I don't get it.

We've seen consumers don't care about 'privacy' hence the huge number of sales of iphones and androids.

The Priv, I doubt will offer any more security than a Samsung unless it's via Bes?

Microsoft via Nokia tried their hand at Android, they have way more cash to do so but threw in the towel.

Blackberry... believes they have a chance because... they've got a slidey keyboard to differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers?
    To be fair, that Nokia device didn't really have a shot at succeeding without the Play Store.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-02-15 05:59 PM
    I don't get it.

We've seen consumers don't care about 'privacy' hence the huge number of sales of iphones and androids.

The Priv, I doubt will offer any more security than a Samsung unless it's via Bes?

Microsoft via Nokia tried their hand at Android, they have way more cash to do so but threw in the towel.

Blackberry... believes they have a chance because... they've got a slidey keyboard to differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers?

Posted via CB10
    I tend to agree that the keyboard won't be enough.

They'll also have the Experience Suite, but I'm convinced that Chen will soon make that available to all Android devices through the Play Store to earn some money, so it won't be a Priv USP except at first. And I doubt it can be integrated into the OS deeply enough to provide much more than an BB10-like wrapper anyway. Also, I have yet to see any evidence that the vast body of Android users are desperately waiting for the Hub anyway... they seem to be OK with what they already have.

I guess it boils down to: if not this last throw of the dice with Android, what else is there to do?

BB10 is done. I believe that no more (new model) BB10 handsets will ever be produced. Chen understands very well that it'd be throwing good money after bad. It may not be pleasant reading for many on this forum, but the "world" out there is, and always has been, completely disinterested in BB10 - which is why the historic sales graph shows handsets sales will hit zero three quarters from now!

They'll keep producing Classics and Passports while people/companies still want them - or at least until it makes no economic sense to utilise expensive production capacity for fewer and fewer sales - then they'll stop producing even those existing models.

The OS will be supported (where support does not equate to further development!) for another year or two to meet industry EOL "standards of behaviour". And then BB10 will quietly leave the stage. They'll be a few tears at that point on CB, but BB10 will be by then at the "enthusiast" stage anyway, with only a handful of loyal holdouts. BB10 will become the new WebOS.

On the bright side: The Priv may even be a minor success. After all, the BB10 bar of 680,000 handsets last quarter (85% of 800k) isn't a particularly high hurdle to clear!

If so, Chen might even earn enough money and buy himself the time to complete the transition of BB into a software company.

And, as I said, what else is there to do?
    ljfong likes this.
    10-03-15 04:43 AM
    @
    "
    I see what your saying and agree, Android is the last ditch effort, but I'm failing to see where the revenue potential is.

What else is there do?

Well, considering Blackberry isn't actually *that* great at building software, and they're putting all this effort to transition in to a software company, I'm not entirely sure.

Let's take a look at BB's software track record.

Blackberry desktop manager = crap
    Blackberry Link, looked nice but = crap
    Blackberry Blend, good concept = buggy, sometimes connects sometimes doesn't (Whatsapp's chrome version setup & experience blows BBM via blend out of the water)
    BBM on BB10 (their app, their OS) = performance not as good as Whatsapp on BB10
    BBM on xplatform = features still *coming soon* i.e. voice / video calling, no sign of desktop app

We could discuss quite a few other software failures, all in all though... I don't have the confidence that Blackberry has the competence to be a "software" & services company.

Beyond BES12 which they've been building on from previous experience, they don't have a future outside of that.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-15 05:09 AM
    @

I see what your saying and agree, Android is the last ditch effort, but I'm failing to see where the revenue potential is.

What else is there do?

Well, considering Blackberry isn't actually *that* great at building software, and they're putting all this effort to transition in to a software company, I'm not entirely sure.

Let's take a look at BB's software track record.

Blackberry desktop manager = crap
    Blackberry Link, looked nice but = crap
    Blackberry Blend, good concept = buggy, sometimes connects sometimes doesn't (Whatsapp's chrome version setup & experience blows BBM via blend out of the water)
    BBM on BB10 (their app, their OS) = performance not as good as Whatsapp on BB10
    BBM on xplatform = features still *coming soon* i.e. voice / video calling, no sign of desktop app

We could discuss quite a few other software failures, all in all though... I don't have the confidence that Blackberry has the competence to be a "software" & services company.

Beyond BES12 which they've been building on from previous experience, they don't have a future outside of that.
    Once again, I agree with you.

BB appears to suck at software development, and I expect the BB Experience suite to be ultimately disappointing and follow the same path as cross-platform BBM. It won't emulate the BB10 experience closely enough to encourage the BB10-holdouts to switch to Android, and it won't work well enough to impress enough Android-guys to use it.

I think it ultimately comes down to doing something by giving Android a shot, rather than meekly going through the motions with the failed BB10 and closing-up the hardware division three quarters from now when sales reach zero.

I read on another thread that Chen is going to give the Priv six to nine months to prove itself. I doubt that's coincidence, as I think the hardware go/nogo decision will be made in the same timeframe.

Chen has decided BB's future is as a software and services company. Like you, and like many stockmarket investors given the share price, I doubt Chen will succeed. The software revenues aren't growing as fast as the hardware revenues are falling, and he's running out of time to complete the transition. And, even if he makes it to the other side, we agree that BB suck at software!

That said, I don't really see any alternative to what he's already doing.

Tough to be Chen... but I guess he'll eat well whichever way it goes.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-03-15 at 09:48 AM.
    10-03-15 09:29 AM
    I think that is probably the best way for fans to proceed. The fans would have to drive it.
    I will prob post this as a separate thread at some point, but if per chen, driver development is the problem, then the hardware specs side of the equation will need to be re-thought. The fans would have to live with OS10 phones being a generation to a generation and a half old. The PP has an 800 or 801 in it. whatever. there are no "traditional" form factors with that processor. next march, with 10.3.3 announced, add a couple of new os10 traditional phones with that processor- one touch, one keyboard. maybe you can vary ram/ displays or other hardware features without tremendously upping the driver costs. I dont know. do it regardless of OHA/ android runtime/ Amazon app store [Note [Bla1ze has recently hinted that these could remain as features in the OS].

You could say you are developing it for your corporate customers as the ultimate security device but have decided to release it to loyal customers through kickstarter. or better yet, do it all internal like one plus does and that way you can always be able to say that the limited run invitation "sold out."

fans would also have to accept a std display- anything to keep the costs stdized. I frankly am fine with a 720 screen if it's good. having a 4K screen on a phone is madness, esp if there is an expectation of good battery life.

I'd also update the PP as a "signature"/ flagship device- shouldn't be too expensive to through in the 18MP priv camera and add an extra gig of ram.

there will always be people like me that dont want google or apple on a phone. Im not sure I even want windows 10 phone anymore after the privacy discussions- though windows central has opined that most of the settings can be adjusted. I just want a solid, secure device. all of this presumes the priv is at least moderately successful. BB just needs to adjust to market demand on that, while responding to greater demand for android. maybe a $299 and $349 device?
    10-03-15 03:08 PM
    the zed / Jeep discussion above dosent have me feeling good about pulling the trigger on a used Classic- still might do it anyway. Maybe sailfish will be around by the time the Classic is EOL. maybe I should get out of the armchair CEO forum if I want support for my purchase. I agree, though, Chen has to release an android device.

I do think BB experience on the play store is a bad idea. I think it's got to be exclusive- or at least the big parts of it- to the BB branded android phone.
    10-03-15 03:20 PM
    Does anyone honestly believe they are going to do massive advertising for this phone?
    10-03-15 03:31 PM
    the zed / Jeep discussion above dosent have me feeling good about pulling the trigger on a used Classic- still might do it anyway. Maybe sailfish will be around by the time the Classic is EOL. maybe I should get out of the armchair CEO forum if I want support for my purchase. I agree, though, Chen has to release an android device.

I do think BB experience on the play store is a bad idea. I think it's got to be exclusive- or at least the big parts of it- to the BB branded android phone.
    If you like the Classic, buy one.

I'm sure it'll serve you well for a couple of years regardless of what happens with BB.

As to the experience suite on the Play Store. Chen has to do that to make money IMO. I doubt there are enough BB10 switchers to make a Priv exclusive financially sensible. And there won't be enough casual Android buyers who'd buy a Priv (rather than anything else) to get the Hub either.

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    10-03-15 04:04 PM
    800k with no marketing seems just about right.

Posted via CB10
    nt300 likes this.
    10-03-15 07:00 PM
    800k with no marketing seems just about right.

Posted via CB10
    Problem #1
    No Marketing
    Problem #2
    No Upgrade path from the Z10/Z30. Where the Hell is the Full Touch high end BB10 phone? The device we've been all asking for?
    Problem #3
    John Chen

Eliminate all 3 problems and watch BlackBerry & BB10 bounce back with a Vengeance.
    Does anyone honestly believe they are going to do massive advertising for this phone?
    Nope, they will not. Plus there's no incentive for anybody to choose this BlackBerry Priv (Toilet) over any other high end Android Phone. BBRY like always will most likely "Over Price" this device, not realizing they need to 1st Rectify its Image Quality, then rip off people with high prices, just like what Apple's been doing for ages now, with there over priced iCrap phones.
    10-05-15 07:08 AM
    Problem #1
    No Marketing
    Problem #2
    No Upgrade path from the Z10/Z30. Where the Hell is the Full Touch high end BB10 phone? The device we've been all asking for?
    Problem #3
    John Chen

Eliminate all 3 problems and watch BlackBerry & BB10 bounce back with a Vengeance.

Nope, they will not. Plus there's no incentive for anybody to choose this BlackBerry Priv (Toilet) over any other high end Android Phone. BBRY like always will most likely "Over Price" this device, not realizing they need to 1st Rectify its Image Quality, then rip off people with high prices, just like what Apple's been doing for ages now, with there over priced iCrap phones.
    In other words:

Get Heins back
    Blow all remaining dollars $3b on advertising and
    Development of a super-spec touch phone

...with, again, "no" apps...?

:-D

Then, failing that, go bankrupt? I'm not sure. Let Chen do his thing. It's those limited resources. :-(

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-06-15 08:07 PM
36 12