PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S3 Tips and Tricks

walgarin
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I have not see tips or tricks on this phone so here it goes

1. To change the shortcuts on the lockscreen head to Settings --> Security --> Lockscreen options and then press on the text that says "Shortcuts" beside the toggle that enables or disables them. You'll be taken to a screen that lets you select which ones you want.

2. Take screen shots by wiping the edge of your hand across the screen... or also take a screenshot by pressing the power button and the home button together.

3. another hidden-away setting in "Languages and inputs" in settings is the voice control for apps settings. That lets you do various things like say "snooze" to snooze your alarm, or capture to take a shot with the camera etc...

4. Go to your phone dial pad > press menu key > call settings > tick "increase volume in pocket"

5. When you open up task manager you can individually 'remove apps' by swiping them off the screen.

please let me know if u find any more

Marty_LK
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
To use S-Voice, double tap the Home button. You can set S-Voice to wake up with any word or name after double tapping the Home button. I'm a Trekkie so I chose "Computer".

DX9
07-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Holding Home Button brings up all your multitasking. You can kill all the background apps there also

walgarin
07-07-2012, 06:11 AM
to turn on Swype text input

1. Either press the cog on Samsung’s keyboard or press Menu->Settings->Language and Input
2. Under the second category there – “Keyboards and input methods” – choose the cog next to the “Samsung keyboard” option
3. You need the “Continuous input” option here, which is grayed out by default, not the “Keyboard swipe” option, so you have to turn on the “Predictive text” slider first
4. Check the “Continuous input” option
Source Phonearena

walgarin
07-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Camera

Quick camera access:How many times you want to capture some scene, but the time you are able to open the camera, scene is already gone. Normally you have swipe away the welcome screen, go to applications, search and then click on camera icon among bundle of other applications and after some lag, you will be able to open camera. Now in S3 camera icon is available at welcome screen and all you have to do is just swipe the icon and that’s it.

2. Opening through voice: You an open camera by voice command by saying open camera or I want to take photo. For voice order you need to open S voice either by clicking home button twice or saying hi galaxy

3. Opening camera through motion: Another quick way.Hold the lock screen with finger and then rotate it to landscape mode. Here to activate this feature, settings--> security--> lock screen options--> camera quick access

4. Capturing screen shot just swipe palm over camera screen and it will capture screen shot.

5. To zoom in or out: simply spread in or pinch apart two fingers

6. take pictures of moving object you can take 20 pictures in 3 seconds if you are capturing some moving object. Change scene into burst mode by going into camera setting

7. Best picture:Not sure which one is best in series of burst pictures, let S3 decide for you. It can pick the best photo in series by picking photo according to histogram etc.

8. Smily face detection:Want to take photo when people smiling change mode into smiley face

9. Saving space:Want to avoid phone internal memory being cluttered, change storage in settings to SD card

10. Pictures are blurry: Can use the tripod modification adjusted for mobile. You can search on youtube how to make one for yourself. I’m going upload my soon

pantlesspenguin
07-07-2012, 11:48 AM
I have not see tips or tricks on this phone so here it goes

1. To change the shortcuts on the lockscreen head to Settings --> Security --> Lockscreen options and then press on the text that says "Shortcuts" beside the toggle that enables or disables them. You'll be taken to a screen that lets you select which ones you want.

2. Take screen shots by wiping the edge of your hand across the screen... or also take a screenshot by pressing the power button and the home button together.

3. another hidden-away setting in "Languages and inputs" in settings is the voice control for apps settings. That lets you do various things like say "snooze" to snooze your alarm, or capture to take a shot with the camera etc...

4. Go to your phone dial pad > press menu key > call settings > tick "increase volume in pocket"

5. When you open up task manager you can individually 'remove apps' by swiping them off the screen.

please let me know if u find any more

Thank you SO MUCH for starting this thread!!

Blacklatino
07-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for starting this thread!!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
Ditto. I'll get mine in a few weeks. :cool:

tsells
07-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I'll get mine in a few weeks. :cool:

Say it isn't so!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Are you going Droid? :p

DX9
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
What I also like is you can display the battery meter on the S3. It in the Display Settings. No need for an app or a Custom Rom

pantlesspenguin
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I read on another forum that within the alarm, you can set it to play your alarm alert for a few seconds, then it'll speak the current weather conditions/daily forecast, upcoming calendar events, and a news headline!!

Blacklatino
07-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Say it isn't so!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Are you going Droid? :p

It will be an extra phone for me.....not my main phone. LOL. I already have a iPhone I use when at work - which I'll switch with this one.:cool:

tsells
07-07-2012, 04:18 PM
It will be an extra phone for me.....not my main phone. LOL. I already have a iPhone I use when at work - which I'll switch with this one.:cool:

I'm looking at this phone also. Not sure if I'll hold out for BB10 or not. ;)

Blacklatino
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Yeah. I took BB10 completely out of the equation. Sounds/looks good, but, it's not here and this one is very nice.

jcp007
07-07-2012, 05:31 PM

One the main reason for transitioning to the Android platform were the delays in releasing BB10 devices. Once you have a chance to really try this device out, you will quickly find out how much better the UX is. The GS3 also offers expandable memory, removable battery, and 2GB RAM. The TouchWiz skin is far more focused on the overall UX than Sense skin.

Tre Lawrence
07-07-2012, 06:07 PM
How many of these tips are ICS tips?

reeneebob
07-07-2012, 06:26 PM
How many of these tips are ICS tips?

A lot of them are specific to Sammy, the call ones are ICS.

And thank you for this thread as well, I learned a couple things!

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

ynomrah
07-07-2012, 06:30 PM
If your in your contact list or any various other list, tapping the top of the phone takes you back to the top. Not sure if its on by default or not though.

Also if your texting someone, I think moving the phone to your ear calls them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

walgarin
07-08-2012, 09:30 AM
For A Quicker home button action, Disable S Voice

It's all quite simple. The Samsung Galaxy S III can be set to open up S Voice with a double press of the home button. The only problem with that is that after the first press of the button, there is a pause as the phone stops to see if you want to go to the home page or open S Voice. It's the same thing that happens anytime a handset manufacturer decides to offer double-tap functionality to a button. So if you want the ability to get to your home page more quickly, you can go into the settings to disable the double-tap feature.

walgarin
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Most new phones like the HTC One X have multi-tasking capabilities with a recent apps buttons, the S3 however, doesn’t have this button but you can still access the recent apps by holding down the Home button for just 2 seconds, from there you can switch between apps or close them by swiping them left or right off the screen.

The one we use the most is the direct call which allows you to call a contact when you move the handset to your ear but it only works if their contact details or messages are on the screen.

Say you’ve just scrolled all the way down your contact list, message list or email list all you have to do is double tap next to the headphone socket and you will automatically scroll to the top of the list.

So you’re on the lock screen of the phone but you don’t want to go through the process of unlocking the phone and finding the camera application. Well, you don’t need to; all you have to do is from the lock screen tap and hold the screen and rotate the phone horizontally.

Listening to music or watching a video but you need to quickly pause it, simply cover the S3 with the palm of your hand. Simple but effective.

Saving the best for last is the pop out video player. For example, when you’re watching a video you receive a text but you don’t want to stop the video and switch applications. All you have to do is press the pop out window button on the right of the display and a small window with the video will appear. You can even move the window around while carrying out other tasks.

walgarin
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Smart alerts

The aim of Smart alerts is to notify you of any missed messages or calls you receives while your Galaxy S3 was not is use – sitting on a desk for example. The next time you pick it up it will vibrate to alert you to any missed calls of messages. Smart alerts can be switched on and off in the Motion section of the settings menu.

jivegirl14
07-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Smart alerts

The aim of Smart alerts is to notify you of any missed messages or calls you receives while your Galaxy S3 was not is use – sitting on a desk for example. The next time you pick it up it will vibrate to alert you to any missed calls of messages. Smart alerts can be switched on and off in the Motion section of the settings menu.

I love the Smart Alert feature.

walgarin
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Change Lockscreen Shortcuts

Changing the shortcuts on the dock of the homescreen is fairly straightforward, you simply drag an icon from the homescreen to the dock and it gets replaced. However the option to change the quick launch shortcuts on the lockscreen is a little hidden. You have to go into Settings>Security>Lockscreen options and then tap the shortcuts label to get to the screen on the right. Once there, tap an icon to replace it.

walgarin
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
WIFI Direct

This feature lets you send files to another WIFI Direct devices like the S2, or the S3 at speeds much higher than bluetooth. This is done by establishing a adhoc WIFI network, On the S3, the procedure is similar and once you’ve used it, you can turn it off by going into Settings>Wireless & networks. If you’re sending files between two S3′s, then just touch their backs to each other (NFC) and the phones will do the rest.

walgarin
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Task Manager & Clearing RAM

Despite packing 1 GB of RAM and a quad core processor, the S3 does get a little sluggish at times. The TouchWiz launcher sometimes has to redraw the apps once you exit a heavy app and so on. While the S3 uses the ICS way of killing apps by sliding them off the screen, Samsung’s also retained its own task manager. Its accessible from the bottom left of the task switcher screen and lets you quickly uninstall apps, clear some memory and even monitor storage.

walgarin
07-09-2012, 12:46 PM
How do you watch a video while texting or doing other things.

Just hit the picture n picture button at the right of the screen while in the stock video player

walgarin
07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Missing that search button key on the bottom from the SGSII? Have no fear, just press and hold the menu key, which acts like the search key

walgarin
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
first go to settings>language and input and turn on voice cmd for apps. I had it on early today and said cheese and the camera snapped a photo...pretty cool

walgarin
07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
With voice cmd turned on, you can snooze your alarm by saying snooze. Another thing i found by accident this morning

jivegirl14
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
These are so cool! Thanks! I need to make a note of these and all my findings... so many of them.

walgarin
07-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Here are some more

In settings > sound > device vibration, you can select a different pattern of vibrate, or just make your own by touching create!

In app drawer > widgets, Sammy added a widget to use flash as a flashlight, and a widget to turn the entire phone into negative colors.

You can set the brightness in the majority of stock apps (i.e. the browser) to be app specific, instead of just setting a brightness for the entire system. For example: set the brightness to auto in the system settings, then open the stock browser > brightness and colors, and set it to high. Now the system will have auto brightness, but it will always go to high/bright when you are in the browser!

If you go to Phone > Logs > call logs, you can long-press a number (like that telemarketer you always reject) and select "add to reject list" to have the phone automatically reject the call every time. You can also unblock the number in case you change your mind.

In the stock messaging app, you can go to settings, and on the top you will find options to change the background and bubble style of the messages.

Samsung's S-Voice can do complex mathematical equations for you, then show them in different answers. For example, open S-Voice, and ask "how many inches are in a mile?". Or "what's the square root of 543,636?".

In settings > security > lock screen options > shortcuts, you can change what shortcuts appear on your lockscreen, or take them out altogether.

On the headphones that came with your device, you will see a single button and the volume controls. One press of the single button will pause the music, two presses in quick succession will skip to the next track.

In settings > wallpaper > home & lockscreen, if you select a live wallpaper, it will show as your lock screen as well. It will deactivate the ripple effect though if you have it active.

You can also use pop-up play on streaming online videos as long as they're not YouTube videos, and as long as you use the stock video player to stream them.

Pictures come out better with the camera if you hold the camera button and let it focus before the shot, rather than just pressing it after touching the focus box.

The stock browser has "incognito mode" just like Google Chrome! You can access it by opening the browser, the touching the top right corner to see open windows, then touching the incognito icon. While you're incognito, no history/cookies/or form data will be saved.

While you are on a call, on the screen where the contact picture is displayed, there is a speaker icon in a bubble. Touch it to increase the call volume past the maximum setting. It works on speaker or on headset setting.

*edit*

If you're not rooted, but want to get rid of those pesky bloatware apps, go to settings > application manager > all, and select the app. Within those settings you can clear the information the app has, then disable the app with the top right button. You may need to uninstall updates before it says disable app though... you can also go to the app drawer, hit menu, then select "hide apps" to hide the bloatware icons you've disabled.

That's all I can remember for now, I'll add more soon.

pantlesspenguin
07-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Gah I'm so excited for this phone!!! I was supposed to get it today, but nope, Verizon decided to launch it on Thursday instead of today!!

jivegirl14
07-10-2012, 07:47 AM
In S Planner (Calendar) swipe with two fingers to change the calendar view.

Touch the > at the top right of any view and the other views slide out for a couple of seconds down the right hand side... including Tasks. Makes for quick and easy viewing of different views for calendar and task maniacs like me. Press calendar widget to go to the calendar. I know there are all sorts of caledar widget but I'm trying Pure Calendar Widget for now. I'm also trying out CalenGoo.

Super_Mario
07-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks, a lot of these tips help!

walgarin
07-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Create custom vibration alerts

Remember back in the day when you could create your own MIDI ringtones? (Shout out to Nokia!) Well, now you can relive that memory by creating your own vibration alerts on the S3.
Head to Settings > Sounds and tap "Device vibration." At the bottom, tap "Create." Here's where you'll make your own vibration. First, think about what kind of vibration pattern you want, then tap the middle of the circle to begin "recording." You can tap and hold for long vibration "notes" or tap briefly for quick pulses.
When you're done, hit "Save" and set your new vibration as the default alert.

walgarin
07-11-2012, 05:24 AM
don't know if this is in other versions of Sammy phones (wasn't on my SGS II or Cappy) - but there is a built in ICE (in case of emergency) component on the lockscreen if you use a pin code (and possibly pattern) for lockscreen security - so that if something happens to you and your phone is locked, someone can still dial pre-determined emergency numbers. I believe there a few paid apps that do this, but now built in.

Here's how to set the contacts:

1. Open the Samsung stock contacts app.
2. Select 'Groups.'
3. Under Integrated Groups, select 'ICE - emergency contacts.'
4. 911 is added by default and I don't believe you can disable it (at least in the i747 and I would assume in the other American versions as well).
5. You can add your own contacts to the personal emergency contacts area from your phonebook.

To access the emergency call list:
1. From the lockscreen (I use pin code), select 'Emergency Call' at the bottom of the screen.
2. Click the 'Red Cross' button (lower left corner) in the dialer.
3. 911 and the contacts you added above should show up!

pantlesspenguin
07-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Create custom vibration alerts

Remember back in the day when you could create your own MIDI ringtones? (Shout out to Nokia!) Well, now you can relive that memory by creating your own vibration alerts on the S3.
Head to Settings > Sounds and tap "Device vibration." At the bottom, tap "Create." Here's where you'll make your own vibration. First, think about what kind of vibration pattern you want, then tap the middle of the circle to begin "recording." You can tap and hold for long vibration "notes" or tap briefly for quick pulses.
When you're done, hit "Save" and set your new vibration as the default alert.

That's going to be awesomely helpful! Thanks!

reeneebob
07-12-2012, 12:39 PM
*awaits pantsless penguins posts as she plays with her new toy*

pantlesspenguin
07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
*awaits pantsless penguins posts as she plays with her new toy*

:D

Unfortunately my bright, shiny new toy is in my pocket right now, as I'm at work. I have a leather pouch en route to me via ebay, but I'm also going to go to the mall and see what else I can find in way of cases. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of what this phone can do!!

GG1
07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I've been trying to resist getting the SIII since launch as my SII has been good to me but reading these threads is making it hard.

pantlesspenguin
07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I've been trying to resist getting the SIII since launch as my SII has been good to me but reading these threads is making it hard.

Come, come to the dark side...

walgarin
07-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Contacts

the only issues I am having is getting the contacts pictures to look good once someone calls you..at this point when someone calls me the picture that comes up look all messy and not sharp

any idea on how to fix this, cause not even the pictures from Facebook help when I did a sync

Marty_LK
07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Expect a system update to remove the "Universal search" function on S3s. AT&T just issued the update here in the US. Sprint S3s received it also.

Apparently Samsung is trying to make the S3 more compliant with Apple patent concerns.

pantlesspenguin
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Do you guys know how I can combine all the lil folders in my gallery? Also, I notice that some galleries have the option to delete single pics while others do not. Am I doing something wrong?

Tonight I'm going to make a "first impressions" video :).

pantlesspenguin
07-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Here's my video! First impressions of SGS3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQoOvE-kmcY)

It's been a long day, so I'm a bit slap happy in the vid, lol.

Blacklatino
07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Here's my video! First impressions of SGS3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQoOvE-kmcY)

It's been a long day, so I'm a bit slap happy in the vid, lol.

Nice video. Thanks for posting. :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

pantlesspenguin
07-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice video. Thanks for posting. :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm going to do another one, I think. I had a lot more to say but I kinda brain farted so I just ended the video lol. This time I'll remember to write out my talking points first lol.

phillyphreak
07-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Had this phone now for a couple days and I love it. Thx op for this thread and all that post tips.

walgarin
07-15-2012, 06:37 AM
I am Planning on taking the jump today to root the phone :eek:

Will post the out come

walgarin
07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Driving mode is a useful function. Settings > language and input > text-to-speech output > driving mode.

You can select whether details about the list below are read out to you.

Incoming call
New voicemail
Alarm
Schedule
Unlock screen

I have it on all the time (it only works when not on silent) and I find it useful for telling me who just sent a text so I can decide if I'm likely to need to read it straight away. If you name your alarm something like 'It's Monday morning, time to get up for work' it'll read that out then give you the time, as well as playing your notification tone of choice. Combine that with the voice activated 'snooze' or 'stop' commands and you need never even open your eyes. The only selection I don't use is Unlock screen as it reads the time when unlocking the phone.

walgarin
07-16-2012, 05:25 PM
To change the shortcuts on the lockscreen head to Settings --> Security --> Lockscreen options and then press on the text that says "Shortcuts" beside the toggle that enables or disables them. You'll be taken to a screen that lets you select which ones you want.

jivegirl14
07-17-2012, 01:25 PM
From Android Central- How to switch applications and multitask on SG3
The Task Manager is your friend! I can't remember how I discovered it but I use the Swipe to the Right to close running apps all the time... I've made it a habit. It's pretty neat.
How to switch applications and multitask on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/how-switch-applications-and-multitask-samsung-galaxy-s3?utm_source=toppanel&utm_medium=topbar&utm_campaign=mobilenations&utm_term=cb)

Marty_LK
07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
For better direct-sunlight display visibility, use the "Negative Colors" TouchWiz widget.

Marty_LK
07-17-2012, 06:37 PM
If you haven't discovered this function in TW yet, you can quickly get to any homescreen by tapping the homescreen indicator dots. Each dot corresponds to the specific homescreen.

Tre Lawrence
07-17-2012, 09:03 PM
So... what do you guys think of the SG3 launcher. I am thinking of doing the unthinkable and (gasp!) installing this Touchwiz launcher on my EVO. Does it resize widgets?

pantlesspenguin
07-17-2012, 10:09 PM
So... what do you guys think of the SG3 launcher. I am thinking of doing the unthinkable and (gasp!) installing this Touchwiz launcher on my EVO. Does it resize widgets?

*gasp* Oh the horror! Seriously though this Sense fan girl is diggin the new TW. The only thing I'm missing is the recently used apps in the notification tray. You can resize widgets on the sgs3 so surely you can on the ROM.

walgarin
07-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Found this by accident tonight...

If you're like me and got rid of the Google Search Bar on the home-screen, then realized you may have wanted to use it, all you have to do is Long-press the left capacitive menu/option button and it brings up Search (Web/Phone).

walgarin
07-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Direct wifi (different from internet wifi) has been around on phones for a while but Sammy has found a good use for it.
The NFC chips link the phones together quickly and then the transfer of the file (picture or video) is done on direct wifi,
which is linking two phones by a local wifi connection only between the two phones. It makes it quicker than bluetooth or using a wifi hub.
Example a 1GB video file will start playing within 10 secs and be fullt transfered within 1 minute.

walgarin
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Facetag & Buddy photo share: The S3 gallery has the ability to recognize faces and it prompts you to tag them. Once you do that, an option called buddy photo share comes in handy. By selecting this option you can directly email the photo(s) to all the people tagged in the photo without having to compose an email, enter their addresses and so on. It can send the email to any one person tagged in the photo as well. Sometimes face-tag gets annoying, specially when you’re just trying to browse photos on the large display of the S3 as it keeps showing a box around the face. That time you can turn Face tag off by hitting the menu key and choosing face tag.

walgarin
07-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Additional security in Hotspot mode: The S3 has tethering capabilities and you can even set a password to protect your precious bandwidth. However Samsung has gone one step ahead and introduced a feature called ‘Allowed device list’. With this turned on, despite the fact that you have the right security code you won’t be able to connect to the hotspot, unless your device has been added to the ‘allowed list’.

jivegirl14
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Want to make your screen pop? Turn off auto-adjust screen brightness. It is a way to conserve battery power. I unchecked it and noticed a definite brightness in my screen. It became almost vivid. You can also turn off auto brightness.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

jivegirl14
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
It's called auto adjust screen tone.

jivegirl14
07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Did you know... It's a good idea to tap the settings menu (bottom left) when you are in a new pages or page of an app- the menu changes depending where you are and what you need to do. Very contextual and a good way to see more options.

Marty_LK
07-19-2012, 01:35 AM
This is just a complaint about the Samsung music and video widgets. Just like the music widget, which I commented on a week ago, the video widget also does not provide access to the root folder where all of the videos are located. Once you set the widget to play for the first time, you cannot get back to the root folder to select any other video. The music widget is this way also. Once you set it to playing, there is no way to choose anything else. Both widgets make you back out of them to the homescreen and go to their respective app to navigate to whatever file you want to play.

This annoys me to no end. I've heard it said many times that Samsung is the worlds worst at software development and these widget idiosyncrasies is clear testimony to that. It's like they just have zero clue.

walgarin
07-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Disabling Water Droplet Sound on Samsung Galaxy S3:

1. Open Menu on your phone by tapping the Apps icon from the homescreen.

2. Go to Settings>>Sound on your phone.

3. Uncheck the box next to Touch sounds.

4. Exit the Settings and go back to your homescreen.

There you go ! You have successfully disabled the water droplet sound on your Galaxy S3. From now on, it won’t make any sound when you touch a button on your phone.

jivegirl14
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Housekeeping - you can free up memory by pressing task manager. Most times l don't need every process running so it's a good idea to free it up from time to time. And you can see it working too :-)

http://img.tapatalk.com/4ac60972-7033-0bfb.jpg

jivegirl14
07-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Only meant to post 2 pics so two will be the same :)

walgarin
07-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I been messing with the fully charge of the battery and trying to see which will let me get the most out of it , the problem of battery memory is not there but still better to follow the advice or manual. fully charge and discharge few times

Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect and do not need to be conditioned. And deeply discharging a li-ion battery frequently can damage it and letting it discharge completely and stay that way for a long time can render it unchargable.

That said, the ops advice is also sound. Android needs to be taught exactly what a full charge represents so that it can manage power appropriately.

One of the things I recommend all new phone owners to do is to perform a deep power cycle.

Let your phone discharge completely, keep it on until you are warned about low battery and then just let it run out. Most phone will shut down automatically around 5%.

Plug the phone into the original a/c charger, not the usb cable. Let it charge to full uninterrupted.

When the phone says full, unplug the phone from the charge and reboot. Once the phone is completely restarted, plug it back into the charger and shut the phone off. Even if it says fully charged, let it charge for at least one more hour.

Unplug the charger and reboot the phone one more time. Now you should start seeing (possibly significantly) longer charge times.

Without a deep power cycle, it doesn't know the true capacity of the battery. You should only need to do this once as regularly deep cycling the battery can harm it. Li-Ion batteries perform better and last longer with incremental charges.

so far it has work out good for me.:D

reeneebob
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
A little off topic but I am typing this from my iPhone, I missed the little guy, and holy cow does it seem tiny now. I can still type as quickly and accurately as usual though, the iPhone virtual keyboard is still the king as far as I'm concerned. After two weeks in my drawer the phone is still at 100% charge so I still miss the battery in the iPhone although I'm happy with the SGS3.

There are some things about the iPhone I miss, but I'm amazed at how quickly I migrated back to android.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.

Marty_LK
07-20-2012, 02:59 PM
A little off topic but I am typing this from my iPhone, I missed the little guy, and holy cow does it seem tiny now. I can still type as quickly and accurately as usual though, the iPhone virtual keyboard is still the king as far as I'm concerned. After two weeks in my drawer the phone is still at 100% charge so I still miss the battery in the iPhone although I'm happy with the SGS3.

There are some things about the iPhone I miss, but I'm amazed at how quickly I migrated back to android.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.

My iPhone 4 was good that way with battery life. I could manage about 1/12 to 2 weeks power on standby. But since I'm accustomed to the power cycle of Android devices...I've been using Android for the last 3 years...I'm fine with its high power demands. My S3 seems to be better than all the previous Androids I've used.

pantlesspenguin
07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
My battery life has been very unpredictable. Some days it's fine, other days I have to put it on the charger after just a few hours. I think my G+ is part of the culprit. I don't use it (just the messenger) but for some reason sometimes it shows up as using a lot of the battery!

Marty_LK
07-20-2012, 03:16 PM
My battery life has been very unpredictable. Some days it's fine, other days I have to put it on the charger after just a few hours. I think my G+ is part of the culprit. I don't use it (just the messenger) but for some reason sometimes it shows up as using a lot of the battery!

That will happen if it's in a weak signal area. It'll constantly scan for and attempt connection to the signal if the signal is in and out.

grunt0300
07-20-2012, 07:39 PM

It is G+. I had that problem on my Vivid, until i disabled that app. It's constantly searching, just like the WiFi, and it can suck the battery dry, if you let it.:)

Marty_LK
07-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I decided to disable the G+ on mine. I'm not rooted but disabling works just as well as uninstalling a system or uninstallable app. I also chose to minimize the number of apps that update in the background. Since I use Weatherbug Elite, the built-in weather apps don't need to be active. Same for news apps and other, non-use apps and features.

jivegirl14
07-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Where do you disable the auto update for the the apps?

Marty_LK
07-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Where do you disable the auto update for the the apps?

For disabling updating, usually an app will provide its own settings. However, for Google apps, updating can be disabled in Accounts & Sync settings by tapping the specific account and unchecking items.

If you mean how to disable an app, that's in App Management. Google+, for example, you'll probably need to first uninstall any app updates and then the "Disable" function will be available.

Tre Lawrence
07-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Yep... G+, Flipboard and Currents are resource hogs.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

jivegirl14
07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, I've disabled Google Plus. I barely use it anyway. I do like Flip Board though.

Tre Lawrence
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes, I've disabled Google Plus. I barely use it anyway. I do like Flip Board though.

Yeah, I couldn't get rid of Flipboard. I did get rid of Currents though.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

Marty_LK
07-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I couldn't get rid of Flipboard. I did get rid of Currents though.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

Same here. I find Flipboard to be so nice that I have it on all 4 of my Android phones. I'll also add it to my tablet eventually.

pantlesspenguin
07-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Can you disable G+ without disabling messenger?

Marty_LK
07-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Can you disable G+ without disabling messenger?

Not Google Messenger. But Talk still works.

pantlesspenguin
07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Not Google Messenger. But Talk still works.

I use the G+ messenger for group chat but don't use regular G+ at all. Sucks that I can't get rid of it!

Marty_LK
07-21-2012, 11:19 AM
I use the G+ messenger for group chat but don't use regular G+ at all. Sucks that I can't get rid of it!

One thing you can do is minimize G+ activity by turning off any syncing or notifications you don't need.

pantlesspenguin
07-21-2012, 11:28 AM
One thing you can do is minimize G+ activity by turning off any syncing or notifications you don't need.

I really need to remember to do this when I'm at my computer. I can't find a way to disable email notifications that tell me of peoples' activity on either the mobile site or the app.

Marty_LK
07-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I really need to remember to do this when I'm at my computer. I can't find a way to disable email notifications that tell me of peoples' activity on either the mobile site or the app.

While in G+, tap the menu button on the S3 and select settings. The very first listing will be G+ received notifications.

Beccarn1972
07-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know how to send a whole conversation instead of copying one by one?

Tre Lawrence
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Is Google+ a system app in ICS?

Mobile post via Tapatalk

pantlesspenguin
07-21-2012, 01:00 PM
While in G+, tap the menu button on the S3 and select settings. The very first listing will be G+ received notifications.

I tried that but I still get annoying "so and so is sharing with you" emails. According to the email I have to individually mute those people to stop those emails.

Marty_LK
07-21-2012, 01:18 PM
I tried that but I still get annoying "so and so is sharing with you" emails. According to the email I have to individually mute those people to stop those emails.

Yeah, Google isn't on the cutting edge of user convenience with a number of their programs and I've seen people complaining about this and that. It's one of the reasons I don't use G+. Talk, for example, has no way of showing a person being away or not signed in, so I have to disable it or delete it to keep things private.

By the way, as far as email goes, I choose to set them up without notifications. I disable notification of new mail.

pantlesspenguin
07-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I'd GREATLY prefer it if G+ and G+ Messenger were totally different apps. I really love the messenger with its group chat and hangout feature.

walgarin
07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
You can set the brightness in the majority of stock apps (i.e. the browser) to be app specific, instead of just setting a brightness for the entire system. For example: set the brightness to auto in the system settings, then open the stock browser > brightness and colors, and set it to high. Now the system will have auto brightness, but it will always go to high/bright when you are in the browser

If you go to Phone > Logs > call logs, you can long-press a number (like that telemarketer you always reject) and select "add to reject list" to have the phone automatically reject the call every time. You can also unblock the number in case you change your mind.

In the stock messaging app, you can go to settings, and on the top you will find options to change the background and bubble style of the messages.

jivegirl14
07-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Maybe this should be under Apps, but if anyone is looking for a great Task Manager (I live and die by mine) then check out Google Tasks Organizer. It's superb. On my BB I used To Do Matrix and this is the closest I've found to it. All sorts of options and ways to customize it. In some ways it's even better because it synchs perfectly with my Google Calendar, something that TDM didn't do.

jivegirl14
07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Another question.... what Launcher is everyone using? If you're using the stock TouchW what do you think about the folder creation? I personally don't like the folders (really boring looking), but everything else about TW I quite like. I like the folder options in Apex, Nova and even Go....just wondering what others thoughts are... if you use folders that is. I'm talking about folders to group apps/shortcuts on the homescreen so I don't have to scroll through my ever-growing number of apps.

OniBerry
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I was playing around with the GO launcher last week. Looks and feels a bit better than TW. Haven't created any folders yet.

I just set up one of my screens as my favs, and all my most-used apps go there.

reeneebob
07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Apex, all the way. I've used Go, Launcher Pro Plus, Win7 Launcher replica, ADW, and SBP Shell (gorgeous, that one is), but Apex is my favorite. It's smooth and clean.

Marty_LK
07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Apex, all the way. I've used Go, Launcher Pro Plus, Win7 Launcher replica, ADW, and SBP Shell (gorgeous, that one is), but Apex is my favorite. It's smooth and clean.

Not only that, but it's also the only ICS launcher that will skin all of the OEM icons. If you have a Sense-based ICS phone and want to do some vanilla ICS looks, Apex with the ICS theme will skin all of the Sense icons to vanilla ICS flavor. Nova, with the same ICS theme leaves the phone icon and some others unskinned. The same for Touchwiz.

walgarin
07-24-2012, 05:37 AM
I have only tested this with Windows Media Player, but I assume any DLNA equipped TV/media device would work. This is great if you want to quickly show a slideshow of photos or play some media file on your tv/computer.

1) Go Settings/More Settings/Nearby Devices

2) Turn on file sharing and change any options you'd like. Since I'm on my own my Wifi network, I just disabled access control, otherwise you have to approve every device.

3) Start Windows Media Player. Make sure under Stream "Allow Remote Control" is checked. You should see your phone show up under "Other Libraries" in WMP. Mine shows up as [Mobile]SCH-135.

4) Go into Gallery and select a picture. If connected properly, in the upper right hand corner there will be a new little icon with a monitor and some arrows. Touch this and it will allow you to select a playback device.

5) Now the picture should show up in a maximized screen in WMP. Sometimes it takes a good 10-20 seconds. Videos take much longer, but they work and what I got was the first frame, followed by a good 20 seconds of a "Processing" notification on the Galaxy S3. When I browsed from WMP to my phone videos, it buffered for a very long time, so this "processing" notification is the buffering taking place. I don't know why DLNA needs such a long time to buffer over a home Wifi network.

6) Whenever you change folders you have to click the DLNA icon again and re-select your playback device. Not sure why this is, seems like a bug...Unfortunately I did a little research and there is no way to physically copy files to your computer through DLNA, you'll have to use other methods.Make sure you turn this stuff off when you connect to public Wifi.

jivegirl14
07-24-2012, 07:46 AM
My life in Apex. So last night I played about with Apex and customised my screens. Here are a couple. I must say I do quite like it though I miss my TW Accuweather widget.
It is nice to be able to set things in folders and there are several options. I found Touch a bit faster to launch though. Apex seems to lag a bit when starting not sure why.

Marty_LK
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
My life in Apex. So last night I played about with Apex and customised my screens. Here are a couple. I must say I do quite like it though I miss my TW Accuweather widget.
It is nice to be able to set things in folders and there are several options. I found Touch a bit faster to launch though. Apex seems to lag a bit when starting not sure why.

One secret that probably a lot of people don't know about Fancy Widgets is the ability to change images to anything you want. FW loads downloaded skins into an easily accessable folder in the "Android > data > fancywidget" folder on the SDcard or ExSDcard. Each skin has its own folder and you can go into the folder and switch out widget backgrounds, digits, icons for any that you desire. You have to name the new one exactly the same as the ones they replace, though. I've done it many times before and am considering doing one skin to have the same style of colorful background as the TW weather widget.

It might be possible to extract the TW weather widget background image from the apk on the S3. I haven't tried yet. The only thing that might stop this is if the weather apk isn't found. I already copied the TW launcher to try to install on one of my rooted Android phones, but it didn't work - wouldn't install. Nevertheless, any apk a person copy's from the S3 can be unzipped using 7-Zip or the program of their choice and it's contents manipulated or used. Images are usually in the "res" folder of the unzipped apk.

jivegirl14
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I didn't know that and it sounds really cool. Definitely something to have a look at. I just changed my home screen to 6 x 5 just to see what it's like. Immediately got more space on the home screen plus it closed up some of the horizontal gaps. I am liking this Apex Launcher more and more.

jivegirl14
07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Talking about Launchers I read there is a Jelly Bean launcher for the SG3, has anyone tried it? It sounds cool.

OniBerry
07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
meh...LoL

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SyndicateApps.jblauncher&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5Te W5kaWNhdGVBcHBzLmpibGF1bmNoZXIiXQ..

I'll stick with the GO Launcher for now.

Marty_LK
07-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I didn't know that and it sounds really cool. Definitely something to have a look at. I just changed my home screen to 6 x 5 just to see what it's like. Immediately got more space on the home screen plus it closed up some of the horizontal gaps. I am liking this Apex Launcher more and more.

I found the TW weather widget apk and looked into it. Unfortunately it uses a whole host of various backgrounds for specific weather conditions with weather icons already on each background image rather than a single, blank, background image. So it wouldn't be helpful to use those backgrounds with Fancy Widgets. But it's still easy to find a background as colorful as the TW widget.

Talking about Launchers I read there is a Jelly Bean launcher for the SG3, has anyone tried it? It sounds cool.

Yeah, the JB Launcher is in the Play Store and basically the same as the ICS launcher. It won't provide unique functionality like the JB system will.

Marty_LK
07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Here is an example I just finished with a randomly chosen clock skin background. The screenshot is with the uploaded image I got off of Google images.

jivegirl14
07-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Here is an example I just finished with a randomly chosen clock skin background. The screenshot is with the uploaded image I got off of Google images.

This is awesome! I need to do something like this! Looks so crisp and sharp and bright. Thanks for sharing and Double Like. :)
Are there any specific steps? Oh, and what about your wallpaper?

Marty_LK
07-24-2012, 02:23 PM
This is awesome! I need to do something like this! Looks so crisp and sharp and bright. Thanks for sharing and Double Like. :)
Are there any specific steps? Oh, and what about your wallpaper?

You're very welcome :)

The only thing to do is copy the FancyWidgets folder from your phone to your PC where you can keep a safe copy and also do all of the changes. The FW folder simply needs at least one downloaded skin - I used the Roboto Thin White skin to have the specific digits I like. Then simply find a preferred background image as close to the dimensions as the original "base" image as possible - doesn't need to be exact and you can mouse over the "base" image in the clockskin folder to see its dimensions - and save it as a png image file named "base". Then delete the current "base" image file from the clockskin folder and put the new "base" image file into that folder. Then copy the whole folder back to the Fancy Widgets folder on your phone - delete the original clockskin folder first.

The wallpaper is a Nexus S original wallpaper and easy to find on Google just by searching for, "Nexus S wallpapers". Or you can find them on the Play Store.

By the way, I did a Google images search with "blue sky images" for the FW clockskin background. When you see an image you want, mouse over it and select "More sizes" to get to a preferred size.

jivegirl14
07-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you!

Marty_LK
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Thank you!

Just for extra info, each clockskin folder has 4 actual widget background images - "base", "base_land", "base_small" and "base_small_land" for portrait and landscape versions of the selected widget if you enable the landscape mode for homescreens. You can use your desired image editing program - I use the basic Windows one - and edit the other "base" images to match the specific sizes. Below are examples:

jivegirl14
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
I've book marked this thread so I can do the step by step. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. In the meantime I found some fabulous Apex themes and clock skins. I thought this one was hot:-)

Marty_LK
07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Something I just discovered in Touchwiz on the S3 - press & hold on the homescreen indicator brings up a cool homescreen scroll.

walgarin
07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Just found a way to substantially increase smoothness. Under Developer Options--> Limit Background Processes. I set mine to 5 and notice a difference

if you are in the apps drawer, and you pinch the screen, you will see all pages of your apps and can quickly choose the one you want

jivegirl14
07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I also discovered something with Apex. If you are on a home screen and Press and swipe down the page it opens the app drawer. It means you don't have to go the app drawer shortcut to get to the apps and widget drawers.

walgarin
07-28-2012, 10:20 AM
When viewing videos using the stock video player, you can lock the touchscreen by pressing the power button so that the video does not get interrupted by inadvertent touches. This is especially useful if you are using your phone to entertain your baby or toddler. Also works with mx player though haven't tried it with other players

walgarin
07-28-2012, 10:22 AM
If you get tired of re-unlocking your screen when it turns off, you can set it to not lock for a set period of time after the screen turns off... Go to menu>settings>security>Lock automatically and change the timeout.

jivegirl14
07-28-2012, 05:47 PM
If you have a Drop Box Account, it works seamlessly with the S3. Browsing my Drop Box is like browsing my phone. It's pretty neat - I have access to anything I've uploaded previously which is great And when you take photos or screen shots it uploads them to Drop Box where you can browse them and share to anywhere right from there. I might not even need all the storage I have on my phone... I also have a 32GB mSD card. Mind you I haven't stored many videos or a lot of music just yet. Still, I think altogether there's more than enough space for my needs.

pantlesspenguin
07-28-2012, 06:33 PM
If you have a Drop Box Account, it works seamlessly with the S3. Browsing my Drop Box is like browsing my phone. It's pretty neat - I have access to anything I've uploaded previously which is great And when you take photos or screen shots it uploads them to Drop Box where you can browse them and share to anywhere right from there. I might not even need all the storage I have on my phone... I also have a 32GB mSD card. Mind you I haven't stored many videos or a lot of music just yet. Still, I think altogether there's more than enough space for my needs.

I really need to look into dropbox.

Tre Lawrence
07-28-2012, 08:34 PM

You don't have Dropbox? What?!!! :D

Dropbox is such a phenomenal tool. I even stream my movie files from it.

jivegirl14
07-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I might be able to invite you. Let me find out. But didn't you get some free when you got your new Samsung? I got an additional 2GB I think when I set it up on my new phone.

jivegirl14
07-28-2012, 09:11 PM
I like the way it synchs everything up. I have access to all my files anytime I need them. It's such a useful tool:-)

Tre Lawrence
07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Best business tool ever. Seriously. I have a file shared with our work Dropbox and my wife's Dropbox.

I use it store documents, collaboration work, and it auto backs up all my photos. I also store encrypted Datavault files and my Titanium backups.

HTC gave me 25 extra GB for 2 years.

jivegirl14
07-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Best business tool ever. Seriously. I have a file shared with our work Dropbox and my wife's Dropbox.

I use it store documents, collaboration work, and it auto backs up all my photos. I also store encrypted Datavault files and my Titanium backups.

HTC gave me 25 extra GB for 2 years.

Yes it is! I also got an extra 25G free for 2 years when I got my SG3. As I already had a Drop Box account Samsung added the 25G of storage to it. Whoop! :)

jivegirl14
07-28-2012, 11:25 PM

PP - If you want I can invite/refer you to Dropbox. I'd have to do it by email. Each time I invite someone I get an extra 500mb free space once they join (not that I need it I already have over 50 GB, but it's a nice referral incentive). If you're interested PM me.

But if you install Dropbox on your new SG3 or HTC I believe you should get several GB free Drop Box space, so check that out first.

walgarin
07-29-2012, 01:06 PM
You can use S Voice like a translator,for example: What is the meaning of house in spanish

walgarin
07-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I noticed that any time you send an email in gmail with our new phones (t-mobile version at least), it puts a stupid T-mobile signature at the bottom of the email. I found that you can change it by going to gmail>menu>settings>email@gmail.com>signature and putting in whatever you want.

you can get your status bar in ANY full screen app, even full screen games. How? Start with your finger touching just outside of the top of the display and drag down, it will fade in and you can check your notifications, it works both in landscape and portrait mode

Marty_LK
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I've been using Fancy Widgets for my homescreen weather widget and have always chosen to use an alternate weather provider with it. Now, however, I find that the Fancy Widgets built in weather function is the way to go because it lets me choose the weather provider of choice and avoids double-tasking to display weather results. Beforehand my phone was tasking two different weather apps to provide a single service. The FW app and the chosen, installed weather app were both being used for a singular purpose. Having uninstalled all other weather apps and having set FW's internal weather provider function to my desired weather source - Accuweather - and setting the FW geocoder to "Weather provider", my phone system will function more efficiently. Only one app will be tasked with refreshing and providing weather results.

The menu where this can be accomplished is the FW "Location" menu. In that menu can also be added other locations to be selected by a pre-set tap function on the widget location display. Pre-set tap functions can be found in the "Advanced" settings menu.

jivegirl14
07-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Great tip, thank you!

jivegirl14
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Still want to thank everyone for all the tips being posted, even if I've discovered some of them (like the signature) it's very helpful to have them posted here.

jivegirl14
07-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Multitasking on the Samsung Galaxy SIII.... is... a breeze.

I've got into the habit of using Tasks Manager to close apps I'm not using and also freeing up memory doesn't hurt. I've also found Task Manager reallyhelps me multi-task - Long press the Home button to get the option to swipe away some or all of apps in use, swiping to the right closes the app. Or you can press Remove All to close them all in a second. When apps are open can swipe up and down to select any running app.

Multi-tasking is so easy.... with the apps you're using open, once you long press the Home button you can switch between any of your open apps from where you left them, by just tapping the app. I find this very helpful in so many ways, used it at length yesterday with the camera and other apps.
Everything is just a touch away ;)

Edit Just updating this because someone asked about it...

To switch between running apps:

Long Press the Home Key.
You will see all your currently open apps down the right side with their names on the left.
Swipe right to remove/close an app or
Tap remove all to remove/close them all
To switch between them simply tap on the app you want to go to (before removing of course). You can switch between as many as you want to. Long Press the Home button again to go to any of your other open apps. Tapping the back button takes you back to your Homescreen.
You have to Long Press the Home Button to get to the Task Manager, make sure it's not a short press, that does something different.

If you have open apps you will also see two options at the bottom of your screen, Task Manager and Remove All. If you tap Task Manager you have options to free up memory, it closes running process and tells you how much memory you're using/have freed up. A nice little housekeeping option.

I am using ICS with Apex Pro Lanuncher, I think the above applies with the stock launcher.

walgarin
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
If you go into Settings > Sounds > Auto Haptic It will enable haptic feedback on your games/apps based on sound, pretty neat!! (note: doesnt work on all games/apps, but does on many)

The wiimote controller successfully pairs and works with our SGS3s!

Marty_LK
08-01-2012, 01:05 PM
If anyone buys an S3 - or actually any new phone - and find that it has cosmetic flaws, even very minor ones, make absolute certain to return it before the return period is up. No matter how insignificant the flaw is, if you believe it is something you'll want to resolve at some point, make fully certain to do it within the return period.

I made the mistake of thinking I could safely have my S3 cosmetic flaws resolved anytime in the warranty period and that's not how they are. I bought my S3 at Best Buy and noticed the back panel has some very minor dips along the edge which look similar to dings. Rather than trouble myself with it during the return period of 15 days, I felt secure I could have that simple, plastic back panel replaced at any time, no questions asked. That was a mistake. They will not do anything outside of the return period unless there is something functionally wrong with it. There isn't anything functionally wrong with mine, it just has the cosmetic flaws on the back cover. The flaws aren't all that easy to see but I'm particular about my equipment and am kind of anal retentive about it.

I know from now on when I buy something from Best Buy or AT&T that if I even so much as think there is a cosmetic flaw, straight back to the store it goes. I won't even so much as blink at seeming to be a hassle for them. And if they bark at me bringing it back for even the most insignificant flaw, I'll boldly relate to them my S3 experience.

jivegirl14
08-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Folks, hope everyone regularly checks out Android Central...I like this forum, however most of the questions answers and articles are on Android Central. Here's a very useful article on Home Screens on the Samsung Galaxy SIII. I discovered all this for myself, but it's still useful to see the article.

How to add and arrange Home screens on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/how-add-and-arrange-home-screens-galaxy-s3?utm_source=toppanel&utm_medium=topbar&utm_campaign=mobilenations&utm_term=cb)

walgarin
08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Launch music apps when headphones are plugged in
With this Task programmed, every time you plug in your headphones, a menu of your music apps will appear.
Tap the + sign to create a new profile. Name it something like "Music" and tap the checkmark. In the Context menu, select State > Hardware > Headset Plugged. In the next screen, just tap the green checkmark.
Next, the Task Selection menu will appear. Select "New Task" and name it something like "Launch music." In the next window, tap the blue plus sign. Basically, everything your phone can do is listed here. For this example, select Alert > Menu.
In the "Items" section, tap the grayed-out "Action" button. Then select App > Load app, and select one of the Music apps you'd like to load. To add another app to the menu, select the green + sign, tap "Action," and repeat the same process.
When you're done, tap the green checkmark.

OniBerry
08-07-2012, 06:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

jcp007
08-07-2012, 08:03 PM
If you go into Settings > Sounds > Auto Haptic It will enable haptic feedback on your games/apps based on sound, pretty neat!! (note: doesnt work on all games/apps, but does on many)

The wiimote controller successfully pairs and works with our SGS3s!

The auto haptic feature eats batteries. Disable when done with a game.

pantlesspenguin
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Just noticed this!! When you plug headphones in, you get some choices on apps/services to use within the notification drawer!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/impychick/Screenshot_2012-08-10-17-59-38.png

walgarin
08-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Haven't noticed this being addressed but regarding S-Beam it appears that both phones are required to utilize the same app that is involved with the file being transferred. For example, I use "quickpic" as the default image viewer and when I used s-beam to test a pic transfer, the phones connected however my buddy's phone went to the play store and more specifically went to the "quickpic" downlad page. Obviously my buddy's phone required him to dl the app in order to finish the transfer. I then opened the same file via "gallery" and reinitiated the transfer. This time the phones connected and transferred the file without a hitch

walgarin
08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Your contacts. If you have them on your Google account then pat yourself on your back (or get the nearest person to do it).

If you have your contacts on your sim you will have a name and a number and not much else and when something happens to your phone you will lose them unless you saved them some place else.

If you have your contacts on your phone you will have the option to save a lot more information such as birthdays & anniversaries, addresses, other contact details. But if something happens to your phone you will lose them unless you saved them some place else, and you will have to copy them to your new phone.

If you have your contacts on your Google account they are secure in the Google Cloud, they are not stored on your phone per se (you don't need a permanent data connection to access them as they sync to the phone). You will have all the extra details and if something happens to your phone nothing will happen to your contacts. They will sync with any phone you use your Google account on. You can also access your contacts from any PC when you have logged in to your Google account.

You can export your contacts from your sim or phone, them import them to your Google account. You can then either delete them from your sim or phone, or just choose not to display your contacts on your sim or phone.

If you suspect Google are secretly looking at your contacts on your Google account and you prefer to keep them on your sim or phone then there are plenty of apps to backup the details. Just make sure you copy the backup to your PC or cloud storage so if something happens to your phone...

Marty_LK
08-13-2012, 02:01 PM
You hit the nail straight on the head. In my lengthy experience with the major systems over the years, Google is the only system that fully, seamlessly and reliably integrates all the functioning of a smartphone. I have never had an easier time with any other system than with Google. All of my information, documents, calendars and agendas are a simple user name/password input away. No need for even thinking about it much less going to other functions for it or trying to understand it all.

You'd think Microsoft's system would be just as capable, but it isn't. It isn't reliable and severely limits your information access/edit. With Google, if I need to change anything about a contact or choose to add or remove a contact/s, I can easily do it on the PC in Gmail or on the handset. And the information syncs reliably and quickly. With Hotmail or Live on Microsoft's side of things, you have to scratch your head wondering how everything works and you can only do things on the handset rather than on the PC.

The same goes for iOS. Compared to Google's system integration, iOS looks like a cripple. But iOS is better than Windows Mobile/Phone.

[CORRECTION] You can edit and add contacts in Hotmail/Live on the PC, but you cannot add contact images on the PC. For that, you have to do it on your handset.

jivegirl14
08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I have my contacts in Google. I did quite a bit of reading before I switched and saw that the way Google integrated things actually could work for me. It made moving my contacts from my BlackBerry seamless. I have never had my contacts on my sim card. Too much risk of them all being lost if I misplaced or lost my phone.
Good update and tip thanks for sharing.

walgarin
08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
You hit the nail straight on the head. In my lengthy experience with the major systems over the years, Google is the only system that fully, seamlessly and reliably integrates all the functioning of a smartphone. I have never had an easier time with any other system than with Google. All of my information, documents, calendars and agendas are a simple user name/password input away. No need for even thinking about it much less going to other functions for it or trying to understand it all.

You'd think Microsoft's system would be just as capable, but it isn't. It isn't reliable and severely limits your information access/edit. With Google, if I need to change anything about a contact or choose to add or remove a contact/s, I can easily do it on the PC in Gmail or on the handset. And the information syncs reliably and quickly. With Hotmail or Live on Microsoft's side of things, you have to scratch your head wondering how everything works and you can only do things on the handset rather than on the PC.

The same goes for iOS. Compared to Google's system integration, iOS looks like a cripple. But iOS is better than Windows Mobile/Phone.

[CORRECTION] You can edit and add contacts in Hotmail/Live on the PC, but you cannot add contact images on the PC. For that, you have to do it on your handset.

I just note that Hotmail is now outlook.com and to think they would have move forward like Google but I guess its to much work for them:eek:

Tre Lawrence
08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
I would agree that Google does seem to have accessibility locked down... for me at least. I love being able to sign into any web-enabled portal and have access to my data or documents.

Heck, using Google Voice as my telephony service allows me to text from computers. Stuff like that just makes me more productive.

Funnily enough, I doubt Google planned the ineroperablility at the beginning, but they sure figured it out.

reeneebob
08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Grrrrrrrrrr...I have that stupid Samsung cellular radio bug. I can't believe Sammy hasn't fixed that yet, it's why I rooted and custom rommed my SGS 1.

For those who aren't familiar its when the cellular radios suddenly stay awake and drain the battery. Only way to stop it is restart. It's different than the misread of cellular radio use because the algorithm is wrong. It's done it out of nowhere twice and its software related. I don't leave it plugged in all night, I always charge it unplug at 100 before heading to bed. When the delightful bug happens when I wake up my battery is at 2%, cellular radio awake time is 70% or higher (even with wifi on) and its rapid drained the battery in 9 hours.

I've ready rooted the phone when it did it the first time in case I decided to rom it to stop the issue if it repeated. Has anyone else had it happen? It's not hardware, it's a software glitch and its irritating.

Anyone who has had a sgs1 will know this issue well.

Here's screen shots of the battery log.

http://img.tapatalk.com/415f32e9-765d-96db.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/415f32e9-7693-febf.jpg

walgarin
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Grrrrrrrrrr...I have that stupid Samsung cellular radio bug. I can't believe Sammy hasn't fixed that yet, it's why I rooted and custom rommed my SGS 1.

For those who aren't familiar its when the cellular radios suddenly stay awake and drain the battery. Only way to stop it is restart. It's different than the misread of cellular radio use because the algorithm is wrong. It's done it out of nowhere twice and its software related. I don't leave it plugged in all night, I always charge it unplug at 100 before heading to bed. When the delightful bug happens when I wake up my battery is at 2%, cellular radio awake time is 70% or higher (even with wifi on) and its rapid drained the battery in 9 hours.

I've ready rooted the phone when it did it the first time in case I decided to rom it to stop the issue if it repeated. Has anyone else had it happen? It's not hardware, it's a software glitch and its irritating.

Click to view quoted image
(http://img.tapatalk.com/415f32e9-765d-96db.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/415f32e9-7693-febf.jpg)

I have the SG1, 2 and 3 and never had an issue even after I rooted my SG1 and 2, ever through it might be a defect and getting it replace?

reeneebob
08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I have the SG1, 2 and 3 and never had an issue even after I rooted my SG1 and 2, ever through it might be a defect and getting it replace?

It doesn't affect everyone but it's a known software bug going back to the sgs1. Over on xda a few others have it and have swapped both hardware and sim cards and it still happens. The frustrating thing is its not a regular thing and can start doing it out of nowhere. Only fix is a custom rom or turning the phone off and restarting.

It did it on both of my sgs1's (original and replacement after the recall bell had) but not doesn't happen on non Sammy phones.

Marty_LK
08-14-2012, 02:26 PM

(http://img.tapatalk.com/415f32e9-765d-96db.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/415f32e9-7693-febf.jpg)

Do you by any chance use the stock Android News & Weather widget (Rosie widget)?

The reason I ask is because I installed it on my S3 and one day it used nearly 2GB of data. And my battery drained really low too. The Data Usage menu showed that the rosie widget was the culprit.

reeneebob
08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Do you by any chance use the stock Android News & Weather widget (Rosie widget)?

The reason I ask is because I installed it on my S3 and one day it used nearly 2GB of data. And my battery drained really low too. The Data Usage menu showed that the rosie widget was the culprit.

Nope.

Something is wake locking it while it sleeps. It does it randomly. I can live with it as it's not a frequent occurance but the geek in me wants to know why lol.

Blacklatino
08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I read on another forum that within the alarm, you can set it to play your alarm alert for a few seconds, then it'll speak the current weather conditions/daily forecast, upcoming calendar events, and a news headline!!

I need to try that out. Thanks:cool:

sent from my Galaxy S lll (*_~)

reeneebob
08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Here's a comparison. The first screenshot is the battery log after the rapid drain:

http://img.tapatalk.com/415f3171-b905-7d99.jpg

And here's the battery log after I restarted to stop the bug and recharged:

http://img.tapatalk.com/415f3171-b927-a175.jpg

Keep in mind that when it drained, it was sitting on my night stand in standby. No apps were open (I task kill before bed). I wish this wake lock bug had been fixed. Grrrrrrrrrr. I'm just glad it's occasional but it's still frustrating.

walgarin
08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
has anyone done the small update, also it looks like the JB update will be 8/29

reeneebob
08-18-2012, 02:36 PM
has anyone done the small update, also it looks like the JB update will be 8/29

I don't have any updates showing, but PLEASE let that 8/29 be true!

walgarin
08-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't have any updates showing, but PLEASE let that 8/29 be true!

the update is via KIES software that you run on ur PC

reeneebob
08-18-2012, 09:10 PM
the update is via KIES software that you run on ur PC

I'll check when I get home. Coming back from Shakespeare in the Park at the moment.

Edit

Nope still no update.

walgarin
08-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Set data limit: The Samsung Galaxy S3 is great for browsing the web but some of you may be nearing your data limit for the month. In order to set up data limit notifications, go into Settings, tap Data usage and then check the box which says "Set mobile data limit." Once you've checked this, you can set the data limit on the graph below by sliding the limit bar up or down.

walgarin
08-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Here are a few other handy Samsung Galaxy S3 tips you might find useful:

If you end up with multiple entries for a single contact then long press on the one with your preferred photo or name and select Join contact then tap on the entry you want to merge.
Face tag is on by default because the S3 has a social tagging feature that can identify and tag people from your contacts. If you want to get rid of it just tap Settings when you are looking at a photo and you’ll see the option to turn Face tag on and off.
You can share files easily with other capable devices by accessing S-Beam or Android Beam via Settings > More settings.
In Settings > More settings you’ll also find a Nearby devices option which allows you to share files with network connected DLNA devices such as your PlayStation 3 or your Smart TV. You can also use Samsung’s AllShare Play app to remote access your computer and share files with other devices.
As long as your carrier has opted in (no luck if you’re with AT&T or Verizon) you can get 50GB of free DropBox space. You can also set up Camera upload so your photos and videos are automatically uploaded to your DropBox account and shared with your computer.

walgarin
08-24-2012, 05:24 AM
How to get Android notifications in Windows

How to get Android notifications in Windows | How To - CNET (http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57499369-285/how-to-get-android-notifications-in-windows/)

real nice add on

jivegirl14
08-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks for sharing! Discovered most of these but still good to see them here.

Marty_LK
09-06-2012, 10:36 AM
For S3 owners continually discovering new things about the S3, here's another:

STMicroelectronics details pressure sensor in your Galaxy S III, can tell when you're mountaineering -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/stmicroelectronics-details-pressure-sensor-in-your-galaxy-s-iii/)

walgarin
09-11-2012, 11:30 AM
By default, the Galaxy S III has seven home-screen panels, but you might not want that many. To delete panels, click the Menu button (located to the left of the main Home button below the display) and then choose the Edit option. On the next screen, drag and drop a home-screen panel in the trash bin icon at the bottom of the display to delete it or click the plus-sign icon at the bottom right of the display to add a new panel. You can also reorganize your panels by dragging them into the order you want them to appear. And you can set a home panel as your main or central panel by tapping the house icon in the upper-right corner of each panel.

The simplest way to jump between panels is by swiping left or right until you reach the panel you want. But a set of small dots near the bottom of your display, just above your fixed-app tray, can also be used to quickly navigate home-screen panels. Just place a finger over the dots and slowly slide it left or right to rapidly scroll through panels. Or tap the corresponding dot to jump directly to a specific panel. And a quick single-tap of the main home button brings you back to your central home panel.

Drayk
09-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I found this last night..... Probably nothing new to most but: you can set the home screen button to answer incoming calls and the power button to end calls.

GG1
09-17-2012, 06:08 PM
I found this last night..... Probably nothing new to most but: you can set the home screen button to answer incoming calls and the power button to end calls.

Love this feature, have both my S2 and S3 set up that way.

Drayk
09-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Me too. I'm a contractor and often I need to lock the screen on a call and put my phone in my pocket. So..... The power button /hang up feature isn't an option for me. Answer w/home button is tho

jivegirl14
09-17-2012, 06:36 PM
I knew about this but never really set it up until I read your post. It's great! Thanks for the reminder!

Marty_LK
09-18-2012, 08:25 AM
This is kind of a tip - this is how the S4 CPU in our S3s compares to the new highfalutin Intel 2GHz CPU. Not bad at all!

Motorola's RAZR i: benchmarking Intel's first 2GHz Medfield smartphone -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/motorolas-razr-i-benchmarks-intel-2ghz-medfield/)

grunt0300
09-18-2012, 09:10 AM
I've got some "buyer's regret". Should have waited for the SGS3, instead of jumping on the Vivid. Oh well, it's a lesson learned.:(

Anyone want to buy an HTC Vivid?:o

jivegirl14
09-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I just discovered something else!

Did you know that you can flick up on any screen with two fingers and it opens the task manager? I am not sure if I set this in my Apex Launcher settings or not... but it's pretty sweet. Now I don't have to even press the home button to see my running apps (or multi-task), I just make a flicking movement up the screen and Task Manager opens! VERY nice. I just keep finding these neat little touches on my SG3.

Also - Double-tapping the screen opens a menu from which you can change settings, add/manage screens, apps etc.

Drayk
09-20-2012, 09:50 PM
I just discovered something else!

Did you know that you can flick up on any screen with two fingers and it opens the task manager? I am not sure if I set this in my Apex Launcher settings or not... but it's pretty sweet. Now I don't have to even press the home button to see my running apps (or multi-task), I just make a flicking movement up the screen and Task Manager opens! VERY nice. I just keep finding these neat little touches on my SG3.

Also - Double-tapping the screen opens a menu from which you can change settings, add/manage screens, apps etc.

This is an Apex feature. You can go through Apex Launcher for hours and find stuff.

jivegirl14
09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
And I am going to! It's like finding Easter Eggs. :-P

Drayk
09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
And I am going to! It's like finding Easter Eggs. :-P

It was just too easy to decide to drop it on FB. I was string some tennis racquets and saw it. Took me about 1 min to find it on YouTube and post it to FB..... All from my GSIII

jivegirl14
09-21-2012, 08:41 AM
It was just too easy to decide to drop it on FB. I was string some tennis racquets and saw it. Took me about 1 min to find it on YouTube and post it to FB..... All from my GSIII

I love the GSIII sharing options too! So easy to share stuff with anyone and anywhere! I synch stuff automatically to my drop box and I have to share anywhere. Plus I've really got into using Evernote for storing and sharing - it's fantastic with the GSIII and the fabulous big screen makes everything pop... all my stuff is just a touch away - literally.

If you're not already using Evernote for Android, check it out. For the first time I could see myself going paperless. Interesting because I first signed up with Evernote when I got my Playbook and it was crap on the Playbook and I hated it.

Not so on Android (and on iOS). I'm glad I'm using the Evernote app again.

P.S I great fun sharing that Sumsung advert on Facebook yesterday. So funny.
;)

pantlesspenguin
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
I love the GSIII sharing options too! So easy to share stuff with anyone and anywhere! I synch stuff automatically to my drop box and I have to share anywhere. Plus I've really got into using Evernote for storing and sharing - it's fantastic with the GSIII and the fabulous big screen makes everything pop... all my stuff is just a touch away - literally.

If you're not already using Evernote for Android, check it out. For the first time I could see myself going paperless. Interesting because I first signed up with Evernote when I got my Playbook and it was crap on the Playbook and I hated it.

Not so on Android (and on iOS). I'm glad I'm using the Evernote app again.

P.S I great fun sharing that Sumsung advert on Facebook yesterday. So funny.
;)

Good reminder! I keep meaning to look into Evernote more.

jivegirl14
09-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I found this neat Tips and Tricks for Android in Android Central.
It's very comprehensive and many of the tips we've discovered ourselves but always nice to have more.

Here's the link :

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=31622

Loving my Samsung Galaxy SIII. :)

Marty_LK
10-03-2012, 01:51 PM
More information than a tip or trick - I bought a Sandisk Class 10 64GB MicroSDXC card and tried to copy music files and other files to it but it wanted to to take 4 hours just for 500MB transfer. I'm using Windows 7 but still looked for SDXC drivers and didn't find any - in case there was something needed in that regard. I found the SD Association formatter and tried to format the card. But it wouldn't format - some kind of error.

I'm returning mine and will settle for 32GB capacity rather than trouble myself with the SDXC variety. If anyone gets the notion to buy a MicroSDXC, this problem may occur.

walgarin
10-10-2012, 09:54 AM
quick question, I have been looking all over and need some help

my S3 is about to die (shocker) and I need to do a full system backup since I am getting other today and I do not want to root it cause T-mobile might see it to kindly when I sen the phone back

I need to backup my apps and other setting so I do not have to redo my phone which will be a pain since it took some time to set it up the way I like it

thanks for any help

tsells
10-10-2012, 10:41 AM
quick question, I have been looking all over and need some help

my S3 is about to die (shocker) and I need to do a full system backup since I am getting other today and I do not want to root it cause T-mobile might see it to kindly when I sen the phone back

I need to backup my apps and other setting so I do not have to redo my phone which will be a pain since it took some time to set it up the way I like it

thanks for any help

This is from the Android Central Forums and also what I do to backup my device. (But I have not had to use it to restore anything yet, thank goodness.):

Backup With MyBackup Pro

Apps like MyBackup Pro ($5) or the 30-day trial version can automatically backup your Applications, Photos, Contacts, Call log, Browser Bookmarks, Texts, Calendar, System Settings, Home Screens (including shortcut positions), Alarms, Dictionary, Playlists, and more to your microSD card or online. If you are rooted, it will also backup Apps settings and data.
1. Open MyBackup Pro or the 30-day trial version
2. Tap Backup > Applications & Media > either Local (microSD card) or Online (cloud servers) - local is much faster.
3. Tap the check-box in front of App and tap Ok. This may take a while if you have a lot of apps.
4. Tap Backup > Data > either Local (microSD card) or Online (cloud servers) again.
5. Tap Check All then tap Ok. This may be a lot of data to back up so it may take a while.
Your apps, texts, settings, and more are now on your microSD card and ready to be backed up to your PC. Click Schedule from the MyBackup Pro main screen to schedule regular backups. Or, if you are fully rooted and are certain you will root again, you can use Titanium Backup with the $6 Pro Key and BusyBox.

Marty_LK
10-10-2012, 12:08 PM
This is from the Android Central Forums and also what I do to backup my device. (But I have not had to use it to restore anything yet, thank goodness.):

Backup With MyBackup Pro

Apps like MyBackup Pro ($5) or the 30-day trial version can automatically backup your Applications, Photos, Contacts, Call log, Browser Bookmarks, Texts, Calendar, System Settings, Home Screens (including shortcut positions), Alarms, Dictionary, Playlists, and more to your microSD card or online. If you are rooted, it will also backup Apps settings and data.
2. Tap Backup > Applications & Media > either Local (microSD card) or Online (cloud servers) - local is much faster.
3. Tap the check-box in front of App and tap Ok. This may take a while if you have a lot of apps.
4. Tap Backup > Data > either Local (microSD card) or Online (cloud servers) again.
5. Tap Check All then tap Ok. This may be a lot of data to back up so it may take a while.
Your apps, texts, settings, and more are now on your microSD card and ready to be backed up to your PC. Click Schedule from the MyBackup Pro main screen to schedule regular backups. Or, if you are fully rooted and are certain you will root again, you can use Titanium Backup with the $6 Pro Key and BusyBox.

I concur with this. I also have MyBackup Pro - the paid version - and will use it for a system wipe after the Jelly Bean update. It won't do a good job of saving game data, but it will save call logs, SMS/MMS, contacts, system settings, apps and other stuff. And root isn't needed for it to work.

Also make sure to copy the MyBackup save files to the external SD card before wiping the system.

walgarin
10-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Backup With MyBackup Pro

thank you that work with out having to root the phone

tsells
10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
thank you that work with out having to root the phone

No "root" needed for this app. It's pretty self-explanatory when you open the app, as you back up to your SD card.

walgarin
10-19-2012, 01:25 PM
the software work the only thing is to make sure u backup your pictures off the phone since it mess up a lot of them on my SD card, other then that it work 100% and worth the 5 bucks

Blacklatino
11-19-2012, 10:00 PM
While I do plan on getting a BB10. Depending on what I see when I get one in my hand, that will tell me if I will be staying exclusively with Blackberry or continue to utilize multiple devices. Right now, this device is awesome- whether you upgrade the software- whenever available....or not.

walgarin
11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
after the JB upgrade, I like it even more so...dam this phone rocks

Blacklatino
11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
after the JB upgrade, I like it even more so...dam this phone rocks

Totally agree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Marty_LK
12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Tip: AT&T SG3 JB update now live over Kies.

jivegirl14
12-03-2012, 06:55 PM
OMG yes!! This phone simply rocks. Jelly Bean is amazing!

Tre Lawrence
12-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Okay... that does it. I've tried to be patient with the EVO LTE, but it seems I'll have to just go ahead and put CM10 on it.

Congrats to you S3 folks. I'm jealous

Marty_LK
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
For those who successfully updated their AT&T GS3, did it seem to get stuck on the screen with the green android with "Downloading...Do not turn off target!!" beneath it?

Mine downloaded the huge file and then went to this current screen and has been there for the last 30 minutes. I presume it's the mode where the downloaded file is being transferred to the GS3.

jivegirl14
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't think this phone could get any more amazing but it has. It's like having a brand new S3. So sick :)

Marty_LK
12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Crap! Not able to get my GS3 updated to JB. The firmware upgrade process keeps failing.

jivegirl14
12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Yikes! Wonder why. Carrier specific?

Marty_LK
12-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Finally got my GS3 to update to the official AT&T JB update. But I had to resort to using Win XP to do it. Win 7, the most unreliable Windows I've ever used, just refused to cooperate.

jivegirl14
12-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I never used my computer. Mine was OTA from start to finish.

Marty_LK
12-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Having data network issues after the JB update on my AT&T GS3. Before the update there was no problem. Now, however, my phone won't barely connect.

jivegirl14
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Am loving the Jelly Bean update! Just discovered you can use voice commands to shoot a picture. You just tell the phone to shoot or say "smile" or "Cheese" and it takes a shot! Awesome! And by the way used the voice recorder for this post.
:)

Marty_LK
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Am loving the Jelly Bean update! Just discovered you can use voice commands to shoot a picture. You just tell the phone to shoot or say "smile" or "Cheese" and it takes a shot! Awesome! And by the way used the voice recorder for this post.
:)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2 Yeah, that's was one feature I always loved and used much about my GS3. It worked well in ICS, but I haven't tried it yet in JB.

One thing that can never be said about the GS3 - at least with ICS on it - is that is lacked features. The GS3 is so over-the-top full of features that it takes a long, long time sorting through them and becoming familiar with them.

jivegirl14
12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Indeed. So many cool features to keep discovering. A friend told me yesterday that there's now a setting so you can set up a screen to appear for specific functions, for example when you plug in headphones you can have a special screen customised just for that. I will have to try it.

Marty_LK
12-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Regarding the data issues I reported on after the JB update n my AT&T GS3...

Well...after a day of out-and-about usage, the data issue has calmed down. Tested at 2 other locations and both were consistent with LTE speeds. One place was about 7,000 Kb/s. The other place was about 11,000 Kb/s. The 11,000 Kb/s is higher than my GS3 has ever gotten here in Oklahoma City, which was about 9,000 Kb/s. I went to Atlanta, Georgia a couple months ago and the average speed on my GS3 was about 30,000 Kb/s. A 20MB file would download in about 1.5 seconds there. I wish AT&T would improve the LTE data here in OKC.

Greenghost
12-13-2012, 08:40 AM
These are my lte speeds

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Marty_LK
12-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Tip: The Otterbox Case for the GS3 doesn't seem to be all it could be. I keep finding trash between the screen cover and screen. Over time trash - dust particles, cat hair and so forth - managed to migrate under the cover. Be aware of this if you plan to buy an Otterbox case.

jivegirl14
12-13-2012, 11:40 PM
I took that plastic screen off within an hour of getting it. I didn't find too much dust collection myself to be honest, but I tend to change cases anyway. Right now I am using a beautiful dark blue translucent plastic case and I love it. It really shows off my phone as well as protecting it. It's not as expensive as the Otterbox but I like it much more. I also have a screen protector, though you would never guess because it is almost invisible. Love my Samsung Galaxy SIII :)

BergerKing
12-13-2012, 11:55 PM
These are my lte speeds

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
Ran the Speedtest on my Sprint SIII LTE, 38 Mbps down, 13 up. North of Indianapolis.

BergerKing
12-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Download of the Speedtest app was so fast I barely got to exit out of the Play Store before the 'installing' notification popped up.

Marty_LK
12-14-2012, 12:16 AM
This Speedtest result for LTE in OKC isn't as good as a lot of you all are getting, but it's about twice as fast as the last time I checked while in ICS. And I'm as pleased as a Cheshire cat. :D

BergerKing
12-14-2012, 12:19 AM
This Speedtest result for LTE in OKC isn't as good as a lot of you all are getting, but it's about twice as fast as the last time I checked while in ICS. And I'm as pleased as a Cheshire cat. :D

I can dig it. I was surprised when I saw the 4G icon up after I stopped tonight. Glad I made the switch from Photon to SIII on Black Friday! Seeing the full CrackBerry page load faster than the mobile version normally does is :eek:

Greenghost
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Ran the Speedtest on my Sprint SIII LTE, 38 Mbps down, 13 up. North of Indianapolis.

Hellz yeah how u liking unlimited lte bro.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

BergerKing
12-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Hellz yeah how u liking unlimited lte bro.

It's a sweet way to roll. I use my devices extensively, in lieu of a computer. They're my pocket lifesavers. We have 5 Smartphones on our plan, 2 SIIIs, two Photons, and an OG EVO that the youngest uses. I have been known to blow thru 10 gig of data a month by myself, so a shared plan on the other carriers would suck Jefsweat. I'm glad they're ramping up deployment of LTE and glad i jukped from the Photon.

Greenghost
12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
We are in kinda the same boat I'm on the westside of Chicago and at first I had a s2 and a ns4g I never opened up and now I have the Gnex and gave my homie the ns4g and sold the s2 I go through these gigs through 3 days

ILUMINATIUNDEAD
12-19-2012, 02:09 PM
I have a question, how can I find out which app is using the most battery and isn't so great with my phone?

Marty_LK
12-19-2012, 02:20 PM
I have a question, how can I find out which app is using the most battery and isn't so great with my phone?

On the GS3, the "Battery" menu in system settings will give that information.

ILUMINATIUNDEAD
12-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I know but isnt there a way other than that... I dont think its very reliable

Greenghost
12-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Surprisingly it is accurate I wouldn't say to a t but accurate none the less

Marty_LK
12-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Bug report

My AT&T GS3 doesn't seem to sync info to Google. I've noticed this with Google contact changes where I make a change on my PC or other Android device, but those changes don't show up on the GS3. But what concerns me now is it isn't syncing Google calendar info. I input an event on my GS3 and it doesn't show up on any other Android devices.

This is unusal, in my experience, for an Android device. The one thing all my Android devices did well was instantly syncing any and all data and changes in Google accounts.

EDIT - decided to install the Google Calendar for the PlayStore and see if it resolves the sync issue. If so, there's something going on with the Samsung OEM cal.

jivegirl14
12-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Not seeing that problem at all. I just did a test adding and deleting events and tasks, plus contact, and everything is synching as usual within seconds. I use my Gmail calendar and Calengoo with GTO.

Marty_LK
12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm seeing a little bit of a solution. On the GS3 Samsung calendar app, when I add an event, if I use the default "My Calendar" selection to save the event in, the event never syncs with Google. If I choose my Google account in the drop down menu when adding the event to save to, it syncs within 20 seconds.

jivegirl14
12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
That's correct. It's why I never use the default calendar now I come to think of it. But since I already had my Gmail linked calendar it only made sense to continue using it as it's so seamless with everything else. Not sure why the Android calendar doesn't synch though, it is supposed to, even though I never use it. Glad you've found a solution.

Marty_LK
12-31-2012, 09:41 AM
It's permanently official, I cannot trust or rely on my Galaxy S3 for up-to-date and reliable information.

The sync function refuses to work properly. And this is only on my GS3. All of my other Android phones sync perfectly fine. But when my main phone (the GS3) won't display my upcoming calendar events, I cannot rely on it.

EDIT - I finally resorted to deleting my Google account and re-entering it. This has let it sync updated information. This isn't a fix, just a last resort.

Thinking about restoring my Nexus S to full unrooted, locked factory state and using it as my main phone while I root my GS3 and use it as my play-phone. The GS3 certainly can't be trusted for up-to-date data display.

pantlesspenguin
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
It's permanently official, I cannot trust or rely on my Galaxy S3 for up-to-date and reliable information.

The sync function refuses to work properly. And this is only on my GS3. All of my other Android phones sync perfectly fine. But when my main phone (the GS3) won't display my upcoming calendar events, I cannot rely on it.

EDIT - I finally resorted to deleting my Google account and re-entering it. This has let it sync updated information. This isn't a fix, just a last resort.

Thinking about restoring my Nexus S to full unrooted, unlocked factory state and using it as my main phone while I root my GS3 and use it as my play-phone. The GS3 certainly can't be trusted for up-to-date data display.

I never even noticed this! I always just use my phone's calendar as my official calendar. I never add events from elsewhere. Just now as a test I added an event from my google calendar on PC and it synced to my phone immediately. While I was in the google calendar, I looked back and there were absolutely no events that I had entered from my phone on my google calendar :S. Surely there's a setting somewhere that we're missing. Have you tried asking over at AC or XDA?

jivegirl14
12-31-2012, 12:05 PM
That's rather a sweeping statement. Never had the problems you are having, and checking with my other user friends, neither do they. I have a packed calendar I rely on, so I do rely on my S3 for up to date data. I also don't have a fall back phone. Sorry you are having issues. There must be a reason why yours isn't working as it should, hopefully it gets sorted.

Marty_LK
12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
I never even noticed this! I always just use my phone's calendar as my official calendar. I never add events from elsewhere. Just now as a test I added an event from my google calendar on PC and it synced to my phone immediately. While I was in the google calendar, I looked back and there were absolutely no events that I had entered from my phone on my google calendar :S. Surely there's a setting somewhere that we're missing. Have you tried asking over at AC or XDA?

I had the same issue with the GS3's stock calendar and decided to stick solely with the Google calendar after I figured out its relationship with the phone. The Google calendar is rock solid reliable on all phones - Android, iOS, Windows Phone etc - where it is in use. But for some reason, the GS3's system is throwing a monkey wrench into the works and the Google calendar isn't being reliable on it. I think the stock calendar/Samsung account is messing with it some way.

Since I've deleted and re-entered my Google account on my GS3, it has been updating info. I've created numerous test-events on other devices and the GS3 so far has been adding them. So, as time goes by and it continues to work properly, I may rely on it as a secondary phone, but I won't rely on it as a main phone.

EDIT - By the way, something that may be pertinent to others, I don't use the Gmail app. I choose not to use separate apps for my various email accounts and, istead, use the stock email app to access my various email accounts. With a single tap I can see all my emails this way. Otherwise, I would have to open three separate apps to see all of my email. And by this I mean, when I set up each email account, it gets integrated into the system. No need to go and add my email account info in the system settings. With non-stock email apps, the account info may not set itself up in the phone's system.

pantlesspenguin
12-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Yep I don't use the stock Gmail app either. I use mail droid for everything.

Marty_LK
12-31-2012, 11:11 PM
I spoke too soon about my GS3 now sync'ing data with Google Calendar. Sadly there is an event that it has - the event was created on it - but no other device, including the Google Calendar website, shows.

EDIT - I think I figured the latest snafu out. It appears that when the "My Calendar" selection is chosen in the stock calendar app (a non-Google calendar), it becomes the default logging calendar. Meaning that any new events put into the calendar app will automatically choose the non-Google calendar system even when Google Calendar is checkmarked. I have to unckeck "My Calendar" before any inputted events will sync to Google Calendar.

As a side note, what I'm experiencing with this GS3 is the same kind of experience I have with other system - like WP7 or iOS. The system is so cryptic that it is never obvious of what is actually happening and what is related to what. Samsug apparently chose to not use the Google Calendar system as their default calendar and are using one that doesn't work well with GC.

jivegirl14
12-31-2012, 11:38 PM
I use the Gmail app. I forward all my email to my Gmail and get it all in one place with all the sorting /folder options. And because I have my email "from" addresses also set up I can reply from the appropriate email from within Gmail. It just works for me. And much easier for me (better looking too) than using the stock email app.

Marty_LK
12-31-2012, 11:48 PM
I use the Gmail app. I forward all my email to my Gmail and get it all in one place with all the sorting /folder options. And because I have my email "from" addresses also set up I can reply from the appropriate email from within Gmail. It just works for me. And much easier for me (better looking too) than using the stock email app.

Yeah, Gmail has its positives. But my email app of choice is Enhanced Email, which Amazon gave away free a couple years ago - it's normally a $10 app. It's very much similar to a stock Android email app and it has some sorting advantages over stock email app.

mcaples
01-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Samsung Diagnosis
Dial *#0*#
NOTE: I read this does NOT work on VZW...does ANYTHING!!??!!...hence, my switch to Sprint...PLUS BOGO!!!...HA!!

Marty_LK
01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
If you see non-uniformity of color on the S3 lockscreen with solid color wallpapers, turning off the "bubble effect" in "Lockscreen options" eliminates it.

pantlesspenguin
01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Hard resets after every few months are good for clearing cobwebs out. My briefing feature had stopped working right and my phone wouldn'tgo into vibrate mode . It would either have sound or be silent. My battery was also draining faster than usual. A factory reset has my phone working like new. Setting everything back up was a cinch, too.

jivegirl14
01-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Useful to know. I love this phone :D

tedly1960
08-02-2013, 07:17 AM
A new newbie here. Not even sure how to create a new thread, so replying to this thread. Purchased Samsung Galaxy S3 in May. Getting along with it pretty good until about a month or a bit later. All of a sudden my battery was going very quickly. Talked to Bell Mob. and they had me reset the phone. I hadn't changed anything on it leading up to that. After the reset things seemed to be good. Charged my phone in full before I went to bed last night and got up this morning and the battery was totally depleted. Didn't change anything. Any helpful tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.

jivegirl14
08-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Check your app usage of the battery and either force close or disable it. Go to battery and you can see which are using the most battery. Especially check Google Plus, you may need to disable it, or, if you want to use it check that autotsynch and instant upload are turned off. Lastly check your maps and gps settings. I found maps were a big battery drain.

BergerKing
08-02-2013, 08:28 PM
A new newbie here. Not even sure how to create a new thread, so replying to this thread. Purchased Samsung Galaxy S3 in May. Getting along with it pretty good until about a month or a bit later. All of a sudden my battery was going very quickly. Talked to Bell Mob. and they had me reset the phone. I hadn't changed anything on it leading up to that. After the reset things seemed to be good. Charged my phone in full before I went to bed last night and got up this morning and the battery was totally depleted. Didn't change anything. Any helpful tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.

If you did nothing to change the phone, odds are you have a signal issue. Tonight, put your phone in Airplane mode and see what happens overnight.

Another possibility is an error in the system. It may be trite, but internal errors do occur, and a battery pull can help just as easy as it does on a BB. Keeps mine purring nicely.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app