Not only the "map for that" ads OBVIOUSLY implying the iphone, but now this low blow dissing the iphone as just another toy:

Verizon takes another swing at AT&T, puts iPhone on the Island of Misfit Toys

Sorry to burst VZW fanboy bubbles, but it AINT coming anytime soon. Think what you want in your own delusional world though as Im sure the replies will show....

Sorry, but just a stitch of common (and business) sense says you dont flat out diss a huge manufacturer if they were getting you the phone this coming year. Not happening despite all these loose Chinese site rumors.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-08-09 at 02:07 PM.
    11-08-09 02:03 PM
    That's funny, when I saw that commercial I saw them questioning why the iphone was there and then they showed the AT&T map. iPhone good AT&T coverage makes it bad.
    11-08-09 02:19 PM
    Well its a clear indication of the traditional "iphone is a toy" lame thinking. Just another low blow by VZW jealous of the iphone's success.
    11-08-09 02:23 PM
    The only problem is, this particular ad is a bad example because it doesn't diss the iPhone at all. In fact, it actually compliments it. The ad is specifically aimed at AT&T and is pretty much right on the money.

Is the iPhone or another Apple phone coming to VZW next year? Only Apple and VZW know the answer to that. What we do know is that Apple and AT&T have a soured relationship and Apple would like nothing more than to get the iPhone on a carrier that can make Apple even more sales. However, we also know that Apple and VZW are both hard headed and negotiating a deal that makes both of them happy is going to be difficult.

Personally, I think (and hope) it's going to happen eventually, but I'm not going to put a date on it and I certainly don't think the rumours floating around now are anything more than that...rumours. First of all, an iPhone with a smaller screen would be a total flop. People like the iPhone because of the large screen. It's not even a very good screen, but it's large and that makes navigation and web surfing nice. a smaller screen would make the iPhone impossible to use without a slide out keyboard and surfing the internet would suck.
    11-08-09 02:31 PM
    I still think its a diss at the iphone putting it in the land of toys. Whats the biggest thing said about the iphone? Its a toy or iToy.

If it wasnt at least partially a shot at iphone they wouldnt keep referring to it in their ads.
    11-08-09 02:34 PM
    Well its a clear indication of the traditional "iphone is a toy" lame thinking. Just another low blow by VZW jealous of the iphone's success.
    I think you're being too sensitive. Having an iPhone 3G, I can honestly say that there was nothing offensive in that ad to me. Actually, I thought it was funny, but then I can't stand AT&T. Love the phone, hate the service...
    11-08-09 02:34 PM
    Its not sensitive its just a phone I couldnt care either way about a piece of electronics.

But if you dont see the motive taking shots at the iphone (and NO other device using this "poorer" network) then I dont know how else to explain it. The first thing that comes to people's minds is iphone - toy/game device. There are PLENTY of other ways to attack 3G without every commercial having an iphone reference.

Its just more mounting evidence that Apple likely wont want to work with VZW if they keep putting down their device with "map for that" and toy shots at it. Ive never seen any other carrier have to take such blatant shots innational TV ads at one device to produce a convincing commercial about their services. Smear campaigns RARELY ever work, nor will it hurt iphone sales one bit- never has, never will.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-08-09 at 02:40 PM.
    11-08-09 02:36 PM
    Its not sensitive its just a phone I couldnt care either way about a piece of electronics.

But if you dont see the motive taking shots at the iphone (and NO other device using this "poorer" network) then I dont know how else to explain it. The first thing that comes to people's minds is iphone - toy/game device. There are PLENTY of other ways to attack 3G without every commercial having an iphone reference.

Its just more mounting evidence that Apple likely wont want to work with VZW if they keep putting down their device with "map for that" and toy shots at it.
    But, the whole idea is that the iPhone doesn't belong in the world of misfit toys. The whole "you're great, you can do this, you can do that, why are you here?" thing tells you that the iPhone isn't there because of it's own flaws. Then the map pops up and it's "oh, I get it now!" I thought it was classic!

I don't think there's anything VZW could do in their ads to keep Apple from wanting to get a phone on their network. Apple knows there's TONS of money to be made at VZW. The problem always was and maybe always will be that both companies are fighting over who controls the phone and how it operates. AT&T was easy for Apple, they just said "OK, whatever you want, just get us the phone so we can get more customers and keep from going bankrupt." VZW isn't like that, they don't want the manufacturer controlling everything.
    11-08-09 02:44 PM
    But, the whole idea is that the iPhone doesn't belong in the world of misfit toys. The whole "you're great, you can do this, you can do that, why are you here?" thing tells you that the iPhone isn't there because of it's own flaws. Then the map pops up and it's "oh, I get it now!" I thought it was classic!

I don't think there's anything VZW could do in their ads to keep Apple from wanting to get a phone on their network. Apple knows there's TONS of money to be made at VZW. The problem always was and maybe always will be that both companies are fighting over who controls the phone and how it operates. AT&T was easy for Apple, they just said "OK, whatever you want, just get us the phone so we can get more customers and keep from going bankrupt." VZW isn't like that, they don't want the manufacturer controlling everything.
    Very much agreed. Would be interesting to see possible software differences if Apple compromised with VZW.
    11-09-09 10:25 AM
    Love the iPhone and have excellent 3g fast service where I'm at. Yes I do see VZW dissing BOTH Apple and At&t in that commercial.. So long VZW..
    11-09-09 10:52 AM
    I own a 3gS and love it, besides the lack of alert customization. I completely hate AT&T and it killed me to go back to them, after they screwed me before, just to have this phone. You people are over reacting. Pay attention to the commercials. Like was stated earlier, the misfit toys were complimenting the iPhone on all the great things it can do and asks why it was sent there. AT&T's lame 3g map pops up to give the reason. If anything, they are showing apple that their phone will be well loved on their much more superior network. AT&T can try their little hearts out to push this "fastest 3g network" B.S. but in the end, how can you justify that your service sucks in the nations biggest city. That is just pathetic. Apple will go to Verizon and it will be a match made in heaven.
    11-09-09 11:11 AM
    I definitely think VZW is shooting themselves in the foot with all these ads towards the iPhone & AT&T.. no doubt they are quite jealous.
    11-09-09 11:34 AM
    Of course theyre jealous, ATT has sold millions of these and no VZW phone can close to those numbers in sales. All the money the dropped into the Droid and you havent heard it sold even close to million units over the weekend (its inaugural weekend).

You can interpret the commercial however you please but its lip service to the people saying they compliment the iphone- more of a mocking tone. Its clearly a shot of Apple, maybe less so than ATT, but believe it or not ATT does carry other models of phones. Theyve chosen to target the iphone solely in their 3 map commercials for a reason. Recognizable, sure, but any phone with ATT branded on it would make the map point.
    11-09-09 11:51 AM
    That's why we have the droid now (love mine). Why does att still have "nations fastest 3g network" on there commercials.
    11-09-09 11:56 AM
    People will have their own opinion of everything, just like I have my own opinion. From my perspective, having a masters in Marketing, and my perspective only, Verizon is hitting AT&T where it hurts. Their main revenue is the iPhone and the most popular phone on the market is currently in a contract with that carrier. It is showing that the only reason people are with that carrier is because of the popularity of that phone and the phone, which they never actually ever talk down the phone, is only as good as the network it is on. I don't understand how people can't see this. At no time in any of Verizon's commercials does it put down the iPhone. The only one that does is the Droid commercial and that is more of a Google/Motorola commercial than a Verizon one. And Google and Apple don't see eye to eye as you know. I might be biased too because I have been screwed by AT&T and was with Verizon for 5 happy years without a complaint. I switched because thats all my wife has wanted was this phone for years. I agree. The phone is freakin awsome, but it needs to go to Verizon and I will be happy again.
    11-09-09 12:29 PM
    The difference, as you pointed out correctly, is people want the iphone and will get the iphone regardless. No matter how much VZW pokes ATT, people are STILL going to get the iphone in masses.

So the question is are they wasting money with these numerous ads poking at ATT and mentioning the iphone, or should they be more concerned about selling their own phones and trying to get some decent sales numbers.... Ive seen 1 total Storm 2 ad (version of the ad, not # of times run) and the 1 "drop date" Android one but doesnt even show the Droid.

Instead of slinging mud, maybe try promoting the strengths of your own materials? Theyre certainly not going to slow the iphone down simply because the phone is the most popular thing out right now and ATT is the only place you can get it. By that logic, the map means nothing because the driving force is the device. So people are still going to be signing up with ATT in then end, commercials or not.

Look at the last quarter, ATT sold something like just over 3 million iphones, 40% of which were new activations. Thats a staggering number of new customers from one phone, who couldnt care less about the map. The mud slinging by VZW will only get them so far in this scenario.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-09-09 at 12:47 PM.
    11-09-09 12:43 PM
    The only one that does is the Droid commercial and that is more of a Google/Motorola commercial than a Verizon one.
    That is ALL Verizon.. pay attention to the end of the commercial.. VERIZON!

iWishiHadAniPhone Commerical

This is the official Verizon youbnoobtube.. search idon't within it on the right bar. iDon't see Google or Motorola anywhere.. just Verizon at the very very end.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-09-09 at 03:02 PM.
    11-09-09 02:40 PM
    I believe with at&t's exclusiveness running out next year Apple is shopping around and big red would be the choice if for nothing else due to their size. I've also read VZW getting an iphone lite type phone. Put this together and the images found online with a 2.8" screen and it appears something is in the works.

We'll see if I'm right. If so I think it's a bad call with the 2.8" screen. Myself using an ipod touch couldn't see it with a smaller screen. It couldn't have a portrait keyboard (or least not a decent one).

As much I love my berry, it's the carrier that prohibits even considering the iphone.
    11-09-09 09:03 PM
    The 2.8" screen picture for the "rumor" was shown last year as a rumored iphone nano. Same lame rumor same lame leak that didnt come true. So they arent exactly spot on credible source reharshing old pics as new rumor over again.
    11-09-09 10:29 PM
    After really looking at the commercials, they haven't been "dissing" the iPhone IMO. It's more of an attack on AT&T and their insufficient (according to Verizon) network. It didn't say the iPhone had crappy apps and such, but said 3G coverage was bad.

I think Verizon may actually be doing the opposite with these commercials... giving Apple another reason to want to open the iPhone up to more carriers.
    11-09-09 11:42 PM
    I have a difficult time seeing Apple allowing Verizon to put anything on the iPhone. There's not a single carrier reference when you get an iPhone, no logo, no splash screen, no pre-installed apps AT&T are trying to pimp.

I'd be stunned if Apple allowed Verizon to add all their crap to the phone.

As to the commercials... yes, Verizon is poking fun at AT&T's coverage.... but their using the iPhone as the central image. Fairly sure that kind of negative product placement pisses Steve Jobs off.

I totally see them dangling the carrot to Verizon and then letting AT&T get the final bid with some concessions to expand the network coverage.

And yes, I know that putting the iPhone on Verizon would be good ($$$) for Apple, but when has Apple done anything for the sake of making a buck?
    11-10-09 08:13 AM
    ^ good point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 08:15 AM
    I hear Apple is going to dump ATT and go with Boost Mobile and Criket.
    11-10-09 08:38 AM
    I agree that Apple is not out there to make a quick buck. Apple also does not want to hear all the complaints about how their phone reception and 3g service is horrid. New York is the larges city in the US and you mean to tell me that if I live in the largest city in the US or have to go there for business, which millions of people have to, that my iPhone will suck. Not acceptable. I can see it not working in the back roads of Arkansas but not NYC or SF. As I said before, and had been stated after me, Verizon is using the iPhone because i is AT&T's biggest seller and showing consumers, and Apple themselves, that the phone is a great device but it can only as much as the network will allow it to do. Verizon has been releasing phones like mad lately and they are on a mission to build up their weakness of poor phone selection. The have the consumer share, now they have to keep them happy and wanting more. It's publicly known that Apple is tired of AT&T and I think the big wigs can sit at their fancy oak tables and hash things out to make the "match made in heaven" happen.
    11-10-09 08:39 AM
    People will have their own opinion of everything, just like I have my own opinion. From my perspective, having a masters in Marketing, and my perspective only, Verizon is hitting AT&T where it hurts. Their main revenue is the iPhone and the most popular phone on the market is currently in a contract with that carrier. It is showing that the only reason people are with that carrier is because of the popularity of that phone and the phone, which they never actually ever talk down the phone, is only as good as the network it is on. I don't understand how people can't see this. At no time in any of Verizon's commercials does it put down the iPhone. The only one that does is the Droid commercial and that is more of a Google/Motorola commercial than a Verizon one. And Google and Apple don't see eye to eye as you know. I might be biased too because I have been screwed by AT&T and was with Verizon for 5 happy years without a complaint. I switched because thats all my wife has wanted was this phone for years. I agree. The phone is freakin awsome, but it needs to go to Verizon and I will be happy again.
    Truth. Once the iPhone goes multi-carrier and especially if its CDMA/GSM and Verizon and especially if Sprint gets it, ATT can kiss their behinds good bye. They are going to bleed customers at the rate Sprint has the past two years. If back in 2007 the iPhone launched on Verizon instead of ATT, ATT would be where Sprint is right now.
    11-10-09 09:47 AM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD