Ok, so what if BlackBerry made a deal to have a handset made by a different company that currently makes Andriod devices, one that would be produced as a slightly modified version of said company's own product with BB10 installed. The point is to get a larger economy of scale plus things like cases etc would be compatible between the devices.

It would still be branded as a BlackBerry and the casual user may never know the difference.

Good idea? Bad?

For instance, it could be a slightly modified HTC with BlackBerry 10 rather than andriod. BlackBerry would also jointly design the hardware and specs. The result would give both companies more leverage with hardware specs.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:35 PM
    You know, if they made the HTC One a little smaller and squared off the back...

BlackBerry handsets made by HTC?-htconez10-3.jpg
    11-05-13 07:38 PM
    I have HTC One... and I keep saying to myself, if this thing runs BB10, this would be an awesome phone!...

Posted via Z10
    11-05-13 07:41 PM
    The HTC One running BB10 would truly be the ultimate BlackBerry 10 device!
    I mean, it even has the top and bottom bezel!
    11-05-13 07:43 PM
    Nobody wants to make phones that run bb10 at the moment.

Freeware courtesy of google.

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    11-05-13 07:52 PM
    Then HTC one is nice but it just doesn't feel as nice in the hand as the Z30. Perhaps a team effort.

Posted from my Z30
    SK122387 likes this.
    11-05-13 07:53 PM
    Licensing out to updated model is a good method , until at least BlackBerry can catch up themselves. But not only one hardware issue is the magic bullet for BlackBerry 10.

Another real problem with bb10 is not is the lack of relevant native software.

Maybe even other issues with power management.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:53 PM
    HTC is moving away from the high end handsets to cheaper more mainstream devices. There would zero in it for them to do anything with BB10. Even if BB10 were licensed for free (in which case it would help neither company).
    11-05-13 08:00 PM
    You all miss my point, I am not talking about HTC licensing BB10, I am talking about HTC manufacturing BlackBerry handsets for BlackBerry as the OEM, based on one of their existing models.

They would be marketed, branded and sold as BlackBerry phones.

A joint effot woukd give greater scale.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 10:32 PM
    HTC handsets running BB10? Sure. Fine. If that means more people will buy it.

But for the love of all things holy, please let there be at least ONE true BlackBerry, designed by BlackBerry, with a full qwerty keyboard. That's all I ask for now that I know BlackBerry will be sticking around for a while.
    11-05-13 10:37 PM
    You all miss my point, I am not talking about HTC licensing BB10, I am talking about HTC manufacturing BlackBerry handsets for BlackBerry as the OEM, based on one of their existing models.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much HTC going back to its roots as an ODM for others.
    11-05-13 10:39 PM
    [QUOTE=dale-c;9486296]You all miss my point, I am not talking about HTC licensing BB10, I am talking about HTC manufacturing BlackBerry handsets for BlackBerry as the OEM, based on one of their existing models.

/QUOTE]

Greater scale for what? Are you suggesting that HTC would chip in for the marketing on these devices or what? Blackberry has no problem building the phones as it is - they have a problem selling them.
    11-05-13 10:43 PM
    HTC, and all other Android manufacturers, are prohibited from manufacturing phones that run non-certified versions of Android. That would include BB10, due to the Android runtime. So, the only way any existing Android manufacturer could make BB10 phones would be to give up their membership in the Android Open Handset Alliance, lose access to Google Play and Google's Android support, and try to sell their products on their own. Since none of those companies have their own ecosystem (App store, Media store, etc.), they wouldn't be able to sell their phones, so really, they'd have to give up their Android business entirely, to make BB10 phones. I don't see that happening.

The other possibility is that BB removes the Android runtime from BB10. Then, HTC or LG or any other Android manufacturer would be free to make phones for BB.
    11-06-13 04:02 AM
    HTC, and all other Android manufacturers, are prohibited from manufacturing phones that run non-certified versions of Android. That would include BB10, due to the Android runtime. So, the only way any existing Android manufacturer could make BB10 phones would be to give up their membership in the Android Open Handset Alliance, lose access to Google Play and Google's Android support, and try to sell their products on their own. Since none of those companies have their own ecosystem (App store, Media store, etc.), they wouldn't be able to sell their phones, so really, they'd have to give up their Android business entirely, to make BB10 phones. I don't see that happening.

The other possibility is that BB removes the Android runtime from BB10. Then, HTC or LG or any other Android manufacturer would be free to make phones for BB.

But Samsung, HTC, huawei etc are also WP OEMs include LG as well since they are coming back to WP soon. They make WP devices and they are still in the android open source alliance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-06-13 04:24 AM
    Ok, so what if BlackBerry made a deal to have a handset made by a different company that currently makes Andriod devices, one that would be produced as a slightly modified version of said company's own product with BB10 installed. The point is to get a larger economy of scale plus things like cases etc would be compatible between the devices.

It would still be branded as a BlackBerry and the casual user may never know the difference.

Good idea? Bad?

For instance, it could be a slightly modified HTC with BlackBerry 10 rather than andriod. BlackBerry would also jointly design the hardware and specs. The result would give both companies more leverage with hardware specs.

Posted via CB10
    I think this is a good idea. Still have a HD2 running windows phone 6.5. Reminds me of the Z10 in a way.
    11-06-13 04:34 AM
    But Samsung, HTC, huawei etc are also WP OEMs include LG as well since they are coming back to WP soon. They make WP devices and they are still in the android open source alliance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    WP doesn't run a version of Android... Being a part of the alliance doesn't prevent selling phones with another OS.
    11-06-13 04:37 AM
    An HTC running BB10? I think that will be awesome!
    11-06-13 07:10 AM
    Not really an HTC running bb10, perhaps to be more clear, I am talking about the outsourcing of the manufacturing of at least some of the devices.

I used HTC as an example because they are a quality hardware manufacturer.

As for the Alliance, I don't see how that is a problem because these would NOT be HTC phones. Simply a contract with BlackBerry to handle manufacturing of SOME BlackBerry models.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    You totally missed my point. I am not saying that HTC should license bb10. I am saying BlackBerry could potentially outsource some or manufacturing.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:30 AM
    Then HTC one is nice but it just doesn't feel as nice in the hand as the Z30. Perhaps a team effort.

Posted from my Z30
    Oh, yes. This is what I had in mind. BlackBerry would be doing a lot of design. HTC would be doing the manufacturing and could also sell both WP and Android versions of the same hardware.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:31 AM
    This would be awesome. However, I really do like the feel of blackberry phones. I would really miss the glassweave feel on my Q10
    11-06-13 07:46 AM
    Not really an HTC running bb10, perhaps to be more clear, I am talking about the outsourcing of the manufacturing of at least some of the devices.

I used HTC as an example because they are a quality hardware manufacturer.

As for the Alliance, I don't see how that is a problem because these would NOT be HTC phones. Simply a contract with BlackBerry to handle manufacturing of SOME BlackBerry models.
    Let me repeat this one more time: when a manufacturer joins the Android OHA, they agree not to manufacture phones, for themselves OR anyone else, that use a non-Google-certified version of Android.

As long as BB10 contains the Android runtime, any manufacturer in the Alliance cannot make phones for it. So, that manufacturer would either have to leave the Alliance and essentially give up Android, OR, BB would have to remove the Android runtime from BB10, before that manufacturer could make BB10 phones, even as an OEM.

This doesn't prevent Alliance members from making phones using other OSs, as long as that OS isn't a non-Google-certified Android variant, as BB10 is. They could make Windows phones, Tizen phones, Sailfish phones, Ubuntu phones, Firefox phones, etc., as long as those OSs did not contain any Android code.

The reason is simple: Google is licensing these manufacturers the Android OS for free, despite having to spend hundreds of millions a year to develop it, and because of that, Google does not want manufacturers using Android to compete against Google's Android. They can't prevent that from happening (look at Amazon, or China), but they CAN deny any who do access to Google services, including the Play Store.

Few manufacturers are going to trade their Android business for the BB10 business. Just look at BB10 sales figures to see why.
    11-06-13 01:33 PM
    If I can't have the whole dog I don't won't the tail. I want a Blackberry operating system on a blackberry made device. Just saying.
    11-06-13 01:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Very true, for now. Ever since Google bought Moto you have to think that the Droid free ride may be coming to an end.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    11-06-13 01:46 PM
    Let me repeat this one more time: when a manufacturer joins the Android OHA, they agree not to manufacture phones, for themselves OR anyone else, that use a non-Google-certified version of Android.

As long as BB10 contains the Android runtime, any manufacturer in the Alliance cannot make phones for it. So, that manufacturer would either have to leave the Alliance and essentially give up Android, OR, BB would have to remove the Android runtime from BB10, before that manufacturer could make BB10 phones, even as an OEM.

This doesn't prevent Alliance members from making phones using other OSs, as long as that OS isn't a non-Google-certified Android variant, as BB10 is. They could make Windows phones, Tizen phones, Sailfish phones, Ubuntu phones, Firefox phones, etc., as long as those OSs did not contain any Android code.

The reason is simple: Google is licensing these manufacturers the Android OS for free, despite having to spend hundreds of millions a year to develop it, and because of that, Google does not want manufacturers using Android to compete against Google's Android. They can't prevent that from happening (look at Amazon, or China), but they CAN deny any who do access to Google services, including the Play Store.

Few manufacturers are going to trade their Android business for the BB10 business. Just look at BB10 sales figures to see why.
    But what if the BB10 's that HTC makes doesn't have any Android code?

Granted without the Android code, we can't side load things and no more ported apps either they all have to be native.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 03:43 PM
30 12