Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By avt123
  • 1 Post By kg4icg
  • 1 Post By G550Pilot
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,318 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default US Airforce orders up to 18.000 IPads

So the rumour was true, and the deal is done. The US Airforce is buying IPads to replace paper manuals. Bad time to buy, considering the iPad is about to fall in price, but they DID get a nice 70$ discount...

U.S. Air Force plans to order up to 18,000 iPads
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just ask

What a waste of taxpayers money.

Isn't the US in some huge deficit and was almost hitting its debt ceiling only a few months ago?

I can find better use for the $9.36 million... like Medicaid, and welfare.
    O.G.

Global Posts
    12,340 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peritaxis View Post
    What a waste of taxpayers money.

Isn't the US in some huge deficit and was almost hitting its debt ceiling only a few months ago?

I can find better use for the $9.36 million... like Medicaid, and welfare.
    The military doesn't seem to have a limit in spending money.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

The competition drew 24 proposals from interested companies, Ferrero said. She wouldn’t name the companies or say whether Cupertino, California-based Apple responded to the request. The command’s decision was based in part on the lowest- priced offer, she said.
    I'd like to see how they can justify that as well as contracting iPad 2's with the next iteration being released likely one month away.
    CrackBerry User

This is weird to me because a month ago the ipad was considered out of the running and the playbook was the leader. I wonder what happened.
    CrackBerry User

This really makes me mad in its stupidity. The USAF has used Blackberries exclusively for the past 5-8 years for mobile devices. Buying Playbooks makes perfect sense since it is the BB companion. The military uses BB's because they can be CAC enabled.

What happened? I'll tell you what happened. Some high-ranking muckety-muck at the Pentagon doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground and got an iPad for Christmas. Problem is, as of today, it's not an approved product for use on the AF GIG. Had RIM released 2.0 just a couple of months earlier, the PB would be it. Well, I've shown my PB and it's Bridge feature to someone who purchases for the USAF. He was impressed and wants to go that route. Just because one unit bought Apple, doesn't mean the rest of the military, or even the rest of the USAF will.
    "So Cybil, how many of you are in there?"
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
    This really makes me mad in its stupidity. The USAF has used Blackberries exclusively for the past 5-8 years for mobile devices. Buying Playbooks makes perfect sense since it is the BB companion. The military uses BB's because they can be CAC enabled.
    unfortunately even the military doesn't want to invest in a company with a very uncertain future.

this isn't the 1st government entity that is dropping a RIM device for an iOS device. I'm sure there will be more of this to come.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts

Since they needed tablets for viewing aircraft manuals, they might have needed a decent PDF reader. That alone eliminates the PlayBook from serious consideration.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts

like i said this is just the start of a long list of Government entities that heres another thats ditching blackberry for an iOS device.

US alcohol and firearms regulator abandons BlackBerry for iPhone, other[b][/b]platforms
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,488 Global Posts

Well if you really look at it, so far they only ordered 63 to put thru evaluation before the jump on the rest which might not happen.

p.s. just a little something to think about. There isn't a single Apple product that has a Mil Spec rating to meet required minimums for operation.
    Last edited by kg4icg; 03-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Just a trucker delivering the goods in which sometimes they are cell phones.
    7cf26b0d
    TruTexan likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Just went through IAO training and we were emphatically told not to sign off on iPad purchases bc they will not be approved by Base Comm to work on the network Cant use the hotspot even at the Starbucks on base. Its essentially a paper weight.

Now the PB? That's another story!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (05-26-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by tchocky77 View Post
    Since they needed tablets for viewing aircraft manuals, they might have needed a decent PDF reader. That alone eliminates the PlayBook from serious consideration.
    This is exactly why my Playbook was returned!

And using a tablet for manuals SAVES a lot of money in a relative short time. Paper manual are thousands of pages thick and are updated constantly. Nevermind the weight they take up flying them around.

Even the airlines (as cheap as you can get) are going all iPads as it makes financial sense.
    Last edited by G550Pilot; 05-25-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    tchocky77 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts

Why? Because of all those Play books the military is buying up?

G550,

Are you an Honest to Gosh 550 driver? I spent some time in Navy VR squadrons and got to fly on one from Andrews to Kaneohe once. Holy crap that is one sweet ride! My life's dream now is to someday get aboard a 650. My first purchase one I hit powerball one of these days! lol.
    Morlock_Man is a man of his word and a good sport.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by tchocky77 View Post
    Why? Because of all those Play books the military is buying up?

G550,

Are you an Honest to Gosh 550 driver? I spent some time in Navy VR squadrons and got to fly on one from Andrews to Kaneohe once. Holy crap that is one sweet ride! My life's dream now is to someday get aboard a 650. My first purchase one I hit powerball one of these days! lol.
    LOL - yes. Its a nice way to travel!....but I just drive the thing. Big difference as compared to Mr Rich riding in back.

650's will be out soon, no desire to fly one...the thing will stay in the air like 18hours. Thats just getting painful!
    CrackBerry User

The PDF reader on my PB works great. Since the new OS release last Feb I've had no problems. DocsToGo is native, no addn'l tethering fee is required to get online, HDMI does presentations and turns the bb phone into a remote, expandable memory, etc. etc. PB is definitely where it's at as far as a working tablet.

Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,281 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Just went through IAO training and we were emphatically told not to sign off on iPad purchases bc they will not be approved by Base Comm to work on the network Cant use the hotspot even at the Starbucks on base. Its essentially a paper weight.

Might be concerns about the "S" word...you know....that thing nobody cares about?

Wait, some people do care about "S" words such as security and sensitive...in regards to information being leaked...

IBM fears Siri
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador