I was hoping the new CEO would change things...

They bought QNX in 2011 and here we are in 2015 still trying to make it work.
    The playbook came with many promises of innovations to come, none were ever realized.
    I'll stop there since I like BB but Chen you need to turn this thing around...
    05-25-15 12:31 PM
    Even though I like my Z10 and the operating system, I don't think I will invest in another BlackBerry device in a year from now. Native app development has slowed significantly over the past months. I hope that BlackBerry will manage to get back by the end of this year.

~.Posted using CB10 on my Z10 running 10.3.1.~
    05-25-15 12:32 PM
    Even though I like my Z10 and the operating system, I don't think I will invest in another BlackBerry device in a year from now. Native app development has slowed significantly over the past months. I hope that BlackBerry will manage to get back by the end of this year.

~.Posted using CB10 on my Z10 running 10.3.1.~
    Slowed significantly, you're pretty generous. Some would have described it as non existent...
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    05-25-15 12:44 PM
    We don't know exactly where the layoffs occurred, and it may be partially due to "regional" distribution: I think having various development teams all over the planet isn't as efficient as centralizing all the development in one campus.

BB10 is really good, and if BlackBerry is serious about bringing the "BB10 experience" to other platforms, they can't do away with "development" altogether, and services for QNX that aren't for mobile handsets still need to be built and supported i.e. if you want to embed QNX in a device, it will need some kind of APIs etc to talk to other devices or hardware and hopefully BB will keep moving that forward.
    05-25-15 12:46 PM
    Btw, while there is no native roadmap, Blend is getting apps, and there is no roadmap on that either.
    05-25-15 12:58 PM
    Reading this thread made me sad
    05-25-15 12:58 PM
    What would be the best alternative for you if BB10 dies soon?
    I think i would give Sailfish a try.
    Android, iOs and WP don't come close to BB10 for me.
    GSM-S likes this.
    05-25-15 01:32 PM
    Reminds me of this...

I wish it wasn't true, but I think it's done, done, done.
    Larry Harper likes this.
    05-25-15 01:33 PM
    What would be the best alternative for you if BB10 dies soon?
    I think i would give Sailfish a try.
    Android, iOs and WP don't come close to BB10 for me.
    I actually am looking very closely at Windows 10. I think that it has a lot of potential as both a desktop and mobile OS.

Not related to the topic but since I am talking about Windows, I think that opposite to BlackBerry, Microsoft is moving up slowly but steady. BlackBerry could learn a few things from Microsoft in terms of everything but then again, two companies are not in the same position.

Sailfish looks like fun too.

-Do you envy my Passport much?-
    KermEd, askarian, Flatman and 1 others like this.
    05-25-15 01:36 PM
    Is it "dead"? No, it is the best mobile OS out there today. Is it suffering from the lack of vision of a former software company CEO out of his element?

Yes.

At the risk of being at odds with the Chen worship around here I think you could CEO by committee this ship better with an experienced amazon online phone salesman, a Telus regional manager, someone who worked at an investment bank, and a dart throwing monkey.

Posted via CB10
    Are you willing to substitute for the dart throwing Monkey? If so I will let Chen know of your acceptance.
    bombastic likes this.
    05-25-15 01:58 PM
    As BB has abandoned the consumer market.. it makes sense for them to drop devs that cater to the consumer and slow down OS development. Chen has already said emphasis will be on business apps... hence the in house hires for business apps.... Seems odd that since BB has said over it may one day revisit the consumer market maybe BB10 for us stragglers may get the attention it deserves... at this point however any updates will be with the business user in mind.... sad but true... but BB as we knew is dead and it is time to mourn the old BB ( consumer ) and move on... and accept our fate....
    Whether it be consumer or enterprise apps, developers still need tools and technologies to develop enterprise applications for businesses. And any enterprise worth it's wait will look and see if the platform is moving forward or stagnant to make a decision to use it. If I see a company with no road map for the future, then it gives the impression the company has no future with our company.
    05-25-15 02:01 PM
    Btw, while there is no native roadmap, Blend is getting apps, and there is no roadmap on that either.
    It is different when you have tools for developers to write applications vs in-house application development. BlackBerry 10 always had a road map for developer functionality and features until six months ago.
    05-25-15 02:04 PM
    Ironically maybe the person who maintains the roadmaps and makes those pretty "arrival: on time" graphics got laid off :-(
    05-25-15 02:10 PM
    My BB10 is still alive. so i'm happy.
    eduzojordan likes this.
    05-25-15 02:13 PM
    1. No public roadmap != no internal roadmap. Published roadmap was much more critical when significant API's were yet to be released. With the clamp down on public betas, it makes sense not to publish externally.

2. If updates are still being worked on, it's not "dead". Best case, you can say end of life or in maintenance mode.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 02:19 PM
    Guys, if you feel the end is near, why don�t you just start running around your houses and freak out loud there, instead of spoiling this forum?
    der_mit and eduzojordan like this.
    05-25-15 02:24 PM
    Are you willing to substitute for the dart throwing Monkey? If so I will let Chen know of your acceptance.
    Why am I being replaced???
    05-25-15 02:41 PM
    I hope not, I really enjoy using BB10
    05-25-15 02:42 PM
    Guys, if you feel the end is near, why don�t you just start running around your houses and freak out loud there, instead of spoiling this forum?
    Too much exercise...

I think my Classic will last me at least two years so I'm good for now...
    05-25-15 02:43 PM
    I've read one or two posts suggesting that they've finished making a great OS and implying it doesn't need further updates. This is completely wrong. If you ever achieve mainstream success, you invest more to ensure you stay there. The problem blackberry had last time is that they didn't evolve, their competition caught up and quickly passed them. If, and it's a big if, Blackberry think BB10 is good enough and it doesn't need any more improvements then you might as well all just get windows/ iphone/ android devices because they'll quickly go bust.

It is interesting reading about people touching on the marketing side. I don't think blackberry has ever been marketed well here in the UK. Few people have blackberries and despite the potential of the device, you still see people use iPhones and Samsung's (android). I feel Blackberry could do a lot more. More TV adverts. More online adverts. BBM is a prime example. Like it was such a big thing that they were making it cross platform and literally no one uses it, people still use Skype. They need to push it, really sell how its more secure, less bloated or whatever, just sell it better than what they have done.

As a final note, I saw an article on Neowin suggesting rumors that Blackberry is up for sale and Microsoft is in the mix. I then remembered how my poor old Playbook didn't even support Skype, how this "roadmap" hasn't been updated and I am left to wonder why Blackberry just goes through phases where it offers little communication - though admittedly I don't keep up with their news so perhaps I'm off the mark here.
    05-25-15 02:49 PM
    OS development focus is definitely on pause. I do understand from a Chen perspective why this is so. He cut down R/D and employee count drastically and outsourced the rest to keep overall expenses down and the stock from swirling the toilet bowl. Major development is done for BES12 and now its a waiting game for the next few quarters to see if the potential cash cow has any milk. If it doesn't pan out BB will be sending out the feelers to sell the company again. Until BES12 starts sending hundreds of millions of revenue back to BB, the limited software resources will be devoted to bringing cross-platform compatibility to BB services, aka HUB to Android/IOS.
    05-25-15 02:56 PM
    Until BES12 starts sending hundreds of millions of revenue back to BB, the limited software resources will be devoted to bringing cross-platform compatibility to BB services, aka HUB to Android/IOS.
    It seems companies are content with VPN mixed with active sync and chose to no longer have BES. Very few companies have the extra cash to pay for their per client service...
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    05-25-15 03:00 PM
    Why am I being replaced???
    You joker you.....
    Kurdis Blough likes this.
    05-25-15 03:04 PM
    Chen has been very clear about two things: BlackBerry is returning to its corporate roots to regroup; they are working to make the handset business profitable as the most secure option for corporate customers. If either of these two things fail, then BB10 will indeed die. But for the latter to succeed BB10 must continue, unless you still believe that "Secure Android" is not only possible, but commercially viable.

It would make sense then, that the development environment would look much more like it did when RIM was focused on corporate customers and development than at the launch of BB10 when the were trying to attract the consumer market. BlackBerry has realized that they can't compete in the consumer market. BlackBerry sells security, reliability and stability. Apple sells emotion and lifestyle. Android a disposable gadget with a new gimmick when you grow board with the old one. The only reason BlackBerrys were ever a commercial success is because there was at the time no alternative, until the iPhone.

As someone who has been developing for the BlackBerry platform since BBOS 4, and watched corporate customers sit on their BBOS fleet and BES 5 servers while they watched BlackBerry thrash about chasing the fickle consumer dollars , and waited for them to die; I'm actually looking forward to some stability and predictability.

As for development of the OS, I expect it will continue much as the development of BBOS did. New API features will be added when there is a business case for them, in the corporate model, and they can be added without reducing the security of the existing platform. I can still get responses from developer support if I submit professional quality bug reports, or feature requests. If others are seeing a reduced engagement in the more populist channels, that is probably just a reflection of the resources available.

The landscape is definitely changing. The change is not going to be good for all developers, nor is it going to be sunshine and roses for BlackBerry. If you don't see a future as a developer on BB10, then you should follow BlackBerry's advice and learn Android, if it is not already too late. A lot of comments have been along the lines of technology companies needing to change to survive. That is true, but no one ever said the change is going to be the way you want it to be.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    05-25-15 03:55 PM
    Keep in mind that they could fire 500 secs from software business and none of them have any connection to BB10. I imagine there are still folks who were dedicated to BBOS7 and other legacy softwares on the Device management side.

Not sure if no road map means anything. Does Apple issue road maps 7 months in advance?

Posted via CB10
    bitje likes this.
    05-25-15 04:20 PM
532 1234 ...