CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why does iMessage switch to Text Message sometimes?

When I'm texting another iPhone user on iOS 5, I've noticed that it switches from iMeesage to a regular text message sometimes.

Does anyone know why it switches?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Coverage. If it can send via iMessage it will but it uses SMS as a backup for any signal issues. I had this happen a few times, it is meant to work that way. You can toggle this in settings to not switch to SMS but it acting normally.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mikos View Post
    Coverage. If it can send via iMessage it will but it uses SMS as a backup for any signal issues. I had this happen a few times, it is meant to work that way. You can toggle this in settings to not switch to SMS but it acting normally.
    That's what I thought. The weird thing is that my conversions to regular SMS happens when I've got like 4 bars of signal with VZW.

Also, if I toggle that switch to not switch to SMS, am I still able to send SMS to non-iPhone users? Is that setting only relevant for iOS5/non-iOS5 users?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,249 Global Posts

It may not be your phone with the bad signal. The other phone might be in a bad area and the system is not seeing the recipient as an Iphone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Good point, Engire. I didn't even consider that. It makes more sense about the other party.