available just like the 520 which can't handle a lot of the games and apps windows have available. No LTE not to mention how in the world would BlackBerry make a profit on each phone after Foxconn takes their cut to manufacture the phone? What's Nokia's BOM on the 520 anyways? Are they selling it at a loss?

You need to be realistic, BlackBerry would be better off trying to release a phone comparable to the Google Nexus for $450.00.

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1925 Take that Mr App Gap!
    01-04-14 11:45 PM
    Agree with the op, but probably a cheaper Q3 and the not Q5 could be it.

Something on the lines of 8520 from the bbos days needs to be repeated!

People have a very negative outlook towards blackberry as a company, that needs to be cleared by launching new affordable phones and getting more users on board.

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    01-05-14 12:37 AM
    You would actually use a BB10 phone that would have to have a seriously pared down OS with limited functionality the 520 has 512mbs of ram (BB10 needs minimum of 2gbs) no gps no compass no nfc no front facing camera no flash 8gbs of internal memory (the 520 uses 3gbs for Win OS) and also not be able to run all of the apps that are available just like the 520 which can't handle a lot of the games and apps windows have available. No LTE not to mention how in the world would BlackBerry make a profit on each phone after Foxconn takes their cut to manufacture the phone? What's Nokia's BOM on the 520 anyways? Are they selling it at a loss?

You need to be realistic, BlackBerry would be better off trying to release a phone comparable to the Google Nexus for $450.00.

I disagree : 1GB ram is enough (see dev alpha device).

- why no GPS?
    - NFC is anyway just useless
    - LTE for a 3rd world device?
    - why so much internal memory? Not needed.
    - guess front camera is not that expensive

Don't think Foxconn and BlackBerry will make a lot on these devices. But for BlackBerry it's okay to sell without loss (and Foxconn makes some peanuts).
    The high end devices for enterprise will (are supposed) to bring them the money. Also don't forget they are a software company now (with ahardware unit attached), so their focus will be what's on the device.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 02:17 AM
    A BlackBerry BB10 phone for less than $100? I don't think its possible without compromising performance. $150-200 maybe.
    01-05-14 08:57 AM
    I disagree : 1GB ram is enough (see dev alpha device).

- why no GPS?
    - NFC is anyway just useless
    - LTE for a 3rd world device?
    - why so much internal memory? Not needed.
    - guess front camera is not that expensive

Don't think Foxconn and BlackBerry will make a lot on these devices. But for BlackBerry it's okay to sell without loss (and Foxconn makes some peanuts).
    The high end devices for enterprise will (are supposed) to bring them the money. Also don't forget they are a software company now (with ahardware unit attached), so their focus will be what's on the device.

Posted via CB10
    I am comparing the specs that are on the 520 which jas no GPS NFC or LTE the 520 has 8gbs of internal memory with WinOS taking up 3gbs and trust me with the size of apps now a days you need at least 16gbs. I'm up to 12 gbs on my Z10 and if BB10 can run on 1gb of ram then ask all the PlayBook owners out there if that's the case? The 520 has a half a gig of RAM so unless blackberry were to release a "dumbed down" version of BB10 it won't run. + the Jaraka is a full touch screen meaning people will want to use it to play games I don't see need for speed or Dead Space working on it.

Lastly BlackBerry can't afford to not make at least some profit on hardware sales they don't have the luxury of MS or Apple that have and endless supply of cash. It would make more sense to release a Google Nexus type phone with similar specs for $450.00.

01-05-14 06:21 PM
    Well my dev alpha worked great with just 1GB so I don't think that this will be a problem.

But I disagree with you saying they need to compete in the mid-range price segment.
    They tried and failed. This segment is crowded by apple, Samsung, htc, Huawei, Nokia... you name them.

I think competing in the low range for developing markets and business users in the western is the way to go.
    These are the only markets they have a chance in.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 03:00 AM
37 12