WSJ just posted breaking news that Apple is working on CDMA iPhone for Verizon:

Business News & Financial News - The Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com

From article:
    Apple is developing a new iPhone to debut this summer and also appears to be working on another model for U.S. mobile phone operator Verizon Wireless.

The people briefed on the matter said that the next iPhone is being manufactured by Taiwanese contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry, which produced Apple's previous iPhones. The other iPhone model that has CDMA capability is being manufactured by Pegatron Technology.

While Apple has unveiled a new iPhone every June or July since launching the product in 2007, the new model with CDMA capability is notable. Apple and AT&T have long had an exclusive relationship with the iPhone. That has given AT&T a competitive edge over other carriers like Verizon for the last three years.

***No idea if this is true - just passing it along
    03-29-10 04:32 PM
    I doubt it, but they might.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 04:37 PM
    CNBC just had a report of the same thing.

Meanwhile, the stock price of RIM just dropped $1.50 in after hours trading....
    Last edited by Cowchip; 03-29-10 at 04:47 PM.
    03-29-10 04:44 PM
    Odd that major news networks getting this rumor out before any tech spies in the business. Haven't seen it on any tech sites/blogs yet.
    03-29-10 05:18 PM
    Not an iPhone fan but definitely curious to see how it will effect other phones on VZ.
    03-29-10 05:33 PM
    Interesting... I get the feeling that the Verizon model will be noticeably lesser (In terms of specs) compared to the GSM iPhone.
    03-29-10 05:49 PM
    Interesting... I get the feeling that the Verizon model will be noticeably lesser (In terms of specs) compared to the GSM iPhone.
    What makes you think that?
    03-29-10 06:00 PM
    WOW!!! I didn't think they would do a CDMA phone...I was way off!

I really hope it's true and Verizon gets a full phone before Christmas. Verizon people would be ecstatic!!!
    03-29-10 06:05 PM
    You FOOLS!

It's going to be a LTE version.
    03-29-10 06:20 PM
    I don't see it the end of AT&T as they are also getting the new iPhone as well plus verizon's etf are $350 a line compared to AT&T's $175... and generally speaking AT&T has the better quality phones... just compare the old motorola razr / krzr series and there's proof enough.. same phone.. but better on ATT .. camera, functionality... was really surprised they did that.. unless is was more of an vzw lockdown on the phone... anyways point being i think all carriers are going to have it now... cdma is sprint as well
    03-29-10 07:15 PM
    Yeah, I just seen this on Phonescoop.com - AT&T is getting a new iPhone by Summer & Verizon supposedly by Fall. We'll see though...
    03-29-10 07:29 PM
    You FOOLS!

Article specifically mentioned CDMA, and Verizon's LTE network wouldn't be anywhere close to being ready to launching an LTE iPhone in 2010.
    03-29-10 07:31 PM
    Another iphone rumor another year. the same thing happened last year and all the media jumped on it once someone had the guts to publish it too.

When it happens I'll believe it. Other than that its just another unsubstantiated rumor, no more credible than any other rumor just because the media source it came from.
    03-29-10 07:37 PM
    What makes you think that?
    That is just how I have comprehended the WSJ article and different inputs from multiple blogs. There will be 2 seperate models from the way I understand things. I can easily be wrong though.

03-29-10 08:01 PM
    That is just how I have comprehended the WSJ article and different inputs from multiple blogs. There will be 2 seperate models from the way I understand things. I can easily be wrong though.

Wouldn't it be cool if the cdma iphone turned out to have killer specs, like Apple was finally saying f/u to AT&T by giving vzw the best iphone on the market?
    03-29-10 08:13 PM
    Wouldn't it be cool if the cdma iphone turned out to have killer specs, like Apple was finally saying f/u to AT&T by giving vzw the best iphone on the market?
    That would give me a laugh, but it doesn't seem logical to me.(I get the sarcasm though.) Apple's primary market is current AT&T consumers with an iPhone. Hopefully details on the whole situation come out now that major news outlets are reporting what the WSJ put out today.

I am seriously considering a Nexus One on Verizon because rumors have it releasing very soon.

I wish I had the scoop on Apple's new OS and Verizon iPhone so I can make a decision now :/ .

03-29-10 09:23 PM
    You FOOLS!

That's my guess too.

03-29-10 09:41 PM
    and lets read the article more carefully:

"One person familiar with the situation said Pegatron is scheduled to start mass producing CDMA iPhones in September. Other people said, however, that the schedule could change and the phone may not be available to consumers immediately after production begins."

Sounds like just more we dont know guessing games structured as "news"
    03-29-10 10:34 PM
    and lets read the article more carefully:

"One person familiar with the situation said Pegatron is scheduled to start mass producing CDMA iPhones in September. Other people said, however, that the schedule could change and the phone may not be available to consumers immediately after production begins."

Sounds like just more we dont know guessing games structured as "news"
    Like I said, I have no idea if this is true. Just thought the mention of a named oem builder for the cdma variant was noteworthy.

03-29-10 10:58 PM
    Just saw that story on the news. Productions set for Sept 2010!
    Bring on Big Red's Iphone........
    03-30-10 05:50 AM
    Google changed the way consumers buy their phones and apple had to follow suit. It was not crazy to see that iphone would cater the cdma carriers as well as GSM, the question was when.
    Since it seems that LTE on VZ is going to take longer than Apple would like, a CDMA model should be in production rather soon. I think we could see a cdma iphone by the holiday season.
    03-30-10 07:12 AM
    I was surprised to wake up today and see an article in the newspaper today telling us about the Verizon Iphone coming up....

even though Verizon is going to get it now, I love my Blackberrys way to much to go back into an Iphone again....I left the Iphone already for the Blackberry and can't see myself going back into the Iphone again
    03-30-10 07:19 AM
    One thing though, if they are going to release the ATT version mid summer and releaste the Verizon version in the fall I can guarantee you that both models would be announced at WWDC in June because there is no way Verizon would let Apple announce an awesome new 4th generation iPhone in June coming to ATT and have tons of people flock over to ATT to get it. Verizon will have Apple make the announcement everyone is waiting for, that it will also be coming to Verizon. In the same token ATT will not want that because it would cause people to not only stay with Verizon, but I would be willing to bet that a lot of people would not get one with ATT and leave to go to Verizon. I for one cannot wait until WWDC to see how this plays out. Also if Im not mistaken, it was reported on Appleinsider last November that someone who has been a party to the discussions with Apple/Verizon, stated that Verizon would get the iPhone in Q3 2010. That wasnt a random guess from some so called analyst either. Also the report that Apple signed a deal with Qualcomm, again not a random guess from some analyst. From what Ive seen in past, when these contracts for manufacturing have been leaked, theyve been correct. Its really the analysts guesses I dont pay attention to.
    03-30-10 08:08 AM
    Yeah, I remember the article from the Chinese analyst talking about the Qualcomm chipset.
    03-30-10 08:23 AM
    I don't see it the end of AT&T as they are also getting the new iPhone as well plus verizon's etf are $350 a line compared to AT&T's $175... and generally speaking AT&T has the better quality phones... just compare the old motorola razr / krzr series and there's proof enough.. same phone.. but better on ATT .. camera, functionality... was really surprised they did that.. unless is was more of an vzw lockdown on the phone... anyways point being i think all carriers are going to have it now... cdma is sprint as well
    wow something was actually better on ATT? well if VZW does ever get the iPhone, I bet it will be better on VZW 3G network.
    03-30-10 08:29 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD