Qt5 won't be supported by Blackberry (10), Qt 4.8 will be EOL by end of 2015

https://wiki.qt.io/Qt5_on_Blackberry10
    Qt5 Binary overlay : qtlab.blackberry.com didnt an... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    [Development] Marking BB10 unsupported
    Qt 4.8.x Support to be Extended for Another Year - Qt Blog

No future support for BB10 native app development is another sign for a switch to Android in the near future.
    05-28-15 02:56 AM

Qt5 Binary overlay : qtlab.blackberry.com didnt an... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

No future support for BB10 native app development is another sign for a switch to Android in the near future.
    To be fair all they really said is that BlackBerry said they don't have plans right now to support QT5 and the QT5 maintainers said they will make no special effort to support QT5 on BB10. Doesn't mean that BlackBerry can't turn around and suddenly change their stance.

However I do believe they won't. Unfortunately I can see BB10 dying. It may or may not but it's easy to see why it would die.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 03:03 AM
    Seriously, you should have a career as an an investigative reporter or a conspiracy theorist... do you always read between the lines?? Give it a break already...whether it happens or not, it is what it is man and what will be will be!! Deal with it...and guess what, the sun still rises in the east the day after whatever happens. I truly admire your passion for BlackBerry, but at the end of the day it's nothing more than a business and so long as it's viable and gets airplay, it will exist. I too took everything so personally once upon a time, buts let's face it, the people at the top don't seem to give a rats arse.

Posted from my Kick@ss AT&T Passport.
    Reading between the lines is what separates him from the others.

I'm wondering, did you read his post or just merely skim through it? He makes some valid points.

Inform yourself with this short video about "Blackberry's experience suite" software, coming to other mobile OS's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=88&v=25_N4uRmtf4

Along with this recent video of John Chen at the KW Chamber of Commerce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=35&v=EdnGXRmziYU

There is no farce, there are enough implications in this video to suggest that Blackberry is heading another direction.

I'm afraid for the future of Blackberry's handsets, however if the Hub and any other features are going to be on Android/iOS, then I'm all glad for it.

Finally, I can have the battery life I solely require, with any phone I desire. With the security of Blackberry.
    05-28-15 03:11 AM
    My impression is they try to sell zombie phones.

On one hand they just released the Leap and announced the Slider, insisting they must stay in business because BB 10 devices are still the most secure phones on BES.
    At the same time they kill BB 10.

What you get in the end is a zombie phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 05:03 AM
    I think BlackBerry is exiting the consumer market and only focusing the business side.
    Do not enterprises need development tools to create enterprise applications? That is what I am talking about.
    05-28-15 05:12 AM

This is more proof that BlackBerry has no future plans for BB10. If they did, they would be working on Qt5. The fact that BlackBerry severed ties with Qt means that BlackBerry has stopped development of BB10.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-28-15 05:15 AM
    Incomparable. No one knows for sure but the chance of BB10 abandonment by BlackBerry is simply much much higher than say iOS by Apple don't you think? One is modestly successful at best for which its existence the CEO seems to be reluctant to acknowledge. One is so successful that it is propping its maker to be one of the most valuable companies on planet earth.

Posted via CB10
    Well, sure, the likelihood is greater for BlackBerry given their position in hardware vs Apple. So yes, I agree with you there.

We're all speculating though in any event in the absence of an announcement. Chen has repeatedly stated that the advantage to remaining in hardware despite poor performance is that allows BlackBerry to offer the most secure end to end solution and that he can't make Android, iOS or Windows Phone as secure as a BlackBerry device.

I think part of that is because there's proprietary hardware added to BB phones. Now, whether or not they could add that same proprietary hardware to an Android phone (one that BlackBerry makes)? I don't know, presumably they could but I'm speaking way above my pay grade here.
    Last edited by Reaney; 05-28-15 at 06:23 AM.
    jke76 likes this.
    05-28-15 06:10 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't exist to a lot of people and BlackBerry has to tell people that they are here and have a road forward.

The average Joe isn't interested in road maps, they just need to see that phones are available when they are looking to buy one.
    Simply put, the average consumer isn't a blogger nor are they interested in blogs/forums, therefore "road maps" are irrelevant to them.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    05-28-15 06:56 AM
    B.B. King is dead. That makes me sad.

BB 10 is alive, until BlackBerry says it isn't. People will spin anything any way they like. Thus far Chen has done what he said he set out to do, so I'm not going to call him a liar until he makes himself one.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    05-28-15 07:27 AM
    Just adding they abandoned QT5 development. Which, interestingly, is the backbone for Cascades and the only way for them to upgrade Cascades to have graph and chart support.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    I'm not a programmer, but sure wish I knew what the last statement means....graph and chart support??

05-28-15 07:57 AM
    My impression is they try to sell zombie phones.

On one hand they just released the Leap and announced the Slider, insisting they must stay in business because BB 10 devices are still the most secure phones on BES.
    At the same time they kill BB 10.

What you get in the end is a zombie phone.

Posted via CB10
    Funny, sad and true... all at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 08:22 AM
    I'm not a programmer, but sure wish I knew what the last statement means....graph and chart support??

Using the current native tool Cascades, there is no way to add charts and graphs to applications. There are workarounds, but they are less than ideal and a lot of work and they don't perform well. (lag). Since BlackBerry says that they are focused on the Enterprise, you would think that most Enterprises want graphs and charts in their applications. Qt5 has graphing and charting support and since we know that BlackBerry has abandoned any future upgrades of Qt (Cascades), then there will be no new features like graphs and charts. So they have stopped development of the native BlackBerry app tools and are in a zombie state for developers. Enterprises do their homework and can see that native application development is fixed in the features that are currently there. If they need more, they need to move to another platform.
    KermEd, ljfong and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-28-15 08:29 AM
    05-28-15 08:48 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58a.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	354895
    Says the ostrich..

Is BB10 Dead?-head-sand.gif
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-28-15 08:53 AM
    Using the current native tool Cascades, there is no way to add charts and graphs to applications. There are workarounds, but they are less than ideal and a lot of work and they don't perform well. (lag). Since BlackBerry says that they are focused on the Enterprise, you would think that most Enterprises want graphs and charts in their applications. Qt5 has graphing and charting support and since we know that BlackBerry has abandoned any future upgrades of Qt (Cascades), then there will be no new features like graphs and charts. So they have stopped development of the native BlackBerry app tools and are in a zombie state for developers. Enterprises do their homework and can see that native application development is fixed in the features that are currently there. If they need more, they need to move to another platform.
    Thanks for this explanation, much appreciated !!

05-28-15 09:06 AM

Yeah QT5 and it's QML library supports charts and graphs that are quite attractive. So a developer could easily put a nice chart in an enterprise application like to show uptime or sales data.

05-28-15 09:18 AM
    You can't mix Qt Quick Visual Components with Cascades anyway, I'm sure they could create a Cascades solution if they wanted to
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 05-28-15 at 10:44 AM.
    05-28-15 09:21 AM
    You can't mix Qt Quick Visual Components with Cascades anyway, I'm sure they could create a Cascades solution if they wanted ti
    Yeah, I imagine that's what they would have done. Is created a cascades equivalent as they did with the rest of it.

That said though they pulled all their qt5 repos and websites dedicated last I checked so it won't happen anytime soon.

But who knows, maybe all the decommissioning and shutting down of dev programs and firing of people and disabling dev systems/apis and no longer updating public development fronts adds up to nothing.

05-28-15 10:26 AM
    But who knows, maybe all the decommissioning and shutting down of dev programs and firing of people and disabling dev systems/apis and no longer updating public development fronts adds up to nothing.
    Hard to believe that people don't see this as a problem.
    KermEd and LuvULongTime like this.
    05-28-15 03:16 PM

And the word of the day in honour of KermEd is Proslepsis.

You make a compelling argument that something is definitely afoot and it doesn't look good. And yet I can't wrap my head around why they put so much effort into carrier relations for the Leap and Classic; are releasing the Slider which will likely be a low profit margin device; are actively working on Blend Beta 1.2 (for BB10) - I even got an email today thanking me for my beta survey feedback; Chen's declaration that he will make handsets profitable; and his repeated statements that only through BlackBerry (I assume he means BB10 to BES 12, Secusmart, etc) as an end to end solution can he give the strongest security?

You're a developer (thank you for the Flash browser by the way, love it!), do you think BlackBerry can switch to Android and put in their proprietary hardware signing to make it as secure as a BB10 device (and un-rootable)? I'm not a programmer, I don't even program my coffee maker, lol. Just curious to hear your perspective. Here's the security document from BlackBerry that I'm referring to:

How BlackBerry Security Begins At The Endpoints | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    05-28-15 03:44 PM
    Caught a picture of a celebrity with a new BB prototype.....

Attachment 354643
    Would you believe...........I was much younger then? A paratek antenna would have helped big time in the cone of silence.
    05-28-15 06:27 PM
    Everything is be-you-tee-full!
    05-28-15 06:49 PM
    And the word of the day in honour of KermEd is Proslepsis.

You make a compelling argument that something is definitely afoot and it doesn't look good. And yet I can't wrap my head around why they put so much effort into carrier relations for the Leap and Classic; are releasing the Slider which will likely be a low profit margin device; are actively working on Blend Beta 1.2 (for BB10) - I even got an email today thanking me for my beta survey feedback; Chen's declaration that he will make handsets profitable; and his repeated statements that only through BlackBerry (I assume he means BB10 to BES 12, Secusmart, etc) as an end to end solution can he give the strongest security?

You're a developer (thank you for the Flash browser by the way, love it!), do you think BlackBerry can switch to Android and put in their proprietary hardware signing to make it as secure as a BB10 device (and un-rootable)? I'm not a programmer, I don't even program my coffee maker, lol. Just curious to hear your perspective. Here's the security document from BlackBerry that I'm referring to:

How BlackBerry Security Begins At The Endpoints | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    First off, awesome word! And thanks for the shout out, it's a nice browser to have in a pinch.

It's interesting because I think you are seeing this from a business marketing side and so have a different view of the picture and definitely you have insights I don't. There are just too many things winding down to not be concerned I think, especially when the device sales figures are considered.

I love bbry and more so the users on here. So I'll be here until the end, in fact, I'll probably be the person who submits the final app to BlackBerry World when that day comes

From a development perspective... the majority of the indie dev bbm chats I'm in have become very aware and concerned. A few have started building for other platforms and even leaving which is sad. But there are some awesome core developers still being supportive.

Altogether I'd say they have lost developer momentum. New developers aren't jumping on board, instead, they are slowly losing them now. Numbers wise I'm seeing about only 2 or 3 games being released a week instead of 10 and 20 a day. On a personal level, app sales across all apps have dropped by about 70 percent over the last year - yet I have more bfb apps and games for sale than ever before. Some of that can definitely be caused by the Amazon inclusion though.

So I definitely don't know what the end state is going to be... but I do always hope for the best as for a full android switch out, I don't know how they could lock it down and keep it safe...

anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-28-15 08:03 PM

So I definitely don't know what the end state is going to be... but I do always hope for the best as for a full android switch out, I don't know how they could lock it down and keep it safe...

I don't think that they could.

I've been working with Android at a systems level since it came out, and Linux for even longer. I also had an opportunity to talk to one of the main QNX engineers about the changes BlackBerry made to QNX after they bought the company.

What a lot of people don't realize able QNX is that it is essentially a kit of parts from which you assemble the OS you need. A lot of those parts needed changes to bring them up to BlackBerry standards. But once they were patched any further changes would be done with high security in mind.

One of the nice things about the way the Android runtime works in BB10 is that the QNX kernel handles system calls for BB10 and Android. So the vulnerabilities in the Android kernel are not a concern. If they switched over to a straight Android device they could put the same effort into patching the Android kernel, if they could afford it. But they don't control the Android kernel, so every update would have to be patched again. It was this burden that recently caused Google to fork their own version of OpenSSL. Up until the fork they had a bunch of changes they used to re-apply to new versions of OpenSSL. But that became too complicated and expensive. This is Google vs a small library. Imagine BlackBerry vs the Linux kernel.

I'm sorry to hear about your slumping sales, but BlackBerry really did push the gaming and social potential of BB10 at the beginning. So much so that it probably contributed to get number of corporate clients that are still on BBOS. BlackBerry is now trying to recapture the corporate market and that is going to mean changes. And yes I've heard the argument that a corporate device has to be a personal device too. But it is clear that they intend the Android runtime to provide the personal application echo system. If you developed for BBOS back in the version 4 and 5 days, when the focus was definitely corporate first, the way things are going will look very familiar. If you didn't then I can understand the concern. The demand for my BlackBerry development skills has never been higher, but I've also never sold anything on BlackBerry World. BB10 will end some day, but if you start worrying about that now you'll be unhappy until that happens, however long that might be.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    05-28-15 09:46 PM
    https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...loads/roadmap/

TBD..

And I will wait to see your answer on when the next developer conference is for BlackBerry. Apple and Google have them coming up.
    Also makes sense to wait for Google I/O before finalizing development priorities.

There seems to be two points from you.

1. BlackBerry no longer promoting native development
    2. BlackBerry no longer supporting the OS.

Are you claiming both or just the lack of further development on native development? Not putting effort into QT5 or cascades is much different than killing off the OS, but you are basically saying if 1 is true, 2 MUST be true, which is not a true statement.
    05-28-15 10:05 PM
532 ... 678910 ...