It seems like something just intangible. Or, if we look deeper, is there evidence as to why? I find that Apple does a significantly better job with hardware than other manufacturers. Having owned pretty much all the iPhones, different BB's, and a few Android devices, nothing feels as solid in my hands as the iPhone. Am I crazy?
    03-03-11 12:29 PM
    You are not crazy. Apple prides themselves in quality and design. The only other devices that feel remotely close are Nokia devices and IMO some Motorola devices.
    03-03-11 01:12 PM
    Seamless and minimalist designs. Also, their stuff isn't made to feel like plastic. It's like the difference between a pos Glock and a SIG.
    03-03-11 02:12 PM
    Jony Ive designs them.
    03-05-11 11:55 PM
    It seems like something just intangible. Or, if we look deeper, is there evidence as to why? I find that Apple does a significantly better job with hardware than other manufacturers. Having owned pretty much all the iPhones, different BB's, and a few Android devices, nothing feels as solid in my hands as the iPhone. Am I crazy?
    same reasons the choices between these:

compared to:

both are knives, and you can cut a lots of things with the plastic one too.
    03-06-11 01:19 PM
    I think it has to do with a person's expectation also. You expect it to feel right, you expect it do do what it's supposed to, and you expect it to work flawlessly. I'm on my second one, and IMO, it's simply the best of the best.
    03-06-11 02:24 PM
    They look well built, but are poorly suited for their job.

iPhone: a handheld device wrapped in glass, with an antenna exposed to your hand. Result: in the real world you have to carry it in an unsightly case.

iPad and MacBook Pro: the glass screen is heavy for a portable device and is glossy which make it less usable. The aluminum case with sharp edges makes no concessions to hand or wrist ergonomics.

Those are well known criticisms of their designs. What Apple is selling is the idea of design, not good design itself. In other words, it's kitsch made for mass consumer appeal.
    03-06-11 03:36 PM
    I didnt think I was crazy. The materials they use and attention to detail in build quality is next to none in the gadget field right now. Sh*t just feels solid.
    03-06-11 03:52 PM
    They look well built, but are poorly suited for their job.

iPhone: a handheld device wrapped in glass, with an antenna exposed to your hand. Result: in the real world you have to carry it in an unsightly case.

iPad and MacBook Pro: the glass screen is heavy for a portable device and is glossy which make it less usable. The aluminum case with sharp edges makes no concessions to hand or wrist ergonomics.

Those are well known criticisms of their designs. What Apple is selling is the idea of design, not good design itself. In other words, it's kitsch made for mass consumer appeal.
    So basically you'd prefer a plastic feel with creaky keyboards and a trackball that gets dirty and quits working unless you make it a habit of keeping your hands clean before using it?

To each his/her own then...
    03-06-11 06:30 PM
    So basically you'd prefer a plastic feel with creaky keyboards and a trackball that gets dirty and quits working unless you make it a habit of keeping your hands clean before using it?

To each his/her own then...
    I'd like the optimal design for the right price.

The 9700 isn't made of elegant glass and steel, but it also doesn't require a protective case. I can hold it securely thanks to the rubberized back. The iPhone 4 is very slippery.

The flexible plastic screen on the Bold will hold better than the iPhone's glass front when dropped to the curb.

Apple has a line of products sharing the same appearance, even if it makes little sense. The iMac might look great encased in glass and metal while sitting on a desk, but those materials are not as practical in a handheld device that needs to be comfortable to hold and be able to absorb impact.

The build quality of the iPhone 4 is superb, but the OP is asking "What is it about the Apple hardware that makes it feel just right in your hands?". Well, as I just explained, it's very pretty and is superbly finished, but it doesn't feel right in the hand. It has poor ergonomics and a delicate choice of materials considering the abuse handhelds go through daily.

Most iPhone 4s are taken out of the box, admired for the build quality, and then promptly dropped into a rubber case of some kind. So, what's the point?
    03-06-11 06:57 PM
    What does the idea that you may or may not have to put a case on the device have
    to do with the subject of this thread anyway? That's up to the user. For whatever
    reason the person desires.

Yeah, they sell design. It's up to the user to figure out on their own on a case by
    case basis on whether it's a good design or not. Overall, I'd say they've got a pretty
    good rating.
    03-06-11 06:59 PM
    What does the idea that you may or may not have to put a case on the device have
    to do with the subject of this thread anyway? That's up to the user. For whatever
    reason the person desires.

Yeah, they sell design. It's up to the user to figure out on their own on a case by
    case basis on whether it's a good design or not. Overall, I'd say they've got a pretty
    good rating.
    Steve Jobs said that over 80% of iPhone users carry them in a case. Either users don't like the appearance or they worry that the construction won't hold up to daily use.

Unfortunately, Apple's response to this statistic was to make an even more fragile design, and get into the market for cases.
    03-06-11 07:56 PM
    Steve Jobs said that over 80% of iPhone users carry them in a case. Either users don't like the appearance or they worry that the construction won't hold up to daily use.

Unfortunately, Apple's response to this statistic was to make an even more fragile design, and get into the market for cases.
    Again, what does any of that have to do with subject of this thread?
    03-06-11 09:22 PM
    Synth, just because they don't feel comfortable in your hands doesn't mean the same is true for everyone. I for example like the feel of the iP4 in my hands as opposed to either Storm models I had before and way more than the lighter 8k and 9k plastic BB counterparts.

And honestly, the people that I've seen carry and iPhone in a case are the same ones that used to carry their BB in a case as well. It's about personal taste. Think of it as the same as what kind of shoes you wear. Sure, everyone could walk around barefoot, but why?
    03-06-11 10:16 PM
    What is it about Apple hardware that
    makes it feel just right in your hands?

I think that a question about what makes something feel right is too vague and can be taken in various directions.

If by feeling "right" you mean that it's well put together, we know that the current iPhone is very densely and unconventionally built, and is wrapped in materials not common in mass consumer products. These aspects push the luxury button for consumers, even if subconsciously they realize it's impractical and should be put in a more pedestrian case.

My first thought when I held it was that it felt slippery and that there was no obvious way to hold it firmly and comfortably in my hand, due to the straight angles and hard materials.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-11 10:36 PM
    ^^^^ The iPhone wasn't made for boys. lol
    03-06-11 10:48 PM
    In the big scheme of things, I think it's good that Apple is selling many iPhones.

03-06-11 11:12 PM
    The 9700 isn't made of elegant glass and steel, but it also doesn't require a protective case. I can hold it securely thanks to the rubberized back. The iPhone 4 is very slippery.

The flexible plastic screen on the Bold will hold better than the iPhone's glass front when dropped to the curb.
    Maybe you have sweaty or oily hands or something, but none of my iPhones have felt slippery. As for dropping it, I've dropped most of my phones somewhere along the line and I've dropped my i4 onto a parking lot concrete. It looked fine afterwards except for a couple of scratches and nicks on the metal. I haven't dropped my i4 any more than any of my previous phones, so I really don't feel it's any more slipperier than anything thing else.

As for plastic vs. glass screen, give me glass every time. Plastic might survive a drop better than glass, but it scratches like crazy. None of my iPhones have had a single visible scratch, whereas all my plastic screen phones have had dozens if not hundreds of visible scratches and microscratches.

Perhaps your major feature in selecting a phone is drop survivability, but I really don't think it enters most people's decision making process.
    03-07-11 12:32 AM
    Maybe you have sweaty or oily hands or something, but none of my iPhones have felt slippery. As for dropping it, I've dropped most of my phones somewhere along the line and I've dropped my i4 onto a parking lot concrete. It looked fine afterwards except for a couple of scratches and nicks on the metal. I haven't dropped my i4 any more than any of my previous phones, so I really don't feel it's any more slipperier than anything thing else.

As for plastic vs. glass screen, give me glass every time. Plastic might survive a drop better than glass, but it scratches like crazy. None of my iPhones have had a single visible scratch, whereas all my plastic screen phones have had dozens if not hundreds of visible scratches and microscratches.

Perhaps your major feature in selecting a phone is drop survivability, but I really don't think it enters most people's decision making process.
    iphone 4 slippery - Google Search

I'm encouraged to hear from you that I'm the problem and this is not universal. As for the drop survivability, like I said (quoting Steve), over 80% iPhone users shell out for a case.
    03-07-11 01:32 AM
    Just my opinion, but iPhones are well made, easy to use and I don't have to worry that unlike the barrage of android devices hitting the market my iPhone isn't outdated in a couple of months. I'm not an android hater, I liked my Incredible when I had it.

03-07-11 05:19 AM
    Synth, stop acting like a lawyer.
    03-07-11 05:45 AM
    Jony Ive used to be fat and goofy years ago. Then he shaved his head and became muscular.

03-07-11 09:11 AM
    iphone 4 slippery - Google Search

I'm encouraged to hear from you that I'm the problem and this is not universal. As for the drop survivability, like I said (quoting Steve), over 80% iPhone users shell out for a case.
    So you have the number of results in a google search as "evidence"?

I'm sure some people may find it slippery - I never found it slippery at all. So far you certainly haven't provided any real evidence that it is universal - just that you aren't alone.

Did 80% of users shell out for a case or does that include those who got one free because of the antenna issue?

Also, the question I would have is how many people in general buy a case for their phones and how does that compare with the number of those who bought (i.e. paid for and didn't get for free) a case for the iphone?
    03-07-11 10:11 AM
    It also doesn't hurt that iPhone 4 owners were given a case when they bought their phone (or at least were given the option for a free one). If 80% of iPhone users have a case its largely due to the fact that the company gave them out to their users.
    03-07-11 10:30 AM
    ^^^I think it's because all iphones looks the same. Cases are the only way to make them different from one another.
    03-07-11 10:59 AM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD