Just seen this thought it might be of interest.

Nokia: Youths are fed up with iPhone, baffled by Android - Yahoo!

The artical via pocket lint suggests that the young are fed up with the ipnone and confused by andriod.

It's to long to copy paste but a read which although about Nokia looks at a trend which to be honest seems to bear out stats in the UK.
    12-13-11 06:45 AM
    Did you read the source of this opinion? It was this guy...

Niels Munksgaard, director of Portfolio, Product Marketing & Sales at Nokia Entertainment Global

Would you expect him to tell you anything otherwise?
    12-13-11 06:55 AM
    Nokia is a disaster.

This is like Steven Ballmer saying people don't like the iPad.

Who cares, they sell a bunch of them and are killing Nokia right now. Proof is in the pudding. Like it or not, Apple is the leader. They have the best device in terms of sales and satisfaction.
    12-13-11 07:19 AM
    Interesting first replies, UK stats do seem to reflect this though.
    12-13-11 07:35 AM
    Not sure about the veracity of the article but I sure like those new Nokias and WinPhone is a heck of an interesting operating system.

I'm on my last 'wait and see' cycle with RIM. Unless they have something really cool available by the end of next summer I'll be moving over to Nokia and Windows Phone for my next device. I purchased a 9800 because OS 6 was supposed to be the bee's-knees, then upgraded to a 9900 when that was supposed to 'leapfrog everything else out there'. I'm sick of marginal devices and endless waiting for basic features (wifi hotspot anyone??)

Anyway, Nokia's Lumia 800 looks pretty cool and the Lumia 900 should be out by next fall. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an amazing BB10 but this time I'm not holding my breath.

Pretty slick:
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 12-13-11 at 08:44 AM.
    12-13-11 08:01 AM
    Interesting first replies, UK stats do seem to reflect this though.
    Really. Hmmm. . .

iPhone sales in UK triple in October | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Pent-up UK demand for the new iPhone 4S meant that Apple sold more than three times as many phones in October as in any of the three previous months, eclipsing the rival Google platform, according to data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.

Data released by the research company show Apple's iPhone took 42.8% of UK smartphone sales in October alone, ahead of all Android phones, which took 35% in the same period. The figures from ComTech also show the UK market is shifting dramatically towards smartphones: sales of smartphones grew by 43% in October, but the overall phone market dropped by 4% in October as "feature phone" sales nearly halved.

Smartphones made up 69.8% of sales over the three months, meaning 44.8% of the British population now owns a smartphone. But it also leaves 29 million adults in the UK not yet using a smartphone � representing a huge opportunity for rival brands.

The research company says the October boost meant that for the 12 weeks to the end of October, Apple's market share of UK smartphone sales was 27.8%, compared to 25% in the same period a year before. The Android platform continued to increase its overall lead, powering 46% of smartphones in the 12-week period, compared to 34.2% a year ago.

The Guardian's calculations suggest that Apple's sales jumped nearly fourfold in October as the iPhone 4S was released. Tim Cook, Apple's chief executive, complained that ahead of the launch, sales had slowed down substantially as people waited for the expected launch of the new iPhone � which many expected to be called the "iPhone 5". For those three months, ComTech's figures showed the iPhone's share of sales dropping to just 18.5%. Android phones made up 49%.

Despite looking the same as the iPhone 4, which was released in summer 2010, the iPhone 4S has clearly boosted Apple's fortunes in the UK. Dominic Sunnebo, global insight director at ComTech, noted that 75% of sales of iPhones in the period went to people who already owned one � indicating strong brand loyalty among existing customers, but equally that Apple may not be growing its market as quickly as it might want, as the overall smartphone market grew faster than that 25%.

The rapid expansion of Android sales suggests it is reaching new users who have not previously used the platform or even a smartphone.

Other data from ComTech showed that for the three-month period, Nokia's now-deprecated Symbian OS made just 3.9% of sales, down by 10.2%, and the Windows Mobile platform � officially all but discontinued � almost vanished, making just 0.5% of sales. BlackBerry maker RIM also saw its share fall, to 19.6% from 20.9%.

Microsoft's new Windows Phone platform saw a small uptick in sales, to 1% of the market from 0.2% a year ago, when it had just been launched. The ComTech figures predate the launch of Nokia's Lumia range, which are expected to boost Windows Phone's share noticeably.

Sunnebo said: "The October launch of the hugely anticipated iPhone 4S has catapulted Apple into second place among operating systems based on the last 12 weeks of sales. However, if you just look at the month of October, Apple took a whopping share of all smartphone sales, giving it a significant lead over Android � a feat many thought was impossible.

"With nearly a year and a half between iPhone launches there has been huge pent-up demand for a new Apple device. We have previously seen that Apple customers tend to be very loyal to the brand. However, it is still astonishing that 75% of new iPhone 4S owners previously owned an iPhone. Most of these loyalists tended to own previous generation devices such as the 3G or 3GS models. However, 14% previously owned an iPhone 4, demonstrating that quite a few people bought themselves out of their contracts to get hold of the 4S. Clearly the upgraded processor, camera and unveiling of Siri assistant was enough to generate excitement among the Apple community."

Sunnebo continues: "While unwavering loyalty is clearly great news for Apple, it is likely to be a relief for other smartphone operators. With Apple predominantly driving sales from within its existing customer base, it leaves the field wide open for the likes of Nokia, BlackBerry, Samsung and HTC to focus on converting the remaining 29 million adults who don't yet have a smartphone to their brand."
    12-13-11 09:12 AM
    it isn't related to blackberry
    12-13-11 09:20 AM
    That's why it's in the iPhone forum
    12-13-11 09:36 AM
    Just seen this thought it might be of interest.

Nokia: Youths are fed up with iPhone, baffled by Android - Yahoo!

The artical via pocket lint suggests that the young are fed up with the ipnone and confused by andriod.

It's to long to copy paste but a read which although about Nokia looks at a trend which to be honest seems to bear out stats in the UK.
    Once again, an OP giving MISinformation, and grabbing at straws, just to stir the pot and justify their purchase (which they regret). Absolutely pitiful!
    12-13-11 10:24 AM
    Once again, an OP giving MISinformation, and grabbing at straws, just to stir the pot and justify their purchase (which they regret). Absolutely pitiful!
    I don't understand, Firstly my thoughts were around trying to understand the trends of young people, I was supprised that the young were confused by andriod. And how these trends would/may affect take up for BlackBerry, that was all.

I don't need to grab at straws and I don't understand your comment about mis information I simply passed on an articale which I found interesting.

Have I been disrespectful to you or any other posting person, I don't think so, have I been disrespectful to any platform I don't think so.

As working in the field of psychology I was simply interested in trends.

Finally I am neither pitiful or mad. I hope that you are not offended by my comments.
    12-13-11 11:09 AM
    I believe it is, as if the trend is away from other platforms then other platforms will benefit by movements in trends.
    12-13-11 11:15 AM
    I believe it is, as if the trend is away from other platforms then other platforms will benefit by movements in trends.
    The articles posted in this thread by Economist101 and Fat Bastage, tell what's really happening in the U.K. Just curious how you managed to miss them.:roll eyes: That's what i meant by MISinformation!
    12-13-11 01:26 PM
    The articles posted in this thread by Economist101 and Fat Bastage, tell what's really happening in the U.K. Just curious how you managed to miss them.:roll eyes: That's what i meant by MISinformation!
    I missed them because they were not in front of me in any way. I do not spend hours looking through this stuff.

It's interesting that you feel sure about what's happening in my own country about young trends from an articale which doesn't mention young people.

My 16 year old daughter tells me about trends to do with her peer group which I feel is interesting, this is here and now stuff.

If you care to search crackberry you will find other articales on this which will back up and validate this latest articale.

You may wish to bury your head in the sand but I'm sure that Apple will view the articale as important so as to keep ahead of the game, after all that is how the excellent iphone has been kept current and innovative.

I note that you chose not to reply to my comments directed at you.
    12-13-11 04:40 PM
    I missed them because they were not in front of me in any way. I do not spend hours looking through this stuff.

It's interesting that you feel sure about what's happening in my own country about young trends from an articale which doesn't mention young people.

My 16 year old daughter tells me about trends to do with her peer group which I feel is interesting, this is here and now stuff.

If you care to search crackberry you will find other articales on this which will back up and validate this latest articale.

You may wish to bury your head in the sand but I'm sure that Apple will view the articale as important so as to keep ahead of the game, after all that is how the excellent iphone has been kept current and innovative.

I note that you chose not to reply to my comments directed at you.
    So you are basing your statements on one article, and your daughter's peer group? That is no way to report reliable information. One group of individuals does not make or break a product. At one time, Blackberry was the choice of business professionals, but not so much anymore. People had said that iPhone was just for "gamers", but now Apple has changed people's perception about what a smart phone is all about. Take the time to look through the Wall Street Journal, or the equivalent newspaper of that caliber in your country, and you will see what real trends are all about. I'm sure that your daughter and her friends mean well, however, their imput does not make it a trend across the U.K., or anywhere else.
    12-13-11 05:39 PM
    Some analysts have picked Windows Mobile to become the dominant or solid #2 mobile OS by 2015, so this isn't completely out of left field. With Windows still powering roughly 90% of computers in the world and their Xbox platform, I can't see how they can't climb to #1 or #2. I mean, Vista even has more market share than OSX from Apple.
    12-13-11 07:02 PM
    So you are basing your statements on one article, and your daughter's peer group? That is no way to report reliable information. One group of individuals does not make or break a product. At one time, Blackberry was the choice of business professionals, but not so much anymore. People had said that iPhone was just for "gamers", but now Apple has changed people's perception about what a smart phone is all about. Take the time to look through the Wall Street Journal, or the equivalent newspaper of that caliber in your country, and you will see what real trends are all about. I'm sure that your daughter and her friends mean well, however, their imput does not make it a trend across the U.K., or anywhere else.
    Thank you for your reply I agree with most of your obsevations. I have however recovered a couple of other articales for your consideration.

The links are:
    Smartphone 'addiction' afflicts UK - Yahoo!
    The last line of this States:

"The Apple iPhone is the most popular brand overall, Ofcom said, but BlackBerry handsets are the most popular choice among younger consumers, according to Ofcom."

http://crackberry.com/teen-girls-cho...over-iphone-uk

I find that many articales, including the ones I use have bias. I also include in this bias govenmental issues which may be reflected in the articales. i.e. different levels of importance are placed by governments on various issues which may only be relevent for re-election. Base line actual fact is rarely seen, as bias is included, from the moment the first question or inception.
    My daughters peer group "May" only be an indicator of a possible trend not the originator.

Other than that I agree with you the iphone has set the standard and all of us, what ever phone we use, have benifited from Apple innovation, BlackBerry suits my needs that are all based on two facts for me which is that my phone needs not to rely on cloud services (because of my work and UK law) and that my fingers seem unable to operate a virtual keyboard with much success, so other than chooseing a basic none smartphone, I feel that I have made a choice that suits me.

My post was not and still is not an attempt to cause irritation to anyone.
    12-14-11 04:44 AM
    Thank you for your reply I agree with most of your obsevations. I have however recovered a couple of other articales for your consideration.

The links are:
    Smartphone 'addiction' afflicts UK - Yahoo!
    The last line of this States:

"The Apple iPhone is the most popular brand overall, Ofcom said, but BlackBerry handsets are the most popular choice among younger consumers, according to Ofcom."

Teen girls choosing BlackBerry over iPhone in the UK | CrackBerry.com

I find that many articales, including the ones I use have bias. I also include in this bias govenmental issues which may be reflected in the articales. i.e. different levels of importance are placed by governments on various issues which may only be relevent for re-election. Base line actual fact is rarely seen, as bias is included, from the moment the first question or inception.
    My daughters peer group "May" only be an indicator of a possible trend not the originator.

Other than that I agree with you the iphone has set the standard and all of us, what ever phone we use, have benifited from Apple innovation, BlackBerry suits my needs that are all based on two facts for me which is that my phone needs not to rely on cloud services (because of my work and UK law) and that my fingers seem unable to operate a virtual keyboard with much success, so other than chooseing a basic none smartphone, I feel that I have made a choice that suits me.

My post was not and still is not an attempt to cause irritation to anyone.
    Thank you. I do understand your point of view. I own both a BB9000 for work, and an iPhone4, for personal use. They are both great phones. I've never said that BB phones were garbage, but i take offense at people who say that iPhones are. Use whatever phone is best for you, period. Now, as for the U.K. trends. I don't know what part of the U.K. that you live in, however, i have friends my age with teenage sons and daughters, who live in Reading, and one who lives in Bristol. I also have second and third cousins who live in Ireland (Cork and Limerick). The word from over there is that young people can't buy iPhones fast enough. Most of them don't like the keyboard on a BB (I guess that they have fat thumbs), although i've never had that problem. Thanks for your reply, and i'm not irritated at all. Glad that we could clear the air.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    12-14-11 09:12 AM
    I don't care what is trending, my kids wont get smart phones. If i have to buy them a phone it will be a jitter bug lmao.... they want a smart phone guess they will have to get a job
    12-14-11 10:18 AM
    Some analysts have picked Windows Mobile to become the dominant or solid #2 mobile OS by 2015, so this isn't completely out of left field. With Windows still powering roughly 90% of computers in the world and their Xbox platform, I can't see how they can't climb to #1 or #2. I mean, Vista even has more market share than OSX from Apple.
    The issue I have with those predictions that far out is just that: they're too far out. If you went back to 2006, you'd suspect that Motorola would be continue to kill in feature phone sales while Nokia remained ahead in smarthphones. 4 years later, this Apple company has the hottest phone on the street while Samsung is making a fortune in the shear number of sales it has worldwide.

Honestly it's a guess pulled from thin air, nothing more.

The reason being? Desktop market ! = Console market ! = smartphone market ! = Tablet market.

They're all different devices. Microsoft rules the desktop/laptop market as an extension from way back in the 90's during the Silicon wars. Today, you'd have to understand that the current market share not only reflects this, but also Apple's stance on their computers. They make high-end products for premium prices. They make a killing on profit. Most people aren't going to want to (or can't) spend that sort of money, so for a 1/3 of the price, you get a Windows machine.

It's like arguing the differences between Ford and Aston Martin market share percentage.

Anyway, Microsoft had an early lead in a jumbled market to gain the sales of Windows in the computer market. They burned through a good chuck of change to get Xbox to where it is today, but Playstation still sold more (especially PS2). The issue I have with them in the tablet and smartphone market is that they came to the party too late, and everyone is already settled in. So WinMo can sync with your Xbox live account. Great, but I can use my iPhone and iPad with my laptop and get all the newest apps. Microsoft has had plenty of time already and spend a good deal of change to develop their newest OS, and it still hasn't beaten out market share of WinMo 6.0/6.1/6.5....
    12-14-11 12:38 PM
    Thank you. I do understand your point of view. I own both a BB9000 for work, and an iPhone4, for personal use. They are both great phones. I've never said that BB phones were garbage, but i take offense at people who say that iPhones are. Use whatever phone is best for you, period. Now, as for the U.K. trends. I don't know what part of the U.K. that you live in, however, i have friends my age with teenage sons and daughters, who live in Reading, and one who lives in Bristol. I also have second and third cousins who live in Ireland (Cork and Limerick). The word from over there is that young people can't buy iPhones fast enough. Most of them don't like the keyboard on a BB (I guess that they have fat thumbs), although i've never had that problem. Thanks for your reply, and i'm not irritated at all. Glad that we could clear the air.
    Reading's not to far away I'm North in Ipswich Suffolk. I think your right about the keyboard my daughter has the BlackBerry torch full touch screen, didn't want a keyboard, the thing she liked most was that the phone is slighty smaller in size and of course the phones are getting bigger and bigger to maximize the million and one things that are amazingly possible these days.
    Like you I find the constant put downs of personal choice tedious and quite frankly boring.
    Nice to chat.
    12-14-11 02:24 PM
    The issue I have with those predictions that far out is just that: they're too far out. If you went back to 2006, you'd suspect that Motorola would be continue to kill in feature phone sales while Nokia remained ahead in smarthphones. 4 years later, this Apple company has the hottest phone on the street while Samsung is making a fortune in the shear number of sales it has worldwide.

Honestly it's a guess pulled from thin air, nothing more.

The reason being? Desktop market ! = Console market ! = smartphone market ! = Tablet market.

They're all different devices. Microsoft rules the desktop/laptop market as an extension from way back in the 90's during the Silicon wars. Today, you'd have to understand that the current market share not only reflects this, but also Apple's stance on their computers. They make high-end products for premium prices. They make a killing on profit. Most people aren't going to want to (or can't) spend that sort of money, so for a 1/3 of the price, you get a Windows machine.

It's like arguing the differences between Ford and Aston Martin market share percentage.

Anyway, Microsoft had an early lead in a jumbled market to gain the sales of Windows in the computer market. They burned through a good chuck of change to get Xbox to where it is today, but Playstation still sold more (especially PS2). The issue I have with them in the tablet and smartphone market is that they came to the party too late, and everyone is already settled in. So WinMo can sync with your Xbox live account. Great, but I can use my iPhone and iPad with my laptop and get all the newest apps. Microsoft has had plenty of time already and spend a good deal of change to develop their newest OS, and it still hasn't beaten out market share of WinMo 6.0/6.1/6.5....
    I think convergence is what will make or break MSFT in the market. Users will want a seamless experience across all their screens, which is why iCloud and other services critical to the success of this strategy. The one thing I think MSFT has going for it is a single operating system that Win8 is supposed to be across all screens, PC, Tablet, Phone, and the rumored Xbox 720. Apple of course can simply do the same thing and fold iOS into their next OS release.

The biggest issue I have with all of this is choice. This will essentially put you in the position to either be a Windows person, Mac person, and so on, right down to the game console and tv you might own. I don't want a TV from Apple and I prefer Xbox, so will I get a handcuffed experience because of it?

Apple leans towards, yes, yes you will. They already put features in that are specific to iOS devices play nice with other iOS devices. Any why shouldn't they? They are in the hardware business and generate piles of money from it. They should protect that ecosystem and try to get users to switch to Mac. It's already starting in my house with the iPad my wife can't live without. She now has a Macbook in her sights.

MSFT I think is going to go a slightly modified route. They will use the cloud and software to give users a unified experience, regardless of the hardware they choose. They do have more features on their WinMo phones like second screen info while playing Xbox, but with their release of the iOS Skydrive app, I think they are going to take a softer approach with different hardware like Apple.

But I do agree, predicting this stuff four years out is plain silly. Either way, it will be fun to watch.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    12-14-11 03:39 PM
    I don't know about the article, or really care, BUT I wouldn't write off Nokia and the Windows Phone OS. A friend of mine got his Nokia Lumia 800 a couple weeks ago (he works for Nokia) and showed it to me over the weekend. I have to say that the operation, features, UI, and smoothness of the phone were impressive and easily the best I've seen to date in a mobile OS. I hope Google and Apple are paying attention! I would hope RIM would too, but I already know they won't...lol!

BTW, though my friend works for Nokia, he's one of the biggest iFanboys I know. Him saying that he likes the Lumia 800 and WIndows Phone better than the iPhone really means something.
    12-15-11 03:24 AM
    I don't know about the article, or really care, BUT I wouldn't write off Nokia and the Windows Phone OS. A friend of mine got his Nokia Lumia 800 a couple weeks ago (he works for Nokia) and showed it to me over the weekend. I have to say that the operation, features, UI, and smoothness of the phone were impressive and easily the best I've seen to date in a mobile OS. I hope Google and Apple are paying attention! I would hope RIM would too, but I already know they won't...lol!

BTW, though my friend works for Nokia, he's one of the biggest iFanboys I know. Him saying that he likes the Lumia 800 and WIndows Phone better than the iPhone really means something.
    As an ex windows phone user I was a contributor to the windows phone 7 forum and it does look to be a great platform, I couldn't adopt it because of it's reliance on cloud useage, I and many others were concerned about data use and costs, but as you say a nice platform.
    12-15-11 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD