Changing that complacency into fear is not a solution - it will just result in no consumer handset market share at all. [That's Troy you hear applauding in the background.]
    You think that I want BB to fail. I don't, and never did. Just because I can analyze the situation they've put themselves in doesn't mean that I wanted it, or that I ever had even the tiniest bit of control over it. I'm just some dude on the Internet.

I don't use BB myself, though I've supported them in the past, and am quite familiar with them. I desire lots of competition in the market, because competition fuels real innovation and keeps (most) companies from resting on their laurels and keeps them engaged with their customers so that they continue to respond both to new technologies and possibilities AND to their customers' ever-changing needs. BB offers a few things that no other company does as well, at least, not yet. That's good for the market, and ultimately good for me. I'd like BB to be around, competing and raising the stakes for the competition for years to come.

But I can also recognize the truth of BB's situation, and it isn't good. Mike and Jim spent YEARS making poor decision after poor decision, and built a corporate culture of arrogance and "my way or the highway", and that's why BB is where they are today. All blame for that, and the resulting fallout, goes to BB. I'm just reporting and analyzing after-the-fact.

So many discussions here quickly devolve into fanboy fantasies, and I try to keep things grounded with facts, because you can't solve a problem if you don't even know what the real problem is, or have the full picture of the situation. Dreams are great, but dreams alone aren't going to solve the very real, time-sensitive issues that BB has before it. The only things that have a chance of succeeding are smart decisions and, occasionally, taking some CALCULATED risks.

BB has determined that advertising the Android Runtime isn't a risk worth taking. They've presumably looked at the legal issues as well as the further risk to the brand image, and decided to keep this a developer feature, one that power users are free to exploit, but without any official support. You can disagree with that all you like (that's your prerogative), and I've given some opinions on why BB likely came to the conclusions they did, but your argument isn't with me, it's with BB. BB doesn't consult with me before they make decisions. If they did, I promise you that I'd be living a little higher up on the ladder than I am at present. LOL.
    02-13-14 02:29 PM
    Troy, I do believe you when you claim that BB doesn't consult you. I do hope that continues.

They don't consult me either. You probably hope that continues. I am just offering a scenario for an advertising campaign. They don't have to accept it, or they can take parts of it if they like. I'm not holding a gun to anybody's head. I'm just offering a set of ideas to chew on.

I don't know the legal implications. Obviously, you don't either. I'll leave that for the lawyers - why can't you? I created the thread to discuss some promotional ideas. Unfortunately, it has been derailed into an argument about the app gap. I think you see that as mission-accomplished.
    02-13-14 05:46 PM
    Is BlackBerry going to advertise and tell people that they can install Amazon? Amazon has stated you are free to use but they won't support it, so is BlackBerry going to start troubleshooting issues. Still a lot of logistical issues that the average consumer likely wouldn't deal with when other solutions are simpler and integrated, or look to Crackberry to figure out work arounds. BlackBerry needs to address these issues, make the solution more integrated and supported, and when all that happens then we can say the app gap is gone.

Posted via CB10
    It would be nice if it were more integrated, but I think 99 percent of people can handle a Google search and loading the amazon app. If they can't, they are probably only using Facebook or apps that come with the phone anyway.

Only time will tell if the consumer accepts that the app gap is gone. I now have all the apps I need or care about with minimal effort.

I think blackberry did what they could for now to stop the bleeding and I hope it's enough. It sounds like you are hoping for a different result.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tmf06; 02-13-14 at 07:01 PM.
    02-13-14 06:35 PM
    I think blackberry did what they could for now to stop the bleeding and I hope it's enough. It sounds like you are hoping for a different result.

Posted via CB10
    Not at all. I want BlackBerry to put an effort into selling devices. The current build them and don't advertise them method clearly isn't working. I see great potential, but I also saw that with my PlayBook, and BlackBerry never did what was needed to make it successful and I fear that they will do the same with Bb10.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 07:21 PM
    Not at all. I want BlackBerry to put an effort into selling devices. The current build them and don't advertise them method clearly isn't working. I see great potential, but I also saw that with my PlayBook, and BlackBerry never did what was needed to make it successful and I fear that they will do the same with Bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Well I can't disagree with anything in that statement

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 07:53 PM
    Well I can't disagree with anything in that statement

Posted via CB10
    At least they are still improving the BB10 phones. 10.2.1 is a great OS. They could probably move a lot more inventory of they would tell people about it.

Posted via CB10
    Axacta likes this.
    02-14-14 06:49 AM
    Is BlackBerry going to advertise and tell people that they can install Amazon?
    A better idea, IMO, is simply to strike a deal with Amazon to bundle the Amazon store and have it pre-loaded. My mother will never, ever, ever sideload Android apps onto her phone, but would trust the Amazon store for "apps" if it was on her Z10.

The Amazon store isn't the same as Google Play for sure, but it does bring a trusted name as well as some of the missing apps like Netflix
    02-14-14 06:57 AM
    A better idea, IMO, is simply to strike a deal with Amazon to bundle the Amazon store and have it pre-loaded. My mother will never, ever, ever sideload Android apps onto her phone, but would trust the Amazon store for "apps" if it was on her Z10.

The Amazon store isn't the same as Google Play for sure, but it does bring a trusted name as well as some of the missing apps like Netflix
    Personally I think striking a deal with Google for Play Store access would be the best. I've heard that Amazon doesn't have everything, and also remember it is a forked version of Android. SNAP is working great right now for me, and the Play Store knows I'm using a Z10. I would think Google would want to support a smaller third party like BlackBerry to keep Apple from getting the sale while still getting advertising revenue.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 12:37 PM
    Personally I think striking a deal with Google for Play Store access would be the best. I've heard that Amazon doesn't have everything, and also remember it is a forked version of Android. SNAP is working great right now for me, and the Play Store knows I'm using a Z10. I would think Google would want to support a smaller third party like BlackBerry to keep Apple from getting the sale while still getting advertising revenue.

Posted via CB10
    Google is trying and mostly succeeding in cornering the android app market they won't ever cut a deal with blackberry for google play services. I just purchased a Galaxy Note 8.0 and attempted to download Amazon it wouldnt let me, a pop up popped up stating that only Google Play apps are allowed to be installed on this device, unless I take the time and hassle to find out how to root and custom ROM My tablet, I am stuck using the Google Play store.
    02-14-14 01:19 PM
    Something like this?

A BB10 Advertising Campaign for TV and Single Images-1392163391591_400386.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    xBURK and Axacta like this.
    02-14-14 05:26 PM
    Something like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1392163391591_400386.jpeg 
Views:	197 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	247925

Posted via CB10
    To me, that's great and effective. If you created that, nice work. For some reason, others may find it bullish. Not sure why, but that's why you don't see more of these types of comparison ads. Is there a way you could do it without directly naming Apple?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 07:11 PM
    Something like this?

Yup. Something like that. Let the games begin...
    02-14-14 07:38 PM
    Something like this?

Posted via CB10
    or this. This not to bash apple as I use there products everyday. It shows what bb10 has vs ios. Mobile standards only not features who have to purchase additional hardware to use.

Attachment 247942
    Attached Thumbnails A BB10 Advertising Campaign for TV and Single Images-work-play.png  
    Axacta likes this.
    02-14-14 07:51 PM
    or this. This not to bash apple as I use there products everyday. It shows what bb10 has vs ios. Mobile standards only not features who have to purchase additional hardware to use.
    Attachment 247942

Just the imaging alone is great. The iPhones look old compared to the BBs. The longer list for the BBs suggests superior ability.
    02-14-14 08:41 PM
39 12