Google's definition of beta is not what you're probably thinking. Beta, to Google, indicates that the software/service is under constant development (aka: improvement, evolution). Beta doesn't necessarily mean that the product isn't ready for regular use.
    Then what do we call RIM's OS with .0xx leaks every other week?
    04-18-10 06:32 PM
    People dont seem to realize Apple is only 1 year older on the market than Android though. The G1 was released a month or 2 after the iphone 3G, which was 1 year after the iphone was first ever released.

Its not even 3 years for Apple, and on only 1 carrier, which is impressive claiming 25% of the US market.
    I think people need to be a bit more realistic and humble about the fact that Apple is doing very good with the iPhone product. RIM has to make several handsets across several carrier to penetrate a lot of market. Android has run on several different handsets on yet more then just one carrier to penetrate the market. Apple has one carrier (and not even the most popular one at that), one singular model per design series, and one form fact... yet it's been very popular... VERY. In 3 years... YA, you have to be out of your mind to think the iPhone is not successful. lol
    04-18-10 06:33 PM
    While Garnter is a reasonably reliable source, generally speaking, there are still multiple other sources which seem to show different statistics (the pie charts, graphs and articles are posted all over here all the time). Honestly, having looked at so many of these, I walk away confused. Ultimately, I've decided "why do I even care?" Why do I care if iPhone or RIM or Droid sales are up or down, web use is up or down or whatever? I have said, and continue to say, competition is a great thing and we all benefit from it. So, when people get into these rants, I find it a bit laughable because in the end, it really does not matter. iPhone was the first to really take the smart phone to the consumer market and "to them that's there first, will the largest market share go." RIM is a relative newby at this and yes, they're certainly slow with it. Eventually though, they too will step more fully up to the plate and then there will be a crowd, sharing it with the others, but the consumer is the ultimate winner.

Are you hitting the crack pipe too hard? Iphone is the 3rd largest platform WORLDWIDE.

Smartphone Sales Up 24 Percent, iPhone�s Share Nearly Doubled Last Year (Gartner)

The iphone is at 14.5% world makretshare and RIM is at 20%, and HOW much longer has RIM been making phones? In THREE years iphone has gained almost 15% of the world market.

Lets look at growth. From 2008-end of 2009 iphone gained just over 6% marketshare, RIM gained 3.3%, and Nokia dropped about 6%.
    04-18-10 06:34 PM
    I think people need to be a bit more realistic and humble about the fact that Apple is doing very good with the iPhone product. RIM has to make several handsets across several carrier to penetrate a lot of market. Android has run on several different handsets on yet more then just one carrier to penetrate the market. Apple has one carrier (and not even the most popular one at that), one singular model per design series, and one form fact... yet it's been very popular... VERY. In 3 years... YA, you have to be out of your mind to think the iPhone is not successful. lol
    Very true. Imagine if there were 5 different variations of the iPhone.

But anyway, who cares? I like Android and iPhone. Blackberry isn't my cup of tea and neither is Windows, although Windows 7 series does look to be going in the right direction.

If RIM can buy Palm and use WebOS for their software, they will impress me.
    04-18-10 06:36 PM
    Here's the deal the way I see it: iPhone is a fine phone and deserves kudos for all the "firsts" it introduced. It certainly caught my attention the very first time I saw it. I wanted one, BAD. The only thing stopping me was the battery issue (as discussed above) which I detested and, AT&T which I detest even more. Other than that, I think it's a great device that obviously meets the needs of lots and lots of people, but obviously, not everyone. While I loved the display and the touch interface, there were some other things that held me back, just like I don't particularly care for the iMac. Great devices, just not my cup o' soup. Phone sales SHOULD impress you, but they need to be taken with a grain of salt, as they obviously don't give the full picture.

My personal belief is, that the vast majority of users look at a potential phone from a very non-technical perspective. First and foremost to them is the "looks" of the fun (and the iPhone certainly excels in that department, I'll give them that). That's the initial impression for all of us, really and thus, can either excite you or turn you off. Second is basic features. Does the device offer basic features that most everyone wants: phone (obviously), email, internet, games, and to a lesser percentage, utilities. Price of course, for the phone and the subsequent plan charges, is in the mix, but really, there are certainly many people that cannot afford a smart phone, but have one anyway, just because they want one so badly (peer pressure being a HUGE influence with younger people). Only a relatively small percentage look beyond these things to make their decisions based on more detailed examination. So, sales are an indicator of the phone's acceptance in the general populice and if a ton of 'em are sold, and continue to be sold, that has to mean something!
    The same people who laud the iphone and the number of units, are the same people who look at MacDonalds and exclaim sales numbers don't tell the whole story. I agree with you on the battery thing. Not only can I carry around a spare battery but I can put a Seido 2600 ma battery in my S2 should I choose not worrying about a charge for days.

The iphone is not my cup of tea; it's not secure enough; and I only have one paid app that's in almost a year of using a Blackberry. I don't download music, if I need to look at youtube I can do it..although I wish the browser would stream already.

edit - I remember coworker had iphone battery replaced, it definitely cost a couple of bucks, I believe a loaner was made available...thing would not hold a charge.
    Last edited by i7guy; 04-18-10 at 06:55 PM.
    04-18-10 06:37 PM
    For heavy users, an extended battery would be excellent. I have a Droid and an iPhone and have never needed to purchase another battery,etc. for them or any other phone I've had.

But I would really like Apple to implement a replaceable battery in their next iteration of the iPhone. For some reason, I'm doubting that because for them to keep a sealed battery in their phone, it would mean more money for them when people have problems with their iPhones' battery. And of course, they're too controlling.

I like the peace of mind knowing if anything happened to my Droid's battery, I could get it replaced for around $20-$30. While the iPhone has a warranty, I don't feel like getting it replaced and then having to sync everything up again.

Well good thing everyone else I know has never had a problem with the iPhone's battery.
    04-18-10 06:45 PM
    All I know is that I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance switching to sprint...... The cheapest plans no call dropping can travel around the world with my tour ( I've been to 5 countries with no problems with my bb tour ) now the iphone might be going to sprint OH HAPPY DAY !!! Okay so what I can't call and be online at the same time that's causes accidents lol
    04-18-10 06:53 PM
    All I know is that I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance switching to sprint...... The cheapest plans no call dropping can travel around the world with my tour ( I've been to 5 countries with no problems with my bb tour ) now the iphone might be going to sprint OH HAPPY DAY !!! Okay so what I can't call and be online at the same time that's causes accidents lol
    I pay $100/month on Verizon

I can easily afford it though. But I would love my bill to reduce by at least 40%. Don't see that happening though...
    04-18-10 07:00 PM
    @stuaw..

seriously.. why do you care to be here?..(this is actually an honest question, because it beats me)..

I visited today the android forum and the iphone forum and nowhere was there BB fanboys/zealots preaching and dictating to the masses... yet we have you... It appears we are not even allowed to voice our own opinions in our own forum without your flood of biased rhetoric.....

Even when you are proved factually wrong you are not man enough to admit a mistake and call anyone who disagrees with you a BB fanboy.. including myself, who is well on record as admiring android.

This is all over a PHONE and to you it seems a crusade.. I mean... do you consider yourself a missionary and we all need to be saved?.. if so, then let us die in peace for petes sake..
    04-18-10 08:14 PM
    I'm a little confused by this part of your post, they appear to contradict each other...elaborate, please?

Just to be clear on my end, I'm saying that sales are but one part of the story, albeit an important part. You can have the very finest phone in the world..in history, but if you only sell 100 of 'em, what good is it? No cash flow, no support, no support, death of the phone. Sales are also one indicator of popularity and popularity is one indicator of acceptance which means, it has to be doing SOMETHING good or it would never be accepted. It does not, however, say that something else can't do it better. And, in the end, it really doesn't matter if Brand X can do it better, if Brand Y is more popular, for whatever reasons (could just be better marketing as I mentioned earlier) then more power to 'em. What's most important to me is that I have a choice between Brand X, Brand Y and Brand Z. My choice may well be based on not which brand does which thing the best, but which brand gives me the best, overall experience.

