Hi all,

I don't post much because using search I usually find an answer to my questions. I also don't use my phone to the extreme others do. I have a Storm 2 and it does everything I need it to do. I guess I've been fortunate not to have problems like so many others.

I'm posting this becaues possibly there are others who use their phone like me and may find interest in my thoughts...

I primarily use the phone for (in order of importance to me): email for work, phone calls, texting, instant messaging (yahoo), internet. The only add-on apps I have are: google maps, google mobile, and the game pixelated. What's also important to me is being able to change to a larger font to compensate for my aging eyes

I've tried a couple Andriods (Eris & Pro) but for me, they offer too much. My son, age 22, has the Incredible and loves it. He's always telling me, "But Dad, there's so many apps and games. You can do anything and everything!" Well, I'm 53 and don't want my phone to do everything! I don't need to shake my phone and watch a flame appear on a lighter... I can't help but shake my head and wonder why?

Along comes the Verizon iPhone hype. I figure what the heck and order one. I've had the iPhone for 2 days:

Font size: Fonts size can be increased for Contacts, Mail, Messages, and Notes. Unfortunately the font size can not be changed in Yahoo Messenger. Yes, I know that's a Yahoo limitation not Apples.

Email: Set up was straight forward and I get my emails from the MS Exchange server. It is very easy to mass delete (tap Edit, tap on the emails, tap on delete) or delete one email (swipe from left to right, tap delete). Using Email is very intuitive.

Phone: Phone calls are very clear. Phone calls are very easy to make. From contacts just tap the phone number.

Texting: Seeing text messages in bubbles is different. I haven't figured out yet if I can display them in a list. There is no text message notification receipt and this is something I repy on.

Instant Messaging: Other than not being able to change font size, Yahoo messenger works as expected.

Internet: Wow! Browsing is much much better than on my storm. I love the pinch zoom/unzoom. I can actually watch videos ... I'm impressed!

Typing (tap versus surepress) has not been a problem for me. Positioning curser within text (tap) is very accurate.

Now for my dislikes:

Notifications are limited and I miss the LED. I can only select sounds for Ringtone and Text Tone. I also don't like how notification that I received a new text message pops up on the screen (maybe I haven't figured out how to stop that).

Non-removable battery. I don't think I'm going to like this. With my Storm, I have 2 batteries and switch when needed because some days it's impossible for me to charge my phone.

As mentioned above, I wish there was a text message receipt notification.

Over all I'm pretty impressed with the iPhone. I'm not sure yet if the battery life will suffice. At 7am the battery was 100%. I used the phone pretty heavily throughout the day and at 11:00pm the battery was at 18%.

My dislikes may seem petty but they are things I've learned to rely on. The rumored Blackberry Monaco, Storm successor, has my interest but I believe that's not slated to be released until Q3 of this year. Then there's also the rumor of the iPhone 5 coming to Verizon this June...

As of right now, I don't feel there is any significant advantage for me to switch from my Storm 2 to the iPhone 4, but I'm going to use the iPhone 4 for another week and see if I can live with the inconveniences.

Storm 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Monaco...what a quandary!
    02-10-11 11:23 AM
    your experience is similar to my wife. she gave up her BB a year ago for iPhone4.
    She struggled a bit for a week but once she got comfortable and got to 'steady state' she was fine. Now after one year she said she will never go back to BB. (her choice not mine)

If you fight through the first week you are 95% there....
    02-10-11 12:22 PM
    I agree, there is a learning curve and a period of adjustment. Give yourself a couple of weeks, it will grow on you daily. It does the things it's supposed to and does them all VERY well.
    02-10-11 01:14 PM
    Add me pls to experience bbm 22A6C8A3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 01:23 PM
    I had a first gen. Storm that I got in Nov. 2008. I got the iPhone on Monday and I would never ever go back. That Sure Type is enough of a reason. The slow browser another. The lack of cool apps... another. BTW, I'm older than you .. 62.

The only thing I liked better on the Storm was the ability to have different notification tones for each email account. I have several accounts and only one is for real people to contact me, so if I would hear that tone, I'd stop and get the email. (The others are for purchases, forum notifications, etc.) But that is the only thing that bothers me and there are just too many wonderful things about the iPhone for me to ever look in the direction of BB again.
    02-10-11 03:15 PM
    Notifications are limited and I miss the LED. I can only select sounds for Ringtone and Text Tone. I also don't like how notification that I received a new text message pops up on the screen (maybe I haven't figured out how to stop that).
    Hi there. I'm following iPhone threads in case I decide to make the jump. (Tho am I loving my Bold more as time goes by. )

Am I understanding correctly, the iPhone has no LED alerts like BB? And they only give you audible alerts for calls and texts, so there's basically nothing for new email, appointments, missed calls, etc? So say you get a new email or missed a call, there is nothing at all to alert you - you have to just keep checking the phone? (I really hope I'm misinterpreting because not having alerts seems very backward.)
    02-10-11 03:37 PM
    That is one thing keeping me from the iPhone 4. I hope some system is in place with 5, but often I am in bio lectures that can extend 3 hours. A vibrating phone wont cut it. I use a droid x because I can kill it, and set it on my desk at lecture time, and see if I miss something important. Come on apple, I love my pod, and I am getting the new mac book air. Love a drive-less computer, and 7 hours for a laptop is phenomenal! Go Apple, android is getting so huge it is disgusting, and I think apple is looking mighty hip, ha ha!
    02-10-11 11:16 PM
    Thank you to those of you who have posted words of encouragement ... I'm still trying to like this iPhone...

Regarding notifications,

There are audible alerts for Text, New Voicemail, New Mail, Sent Mail, and Calendar Alerts. The only option you have for those alerts are On or Off. You can not change the audible alert sound.

There is a switch on the side of the phone that allows you to put the phone in silent mode. You can also turn Vibrate on or off.

When I get a new text message, I get a popup saying, "Sender Name Text Message". Other than a sound, that is the only notification. The popup disappears after about 15 seconds. So, if I miss the notification, I have no way of knowing there is a new message unless I check the phone. I do not like the popup! When I'm in a meeting, I have my phone (storm) on the table in front of me. When the LED flashes I know I received a new email / text message. I can then look to see if it is important or not... in privacy. With the popup, the person next to me can see who messaged me. Have I said I don't like that?

I turned on all alerts and let my phone go into sleep mode:

New Email: screen stayed black, sound played . Had I not heard the sound, I would not know I had a new email.

Text Msg: Popup displayed new message, sound played. I have the repeat alert option set to On. After about 1 minute I got the same notification. I was notified 1 more time.

Phone Call: Phone rang, vibrated and showed I had an incoming call. Ignoring the call the phone then displayed Phone Number Missed Call and then the screen went back to black state. I was not notified again that I had missed a call.

The other thing I don't like is when I send a text message, the phone makes this vroom sound and I can't figure out how to make it so there's no sound when I send a text.

In my opinion, Blackberry, with ability to create custom profiles, is far superior when it comes to notification options.
    02-11-11 09:30 AM
    I have to agree that the notification system on BB is MUCH better then the Iphones.
    But to be honest i don't really care... BB had a way to make things seem more important.. i get an email and felt the need to look at my phone ASAP and reply. 24/7 getting BBM's 89% of those 0 importance ( Most things could have waited till the morning to get in the office)

I enjoy no led, i like not having it flash every freaking second ( I get a lot of email and IM's)

To be honest I can't think of a lot of people that need to be notified ASAP of something... maybe tech guys ... i like knowing my tech guy is on it right way.

I enjoy looking at my phone when I want to look at my phone not when it tells me to look at it. If someone is that important that they need all 200 daily email ASAP then chances are your on your phone 24/7....so you don't need to be notified ..your already in the mail App lol
    Last edited by TheBBman; 02-11-11 at 10:41 AM.
    02-11-11 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD