Could someone with knowledge explain the limitations to having an Android phone, and qualifying for play services?

Could BB create an Android experience, with an Android runtime, running in a QNX environment, where the QNX code is invisible to the end user, and all they "see" is the Android product? I'm sure they could do this, so the question is "does this qualify the phone for play services?"

How does BB get android agreements in place for car software running in a QNX environment, without trying to leverage the phones as part of the agreement?

Why couldn't BB offer QNX as the control / delivery mechanism for Android updates? Isn't that essentially what the IoT environment is with all devices?

I understand that Google and Apple to some extent actually want their devices rooted and broken to spur innovation and display capabilities outside of the corporate box. BB could offer this underlying control / security to all phone manufacturers and provide a more secure environment for the software running on the phones. This would interest the high profile high risk clients, and open doors for device sales to companies on board. Even at $1 per phone for this "knox" like software, it would generate tremendous revenue and spread the QNX footprint.

Thoughts?
    06-24-15 03:40 PM
    The OHA requires that (Google-Certified) Android be the base OS. That precludes QNX, hypervisors, and dual-booting.

BB can do anything they like with AOSP Android, but it wouldn't be able to get Google Services or Play Store access (officially, anyway).
    06-24-15 05:53 PM
    Technically it is possible. But Google would not allow it. The QNX hypervisor coming out can run Android and other OS's at the same time. Google Play could run in BB10 just fine, it is simply not allowed. BlackBerry, if they want to stay with BB10, should be looking at incorporating Apple's new Swift 2 programming language. Android is a race to the bottom OS that simply will lead to cheaper and cheaper phones with thinner and thinner margins.

Posted via Z30
    06-24-15 08:13 PM
    The OHA requires that (Google-Certified) Android be the base OS. That precludes QNX, hypervisors, and dual-booting.

BB can do anything they like with AOSP Android, but it wouldn't be able to get Google Services or Play Store access (officially, anyway).
    What about a type 2 hypervisior? If it boots directly to Android and runs BB10 as a skin or runtime kind of the opposite of how BlackBerry's android runtime is implemented? Would this technicality not break Google's TOS?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype...yperviseur.png

Loving my Passport!
    06-25-15 02:54 AM
    What about a type 2 hypervisior? If it boots directly to Android and runs BB10 as a skin or runtime kind of the opposite of how BlackBerry's android runtime is implemented? Would this technicality not break Google's TOS?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype...yperviseur.png

Loving my Passport!
    Probably depends on whether you're loading a ROM with Google services or a truly open/free one...

:-)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-25-15 03:23 AM
    While I'm not sure that that specific thing has been specifically discussed, Google is the one that interprets the rules, and they don't want competing OSs on their certified phones. A BB10 skin would be okay, but almost certainly not a BB10 environment.
    06-25-15 10:00 AM