I talked to guy today whose sister works for foxconn. He told me they are making 1 million iPhones per month. Can't wait for BB 10 lauch to hopefully silence BB doubters.
    Odd seeing as they sell now sell 30 odd million per quarter.

Q1 37,044,000
    Q2 35,100,000
    Q3 26,000,000
    Q4 We shall see
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-13-12 at 07:37 AM.
    09-13-12 07:34 AM

Q1 37,044,000
    Q2 35,100,000
    Q3 26,000,000
    Q4 We shall see
    And there you go with those pesky facts! :-P
    09-13-12 08:37 AM
    Update to my post... I nearly fell over yesterday when my husband told me he is actually seriously going to consider the Galaxy SIII! He's going to compare the iphone 5 and the SIII when he can hold both in his hands and make a decision. And what's more important to him is Stanza - he reads a lot of ebooks on his iphone 3G right now and they are an absolute must for him. I told him Android has some nice e-readers. He's already thinking he could live with the iTunes/apps issue if need be. I kept on bringing up reasons why he might want to stay with iphone... he gave me ways he could workaround or live without them. Whoa! I showed him the very helpful link below - thanks again.

Interesting. I wonder how many others will use the iphone5 as a reason to switch to Android.haha.

iTunes & Android: What Works and What Doesn't
    09-13-12 11:51 AM
    Interesting. I wonder how many others will use the iphone5 as a reason to switch to Android.haha.

Hopefully not as many as will use the iPhone 5 as an excuse to check out BlackBerry 10, as I'm certain there are more current iPhone users that are former BlackBerry users that might look at RIM if the product is solid and as beautiful as an iPhone, then iPhone users who would look to Android.

Don't get me wrong, Samsung is a different story, as people who use iPhones see Samsung (no android) as a legit competitor.

But people left RIM for Apple because they wanted to be a part of the trend. But they also want the quality hardware and premium brand image and the polished and consistent user experience. Android doesn't offer a polished consistent user experience and isn't a premium brand. Samsung is the premium brand, and touchwiz is the experience. Only Google services are consistent across Android devices. Samsung also has a really spotty track record for updates. RIM is taking that page from Apple and will update BB 10 themselves. That will create a completely different user experience with their products going forward. As long as the BlackBerry brand isn't tarnished beyond repair in the consumers mind, then RIM has a real shot with BB 10 of reclaiming lost market share back from Apple as long as they deliver on the experience, stay AHEAD of the curve on hardware, and manage updates better. IF RIM can outdo Apple in all these areas (and with BB 10 they have the potential) then they also can come back to their former glory. They just have to deliver and then convince people like your friends that they aren't going out of business.
    09-13-12 12:20 PM
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with the bigger screen, and my wife has a 4s. She likes my phone's screen and I like hers, which is pretty funny. Not everyone likes the bigger phone, and the iPhone screen is very high quality (as is mine). Sounds like the new "bigger yet smaller" iPhone5 just refines and improves an already excellent phone. I've said it before, but those clamoring for BB10 don't seem to get the big picture: when people decide on a phone, they are looking for a PHONE, not some obscure operating system. Touchscreen phones are favored by the regular folks. Keyboard phone are for the business email folks. And BB hasn't put out a decent touchscreen phone ever. And that my friends is why they are in serious trouble. This has zero to do with the straw man BB10. Hardware.
    09-13-12 12:35 PM
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with the bigger screen, and my wife has a 4s. She likes my phone's screen and I like hers, which is pretty funny. Not everyone likes the bigger phone, and the iPhone screen is very high quality (as is mine). Sounds like the new "bigger yet smaller" iPhone5 just refines and improves an already excellent phone. I've said it before, but those clamoring for BB10 don't seem to get the big picture: when people decide on a phone, they are looking for a PHONE, not some obscure operating system. Touchscreen phones are favored by the regular folks. Keyboard phone are for the business email folks. And BB hasn't put out a decent touchscreen phone ever. And that my friends is why they are in serious trouble. This has zero to do with the straw man BB10. Hardware.
    These days the trend seems to be the ecosystem that is most important above all else. this, unfortunately does not bode well for new entrants like BB 10. People want the established ecosystem with all the apps, services and integration with other products they use regularly.

The phone is secondary. The iPhone is was and always will be among the very worst PHONES on the market. It has some crazy antenna system that drops calls if you touch the wrong spot. It has never had a reputation for maintaining signal well. So no, it's not the phone.

The torch 9860 is actually a really good fast responsive touch screen phone. It just got over looked because of the poor marketing decision to call it a Torch which is synonymous with slider in the mind of the consumer and it got no marketing push at all.

The next all touch screen phone, the BB 10 L-Series will have your big high quality screen, great design, top notch specs and the awesome reception that BlackBerry has ALWAYS been known for. So if you care more about the PHONE then the OS and you want a high quality display on an all touch device, BB 10 should be among your most anticipated new products.

But since you have no clue what you're talking about, please continue to enjoy your dropped calls on your iPhone and your Samsung that you bought cause they are the trendy Android company. Even you don't care about the PHONE, and your choices in phones prove it.
    09-13-12 02:22 PM
    These days the trend seems to be the ecosystem that is most important above all else. this, unfortunately does not bode well for new entrants like BB 10. People want the established ecosystem with all the apps, services and integration with other products they use regularly.

The phone is secondary. The iPhone is was and always will be among the very worst PHONES on the market. It has some crazy antenna system that drops calls if you touch the wrong spot. It has never had a reputation for maintaining signal well. So no, it's not the phone.

The torch 9860 is actually a really good fast responsive touch screen phone. It just got over looked because of the poor marketing decision to call it a Torch which is synonymous with slider in the mind of the consumer and it got no marketing push at all.

The next all touch screen phone, the BB 10 L-Series will have your big high quality screen, great design, top notch specs and the awesome reception that BlackBerry has ALWAYS been known for. So if you care more about the PHONE then the OS and you want a high quality display on an all touch device, BB 10 should be among your most anticipated new products.

But since you have no clue what you're talking about, please continue to enjoy your dropped calls on your iPhone and your Samsung that you bought cause they are the trendy Android company. Even you don't care about the PHONE, and your choices in phones prove it.
    Please continue to wait for your inferior BB10 device. It will be released, someday.HAHAHA
    09-13-12 02:34 PM
    Heard this song before. Twice actually. Coincided with the release of two products. The 3GS and the 4S.
    pri79269 likes this.
    09-13-12 03:28 PM

Never had an issue with my work cell: iPhone 4S, that I traded for a newer device: Samsung G lll. Both are awesome devices that to my knowledge never claimed to be a BlackBerry. Also, RIM effed up the marketing for OS 7 devices after proclaiming that not only will these devices be the end of an era, but, you may want to wait for BB10s. So ppl stayed away like Vampires from garlic. Now what? Like dead air space on the radio, nothing new is out, and current lineup is not selling that great....in the US. So, seems you may be the one making the "bassackwards" statement and clueless.....especially the part about the 9810 - which is an awesome. LOL. I always love. It when some want to talk up "unreleased" devices while talking down the current ones. Also, this from someone that loves BlackBerries....Me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-13-12 04:07 PM

The antenna problem with the iPhone was fixed years ago. No dropped calls now. I had a BB Storm for about 2 weeks. I wanted to like it. It was horrible, a POS. It is about the PHONE for me. The Torch is hardly a quality touchsceen phone. The Samsung GN is all about the great screen. The fact of the matter is that smartphone people upgrade about every 2 years, and when it was time to upgrade my BB 8900 there was no BB touchscreen phone worth squat, and I wanted a touchscreen. So I went HTC, the Samsung. BB lost me and many others. I wanted to wait for the Apple TV, but mine needed replacing. I didn't have time to wait for Apple TV. So I bought a Samsung 8000 series 65" set that just was released for $3500. I don't have time to wait for BB to release a modern phone and OS either. They've delayed this thing for over a year and it's still a year away (maybe more). What more can I say. Their phones are old, their OS is ancient, and they got no apps. That's a losing combination in this biz. They are now known as the businessman's emial keyboard phone, and that's pretty much their lot in life. My 2 friends with BBs just use them for work, iPhones for play.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 09-13-12 at 04:18 PM.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-13-12 04:12 PM

Q1 37,044,000
    Q2 35,100,000
    Q3 26,000,000
    Q4 We shall see
    Still have to factor how many are sold as replacement for broken screens as iphone users all seem to complain about how many times their screens broke or cracked. So if you figure each user on a three year contract may be on their second or third phone, doesn't mean total of users buying 1 each. Impressive but not accurate. Only the phone companies may have that info and apple would NEVER release how many were prone to breakage. Looking at the hardware, funny to see how behind they are to Samsung. Might be the peak and the slope is starting.
    09-13-12 04:33 PM
    Still have to factor how many are sold as replacement for broken screens as iphone users all seem to complain about how many times their screens broke or cracked. So if you figure each user on a three year contract may be on their second or third phone, doesn't mean total of users buying 1 each. Impressive but not accurate. Only the phone companies may have that info and apple would NEVER release how many were prone to breakage. Looking at the hardware, funny to see how behind they are to Samsung. Might be the peak and the slope is starting.
    C'mon, man. C'mon. LOL.
    09-13-12 04:38 PM
    Absolutely, my wife's iPhone screen cracks like every 2 months. My son's too. They just wake up in the morning and it's cracked. Maybe that's why they drop every single phone call too. Or could that be antennagate?
    09-13-12 05:23 PM
    Update to my post... I nearly fell over yesterday when my husband told me he is actually seriously going to consider the Galaxy SIII! He's going to compare the iphone 5 and the SIII when he can hold both in his hands and make a decision. And what's more important to him is Stanza - he reads a lot of ebooks on his iphone 3G right now and they are an absolute must for him. I told him Android has some nice e-readers. He's already thinking he could live with the iTunes/apps issue if need be. I kept on bringing up reasons why he might want to stay with iphone... he gave me ways he could workaround or live without them. Whoa! I showed him the very helpful link below - thanks again.

Well if that helped, maybe this one will too

How To Switch To Android - Business Insider
    09-13-12 05:48 PM
    Never had an issue with my work cell: iPhone 4S, that I traded for a newer device: Samsung G lll. Both are awesome devices that to my knowledge never claimed to be a BlackBerry. Also, RIM effed up the marketing for OS 7 devices after proclaiming that not only will these devices be the end of an era, but, you may want to wait for BB10s. So ppl stayed away like Vampires from garlic. Now what? Like dead air space on the radio, nothing new is out, and current lineup is not selling that great....in the US. So, seems you may be the one making the "bassackwards" statement and clueless.....especially the part about the 9810 - which is an awesome. LOL. I always love. It when some want to talk up "unreleased" devices while talking down the current ones. Also, this from someone that loves BlackBerries....Me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    When did I say anything about the 9810? Other then the statement that the Torch brans is synonymous with the 9800/9810 sliders which did nothing to help the Torch 9860/50 (the one I was talking about) get noticed, I did not mention the 9810. I have one though, I love it and it's a great phone. The 9860 though is also a great touch screen phone with a very beautiful high res screen and is perhaps the most comfortable phone ever made to hold in landscape.

I personally don't think the virtual keyboard on it is all that bad, and I think OS 7.1 is actually a really decent OS.
    09-13-12 06:03 PM
    Other then the statement that the Torch brans is synonymous with the 9800/9810 sliders which did nothing to help the Torch 9860/50 (the one I was talking about) get noticed, I did not mention the 9810.
    I personally don't think the virtual keyboard on it is all that bad, and I think OS 7.1 is actually a really decent OS.
    This is what got my attention. My Bad. You're right, I should have posted 9800/9810 because you implied that the 9860 should have been called something other than a Torch named for these two devices in the series. I just disagree. A bigger disaster would have been putting it in the Storm series. IMHO, the only thing wrong with the Torch is the specs on the 9810 should have been in the original 9800, limited marketing, and RIM assuming that the BOLD 9900(that we waited a few years and different name changes prior to it being released) was going to be a "sleeping giant" until BB10s are released. Again, more time was spent boasting about BB10s as opposed to talking up OS7 devices and now, some members have moved on or trying to wait for BB10 and not buying OS7.
    I also had no problem with the virtual keyboard on either device. Both had their share of issues, but, I can't name a BlackBerry after the 8310 that hasn't had some technical issues. Nothing personal. But, this device, has gotten a sh2tty rap, very few themes and like the other OS7 devices, limited apps. I still think it is one of the better BlackBerries that has been released. Just bad timing.
    09-13-12 09:51 PM
    Music is no reason to hold back as iTunes music is DRM free. As for the apps, if they have an iPad, most iPhone apps will also run on the iPad, and it is likely that she has not used most of those apps in a long time. Still, those handful of apps that are used on a regular basis can add up, and it really does create an exit barrier.
    i have 20 ps3 games witch is about 1000$ i want to change to xbox i have to sell the games on discount, witch is a lot of work, and then buy them on for the xbox, i witch case i would have to pay full price for them again, now tell me why is it changing phone platforms so hard, and is always good to have the opportunity to try new apps.

so you need to take that app wall down...
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK30k2WTxY0[/YT]
    09-13-12 10:33 PM
    i have 20 ps3 games witch is about 1000$ i want to change to xbox i have to sell the games on discount, witch is a lot of work, and then buy them on for the xbox, i witch case i would have to pay full price for them again, now tell me why is it changing phone platforms so hard, and is always good to have the opportunity to try new apps.

so you need to take that app wall down...
    Switching ain't that easy.

Learning a new OS isn't that heard (IMHO). Discounting personal likes and dislikes, if one wants to, I think they can adjust to OSes. For me, the big decision came down o productivity. Moving from Palm to BB, and then BB on to Android taught me the importance of cross-platform applications, so I try to use applications that won't chain me to any one platform AND have some cloud functionality for accessibility from other terminals in a pinch.

I rely on specific apps, and for some, multiple apps of the same type. I expect apps that are fully functional and available on all platforms. Thankfully, a good portion of the apps I use now are carried over from my BB days, but there are several not yet available on BB, which makes switching back something to think about. Moving to any other OS would be an expensive proposition (consider too that it seems that BB apps tend to be more expensive).

I also use my phone for media too, and we know the issues there. I like access to the Media Apps I Dare Not Mention. The music player I use is Android-only. GPS.

Then you have hardware and such. NFC I don't use much, but I like having it. DLNA + XMBC. Heck, I like having the flashlight. Factor in things I don't like on other platforms (like DM and iTunes) which are clearly useful to others, and you have some of my major reasons.

Having said that, none of these things are insurmountable if I really want to move, but I like my current platform, and there has to be a compelling, cost-effective reason for me to change my daily driver, since I rely on it so much. I am very well invested in my current ecosystem, so I am more willing to work to stay in it.

There is a nugget for RIM: give people an ecosystem to invest in. They have pieces (BBM, the physical keyboard), but I think adding more pieces and refining the ones that already exist will be key.
    09-13-12 11:06 PM
    Here's how it works. If you break the glass, let's say the back glass on an iPhone 4/4S, you take it to the Apple Store, and they will replace the back glass on your phone for $30. If you break the front screen, they will charge you $200 and give you a replacement phone. They don't do front screen replacements at the store. There have been many cases where broken screens have been replaced free of charge depending on mitigating circumstances. Actually, if there's any problem not covered by warranty (water damage), or out of warranty, you can just pay the Apple Store $200 and they will give you a replacement phone. Battery replacements are $80. Nobody buys 2-3 iPhones unless they lose them or want extras.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-15-12 at 06:03 AM.
    09-15-12 05:58 AM
    Basically, it's a pain in the arse. Let's say I get a new iPhone, I log into iCloud, and it literally puts everything back the way my previous phone used to be. I had to replace my 4S because I lost a bet and had to drop it off my 20th floor hotel room. When I got my replacement, it was like I literally got my old phone back with the exception of ringtones and movies. I use iTunes Match so music was the same. All photos, all apps, and all settings were returned to their previous state. When I get an iPhone 5, it will be the same. If I were to switch to Android, I'd have to set up everything all over again.

Now, I understand there are some people who find great enjoyment in playing for endless hours with phone settings, downloading apps, loading new OSes, and things of that nature. In the same way, I understand there are some people who enjoy building their own computers, constantly reloading their Windows with different configs anytime something starts slowing down a little so they can get every potential frame from their "rig" for their favorite first person shooter. As I understand it, the diehards don't even install things like anti-virus or firewalls because they take up valuable memory and CPU cycles, just Windows and the one game. I enjoy neither of these activities. I get the feeling most people are like me, or else companies like Apple, HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc., etc., would all be out of business and we'd all be building our own computers. BTW, in Shenzhen China, there's a huge complex where you can buy anything for DIY computers, and it's a really popular hobby.

I kind of prefer my stuff to not take up too much of my time setting the stuff up and whatnot, so I buy iPhones and laptop computers. I don't even want to bother setting up a desktop computer, I actually have one (a quad core thing with a 24" monitor) that's sitting in a corner of my den because I don't feel like drilling a new hole into the wall for a ethernet cable and haven't bothered to buy a wireless usb thing. Again, I think most people are like me, since laptops outsell desktops by a wide margin.
    09-15-12 06:33 AM

Hmmm...... I guess you never heard of antenna diversity that the iPhone has had since the Verizon iPhone 4. Here's the relevant info from Anandtech.

AnandTech - Apple iPhone 4S: Thoroughly Reviewed

And FYI, since I've had the 4S, I haven't dropped a single call in my home area. I did however drop a couple of calls in Las Vegas, but I'm guessing that was because the casinos run something to disrupt cell signals, reception is really bad once you get near the casino floor. I also dropped a call a few days ago in China, but dropped calls in China happen a lot no matter what phone you use. I used to drop calls all the time here with my Blackberry too.
    09-15-12 06:47 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD