BlackBerry should team up with Microsoft and offer native bing apps. BlackBerry 10 and windows 10 = winberry 20. You can't disagree with my math on this one.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 04:54 PM
    BlackBerry should team up with Microsoft and offer native bing apps. BlackBerry 10 and windows 10 = winberry 20. You can't disagree with my math on this one.

Posted via CB10
    No way, I've had enough of Microsoft when they ruined Nokia's Mobile Division
    igor10000 likes this.
    05-25-15 04:57 PM
    Unfortunatley Yes. It has been for a long time now.
    05-25-15 05:04 PM
    Nope. Using right now... LOL
    cjcampbell likes this.
    05-25-15 06:17 PM
    You are missing some things. The road map had future development before BB10 was released to the public as a device. Developers need to know new features to test and plan for those new features. There are no new features planned. BB10 needs new features to move forward. There is much left to do as technology changes.
    I guess my question would be: what's the point of BlackBerry Blend and why is it being updated to (seemingly) include support for third party apps to plug into the interface? It's BB10 specific and they're going to an awful lot of trouble to make it work on Android and Apple tablets as well as Apple and Windows desktops. That's a big expense for someone like Chen who might be thinking of dumping BB10, no? Seriously, why bother with it for BB10 if they know they're going to shut down the platform anyway?
    igor10000 likes this.
    05-25-15 07:02 PM
    Btw, while there is no native roadmap, Blend is getting apps, and there is no roadmap on that either.
    Read this after I posted, lol.
    05-25-15 07:03 PM
    Well, if it will be "dead", I'm going to want to buy the Classic and the Passport for cheap in the fire sale. Maybe two of each, just in case one breaks. I'll be set for the next 10 years or so. Haha

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 07:10 PM
    Nope. I just checked mine, and it's still alive. Sorry for your loss.
    I was thinking to say the EXSCT same thing earlier this morning but had to rush to work and missed. Good show.

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    05-25-15 07:17 PM
    If Microsoft can do it with Windows 10 (iOS and Android Compatibility on Win10 Computers, Tablets, and Phones), why can't BlackBerry do Android Emulation via Blend? Android Emulators already exist for PC's (BlueStacks), and it's freeware - couldn't be that much trouble or expensive to develop...
    05-25-15 07:19 PM
    If Microsoft can do it with Windows 10 (iOS and Android Compatibility on Win10 Computers, Tablets, and Phones), why can't BlackBerry do Android Emulation via Blend? Android Emulators already exist for PC's (BlueStacks), and it's freeware - couldn't be that much trouble or expensive to develop...
    Windows 10 won't do iOS compatibility, or even Android for that matter as far as I know. Do you mean the ability to easily port an iOS or Android app for Windows 10?

The problem isn't with Android emulation for BlackBerry, it's Google Play Services which is necessary in certain apps. And, of course, you need the developer's permission to host their app on your platform. Netflix, Google Apps, Instagram don't officially support BlackBerry 10 even though most of them work just fine already via Snap or Cobalt's modded apk files.
    05-25-15 07:26 PM
    BlackBerry isn't stopping BB10 development anytime soon, but they're certainly focusing on the enterprise side of things moving forward. Also, I have good reason to believe that two devices launching later this year, will be running full android. The Oslo (which isn't the silver one that pics leaked of about a month ago, that one is actually codenamed Dallas and will launch with 10.3.2.2xxx at the end of June) is another variation of the Passport. It's all black with rounded corners and supposedly running full Android, with the hub, BBM, and probably contacts and calendar apps baked in, and I would think, access to Google Play Services. I believe this could be Chen's new solution to the app gap that he mentioned not too long ago. And the other device would obviously be the slider, therefore making it pretty much an S6 with a slide out keyboard and the hub, and whatever other BlackBerry apps they want to throw in. I personally think it's a great idea, focus on consumers with Android because it's easier and eliminates the app gap altogether, and leave BB10 for those of us that are more security oriented and don't care whether or not they have Snapchat. Of course I can't prove any of this, and I'm only going on information that I've been told, but I guess time will tell.
    Uzi and currentodysseys like this.
    05-25-15 08:33 PM
    BlackBerry isn't stopping BB10 development anytime soon, but they're certainly focusing on the enterprise side of things moving forward. Also, I have good reason to believe that two devices launching later this year, will be running full android. The Oslo (which isn't the silver one that pics leaked of about a month ago, that one is actually codenamed Dallas and will launch with 10.3.2.2xxx at the end of June) is another variation of the Passport. It's all black with rounded corners and supposedly running full Android, with the hub, BBM, and probably contacts and calendar apps baked in, and I would think, access to Google Play Services. I believe this could be Chen's new solution to the app gap that he mentioned not too long ago. And the other device would obviously be the slider, therefore making it pretty much an S6 with a slide out keyboard and the hub, and whatever other BlackBerry apps they want to throw in. I personally think it's a great idea, focus on consumers with Android because it's easier and eliminates the app gap altogether, and leave BB10 for those of us that are more security oriented and don't care whether or not they have Snapchat. Of course I can't prove any of this, and I'm only going on information that I've been told, but I guess time will tell.
    Well if your source is correct that would certainly shut up a lot of people on this forum, lol.

I think a Samsung Slider is a great idea, but only if it's touch capacitive as well with the keyboard shortcuts and actions in addition to The Hub, Quick Settings et al that are highlights of BB10. I'd be interested personally.
    05-25-15 08:43 PM
    So, you heard that BlackBerry will have a full Android device with Google Play Services later this year? That seems like a long-shot due to the terms of Google's OHA. And based on what Chen has said about device releases for 2015, we�ll be lucky to see either device actually launch before the end of the year.

This flight to Android would show even more evidence that BlackBerry is backing away from BB10 in the near term, though.
    Bluenoser63, lmsilvam and Vuneu like this.
    05-25-15 09:09 PM
    So, you heard that BlackBerry will have a full Android device with Google Play Services later this year? That seems like a long-shot due to the terms of Google's OHA. And based on what Chen has said about device releases for 2015, we’ll be lucky to see either device actually launch before the end of the year.

This flight to Android would show even more evidence that BlackBerry is backing away from BB10 in the near term, though.
    Nokia, Asus, Samsung, etc all offer (or offered) handsets on multiple platforms without penalty from Google. BlackBerry could easily make an Android handset *and* a BB10 device with their Android runtime without violating the OHA as far as I'm aware.
    05-25-15 09:18 PM
    Keep in mind that they could fire 500 secs from software business and none of them have any connection to BB10. I imagine there are still folks who were dedicated to BBOS7 and other legacy softwares on the Device management side.

Not sure if no road map means anything. Does Apple issue road maps 7 months in advance?

Posted via CB10
    No, no one does, publicly. The road map is just to help as a forecast for planning, often for things that need long term planning. When this topic keeps coming up, I ask for someone to point me to Apple and Google's and for some reason, there is different expectations from BlackBerry. I think it's partly because a) People saw them when BB10 was first coming out, b) people don't have a clue what road maps are for and have no experience in real life with them.

There is very little to gain by publicizing your road map in the fast pace technology industry unless you have a specific reason to (ie, you are catching up on API releases of functionality and developers are gated by it and need to plan accordingly).

I was provided a road map for Qualcomm last year. While it helped to let me know when to expect new SDK releases and what they are working on (nice to have, not NEED to have), all it really did was have me ***** to our support partner that they have been late on every deadline/target that was in the roadmap.

A public road map from BlackBerry not only tips their hat at what they are working on (losing competitive edge), but also invites ******** about missed targets or features that get dropped either due to resources or technical difficulties during development. I'll repeat, there is very little benefit for BlackBerry to public a road map, publicly.

Everyone needs to stop this lack of road map insanity.
    Uzi, DarkJoker33, bitje and 1 others like this.
    05-25-15 09:18 PM
    Considering that we already know Chen hates leaks, lol.

As long as I've been an Apple user, I can't remember them publicly telegraphing their intentions to the rest of the world too far in advance. That was the whole point of the annual Apple launch, to be surprised!

I guess when it comes to BlackBerry lately, the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon is in play with all the negativity. (It's everywhere, lol).
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    05-25-15 09:24 PM
    So, you heard that BlackBerry will have a full Android device with Google Play Services later this year? That seems like a long-shot due to the terms of Google's OHA. And based on what Chen has said about device releases for 2015, we�ll be lucky to see either device actually launch before the end of the year.

I heard nothing about Services, but I would hope that BlackBerry and Google could figure something out. I agree, they probably won't be out till the end of the year.
    05-25-15 09:24 PM
    I'm just disappointed with the direction they are heading. Maybe the Z10 will be my last BB device!
    05-25-15 09:31 PM
    I'm just disappointed with the direction they are heading. Maybe the Z10 will be my last BB device!
    You're disappointed with what?

BlackBerry Blend where you can park your phone and continue to communicate on your computer or tablet while it's charging (regardless of platform)? The fact that they are trying to grow as a software company and support other platforms? Seriously, what?

Everyone is up in arms over the Leap as if it's the last planned all touch BlackBerry device in favour of keyboard phones. I guess you skipped the Z30 as an upgrade and are waiting for a higher spec'd all touch and don't like the idea of a slider?
    Flatman likes this.
    05-25-15 09:38 PM
    Nope. Using right now... LOL
    Yeah. And I have Windows 2000 on one of my desktops too. Doesn't mean that Windows 2000 is the future. Software and OS's continuously move forward with new features and functions. If you are not moving forward, you are dying. BB10 isn't moving forward except for bug fixes.
    05-25-15 09:46 PM
    I guess my question would be: what's the point of BlackBerry Blend and why is it being updated to (seemingly) include support for third party apps to plug into the interface? It's BB10 specific and they're going to an awful lot of trouble to make it work on Android and Apple tablets as well as Apple and Windows desktops. That's a big expense for someone like Chen who might be thinking of dumping BB10, no? Seriously, why bother with it for BB10 if they know they're going to shut down the platform anyway?
    So where are the public statements that BB10 development tools and features will be advanced. There isn't one.
    05-25-15 09:50 PM
    If your information is correct and the two devices will be full android, then BB10 is dead as BlackBerry cannot release an Android device and another OS at the same time due to restrictions on Android licensing.
    05-25-15 09:53 PM
    So where are the public statements that BB10 development tools and features will be advanced. There isn't one.
    The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Give me a rundown of what's planned for iOS 9 and the roadmap for example. Sure, there's rumours but nothing official. Does that mean that Apple is abandoning iOS?
    LuvULongTime and web99 like this.
    05-25-15 09:55 PM
    If your information is correct and the two devices will be full android, then BB10 is dead as BlackBerry cannot release an Android device and another OS at the same time due to restrictions on Android licensing.
    No.

ATIV Odyssey Windows Phone from Verizon - 4G LTE Smartphone | Samsung
    05-25-15 09:59 PM
    No, no one does, publicly. The road map is just to help as a forecast for planning, often for things that need long term planning. When this topic keeps coming up, I ask for someone to point me to Apple and Google's and for some reason, there is different expectations from BlackBerry. I think it's partly because a) People saw them when BB10 was first coming out, b) people don't have a clue what road maps are for and have no experience in real life with them.

There is very little to gain by publicizing your road map in the fast pace technology industry unless you have a specific reason to (ie, you are catching up on API releases of functionality and developers are gated by it and need to plan accordingly).

I was provided a road map for Qualcomm last year. While it helped to let me know when to expect new SDK releases and what they are working on (nice to have, not NEED to have), all it really did was have me ***** to our support partner that they have been late on every deadline/target that was in the roadmap.

A public road map from BlackBerry not only tips their hat at what they are working on (losing competitive edge), but also invites ******** about missed targets or features that get dropped either due to resources or technical difficulties during development. I'll repeat, there is very little benefit for BlackBerry to public a road map, publicly.

Really? I am running Windows 10 on a laptop and started developing Windows 10 apps for mobile devices on emulators. I guess you don't call that a road map.
    05-25-15 10:00 PM
532 12345 ...