A lot of my friends have the 2G iPhone that they have jail-broke to use on other networks besides ATT. My question is what are the benefits of jail-breaking it if you're already on ATT? What are the positives or negatives? Could you still return it to ATT if its jail-broken?

anything would be good to know.
    12-25-09 10:08 PM
    u mean they unlocked it to use on other networks besides ATT. the benefits of jail breaking are to be able to customize ur iphone pretty much. it enables you to download free apps other stuff. gotta be careful because u can brick it.
    12-25-09 10:22 PM
    The only advantage is the customization as Daizzo said. you can get many utilities to do certain things, download themes and whatnot. I do not know about returning it though.

gotta be careful because u can brick it.
    You can recover/restore an iPhone, they do not brick. From what I recall.

Last edited by Buiomente; 12-25-09 at 10:35 PM.
    12-25-09 10:32 PM
    you do not want to jailbreak your iphone3gs yet... as of right now the only jailbreak available is a tethered jailbreak meaning when ever you turn your phone off it will reboot into recovery mode making in un usable until you plug it back into your computer and run the jailbreak again. HUGE pain in the *** man.. think of it this way.. your out and about and you need to reset your phone for some reason.. you cant use it anymore or if your battery dies you need to re jailbreak it or.. I can go on and on...
    12-25-09 11:20 PM
    you do not want to jailbreak your iphone3gs yet... as of right now the only jailbreak available is a tethered jailbreak meaning when ever you turn your phone off it will reboot into recovery mode making in un usable until you plug it back into your computer and run the jailbreak again. HUGE pain in the *** man.. think of it this way.. your out and about and you need to reset your phone for some reason.. you cant use it anymore or if your battery dies you need to re jailbreak it or.. I can go on and on...
    ABSOLUTELY not true, i have a 3Gs jailbroken with Blackra1n and if it wasnt because i can change themes among other things i couldn't even tell, reverting is just as easy as jailbreaking, do not fall into this jailbreak fear, do it if you have to bring it back, you just back it up and revert it setup as new and they (Apple) cant tell if it was jailbroken once restored. Jailbreaking takes all of 5 minutes and so does restoring.

BOTTOM LINE DO IT, its just like a software unlock for our old BB's
    12-26-09 06:01 AM
    This is true for the newer 3GS's that went into production after about mid-September.
    12-26-09 02:51 PM
    You can jailbreak an older 3Gs with an older bootrom with no problems.
    12-26-09 03:44 PM
    don't do it, there are conflicting arguments even in this thread. iPhone OS 4.0 will be out soon, hopefully with enhanced features and stuff to allow you to do more.
    leave it alone and enjoy.
    12-26-09 11:57 PM
    iPhone 4.0 will NOT be out soon! 6 or 7 months is NOT soon! And I believe you should jailbreak. If only you could have a day with my iPhone, you'll be amazed. All the limitations of a non jailbroken iPhone are basically gone once you jailbreak. DEFINITELY, jailbreak. Join MacRumors forums and talk to us iPhone people about this. Jailbreaking takes around 1-2 minutes with Blackra!n. Hit me up if you need any questions answered. I am a hardcore iPhone user.
    12-27-09 04:35 AM
    I just jumped ship from the big V and the storm to get an iPhone 3GS. The difference is just night and day. The iPhone actually works like it's supposed to, and the os runs so smooth and fast. Everything is easier. I don't know anything about jailbreaking and you say your iPhone is incredible right now. The biggest thing I miss about my berry is the ability to multi-task. Can you multi-task? Also, if you are able to multi-task and run themes, does it slow your phone down?
    01-03-10 09:35 PM
    Haven't you seen the commercials that you can be on a call and surf the web and also send emails on 3G?
    01-03-10 10:25 PM
    Haha. How could you not. It's awesome to have that ability. But with my berry I can flip back and forth between as many programs as I need to and resume right where I left off. If I am opening a large web page I can reply to email or texts while the page loads.
    Talking and surfing is great, but there are so many other times where I wish I could run simultanious programs. I would imagine that since the iPhone runs one program at a time that is why it runs so fast and smooth.
    01-04-10 06:52 AM
    Haven't you seen the commercials that you can be on a call and surf the web and also send emails on 3G?
    Take your comments and go away until you know what you're talking about.

iPhone always allowed multi-tasking for programs that it came with, all 3rd party apps it did not. Jail breaking allows you to mutli-task with 3rd party apps.
    01-04-10 10:40 AM
    The biggest thing I miss about my berry is the ability to multi-task. Can you multi-task? Also, if you are able to multi-task and run themes, does it slow your phone down?
    multitasking is the primary reason that most people perform the jailbreak. when I jailbroke I did not notice a slow down in the operation of the phone. currently I am running several jailbreak apps as well as a theme. I was afraid that battery life would suffer as a result of jailbreaking alone but it does not seem to. obviously battery life will suffer the longer you multitask your apps. some people report instability, but my phone is as stable as ever.

you can set some apps to automatically multitask and some apps to exit when you hit the home button. this is a feature not even available on blackberries.

jailbreaking is very easy. it only takes a few minutes and is fully automated. if you brick the phone you can do a full restore. first time I jailbreaked I messed it up and bricked the phone. 45 minutes later all my data was restored and I had a proper jailbreak. you can restore the phone to its factory settings if you ever have to sell it or return it (in fact, why people DON'T do this, even with their non-jailbroken phones, is beyond me. always restore to factory settings and wipe your data when you get rid of your phone!!!)

iphone 4.0 coming out soon? you must be crazy.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-04-10 at 02:05 PM.
    01-04-10 02:02 PM
    Quick question, can a 3GS be unlocked and jailbroken to work on T-Mobile, or only the 3G?
    01-04-10 09:54 PM
    anyway to avoid the tethered jailbreak?
    01-05-10 12:59 AM
    I have to agree. I also jumped ship from the big V and the storm and the Iphone is night and day compared to my crappy storm.

I have a newer 3gS so if I do the jailbreaking (which is really easy), then it would be a tethered jailbreak which as mentioned earlier is a real pain in the ***. Either way, jailbroken or not, the iphone runs great!!! If you jailbreak your iphone there are programs to allow you to multi-task. If not, no multi-tasking as of yet on the iphone.

I just jumped ship from the big V and the storm to get an iPhone 3GS. The difference is just night and day. The iPhone actually works like it's supposed to, and the os runs so smooth and fast. Everything is easier. I don't know anything about jailbreaking and you say your iPhone is incredible right now. The biggest thing I miss about my berry is the ability to multi-task. Can you multi-task? Also, if you are able to multi-task and run themes, does it slow your phone down?
    01-05-10 07:27 AM
    anyway to avoid the tethered jailbreak?
    if you have an older 3gs then you can run a non-tethered jailbreak. newer 3gs the jailbreak will have to be tethered. luckily I have the older bootrom so I don't have any problems when rebooting the phone.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-05-10 at 05:01 PM.
    01-05-10 04:54 PM
    i thought it was only the 3g? Plus if you jailbreak it you gotta reset it ifit ever breaks. aka you lose all the info on it
    01-05-10 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD