Because the cost of developing, maintaining, and supporting a modern OS is astronomical, and with so few users, the subscription fee would be crazy-high. Would you pay $50-$150 a month?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    yeah why not. I speend money on so many other things that I don't need. That said I think you face I psychological berrier here.

1. st. the why should I pay for something I'd had for free.
    2. why would BlackBerry develop BB10 they could just take the money and go with maintainance
    3. There there's the hiring new programmers and initial cost that probably wouldn't get covered on the 150 $ per month fee. even being optimistic and saying everyone here would support it and sign up that probably wouldn't cover it.
    4. You need something new and amazing to charge people for something you otherwise had for free. Take Microsoft as an example they are giving away Windows 10 for free. If you take BlackBerry to the best of my knowledge they aren't in a position to give away BB11 for a year and then charge a monthy subcription for it.

I like your plan but even for someone who'd like to support it it's as flawed as hell.
    10-12-15 02:23 PM
    Not to mention it's use in the music recording industry.
    True. So Pro Tools was very important as well. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. All the old DTP tools. Microsoft Office. Pro Tools. The Mac couldn't have survived without these 3rd party developers.
    southlander likes this.
    10-12-15 02:25 PM
    2. BlackBerry will not license the BB 10 because the OS and the software is the very core of BlackBerry, which is security. They would not open this up to outsider. The very same reason apps developers are facing difficulty developing apps for BlackBerry.

SihZou Z10
    Where do you get this misinformation? For starters, in 2013 BlackBerry actively tried to get other OEMs to build BB10 phones. Nobody wanted it.

Secondly, there aren't apps being developed because there aren't enough customers to make it worthwhile for developers.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2514
    kbz1960, LazyEvul and sentimentGX4 like this.
    10-12-15 02:39 PM
    Let it go, let it gooooooo...

Posted via CB10
    LazyEvul, JeepBB, eldricho and 3 others like this.
    10-12-15 02:45 PM
    Yeah, people love to subscribe to stuff especially if your smartphone won't work if you don't continue your subscription.
    10-12-15 03:08 PM
    I just joined the Sticker Club...that should do.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo, BerryRipe and koves like this.
    10-12-15 05:01 PM
    If it keeps software updates and devices coming then I'm all for it.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-12-15 08:49 PM
    If it keeps software updates and devices coming then I'm all for it.
    Yeah! I am all for it too!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 12:47 AM
    If BB are to stupid to make money out of BB10 then why should you care. Just let it die.
    Sad but true.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    10-13-15 03:00 AM
    Blackberry should rather release it as open source. Then community will have the real chance to continue development.

Posted via CB10
    jsmith00075 likes this.
    10-13-15 03:23 AM
    Yep, I'd support a subscription model.
    10-13-15 03:26 AM
    If they had 1 million users paying $10 a month that's $10,000,000

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    10-13-15 04:48 AM
    You can't blame the OP, Chen loves nickel and dimeing people with his subscriptions. And to be fair I've seen hundreds of posts from people who feel it's their obligation to "support BlackBerry" by subscribing to no ads or timed messages or by buying every sticker pack.

I'm sure if Chen could charge a monthly fee for using a BlackBerry he would. And I'm sure a lot of Crackberry people would proudly hand over money each month to Chen like they're donating to St. Jude Children�s Research Hospital.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    Last edited by Doggerz; 10-13-15 at 05:50 AM.
    10-13-15 04:53 AM
    So pay for the phone, pay for the contract, pay for carrier fees and then on top of that pay for an OS every month.

Logic jumped outta the window.
    10-13-15 05:39 AM
    If they had 1 million users paying $10 a month that's $10,000,000

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    I would if support would ameliorate for Dev's as well as OS updates but would feel better about a $4.99/mth

Hoping it does not come to that and BB10 gets more attention in the coming year or two and gains popularity.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:25 AM
    Blackberry should rather release it as open source. Then community will have the real chance to continue development.

Posted via CB10
    Is that actually a possibility?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:38 AM
    That would be awesome!

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    10-13-15 06:42 AM
    Don't think they could retain their security if it went open source.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:57 AM
    Guys guys guys since the beginning of time Macintosh has never had anywhere near as many apps as Windows and the minority who love and use Macintosh have never stopped using Macintosh and so it goes. Lack of apps has never been a big deal, this is all just hype.
    LOL.
    10-13-15 07:17 AM
    WTH ?

Do you know there is Android devices without hard home button ?
    What I loved is how definite the statement was.

Pure comedy.
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    10-13-15 07:21 AM
    Is that actually a possibility?
    A very unlikely one, due to some BB10.

If it comes to the OS being deemed a failure by the board an no more developmenton it to come to pass, then they could release something (stripping out all the security bits and hooks to services to make sure they don't create breaches).

But when you think that BB10 is just QNX and they will not open source something they can sell... But should QNX too bomb (and I don't see that happening in 5 years) then maybe. Still, by then who would care?
    10-13-15 08:12 AM
    Hi,

I am thinking of a good idea here, instead of just apps or certain services to have subscription, why not make the whole BlackBerry 10 OS to have subscription?

I am willing to pay for a certain amount of fees yearly or even monthly and keep BlackBerry 10 alive.

BlackBerry can even go with Android and explore the Android market, while keeping BlackBerry 10 development.

Posted via CB10

IMO, bad idea. Only a handful would go for it and half of them would complain about poor customer service.

LOL. You should have been here around 4 years ago and you could have the option to pay for a hybrid OS for your Legacy device. That went over really well.
    10-13-15 08:20 AM
    LOL. You should have been here around 4 years ago and you could have paid for a hybrid OS for your Legacy devices.
    Oh good old days! Lol
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-13-15 08:22 AM
    Hi,

I am thinking of a good idea here, instead of just apps or certain services to have subscription, why not make the whole BlackBerry 10 OS to have subscription?

I am willing to pay for a certain amount of fees yearly or even monthly and keep BlackBerry 10 alive.

BlackBerry can even go with Android and explore the Android market, while keeping BlackBerry 10 development.

Posted via CB10
    why would someone pay monthly for the OS, when you can have arguably more capable OS for free?
    10-13-15 08:37 AM
    Hi,

Posted via CB10
    So what's the benefit of it (for consumer)?
    Apps? small number. Security? still debatable.
    Blackberry will waste their time if going to do this.
    10-13-15 08:55 AM
118 1234 ...