A mate's wife got an iphone4 sent to her from a relative in US, what would her options be to make it work in UK?
    Funny as they're all very religious people but don't have a problem handling stolen goods or from insurance scam.
    But don't miss church any sunday

Anyway, I'd like to help him as I owe him a few favors.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 04:46 AM
    from my understanding, AT&T do not unlock their iPhones so unless you jailbreak it it is pretty useless.
    07-19-11 05:27 AM
    from my understanding, AT&T do not unlock their iPhones so unless you jailbreak it it is pretty useless.
    If you jailbreak it can it still be used with itunes for music and apps?

07-19-11 05:45 AM
    yes, but everytime a new version of iOS comes out and the phone is updated then the phone will need to be jailbroken again.

Without jailbreaking it you will not be able to activate it and use the phone. Your friend may be better off selling it on ebay and buying a UK one.
    07-19-11 05:52 AM
    yes, but everytime a new version of iOS comes out and the phone is updated then the phone will need to be jailbroken again.

Without jailbreaking it you will not be able to activate it and use the phone. Your friend may be better off selling it on ebay and buying a UK one.
    Lol, naw, he's too stingy. Thanks for the help!!

07-19-11 05:53 AM
    Jailbreak it, then unlock it and grab a gevey sim that should get them up and running. Also the phone will only update if they let it. Plugging into iTunes it may say update is available just ignore it. Plus if it's jailbroken they can drop their ssh blobs as a backup.
    07-19-11 07:04 AM
    Jailbreak it, then unlock it and grab a gevey sim that should get them up and running. Also the phone will only update if they let it. Plugging into iTunes it may say update is available just ignore it. Plus if it's jailbroken they can drop their ssh blobs as a backup.
    So jaibreaking it will not unlock it from the network?

07-19-11 07:07 AM
    Nope Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two separate issues. The Gevey sim seems to unlock for you depending on your baseband.
    07-19-11 07:09 AM
    Nope Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two separate issues. The Gevey sim seems to unlock for you depending on your baseband.
    Thanks for the help! One last question as it's starting to sound like too much trouble, will it work just fine as an ipod touch? I might just offer him my spare 9700 for it, I'm up for an upgrade in less then a month anyway.

Edit- also will it work as a GPS if I buy TomTom app? I need a satnav for my wife anyway.

07-19-11 07:19 AM
    Yep the iPhone makes a great iPod when it's fubared.....I am not sure about the GPS part I assume GPS works without the phone being activated but I am not sure.
    07-19-11 07:30 AM
    Yep the iPhone makes a great iPod when it's fubared.....I am not sure about the GPS part I assume GPS works without the phone being activated but I am not sure.
    As far as I remember the TomTom app installs the maps on the device and doesn't need a connection to run. Worth a try. Thanks again.

Although karma is a ***** this same friend bought a lost blackberry pearl from a friend in a fast food shop, more like forgotten, not lost, I did a wipe on it as the contacts were still on it(I did try to convince him to return it) and gave him a spare charger. One night he leaves it in the same fast food shop to charge(he's a taxi driver) and that same night the shop was robbed, you guessed it, taking the blackberry as well. By this stage he was �50 out of pocket.

So I'm not so sure I want it as I know this was claimed as lost or stolen in US and replaced under insurance.

07-19-11 07:41 AM
    Please don't take this the wrong way. But get the phone for a couple of days and use it to the best of it's ability without a Cell connection. Check the browser out and other things we have argued in the past. Then tell me your thoughts......although they will be a little skewed due to no cellular connection but, it may give a little insight to you.
    07-19-11 08:15 AM
    Please don't take this the wrong way. But get the phone for a couple of days and use it to the best of it's ability without a Cell connection. Check the browser out and other things we have argued in the past. Then tell me your thoughts......although they will be a little skewed due to no cellular connection but, it may give a little insight to you.
    Ah, I don't think I'll be able to do that, I think it's either swap or don't swap. But yes, if I do it I will come back and post my honest opinion on it. I do have on thing to say right now about the iphone as i've noticed a friend's frustration this last few days, it's a slow dog on GPRS, almost unusable. No offense but unfortunately I think 3G only covers 30% of the country here, if even that, the rest is 2G, combination of gprs and edge.

However, if I would carry a second device, iphone would be my choice, carrying 2 blackberrys would look stupid

07-19-11 08:27 AM
    Well,

Thats a carrier issue not a phone issue.
    07-19-11 08:33 AM
    You should jailbreak it and get the best nav. App available and save your money. Jail breaking is as easy as going to a website on the phone itself
    07-19-11 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD