You think iOS is overated ? Try Android! I was lent a Galaxy Samsung S6 Edge (5.0.3) to try on a different network than the one I'm on on my Passport for two weeks. It's been over a week and I'm giving the Android phone to a colleague tomorrow. Little bells and whistles are neat but when you want to get things done, it fails miserably.

I have a work account (Exchange) and a personal GMail account. Adding the GMail account to the Edge's email program was tedious (can you believe that Samsung S6 email program can't connect to GMail unless you lower GMail's security!?! ) but I managed to get it done. Now I have one app for both email (instead of one for work and the GMail app for well, GMail). But, I still need apps for SMS, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

So here is what I need to go through to read my messages : Swipe down to get the notifications (about that, half of the screen is covered with quick access which also drops down with the notifications). Touch one to open its app and read the messages. Once done, either press the home button to get to the main screen and start the other apps that have messages, one by one, or swipe down again and select another notification, which again will starts its app. Repeat until there are no more unread messages.

Being a touch screen, it's often a hit and miss for the correct key and often, like you, the predicted words were incorrect. I always had to proofread what I typed.

Although the S6 Edge lasts me the whole work day, by the evening, it's down to single digit of battery life. For the same usage, my Passport would still have over 50% of battery left. During that week, my Passport stayed in its holster redirecting SMS with the Message X app and since it was on, kept receiving all messages. I unplugged it last Monday and plugged it back yesterday (that's 6 days on a single charge). Although I didn't interact with it, it was still doing all it's supposed to be doing (beside phone calls).

Next week, I'll be trying an iOS device (don't know which one yet) from the same provider for again two weeks. Let's see how that goes...

Edit: I asked coworkers and read tips on the Edge to get the most out of this phone. Regarding the web, this one http://www.mailinmobile.com/blog/60-...s6-edge-lovers had many tips but I had to reply with its inaccurate reference to BB10 (like "Unlike my Blackberry Q10 which doesn�t allow you to take a screenshot, your Galaxy S6 allows you to do this two different ways") but for some reason, this reply was moderated out lol.
    Last edited by sylvaing; 06-29-15 at 06:06 AM.
    HereticHermit and jhanks64 like this.
    06-28-15 09:59 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean here, about creating content. I would argue that much more content is created on iOS then BB10. But then you mention that iOS is just an app opener, which is fine, but thats what drives most phones now, what do you do on a phone not in an app? I have BB10 and iPhones, and its the same for me. If I want to create a Word document on BB10 is have to use Docs to go app, or Microsoft Word on iOS. Its all the same, even email is an app. I don't know one thing I do on BB10 that isn't an app, even the hub is now an app.
    The Hub is not an app, it is part of the OS. The icon is there for people who are too accustomed to apps. And I do 90% of my work on my Passport within the Hub.

As for creating content, how many long articles or blog posts have been written on iDevices? And how many are readable with all the typos and autocorrect gone wild? If you enjoy your iPhone and iPads, that's great. But it does help to compare devices' operability and quirks, because some of us aren't swayed by Apple's marketing hype and will continue to use devices that are superior for our needs.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    06-28-15 10:19 AM
    The Hub is not an app, it is part of the OS. The icon is there for people who are too accustomed to apps. And I do 90% of my work on my Passport within the Hub.
    Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    Same thing for Android. Whenever I need to open a link or an attachment in an email, it spawns a new program.
    06-28-15 10:23 AM
    Why not post this in iOS forums?
    Crackberry is turning into a place where people make fun of or complain about other platforms more than they contribute to or discuss about Blackberry.
    You are already here, people already don't like the other platforms, so it's no surprise that most people will agree with you.

It looks like there is not much else left to talk about BB, (until the slider and the other new devices are released) so the site is kept busy with these threads.
    howarmat and pri79269 like this.
    06-28-15 10:50 AM
    You think iOS is overated ? Try Android! I was lent a Galaxy Samsung S6 Edge...
    Just keep in mind that every android phone is different. The S6, Samsung's email app and Samsung's TouchWiz skin aren't necessarily representative of other android phones. A Nexus or Motorola phone might be a very different experience for you.

For email, you might consider doing it the other way: add both work and personal accounts to the Gmail app, which now allows non-gmail accounts. Or try K-9, CloudMagic, etc. Choices, choices...
    pantlesspenguin and JosevuN3 like this.
    06-28-15 10:58 AM
    Crackberry is turning into a place where people make fun of or complain about other platforms more than they contribute to or discuss about Blackberry.
    You are already here, people already don't like the other platforms, so it's no surprise that most people will agree with you.

It looks like there is not much else left to talk about BB, (until the slider and the other new devices are released) so the site is kept busy with these threads.
    I did make a post at imore. I was attacked how I'm just complaining for no reason, and I'm ******** and it's obvious that instead of a Search label there's a Keres�s one while my os is set to English. Also then they linked this subtopic too claiming I'm rallying trolls lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 11:10 AM
    There are people who say the same about BB10.

People like what they like.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    LOL... exactly. I've seen folks rant about every OS.
    06-28-15 11:39 AM
    Grousing that the ecosystem is the only advantage iOS has over other OSes is hilarious. It's like saying the only advantage primates have other lifeforms is the ability to walk upright. It's the only thing that really matters.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    06-28-15 11:44 AM
    iOS devices are first and foremost aimed at general consumers who consume rather than create content. Also, they're technically unsophisticated and not demanding when it comes to things like file management. That's why iOS treats them as children, and they actually like it. That's why I couldn't stand it.

For those who need the devices for business, there are lots of apps, many of them with hefty price tags, and they are pretty much essential to get the work done. Once you accept that an Apple device is simply an app launcher, the difficulties you described will not bother you as much. It really is nothing without the apps.
    Yeah sure tell users they are unsophisticated because they use alternative from Blackberry. What I will never understand is people here thinking that their phone is something special. The last time I check all smartphones can make calls, send and receive texts and emails, some do apps except BB. I grant you that different OSes address those tasks in different ways but to say that ios users are stupid that is really idiotic. For your info at CERN they only use Ios and they are really Sophisticated guys. I would actually lose my respect for them if they would use antiquated BB. As for the notion that BB gets things done while others do not, I can only say that you have been living in the past because I can say with certaintly that in the US no enterprise still use BB and we are still the most productive country in the world.
    As for the guy that doubt users write stuff on Ios for business, give me a break probably half the article on this site have been written on an Ipad.
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    06-28-15 11:47 AM
    For email, you might consider doing it the other way: add both work and personal accounts to the Gmail app, which now allows non-gmail accounts. Or try K-9, CloudMagic, etc. Choices, choices...
    I tried. You can't add an active sync account to Gmail, unless you choose imap which sucks.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 11:52 AM
    *yawn*

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    xandermac likes this.
    06-28-15 02:50 PM

That's hitting the nail right on the head, that is.

Pathetic, isn't it?

mikeo007, pri79269 and mmcfly23 like this.
    06-28-15 02:52 PM
    I think iOS is terrific, though flawed. My only problem with my old iPhone was battery life. My only problem with Apple is their refusal to even acknowledge a battery life problem, nor do anything about it.

I use a Z30 now, which is also terrific, though I have to make sacrifices. But the great battery life is worth it.
    06-28-15 03:56 PM
    That's hitting the nail right on the head, that is.

Pathetic, isn't it?

Have you noticed which forum of this site you're on? I don't mean just CrackBerry, but exactly what's THIS forum NAME and its path... He took the time to post appropriately so show some respect.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 04:07 PM
    If you tried to use it like an iPad rather than a BB it might not be as difficult. Fact is that on a daily basis hundreds of times more people use iOS than BB and simply don't have those problems.
    06-28-15 04:39 PM
    Have you noticed which forum of this site you're on? I don't mean just CrackBerry, but exactly what's THIS forum NAME and its path... He took the time to post appropriately so show some respect.

Posted via CB10
    no he didn't, I moved it from General Blackberry Discussion forum.
    06-28-15 05:14 PM
    no he didn't, I moved it from General Blackberry Discussion forum.
    What he said.

06-28-15 07:51 PM
    Personally I can't stand iOS. I get angry just setting up an email account or connecting to WiFi because I can't determine if I typed the password wrong or something else is incorrect. I know that I despise Apple for long time issues that have not gotten much better, so I just take a deep breath and get through it.
    06-29-15 03:43 AM

Although the S6 Edge lasts me the whole work day, by the evening, it's down to single digit of battery life. For the same usage, my Passport would still have over 50% of battery left. During that week, my Passport stayed in its holster redirecting SMS with the Message X app and since it was on, kept receiving all messages. I unplugged it last Monday and plugged it back yesterday (that's 6 days on a single charge). Although I didn't interact with it, it was still doing all it's supposed to be doing (beside phone calls).

Next week, I'll be trying an iOS device (don't know which one yet) from the same provider for again two weeks. Let's see how that goes...
    You realize in regards to battery life that the Passport is twice the size of the S6 and has a massive battery in it right? I think the Passport's battery is nice as well but its getting a little ridiculous praising it compared to other phones when it has nothing to do with how Blackberry manages battery life. It has to do with BB putting a gargantuan battery in a huge phone in order for the battery to last.
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    06-29-15 06:49 AM
    The Passport batterie is 'just' 33% bigger than de S6 Edge batterie. I was expecting more batterie life from a 2600 mAh batterie.

BTW, the Z30 I had before had a similar batterie (2880 mAh) and it had no trouble lasting me the whole day.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 09:42 AM
    The Passport batterie is 'just' 33% bigger than de S6 Edge batterie. I was expecting more batterie life from a 2600 mAh batterie.

BTW, the Z30 I had before had a similar batterie (2880 mAh) and it had no trouble lasting me the whole day.

Posted via CB10
    Look at what you are comparing. You're comparing a battery that's 35% larger powering a smaller screen with a lesser display quality.

Same holds true with the Z30. The battery life will last a day but it's because of the poor Z30 screen that doesn't drain the battery as fast next to phones that have much better screens. Put a display like one on the S6 or even the Passport and the battery wouldn't last half as long.
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    06-29-15 10:41 AM
    Both the Z30 and the S6 Edge have AMOLED screens. The Z30 has 5" screen and the Edge has a 5.1" screen, basically the same size. If Samsung wants to put a QuadHD display on a 5" PHONE, then they should put a batterie that goes with it, not one that won't last a day!

As for the Passport, it's a 1440x1440 LCD screen which consumes more power than an AMOLED equivalent anyway and yet, lasts more than a day on a single charge. The Passport has a 453 PPI, not far from the S6 577 PPI, but even 453 is so high that I can't makeup pixels, even very close to it...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sylvaing; 06-29-15 at 01:01 PM.
    tmf06 likes this.
    06-29-15 11:39 AM
    Both the Z30 and the S6 Edge have AMOLED screens. The Z30 has 5" screen and the Edge has a 5.1" screen, basically the same size. If Samsung wants to put a QuadHD display on a 5" PHONE, then they should put a batterie that goes with it, not one that won't last a day!

As for the Passport, it's a 1440x1440 LCD screen which consumes more power than an AMOLED equivalent anyway and yet, lasts more than a day on a single charge. The Passport has a 453 PPI, not far from the S6 577 PPI, but even 453 is so high that I can't makeup pixels, even very close to it...

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, compare the screen of the S6 and Z30 and see if you notice a difference. Its a night and day difference as the Z30 screen is dimmed to the max to conserve battery life.

The Passports screen is nice but its also smaller and requires less power, and it has a massive battery. All I'm saying is that they aren't Apple's for Apples comparisons. By your standards the Z10 should get great battery life too because it runs BB10, and it gets horrid battery life.
    06-29-15 03:01 PM
    Honestly, compare the screen of the S6 and Z30 and see if you notice a difference. Its a night and day difference as the Z30 screen is dimmed to the max to conserve battery life.

The Passports screen is nice but its also smaller and requires less power, and it has a massive battery. All I'm saying is that they aren't Apple's for Apples comparisons. By your standards the Z10 should get great battery life too because it runs BB10, and it gets horrid battery life.
    The BlackBerry led screens are not dim by any means. I use my Q10 and z30 with minimum brightness. And it is still bright enough, even too bright at nights.

Whatever the screen resolution benefit might be for the S6, if the battery cannot last a day because of the high screen resolution, then it is obviously not worth it.

If the phone runs out of battery, whether the screen has a 2k or 4k resolution does not matter. It is just a rectangular brick. There would be one giant 5 inch pixel that is black.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy the inferior 720p resolution on my q10 an z30 both of which actually last a day.

When I moved from a 480p screen to a 720p, the difference was huge. Anything more than that, the difference is there, but it would not be as noticeable due to the law of diminishing returns.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 03:08 PM

Since I lent the S6 to a co-worker, it will have to wait until tomorrow until I can take a screen shot with both at max brightness.

As for the Passport, I already answered. My point stands.

As for the Z10, it had a 1800 mAh batterie and even still, I could get a full day of work on its batterie.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 05:32 PM
119 12345