After seeing what a jailbroken iPhone can do, and what the phone is really capable of. Why does Apple limit it sooo much?

Is there plan to slowly give people one feature at a time with each OS upgrade?

What is the true reason?
    01-12-10 10:20 PM
    Their theory likely is that its a phone anyone from 2-80 can pick up and use easily. Thats what they geared their product towards.

The more features and "geek" stuff you put in the more confusing the OS gets. Remember 99.9% of the users arent phone geeks like us or would even use/understand the jailbreak features if added natively.

A lot of the jailbreak tools are for the tech geek and take complicated setups
    01-12-10 10:25 PM
    Agreed........ couldnt have said it better myself!!
    01-12-10 10:42 PM
    To the OP, as I have said about 1000 times, it's apple. That is really all anyone needs to know to answer your question. It's just the way apple does things, they do not really care what people want. I am a machead and I love apple, sure there are things that I wish the iPhone could do or features that I wish it had, but I would never JB my iPhone, I bought it knowing what I was going to get.
    01-12-10 11:03 PM
    Most of the jailbreak stuff could of course be implemented but the problem is people who wouldn't know how to manage those things thus causing OS problems for them and really poor battery life. The complaints would be through the roof. For example multi-tasking. The first two gen phones more really don't have it because the power and processor aren't that good enough to handle it like the 3gs can. But they still didn't implement it because people would manange multitasking poorly thus causing subpar battery life. Just look at some threads on CB from noobie BB users who have bad battery life and turns out they don't fully close their apps.
    01-13-10 02:02 AM
    Their theory likely is that its a phone anyone from 2-80 can pick up and use easily. Thats what they geared their product towards.

The more features and "geek" stuff you put in the more confusing the OS gets. Remember 99.9% of the users arent phone geeks like us or would even use/understand the jailbreak features if added natively.

This is exactly why Apple sells 3 million iPhones in one weekend and everyone else 100,000; point well made. You know when a five year old picks up my phone and starts playing with it for almost an hour without me telling her anything you have something special.

I have jailbroken many times over only to go back to the unparalleled smoothness and functionality of the original OS. I can live without the glitchy side of jailbreaking for now.

Many people have already said Android (Droid etc.) is for the geeks out there and the iPhone for the rest of us. Trust me, there are a whole lotta "rest of us" out there than geeks. My mother JUST started using e-mail, it's 2010!
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-15-10 at 10:42 AM.
    01-13-10 08:04 AM
    This is exactly why Apple sells 3 million iPhones in one weekend and everyone else 100,000; point well made. You know when a five year picks up my phone and starts playing with it for almost an hour without me telling her anything you have something special.

I have jailbroken many times over only to go back to the unparalleled smoothness and functionality of the original OS. I can live without the glitchy side of jailbreaking for now.

Many people have already said Android (Droid etc.) is for the geeks out there and the iPhone for the rest of us. Trust me, there are a whole lotta "rest of us" out there than geeks. My mother JUST started using e-mail, it's 2010!
    Thats why for every other device is sold 1,000 iphones are sold, for every phone geek theres 10,000 regular consumers who dont know multitasking and other geek features from a hole in the wall. Its a geek and consumer device that anyone can use.
    01-13-10 07:36 PM
    After seeing what a jailbroken iPhone can do, and what the phone is really capable of. Why does Apple limit it sooo much?

Is there plan to slowly give people one feature at a time with each OS upgrade?

What is the true reason?
    Simply because the phone will be unstable, they add a few features on every os update but each time everything works pretty well...
    01-13-10 07:38 PM
    Simply because the phone will be unstable, they add a few features on every os update but each time everything works pretty well...
    Very well said. It always kills me that people buy it then want it to do more then it does. I say the same thing about blackberry do your homework.
    01-13-10 09:29 PM
    There is a very fine line between geek and general consumer, Apple has it mastered with just enough to satisfy both. Many companies either give you an all inclusive geek phone (Droid) or a dumb phone (Razr). You want to find the pot o gold, find the middle which is easier said than done.
    01-13-10 09:57 PM
    I agree with most of you, Android is way to complex for most individuals. Apple's OS is very simple to use and mixed with great looks and coolness, this is the phone most people will have.
    01-15-10 09:58 AM
    Apple has said its for "security" reasons, but I think its because they just like making everything plain and simple, AKA boring.
    Anyway I was surprised when Apple copied, yes COPIED the hackers that were creating games and there own app store before the official app store even came out.
    And calling the Droid just a geek phone is absurd, just because people use it for more than it was intended makes it in no way just a geek phone. The interface is almost as simple as the iphones, but it isn't locked down to a few certain functionalities unlike the iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 10:52 PM
    Droid Droid Droid.

And I dont know if youre just blind or willfully ignorant but big deal if Apple took design notes from the "hacker" app store. Its happened EVERY day ALL over the industry. What did MS, RIM, Palm, and your precious Google do then?

Take OS and app store ideas from seeing Apple's success!!!

Shocking how there were no app stores on these platforms untill Apple had theirs out and it boomed. Any funny how none of these OSs changed much until iphone OS came out then everyone's magically was brought to like (Web OS and Android) or revamped (RIM, WM).
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-18-10 at 12:43 AM.
    01-18-10 12:09 AM
    jailbreak tools are more gui now, compared to back then when the first iphone came out i remember i had to type in all these commands on the computer and on the phone. Remember when geohot first came out with the hardware unlock for the first iphone? now that was really geek tech. now its a simple app.
    01-18-10 11:20 AM
    Well my point was companies take design cues from eachother ALL the time. Sitting here and claiming Apple stole this or that from the community (NOT copyrighted/patented mind you) is a rediculous accusation when every other manufacturer basically has stolen AT LEAST one design hint or app store hint from Apple (copyrighted/patented mind you). None of them are immune from scrutiny of stealing ideas, so its a very hypocritical accusation.
    01-18-10 12:34 PM
    I hope Apple will introduce iPhone OS 4.0 in January 27th.
    01-20-10 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD