I think BlackBerry should make the bb10 os open source. It will open new markets for bb10 and the os penetration will skyrocket. If the OS can run so good on the BlackBerry Z10 specs, it can sure run just fine on the steroid boosted handsets of Samsung and others and will give android a run for its money. This done, and BlackBerry will reach sky high as gar as the users are concerned, and knowing that the os is so smooth and works so well, ppl who use it are bound to get hooked to it. Also it will solve the BlackBerry problem of a meagre app system. Developers on seeing that this os is being used on so many phones and by so many users, will then definitely start making apps for this OS seriously.

Posted via CB10
    ddddafadf likes this.
    09-21-13 08:54 AM
    If BBRYdies, like Palm. I would gladly follow (WebOS style). Could it work?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:28 PM
    It's a nice idea, I too would be happy to keep on trucking with BlackBerry 10 without blackberry support if it was open source. However, if they were to do that then there would be no security benefit over the other platforms

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    DJM626 likes this.
    09-21-13 01:39 PM
    Actually I meant BlackBerry lives and the os goes open source. Anyways, there must be some way that BlackBerry can do it and maintain the security aspect of the os. I don't know the nitty gritties, but even if the os goes open source, the data will still flow thru BlackBerry servers and they can have a good check on the app store like apple is doing and the security can be maintained.

Also the os is so sheer smooth, it will run like a dream on phones like s4.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:48 PM
    I too don't know the nitty gritties but it hasn't been a secret that they tried to licence it. A Samsung gs5 running BlackBerry 10 is possible but not likely to happen

09-21-13 02:24 PM
    If anyone wanted it then it would be a good idea
    09-21-13 05:06 PM
    If anyone wanted it then it would be a good idea
    Sorry what do you mean?

09-21-13 05:13 PM
    Sorry what do you mean?

What I mean is that dismal sales of bb10 devices means that not many people want the product.
    09-21-13 05:34 PM
    Oh I see, yes.
    I enjoy it, as does my so. It's a shame that it didn't gain the traction that blackberry was counting on.
    I'm still going to rock my Z until I break it or it dies.

09-21-13 06:43 PM
    So many ppl don't want the product cos it's BlackBerry and BlackBerry already has a bad name. But this os, say installed on Samsung phone, will sell many more pcs, as now ppl trust Samsung to make a good phone. Once it is in the hand of users who normally would not buy a BlackBerry phone, hopefully after using this os they will see how perfectly smooth and easy to operate it is. After that BlackBerry can start marketing their own devices like phones made by BlackBerry for the BlackBerry 10 os or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 08:19 PM
    Yes , I recall WebOS making a stunning comeback after HP released the source code in 2011

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    09-22-13 10:31 AM
    The point is not a comeback, that's foolish. It's to keep the experience for the fans...

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 11:26 AM
    It is absolutely not necessary that if web os could not do it, then no one can. BlackBerry 10 is a pretty refined os, far better than android IMO and a different experience altogether. What matters is how to put it in the maximum peoples' hands. Since the sale of their handsets is not good at all, the only way to do it is to rope in other manufacturers and put the os in their phones. It also might help the other manufacturers of handsets increase their profit margin as we clearly know that BlackBerry 10 OS does not require 4 or 8 cores to run smoothly. And again, if this happens, then the apps are bound to come. So it might be a win win situation for all.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 11:34 AM
    Open source would be a dead-end because there's nothing really that special about BB10. Would you really still want to use it if 95% of the users disappeared over the next 18 months? It's hard to imagine what kind of niche hardware developer would choose open source BB 10 over android.
    09-22-13 11:36 AM
    What's different is the usability. I have used android, and I like this better. This os is seamless. This os requires a lot less heavy specs to run properly and smoothly than android. I think these points coupled with afew good phones by popular hardware manufacturers may turn the tide.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:05 PM
    Let say Blackberry OS goes open source, lets look at the major players.

Intel and Samsung were working together on their own Android alternative, Tizen. I do not see any motivation for Samsung to go from Android, to Tizen to Blackberry. Especially were rumors are around that with the overwhelming success Android, Samsung has an issue with divorcing themselves from the system and going to Tizen which they invested into.

LG makes the Nexus phones, maybe they will be willing build their own Blackberry tablet/phone.
    Motorola will never touch Blackberry OS.
    HTC is having financial problems, going to Blackberry OS would cost them funds and resources that they probably don't have to spare.
    Sony not so sure about.
    Nokia will never sell a non Microsoft os smartphone again.

So I wonder if Blackberry's real hope is that a manufacturer in China or India makes handsets to survive. I just don't see that happening.
    09-22-13 12:22 PM
    If BB10 went open source all governments and fortune 500 companies would dump it and BB would die. Count me out.
    09-22-13 12:26 PM
    What's different is the usability. I have used android, and I like this better. This os is seamless. This os requires a lot less heavy specs to run properly and smoothly than android. I think these points coupled with afew good phones by popular hardware manufacturers may turn the tide.
    Posted via CB10

I agree completely with your point of view, about going open source for BB10. I would like to add this, going open source does not mean abandoning BB10. On the contrary it's an enhancement and a way of projecting and showing confidence and giving choices to BB10 users.
    Like what Google has done, with it's Open source android OS. Blacker Berry as an entity will prosper in the long run like wise and will keep the controls over BB World market as Google did and it will keep it's own built by BlackBerry devices, with all their security enhancement, systems, for business and consumers, as well as keeping other related unique services.
    09-22-13 12:32 PM
    Bb10 is based on QnX. Wouldn't mean that QnX would also go open source?

If the answer is yes, than I truly doubt that would be a path.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:33 PM
    What's different is the usability. I have used android, and I like this better. This os is seamless. This os requires a lot less heavy specs to run properly and smoothly than android.
    You hear that a lot around here. But, just here. It's CrackBerry mythos. With all discussion about BlackBerry being sold for parts. I don't see BB10 listed as a potential asset. Even the completely unproven cross-platform BBM is considered to be worth more.

Also, when webOS went open-source HP had to take a year to rewrite the parts of the OS that they licensed but did not own and therefore could not release as part of open-source OS. It ended up being a waste of time.
    09-22-13 12:37 PM
    If BB10 went open source all governments and fortune 500 companies would dump it and BB would die. Count me out.
    Goodbye security.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:38 PM
    That's an excellent idea!
    09-22-13 12:52 PM
    Bad idea. It will be nowhere, just like webos.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 01:02 PM
    Open source would be a dead-end because there's nothing really that special about BB10. Would you really still want to use it if 95% of the users disappeared over the next 18 months? It's hard to imagine what kind of niche hardware developer would choose open source BB 10 over android.
    Honestly I speak only for myself here, but in 18 months if everybody abandons bb10 I'd still be happy being the only user. The browser is great, and the hub is a game changer for me. Far more efficient then a notification that transfers me to a dedicated app. As for the other apps, my bank app is here already, between that and this cb10 app that's pretty well all I wanted. Just a good communication device. Battery is great for me....

BroncoVAL likes this.
    09-22-13 02:50 PM
    Let say Blackberry OS goes open source, lets look at the major players.

Intel and Samsung were working together on their own Android alternative, Tizen. I do not see any motivation for Samsung to go from Android, to Tizen to Blackberry. Especially were rumors are around that with the overwhelming success Android, Samsung has an issue with divorcing themselves from the system and going to Tizen which they invested into.

LG makes the Nexus phones, maybe they will be willing build their own Blackberry tablet/phone.
    Motorola will never touch Blackberry OS.
    HTC is having financial problems, going to Blackberry OS would cost them funds and resources that they probably don't have to spare.
    Sony not so sure about.
    Nokia will never sell a non Microsoft os smartphone again.

So I wonder if Blackberry's real hope is that a manufacturer in China or India makes handsets to survive. I just don't see that happening.
    I can think of two points which can motivate the manufacturers, more options regarding the operating system and better profits as the spec requirements for BlackBerry 10 OS Is less.

Correct me if I am wrong, but BlackBerry is considered to be secure because off their dedicated servers etc and even if the OS goes open source the data will still flow thru these servers only, so how will the security be compromised. Yes they will definitely have to make some changes, but that they will have to do to survive.
    You hear that a lot around here. But, just here. It's CrackBerry mythos. With all discussion about BlackBerry being sold for parts. I don't see BB10 listed as a potential asset. Even the completely unproven cross-platform BBM is considered to be worth more.

Also, when webOS went open-source HP had to take a year to rewrite the parts of the OS that they licensed but did not own and therefore could not release as part of open-source OS. It ended up being a waste of time.
    I respectfully disagree,this is not a cracker mythos, I have been using BlackBerry Z10 from when it was not even launched in my country and I can assure u that this os is far better than the Android. I think ppl often confuse the OS with the availability of the apps and since we all know that apps are not available right now, then the Os must be bad. But let me assure u again that's not the case.
    09-22-13 08:32 PM
31 12