It is the children on the playground who scream "Brand Y is better, Brand X sux" that irritate me. Hopefully, they'll grow up someday (though, that may never happen the way it seems, lol).

The same people who laud the iphone and the number of units, are the same people who look at MacDonalds and exclaim sales numbers don't tell the whole story.
    04-18-10 08:15 PM
    It is the children on the playground who scream "Brand Y is better, Brand X sux" that irritate me. Hopefully, they'll grow up someday (though, that may never happen the way it seems, lol).
    +100

Be a far richer competitive environment with iphone on vz and sprint along with htc incredible and evo..
    04-18-10 08:18 PM
    We will never run out of children, only the screen names change.
    04-18-10 08:32 PM
    @stuaw..

seriously.. why do you care to be here?..(this is actually an honest question, because it beats me)..

I visited today the android forum and the iphone forum and nowhere was there BB fanboys/zealots preaching and dictating to the masses... yet we have you... It appears we are not even allowed to voice our own opinions in our own forum without your flood of biased rhetoric.....

Even when you are proved factually wrong you are not man enough to admit a mistake and call anyone who disagrees with you a BB fanboy.. including myself, who is well on record as admiring android.

This is all over a PHONE and to you it seems a crusade.. I mean... do you consider yourself a missionary and we all need to be saved?.. if so, then let us die in peace for petes sake..
    Biased rhetoric?

Because I talked about the iphone and Sprint and the problems with WIMAX popularity?

Because I talked about the battery on the phone and # of charges/spare batteries in a civil discussion with Enegery? (something he/she didnt know about and was glad to learn)

Someone makes a ridiculous comment that people outside dont buy iphones and pointed out world marketshare facts?

Because I made a factual account of how long iphone and Android have been on the market and specs on paper dont mean much?

Where exactly was this "rhetoric" bud? And how is RIM involved that youre so defensive? No ones preaching a dang thing, so stop being so offended over nothing. and last time I checked the title of this thread was IPHONE, so, SHOCKER here I know, people talk about the iphone!

Funny, the only one who seems to be b*tt-hurt here is you about some basic comments that have NOTHING to do with RIM even! the only even indirect mention of RIM was talking about global marketshare which was about Android anyways. OK one little joke about beta OSs because of an ironic statement about Google, but seriously, get a life if youre off your rocker over that

PS QUOTE me where I called ANYONE the word fanboy here, I dare you because it was never said, try a basic thread search. Dont make baseless accusations without proof.

Now, who's the only one who appears to be on any type of crusade here?
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 09:35 PM.
    04-18-10 09:14 PM
    One of the reasons the iphone is doing so well is because of lack of competition, really nothing could hold a candle to the iphone. That was until Android 2.1 and the slew of stable, mature and spec loaded devices set to launch. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc. is going to flood the market with so many Android devices that your head is going to spin.

Why do you think Steve Jobs was so upset at Google's CEO, Jobs knows dam well he had the market cornered if it wasn't for Android.
    04-18-10 09:33 PM
    One of the reasons the iphone is doing so well is because of lack of competition, really nothing could hold a candle to the iphone. That was until Android 2.1 and the slew of stable, mature and spec loaded devices set to launch. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc. is going to flood the market with so many Android devices that your head is going to spin.

Why do you think Steve Jobs was so upset at Google's CEO, Jobs knows dam well he had the market cornered if it wasn't for Android.
    See I dont think that to be the case per say. If what you said was true, the iphone would have seen marketshare loss which Android gained, and that just isnt the case.

I think Android IS stealing Palm and MS and RIM marketshare though, but I dont think theyre per say stealing any iphone users away, or at least not a noticeable amount.

Of course Jobs is worried about any big competitor gaining traction like Android is, thats his job. I still think if they released it on more carriers in the US youd see the market get cornered by Apple
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-18-10 at 09:39 PM.
    04-18-10 09:37 PM
190 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD