I would consider the iPhone as an upgrade, but only if it will run on LTE. I don't see the point in paying all that money for a 3G phone. I have a 3G blackberry and don't need the same thing but in an iPhone.
    01-11-11 09:34 PM
    Yeah what bothers me is the release of the iPhone 4 for VZW in Feb. It would have made sense announcing its coming and release along side the AT&T model in July (iPhone 5).

I don't know why Apple and Verizon would choose to release the device now and 6 months later release a new model. I would assume there would be mass outrage from those who bought the iPhone 4 and are locked in contracts.

What also would suck is if Apple's iPhone release date for Verizon remains Feb. AT&T customers would have the iPhone 5 available to them July 2011 and Verizon customers would have the iPhone 5 Feb. 2012. Not sure why Verizon would agree to lag behind AT&T with the new model releases.

All interesting questions that I'm hoping will be answered sooner rather than later.
    01-11-11 09:59 PM
    I think that the CDMA iphone was designed for one of the chinese phone networks and Apple and Verizon are taking advantage of the chance of selling some of these while they complete testing of an LTE version of the iphone.

Let's face it and be real about it. If and when AT&T actually roll out their LTE network will it cover any more area than their 3G network covers at this time. They still haven't manage to get a decent coverage for 3G and I don't expect them to be improve on their record with 4G.

So unless AT&T are actually going to share LTE coverage with verizon, which I doubt, then to get decent service customers from AT&T would have to roam onto verizon service and pay roaming charges to get service or be stuck at 3G or slower in those areas that haven't even got 3G coverage yet!

All this talk of LTE on the iphone 5 is pure theory though and of course like I said, even if they launch a phone capable of using LTE unless you are in a service area that gets LTE then you will not have LTE speeds and this goes for any of the wireless phone company's.

Worst still if the area only has the older 1X or whatever the AT&T equivalent is then you will be down to that.

As for me speed is not as important as my bank only has an app for the iphone and a friend that I keep in touch with uses the iphone and it serves the communication with him as well.
    01-11-11 10:22 PM
    If Apple is smart, and yes they are... they will release ONE device with some sort of dual band CDMA/GSM variant. It will keep costs down while exponentially keeping profits high.
    I thought this for a long time, and I disagree, i think they will make two different devices, and launch ATT's in July and VZW in Feb... it's a rat race now to get one on launch day, let alone after that, look at the 4, imagine those launch days with TWO carriers now, be 1000x's worse than it is now...

So I disagree, plus it's not fair for us who have ATT to have a heavier phone for a CDMA radio and we don't ever need it
    01-11-11 10:41 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD