I doubt apple would release a new device with verizon. They will probably stick with ATT as an exclusive for the first few months or longer.
    01-08-09 10:36 PM
    NO way this happens any time soon. Verizon has made a lot of bets and paid some serious cash to have the Storm. While possible I would not expect it to come for quite some time. AT&T is raking in the cash from the IPhone and will do whatever it can to keep it just theirs.
    01-08-09 11:14 PM
    at&t has exclusive rights to any iphone till 2012 in the us. Verizon only has rights to the storm till February. And Why would at&t want a phone that has a return rate of over 50%.
    01-10-09 10:41 PM
    at&t has exclusive rights to any iphone till 2012 in the us. Verizon only has rights to the storm till February. And Why would at&t want a phone that has a return rate of over 50%.
    A return of 50% on the storm come one buddy Show the articles that show this and not forums guessing.
    01-10-09 10:58 PM
    After using the iPhone on AT&T, let me tell you, it is not all that great. While it is a great piece of technology, it comes with its downfalls also. No phone is perfect.
    u right no fone is perfect but not all fone r created equal i have the ipod touch and os is best as of now u dig
    01-10-09 11:14 PM
    The day it happens i'm outtie... IPhone with endo FTW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 02:23 AM
    Ok, so having conversation with the fiance about the bold/curve 8900 coming to Verizon. She had said while in speculation, it's not on their official "move" list yet. She had started speaking of the iphone, and rumors.

I know it's been passed around here a bit, but she was saying intrade for at&t's contract to be "breached" with Apple, they were going to do a "trade off" of the storm.
    This would give AT&T the storm (A better version then what we have) And in turn, we would get an Apple iPhone (Different as well from at&ts)
    There has been a lot of speculation on different iphones, as well as the "slider" iphone with full keyboard. I'm interested as seeing something like this hitting verizon, It would have a big impact.

So, general discussion. Your pro/cons. Like i said i know its been discussed a bit, but i just heard a tad bit more info on it, But like i said she as well disclaimed it as rumor.
    Yeah but who cares? The iphone is old. It was cool the first week it came out in 2007. Plus it sucks. Why would anyone want a phone that's otherwise completely locked by Apple the Money Meisers? Screw that crappy overpriced sh*tphone. Android's where its at

01-11-09 07:52 AM
    deah ya go!! android all the way! seriously though, wouldnt it be awesome if there was a RIM product that ran dual boot blackberry/android?? talk about domination. 1 op sys for work, one for play.
    01-11-09 09:17 AM
    ...one thing that must be considered is the propriety of the Apple product line. One of the reasons that Apple "might" not come to Verizon is that Verizon has partnered with Rhapsody for music source, and Apple insists on iTunes.

I can see the Storm going to AT&T and iPhone going to Verizon, but for that to happen there must be some give and take by all parties, and Apple has not been very willing to negotiate this in that past, interesting given the pi$$ing match with Microsoft in years past. I am not saying that it won't happen, just that there would need to be considerations.

As for the additions of the different devices by both AT&T and Verizon, it would NOT hurt either company. If a person wants a iPhone and the Verizon coverage is better or if they already have Verizon, now they can get one easily and more than likely less expensive than buying an "unlocked" device, and the same goes for those that might want a storm. Would it take away from the number of iPhones sold by AT&T?, yes, but they would make up for that with Storm sales. But the money made by the service providers would not be diminished, since the money they make is not only device based but service contract based. In fact they subsidize the phones so that we can get them as cheap as we do.

I know that I had AT&T and would NOT get an iPhone, I do not like their products, conversely there are those that will move to a provider because of the device that they want. How would this affect VZW and AT&T if they were both carrying BB and iPhone? I would speculate that the benefits would outweigh the negatives.

mnbvc
    01-11-09 12:09 PM
    Well I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apple phone come to Verizon, but it would be in a much different format. I work for Verizon and we were offered it before ATT but it made no sense to do.

1. We can't service the phone. There are 2 apple Stores in Phoenix(the 6th largest city in the country) available to service your phone, and you have to make an appointment.

2. No removable battery. Are you kidding me? Given the history I have had with numerous IPod batteries why replace the whole device if the battery is bad.

3. No expandable memory. It's stupid to sell 2 of the same phones, one with more memory. It's just another ploy for apple to make money.

4. ATT is losing money because of the contract they signed with ATT. Apple is killin it.

wtf does this mean??? "4. ATT is losing money because of the contract they signed with ATT. Apple is killin it.[/QUOTE]"
    01-12-09 07:39 PM
    1) the Storm is not a "CDMA" only device. It has both CDMA AND GSM radios in it. That being said, just do a quick search on here and you can find the numerous storm owners who bought theirs through verizon (full retail or contract price I don't know) and spent 10 minutes unlocking it to work on AT&T and T-mobile. That's why Verizon has marketed it with international capabilities-- because it can work on both types of networks!

2) While verizon's public statement (if they ever made one) was that they resisted the iphone because Apple would have to service the thing and harbor much control over the device, lets be honest with ourselves-- if there was any talk or discussion years ago about Apple's "App Store" with the iPhone, you know that was probably the real breaking point. If it wasn't back then, it's likely that would be a deal breaker now. To my knowledge, Apple and Apple only reaps all the benefits and revenue the App Store generates, which is a LOT! AT&T doesn't see a dime of that $. Verizon would NEVER allow such a cash cow to work on their network in such a manner; they're very money hungry and already nickel & dime their customers for many other services other carriers have for free. If they ever do, I will happily stand corrected.

I'm not a die Apple fanatic but if the iphone ever does come to Verizon, I will be VERY tempted to ditch my blackberry for it! I love my curve but I have no business need for it, I'm a nurse and likely never will, its solely for pleasure and convenience. The iphone might be a better all-around choice for me. But who knows. I love VZW's CS and coverage and will not switch to AT&T for the iphone. I personally would love for Verizon to get it once AT&Ts exclusivity contract is up. I think they would likely win back many of the customers they lost to AT&T over it as well as gain some more. Just my 2 cents..
    01-13-09 07:58 PM
    dont do it!!! lol! I listed all the problems with the iphone on here and if anything, u should not get it in protect of the non sense things omitted from the phone... no flash, no battery removal, no mem card removal, no copy/paste, no MMS, no video... High end devices should not have this many flaws!

If it comes out, I'm not purchasing it simply out or protest!
    01-13-09 10:14 PM
    ...Apple and AT&T have extended their contract trough 2010 it ain't gonna happen this year.

Wish on Apple FanBoys
    01-15-09 04:05 PM
    I doubt it will come to Verizon, but I would love it if it did. I'd also love if Verizon switched to a SIM based network so we could easily change devices for day/night moods - since we are dreaming :P
    Yeah if verizon switched to sim it would defeat the whole purpose of cdma. . . .why do you think att sucks and drops so many calls

01-16-09 11:07 PM
    i mean in the end, I would never refuse any device being supported. The more selections, the better! I just would never get it myself unless they fixed A LOT of VERY basic issues with it!
    01-16-09 11:19 PM
    I'd buy one on day one of availability... but sadly, I just don't see it happening.
    01-18-09 09:53 AM
    I hate iphones

01-18-09 10:21 AM
    Thanks, Cliff - about the only thing I've seen is regurgitations of that Engadget piece. The closest bit of official unofficial word is that VZW was contacted very early in the development cycle, when the iPhone was simply an idea. They were asked if they would be interested in a device like this under Apple's control & conditions. With that, VZW said no, as did many others. Supposedly AT&T initially resisted also, because the Apple business model takes too much control away from the carrier, with regards to quality & customer satisfaction.

It would be like one car manufacturer allowing another to control a particular model offering. In the 80's, the Porsche 924/944 was manufactured by VW/Audi in Audi factories, using Audi parts. The car was sold by Porsche & backed by Porsche. You could not get warranty service at a VW/Audi store, nor would they accept a complaint or offer any resolution. There have been other similar ventures over the years (Honda/Isuzu, Pontiac/Toyota to name a couple), but all have been covered by the nameplate.

Now I know AT&T is a communications company & Apple is a technology company, but I don't see AT&T allowing HTC to control any service or assistance on WinMo devices, nor do I see VZW telling customers they have to take up their problem with RIM or Sprint insisting a customer call Samsung. AT&T took the risk that Apple insisted they take, while other carriers balked. The two-year exclusive was something AT&T negotiated for their part of the risk. I honestly don't see VZW allowing Apple to take care of their customers and I don't see Apple changing the way they do things. Because of this, I really don't see an iPhone in VZW's offerings anytime soon.

The carriers, by and large, do care about customer service - they know it is much more expensive to lure a customer than it is to keep one. Apple, on the other hand, cares about Apple - they have no real concern about the health or reputation of AT&T or any other single carrier.

There has been minimal churn because people have been pretty much locked into their iPhones and most iPhone customers came from flippers or other dumb-phones and not from Berrys/Palms/WinMos. The iPhone wowed them out of the box & they don't want to go back and they don't want the perceived complexity of a true smartphone.

To me, the majority of iPhone users were Toyota/Chevy/VW owners who moved into a Lexus. The Lexus (rebadged Toyota) is a fine car, but it is no BMW, Ferrari or Maserati. Smartphone veterans, for the most part, see the Lexus as a step or three down and they'd not consider it.
    Verizon said it would open its network this past year. It hasn't happened, but that might change the equation. But with the cutover to lte by both AT&T and Verizon, it is probably a moot point.

01-19-09 12:25 AM
    Very true - no real need to 'open' the network when it is supposed to be changing anyway.

01-19-09 09:56 AM
    Yea i personally don't think the iPhone is worth it just like RicanMedic stated. There would have to be many things fixed and improved in order for me to switch to one. Im always happy to see a new device being supported for other providers besides just one. But i think they would need to attend to many things before releasing a CDMA version. For me a QWERTY would be the first thing i would add even if it adds some more depth to the device, i can't work with a touch screen keyboard as i do a ton of texting. But i can't see AT&T giving up the rights to the iPhone seeing as how much money they have made in new contracts by having it in their roster. But as things move forward who knows what may happen, i for one am waiting to see a final hands on with the Palm Pre.
    01-19-09 10:17 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD