Can someone tell me the benefits of jailbreaking? I dont get what you get from it, and if its worth voiding warranty over.
    08-23-09 11:10 PM
    It can void your warranty if you leave it jailbroken when you bring it in to Apple. You'll have to restore it before doing so.

I did it and fell in love with the iPhone again. I recently put the following theme on my iPhone via jailbreak.

You can also use backgrounder to run apps in the background like a BlackBerry of your choosing. I also have categories which allows me to make folders and put apps into them. For example, I have a games folder with all the games I have. Although I don't play them, it's good to have.

There are apps like iProtect that allows you to lock certain apps. For example, I can password protect my messages and photos app and allow users to roam freely.

It's endless, the possibilities.
    08-23-09 11:22 PM
    so for instance, that theme you have right now cant be done when the phone isnt jailbroken? And if I do need to take it to the apple store and I restore, do I loose everything off of it? ie, Paid and downloaded apps, contacts, messages?
    Last edited by Thaa8thWonder; 08-24-09 at 12:01 AM. Reason: forgotten question
    08-24-09 12:00 AM
    Well... with the iPhone, all you have to do is back your data up. Unlike the BlackBerry, you apps get backed up automatically. Also, all your apps (after syncing), get stored in iTunes.
    08-24-09 12:06 AM
    And that is correct, no themes can be installed w/o hacking (jailbreaking) the device.
    08-24-09 12:06 AM
    So then its pretty much a no brainer. Jailbreaking just makes the phone that much more fun, and won't harm my warranty because its extremly simple to remove. Besides, I'm sure if I was having a problem with the phone I would probably restore it before I brought it in to get looked at. Thanks guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 12:19 AM
    No problem... enjoy your phone.
    08-24-09 12:37 AM
    Hey Duvi did you get that theme in Cydia or from a site?
    08-24-09 10:08 AM
    Website... I'll look for it and shoot it towards your way.
    08-24-09 10:25 AM
    that is indeed a nice theme, I wouldnt mind having it either!
    08-24-09 11:02 AM
    Hey Duvi did you get that theme in Cydia or from a site?
    here u go man

ssh that badboy the way you want it

HTC Hero Sense UI on iPhone | Redmond Pie
    08-24-09 11:33 AM
    here u go man

ssh that badboy the way you want it

HTC Hero Sense UI on iPhone | Redmond Pie
    Hey thanks a lot map.

08-24-09 11:40 AM
    Rofl... just came to post it. Lol.
    08-24-09 11:45 AM
    jailbreaking is not only about themes, the iphone is actually a very nice darwin based system, as a developer having an open platform unix based device is VERY cool...
    08-24-09 01:35 PM
    okk so ive been trying to jailbreak my iphone, using pwnage..and it seems to work and as soon as its done it looks fine except for my sim..it doesnt work.. and as soon as i restore my phone to its previous settings my sim works perfectly fine..does anyone know why this is happening? I really want my phone to be jailbroken but it seems everytime i try to do it it always does the same thing...help!!
    08-24-09 09:42 PM
    Haha 4g? thats a pretty nice theme by the way. I'm running windows 7; redsn0w hung twice so I said forget it but in my opinion the best part is the free apps/apps that dont make the app store.
    08-24-09 10:14 PM
    the phone pretty much has no limitations after you jailbreak it jailbreaking it was the best decsion i ever made i got tons of free aps that i wanted im a huge baseball fan i got the mlb at for free i watch and listen the red sox everyday now i have like 20 themes on my phone that i change all the time want to record video? jailbreak the phone u can do that want to watch movies with out going through itunes or using a computer at all ? jailbreak it u can do that too u can totally customize the entire phone ive never had one issue with my 3g what so ever after jailbreaking it go for it you wont regret it
    09-04-09 01:19 PM
    i jailbroke, then went back to stock. i was losing battery at an alarming rate! i could actually see the battery meter drop just looking at the home screen! it was cool when i did it though!
    09-04-09 01:42 PM
    i jailbroke, then went back to stock. i was losing battery at an alarming rate! i could actually see the battery meter drop just looking at the home screen! it was cool when i did it though!
    With my current jailbreak setup, I haven't been losing battery fast at all. It seems as if my battery is lasting just as long or longer than stock software.
    09-04-09 01:51 PM

That's weird. I used redsn0w .08 and installed Cydia and nothing even close
    to what you're referring to. What did you use to jailbreak?
    09-04-09 02:09 PM
    That's weird. I used redsn0w .08 and installed Cydia and nothing even close
    to what you're referring to. What did you use to jailbreak?
    i used redsnow and installed cydia. then all i installed was winterboard, cycorder, 5 icon dock, and reflective dock i think. oh and sbsettings. i had it set up so that i could see the battery percentage meter next to the battery, and man, it was going down just looking at the homescreen. i was in shock. i'm gonna want the mms features on the 25th, so i'll prolly stay stock now i guess.
    09-04-09 04:44 PM
    i used redsnow and installed cydia. then all i installed was winterboard, cycorder, 5 icon dock, and reflective dock i think. oh and sbsettings. i had it set up so that i could see the battery percentage meter next to the battery, and man, it was going down just looking at the homescreen. i was in shock. i'm gonna want the mms features on the 25th, so i'll prolly stay stock now i guess.
    I think maybe something went wrong with your jailbreak. The only time I can see the battery draining right before my eyes while looking at the homescreen is if I have Pandora or something else updating/streaming in the background. And even just Pandora doesn't do that lol. I also have a live weather widget running on my homescreen and have not noticed my battery draining any faster.

I say give it another try after AT&T releases MMS if you don't want to go for it now.
    09-04-09 04:49 PM
    If you jailbreak again I'd install backrounder and set it up so that the badges
    show on the icons for the apps that are running.
    09-04-09 07:44 PM
    Jailbreak definitely decreases battery (no questions, it's a fact), but the amount of battery loss seems to differ for some.

When I first jailbroke, my battery was good. Then I installed IntelliScreen and a couple of days after that (about 5-6), my battery was draining like the user above. I have since uninstalled IntelliSync (trial was over anyways) and noticed something strange... I had a lot of settings checked in Winterboard that should not have been as well as OpenSSH. Ensure SSH is off (easily turned off with SBSettings) when you're not using it.

I'll report back, but it seems as though this may have been my problem.
    09-04-09 10:50 PM
    If jailbroken can the iphone 3g run on a different provider I.e. Verizon? If so has anyone done it and have positive of negative feedback?

09-05-09 06:15 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD