The single most widely lamented problem for device app developers everywhere is the general extremely low pricing.

Even if you can get upgrade pricing (where this is available on your chosen platform, cough cough iOS) the income streams ought to be much higher given the enormous reach of mobile computing.

John Chen has publicly and frequently lamented the lack of apps on the BB10 platform, and his inability to solve that.

One strategy to solve this would be a mandatory minimum pricing on the BlackBerry World. So you have free apps (these are never going away) and you have paid. Your entry level pricing is say $10, and it goes up from there. This pricing differential would be sure to attract developer attention. BlackBerry owners are HUNGRY for apps and would gladly pay for some nice quality apps and games. This forms a virtuous cycle where more and more developers are attracted to the platform and more sales of more apps improves the satisfaction of BB owners due to diverse app ecosystem.

This is a risky strategy. If the app quality doesn't justify the price point, sales will be zero and it will be an absolute nightmare and BlackBerry will yet again get the boot put in, ever closer to oblivion. But more importantly it is *slow*. How long did it take the App Store to get to where it is today? Years right? And yet it was the number one and really only game in town when it was growing. How much slower would a bootstrapped BB World reboot be?

Nevertheless the world is built on entrepreneurial big bets. BlackBerry's bet is on IoT and software but I think building up the device platform is absolutely essential in that regard. If you aren't in mobile you basically don't exist.

Thoughts?
    10-07-15 08:08 AM
    Doesn't really matter now, does it?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-07-15 08:19 AM
    Nobody would buy a BB10 then, if an app that is 1$ on iOS and Android is 10$ on BB10. And even fewer people would actually buy said app for 10$.
    10-07-15 08:26 AM
    Doesn't really matter now, does it?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    ^^ This!!!

Unless to lament now.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 08:35 AM
    Nobody would buy a BB10 then, if an app that is 1$ on iOS and Android is 10$ on BB10. And even fewer people would actually buy said app for 10$.
    Good point!
    10-07-15 08:35 AM

Nevertheless the world is built on entrepreneurial big bets. BlackBerry's bet is on IoT and software but I think building up the device platform is absolutely essential in that regard. If you aren't in mobile you basically don't exist.
    I think you can exist outside of the mobile world.... but if hardware fails, I think it might be time to get rid of the BlackBerry name and the history of failure that that name has come to represent.

QNX is now the HEART of the company, and it's future. As I don't see the EMM market being a viable option right now. Good and Mobile Iron were far from profit makers and I'm not too sure BES has been doing much better. Automotive, Medial and IoT might what is the future for the company... once the rest has been shed.

As for your App Solution..... most of the BB10 developers here will tell you that BlackBerry long ago stopped worrying about BB10 development, they have already found their solution.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-07-15 08:44 AM