Very bad idea imo. I have yet to see how runtime benefits blackberry.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    08-16-13 04:10 PM
    Ok, it's Friday on the west coast of CA so here's my 2 cents before closing down for the weekend.
    I love the fact that my Q10 runs on Android 810 (4.2.2) runtime. It is an added bonus to be able to sidleload apps that are not available on BBW yet. I have zero issues with sideloading and though some don't work that well, most do. I sideload the ones I want and if they work--awesome, if not, I dump them and move on..end of story!
    The majority of us that have installed leaked OS's over the years are thrilled with the guys for putting out the latest 10.2.1047 leak and to Mecca for giving us teh 810 runtime. Added together, its about as good as it gets. And, btw, in the gym this week, I was showing a workout buddy of mine my Q10 with the 4.2.2 runtime and comparing it to his SG4. No doubt about it, that is a nice device, but surprisingly, my browser was just as fast as his, and the quality of the apps that he had and I had from the sideload, worked just about the same. The real estate of the screen is obviously different but the speed and quality of the apps were just as good as his. And after typing on my Q10, he admitted he loved the old curve he had and missed the keyboard.
    I have google maps, instagram, skype and a dozen other android apps on there and they all work great. I also downloaded (excuse me-sideloaded) a "task killer" app that most every android user has (as do iPhone customers-though their's works a little different) as most android and iOS apps run in the back ground causing severe battery and memory drain. If you are sideloading, download "Advanced Task Killer" from one of the sites ("apk2bar" and "good e reader" has it) and set it to clean automatically. Nice feature that works well. The only negative I can think of is that the updates have to be reloaded via side load as that feature won't work. Otherwise--I for one, love it!! And thanks to all the people working on the sideloads, Leaked OS's and especially the run time (thanks Mecca EL), its much appreciated by most.
    08-16-13 04:11 PM
    I couldn't agree less to be honest. Frankly it is its one saving grace.

There is nothing wrong with the android app experience on BB10 other than it is a stroke too technical to make it possible for the great unwashed and great aunt flo. If this could just run apk's on the fly out the gate without the conversion and side load step first, things would be far better.

The big incentive for a developer to write a BB10 app as opposed to just porting his android app is the feature rich platform he will find on BB10. For example, he can run his apps headless, and turn wifi on and off via existing api's...... :P

Truth is if BB10 is to have a future, it may just be in providing a more secure basic platform to run android apps. Give me back my keyboard shortcuts on my q10 and I can tolerate the hardware. The software is more than made up for in the most part by perfecting the android player.
    08-16-13 05:30 PM
    Purpose of Android runtime is to slowly fill the app gap a little bit and to pull the devs into blackberry ecosystem.

Once blackberry gets back the popularity, they may remove the Android run time.

Yes, it feels bad for some reason because it's blackberry running android. But what will you do if you know you're going to be having issues with apps in your new os?

BlackBerry already made and did port-a-thon event and paid devs who brought apps to blackberry world but still blackberry is struggling. BlackBerry is doing some native app promotion too.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 05:43 PM
    I couldn't agree less to be honest. Frankly it is its one saving grace.

There is nothing wrong with the android app experience on BB10 other than it is a stroke too technical to make it possible for the great unwashed and great aunt flo. If this could just run apk's on the fly out the gate without the conversion and side load step first, things would be far better.

The big incentive for a developer to write a BB10 app as opposed to just porting his android app is the feature rich platform he will find on BB10. For example, he can run his apps headless, and turn wifi on and off via existing api's...... :P

Truth is if BB10 is to have a future, it may just be in providing a more secure basic platform to run android apps. Give me back my keyboard shortcuts on my q10 and I can tolerate the hardware. The software is more than made up for in the most part by perfecting the android player.
    Ask and you shall receive! Have a great weekend learning all these--
    Q10 Shortcuts as of June 2013 10.1
    When the announcement of the BlackBerry Q10 came long ago, one key question keyboard loving BlackBerry fans had was whether or not BlackBerry had included the classic keyboard shortcuts everyone had come to know and love. Those shortcuts, most would say, help make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry and removing them would disrupt the experience.
    Luckily, we don't have to wonder what a QWERTY BlackBerry smartphone would be like without them because BlackBerry has maintained a lot of them. While some have been removed because they're no longer relevant, over 200 keyboard shortcuts have made their way into BlackBerry 10 and ultimately the BlackBerry Q10 and we've got a growing list of them all.
    To help keep things nice and neat we've pulled out the ones folks are most likely to use and outlined them below. As more are found through general use, we'll add them to the list as well.
    BlackBerry Q10 Keyboard Shortcuts
    Contacts

• Any key - List views - Search

Calendar

• P - Agenda/Week/Schedule/Month - Go to previous day/week/month
    • N - Agenda/Week/Schedule/Month - Go to next day/week/month
    • C - Agenda/Week/Schedule/Month - Create a new event
    • T - Agenda/Week/Schedule/Month - Jump to today
    • S - Agenda/Week/Schedule/Month - Switch to search view
    • I - Schedule and week view - Move between Day/Week/Month/6 Month in sequence
    • O - Schedule and week view - Move between Day/Week/Month/6 Month in sequence
    • D - Schedule and day view - Move between Day/Week/Month/6 Month in sequence
    • W - Schedule and week view - Move between Day/Week/Month/6 Month in sequence
    • M - Schedule and Month view - Move between Day/Week/Month/6 Month in sequence
    • E - Event detail - Switch to edit mode

Phone

• Phone Any key - Call log screen, Call contacts screen - Initaites search.
    • Return/Enter - KeyPad screen - calls the number
    • Number keys - KeyPad screen - inputs digits
    • Enter/Return - Contacts search - Call top search result
    • Backspace - KeyPad screen -Clear
    • Numeric Keys - In Call screen - DTMF Tone
    • Enter/Return - In Call screen - Send MMI Command (in call keypad)
    • H - In Call screen - Place call on hold
    • $ - In Call screen - Toggle speakerphone

File Manager

• T - Nothing focused - Top
    • B - Nothing focused - Bottom
    • S - Nothing focused - Search

Home Screen

• Any key - Search/Type'N'Go

BlackBerry Hub

• T - global, no focus - Jump to Screen Top
    • B - global, no focus - Jump to Screen Bottom
    • C - global, no focus - Create New Email
    • S - global, no focus Search, Find
    • R - global, no focus - Reply
    • L - global, no focus - Reply All
    • F - global, no focus - Forward
    • Backspace - Control has focus - Delete selected text or items, or revert auto-correct
    • N - Message preview - Next message
    • P - Message preview - Previous message
    • W - Message preview - Flag for follow-up

BlackBerry Messenger & Groups

• T - Any scrollable screen - Jump to top
    • B - Any scrollable screen - Jump to bottom
    • Space - Any scrollable screen - Scroll down one screen length
    • Shift + Space - Any scrollable screen - Scroll up one screen length
    • N - Contacts Tab - Next section header
    • P - Contacts Tab - Previous section header
    • S - Contacts Tab - Invoke Search
    • Alt + Enter - Reply field - Insert carriage return
    • Enter - Text field - Send message
    • Long-press Enter - Screens with multiple input fields - Move focus to the next control
    • C - Edit status/ Select category sheet - Create New
    • R - Chat View/ Picture + List Comment - Move focus to reply field/ Comment field
    • I - Viewing a picture - Zoom in
    • O - Viewing a picture - Zoop out
    • E - User profile - Quick access to edit personal message

SMS / MMS

• T -In chat - Scroll to top of page
    • B - In chat - Scroll to bottom of page
    • R - Message list view - Reply to message
    • C - Any screen - Compose message

BlackBerry World

• T - Any List View - Jump to Top of view
    • B - Any List View - Jump to Bottom of view
    • N - Any List View - Jump to Next Section Header Below
    • P - Any List View - Jump to Previous Section Header Above
    • Space - Any List View - Scroll one screen length down
    • Shift+Space - Any List View - Scroll one screen length up
    • S - Any view - Search

BlackBerry Remember

• T - Nothing focused - Jump to top of screen
    • B - Nothing focused - Jump to bottom of screen
    • C - Nothing focused - Create new entry
    • Delete - Focused item - Delete selected item

Word To Go Card

• A - Nothing focused- Select all
    • T - Nothing focused - Top
    • B - Nothing focused - Bottom
    • Space - Nothing focused - Scroll down one screen length
    • Shift + Space - Nothing focused - Scroll up one screen length
    • I (+) - Nothing focused - Zoom in
    • O (-) - Nothing focused - Zoom out
    • W - Nothing focused - Original size

Sheets To Go App

• T - Nothing focused -Top
    • B - Nothing focused - Bottom (farthest down user-edited cell on that tab)
    • S - Nothing focused - Find
    • U - Nothing focused - Undo
    • N - Nothing focused - Next tab
    • P - Nothing focused - Previous tab

Sheets To Go Card

• S - Nothing focused - Find
    • U - Nothing focused - Undo
    • N - Nothing focused - Next tab
    • P - Nothing focused - Previous tab

Print To Go

• S - Nothing focused - Search
    • Space - Any scrollable screen - Scroll down one screen length
    • Shift + Space - Any scrollable screen - Scroll up one screen length

Instant Action

• BBM (name) - Begin a BlackBerry Messenger message to a specific contact
    • email (name) - Begin an e-mail to a specific contact
    • call (name) - Begin a phone call with a specific contact
    • text (name) - Begin an SMS text message with a specific contact
    • Facebook (status message) - Update Facebook status
    • Twitter (message) - Post a tweet
    • LinkedIn (message) - Update LinkedIn status
    08-16-13 05:48 PM
    I'm sorry you have got me wrong here. Many thanks for the reply go1ndr, but honestly I know most of these that I care to - I apologise for not making myself clearer - I mean the speed dialling short cuts from the home screen, not these.
    I'm referring specifically to the way you could assign a key to a caller on the home page in BBOS. On my Bold 9900 I could press down and hold any letter key and it would act as a speed dial - e.g. my Dad was 'D' etc. I also used to like the speed dial noise.......

In the q10 this does not work. you can assign letter keys, for speed dials, but first you need to open the phone app, and many say open the dialer pane too. I gave up and started the more longwinded method of typing 'call dad'.
    08-16-13 05:55 PM
    Ah, my misunderstanding! Oh well, maybe the list can help others. I meant to give the credit for that list to CB and I am sorry that I do not remember who the autthor was. I will post the link as well if any one needs it, once I find it again. As for your actual questions--(sorry again), I saw some info and shortcuts for that somewhere on here and will do some searching for you. In the mean time, perhaps someone can enlighten us all as to how to do it. Actaully, I thought it was a carrier specific issue and command. Let me do some digging around for you. Happy to do it.
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    08-16-13 06:02 PM
    very kind of you go1ndr, and thank you, but honestly don't go to too much trouble on my behalf please - its pretty well understood shortcoming of the OS currently. I feel fairly safe in saying you can't do it right now. All I'm hoping is when 10.2 is released this is one feature that makes it in for the q10 series phones that hasn't been seen in the current leaks. If not I fear a longer wait will ensue......
    08-16-13 06:09 PM
    Purpose of Android runtime is to slowly fill the app gap a little bit and to pull the devs into blackberry ecosystem.

Once blackberry gets back the popularity, they may remove the Android run time.

Yes, it feels bad for some reason because it's blackberry running android. But what will you do if you know you're going to be having issues with apps in your new os?

BlackBerry already made and did port-a-thon event and paid devs who brought apps to blackberry world but still blackberry is struggling. BlackBerry is doing some native app promotion too.

Posted via CB10
    Devs who use the RunTime simply do so to make a quick buck-not ouf any love for the ecosystem. The more jarring apps there are in the market place, the worse overall experience would be. Case in Point-Kindle, Kobo. Skype.
    bekkay likes this.
    08-17-13 07:09 AM
    Don't think so! A lot of devs don't make a dime on these apps and do so because they want to share what they have built. If they do make money, more power to them as they deserve it! That's what being in business is all about! Making a profit! No Dev's equals no apps! Thank you devs!
    Run time is here to stay, thankfully! It works perfectly with 10.2/810 and I love it!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 11:36 AM
    Frankly what does if matter? Slowly all operating systems are copying each other BB10 and Playbook have features of webos and Windows 8, iOS blatantly copied BB10, BB10 has Android far from perfect but we getting there and soon BBM will be cross platform!

Point I'm trying to make is that, if it really grinds your gears that BB10 has the Android player get another phone, makes no difference - soon they will be one and the same! (except Apple will claim that they patented all of the above lol)

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 12:41 PM
    It's a necessary evil, better than an empty app store

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 02:40 AM
    I agree think that they need to slowly phase it out somehow and promote native dev. I have been against it from the start pretty much.
    Imagine how much more RAM efficient BB10 would be if they actually phased it out.
    08-18-13 02:50 AM
    I am not referring to the Average consumer sideloading apps. I'm referring to them downloading an app from the store and suddenly being kicked from 2013 BB10 era to Android Gingerbread. They won't care about ports, all they'll see is a bad app that is poorly designed. The more ports they get, the more their disillusionment, and then boom. 2.7% market share and shrinking...oh wait.
    I see what you're saying and I agree. And, it's still bad implementation on the part of Blackberry management. Why release a new phone with claims that it can run Android apps but it comes out with an old version of the Android runtime and their old apps? Blackberry continues to shoot themselves in the foot at every turn.
    08-18-13 04:12 AM
    Good point. Luckily I haven't run into that yet. But certainly good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Posted via my bad azzzz "Z"
    08-18-13 11:00 AM
    I don t agree at all with op. The runtime on 10.2.0.1047 and higher is super fast and makes the apps smooth as they were native on Android devices. It could be the only ways to truly close the app gap quickly.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 11:58 AM
    I don't think it's a bad idea actually. This is a multi marketing approach for Android developers to at least give them the minimum amount of work to convert their apps over to BB10. You would hope that they consider developing natively if they feel there is good ROI and the dev tools are easy to work with.

On the other side, you have interested and more advanced users that want to tinker around in adding more to their phones that they can't wait on developers to do for them.

We are still working in a pro proprietary app ecosystem world and if people want their Instagrams and Candy Crush Saga too with BB10, then give it to them.

I will say that BlackBerry needs to develop more of their in house apps. Like where is the Playbook app, Scrapbook, developed by TAT?? Everyone I've shown this app to, wants to know if they can have it on their iOS or Android devices. So more in house apps to get other developers seeing what BB10 and their dev tools can do.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 12:15 PM
    Buy an iPhone, you get apps designed for ios with a smooth and responsive operative system.
    Buy an android(Nexus/Google Play edition/S4/HTC one) You get a powerhouse phone which is smooth with great specs and apps designed for android.
    Get a Windows Phone, smooth and responsive OS, Beautiful design, 41mp camera.
    Get a BB10, some apps designed for you, some apps designed for android ginger bread, mid range specs, weird UI.
    Guess which one gets picked last.
    08-18-13 12:27 PM
    I have an iPhone (and have tested the latest iOS devices) and the apps I use on this are no different from apps on any platform. iOS smooth and responsive? The specs don't support that one IMO. Screen keyboard probably the worst of the bunch.

I have a S3 (and extensively tested the latest Android devices) and the apps I use on this are no different from apps on any platform. Android smooth and responsive? Depending on the device, I still find it sluggish and messy. Stock screen keyboard is an absolute mess unless you put the latest Swype on it.

Windows phone. Eyesore user interface. I don't take enough pictures to care about the 41mp camera. I can't wait till 60mp comes out though.

BB10. Best UI (more efficient navigating and going in between apps than the ones above), screen keyboard and despite specs not the latest and greatest, still manages to run things more smooth than all the ones listed above. Oh it can take HD photos and videos as well as play games well.

Guess which one I picked.

Buy an iPhone, you get apps designed for ios with a smooth and responsive operative system.
    Buy an android(Nexus/Google Play edition/S4/HTC one) You get a powerhouse phone which is smooth with great specs and apps designed for android.
    Get a Windows Phone, smooth and responsive OS, Beautiful design, 41mp camera.
    Get a BB10, some apps designed for you, some apps designed for android ginger bread, mid range specs, weird UI.
    Guess which one gets picked last.
    08-18-13 01:02 PM
    I admit: I liked the idea initially. Fantastic solution on paper... but the implementation had been somewhat lacking. Having seen it in practice, I think the runtime hurts BB10 way more than it helps.

The process is clunky, and I find it hilariously ironic that BBRY tacitly encourages sideloading while condemning users for doing it. That tells me ask I really need to know: BBRY (rightly so) refers to people who are struggling to make the ecosystem useable via sideloading as pirates.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I didn't think this way myself initially, but native development would have been preferable to this morass in the long run, IMHO. It would have been harder to build, but something is going to have to give at some point, and I suspect BB users will be left holding the bag.
    08-18-13 01:46 PM
    I could care less at least I will have the app. I really don't use too many of the so called major apps to me not having Netflix is not a deal breaker

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:02 AM
46 12