Ok, sorry for asking so many questions. But I have both links downloaded, redsnow and the update, on my desktop. I open up redsnow, click on browse, find and click on the os that I downloaded, then firmware and DFU pops up, but nothing is actually letting me choose the ipsw so that I can click " next " in redsnow. What am I doing wrong? I'm really getting frustrated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 08:33 AM
    Ok, sorry for asking so many questions. But I have both links downloaded, redsnow and the update, on my desktop. I open up redsnow, click on browse, find and click on the os that I downloaded, then firmware and DFU pops up, but nothing is actually letting me choose the ipsw so that I can click " next " in redsnow. What am I doing wrong? I'm really getting frustrated.

I have the feeling you got confused, if I understood correctly your question/problem. Ipsw and OS is the same thing. So, when you start redsnow click on the button which is in the middle-right of the window to chose ipsw/OS file. After redsnow finishes the job of importing this file, then in the bottom you will have the option to move forward-next.

Don't hesitate letting me know if I haven't understood correctly your problem, or if you have further questions.
    04-11-11 09:17 AM
    I have the feeling you got confused, if I understood correctly your question/problem. Ipsw and OS is the same thing. So, when you start redsnow click on the button which is in the middle-right of the window to chose ipsw/OS file. After redsnow finishes the job of importing this file, then in the bottom you will have the option to move forward-next.

Don't hesitate letting me know if I haven't understood correctly your problem, or if you have further questions.
    So 1st I open up redsnow, then I click on browse, then I find the os file. Do I click on that? When I do it's not doing anything in redsnow to where it will let me click next at the bottom. Sorry for so many questions, I'm just getting bored with the device since I upgraded to 4.3 from 4.1 where I did jailbreak it using limra1n.

04-11-11 11:11 AM
    So 1st I open up redsnow, then I click on browse, then I find the os file. Do I click on that? When I do it's not doing anything in redsnow to where it will let me click next at the bottom. Sorry for so many questions, I'm just getting bored with the device since I upgraded to 4.3 from 4.1 where I did jailbreak it using limra1n.

Let's go through a detailed process. BTW, I found some previous instructions was not correct. The bellow instructions are based on using Win7
    A) setting Redsnow to run properly in Win 7
    1) Right click with your mouse on Redsnow. Will appear a menu. Go to the bottom and click on "properties"
    2) when appear a window called "redsn0w properties", click on the Tab "Compatability"
    3) when you are on "Compatibility" Tab:
    3.1) Select "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and from the drop-menu bellow select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"
    3.2) Select "Run this program as an administrator"
    3.3) Click "OK" button.

At this point you have "manipulated" Redsnow to be able to run properly in Win7 environment.
    Next is jail breaking ...

B) Jailbreaking with redsnow - here I suppose you have upgraded to iOS 4.3.1, as it is described at iclarified.com
    1) double click on redsnow - normally will appear a small window asking you do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes on this computer? - Click on "Yes" button
    2) should appear redsnow window, on the top you should see "Welcome to redsn0w 0.9.6rc9!"
    3) at the bottom left you should see a button "Brows" - click on it.
    4) should appear window for selecting/opening files, which is named, look at the very top left, "Browse for IPSW"
    5) Navigate to the IPSW/OS file you have downloaded. For example, if you jailbreak iPad 1, the file name should be exactly "iPad,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore"
    6) Select the above file - click once on it with the mouse, and then go to "Open" button on bottom right and click on it.
    --- at this point redsnow start processing the firmware, you should wait for 10-20-30 seconds. When Redsnow is done with processing the firmware you will be able to click on the "Next>" button, which is at the bottom of the window, and proceed with the entire jail breaking process.

Hope the above helps
    Last edited by mtint; 04-11-11 at 06:10 PM.
    04-11-11 06:05 PM
    Let's go through a detailed process. BTW, I found some previous instructions was not correct. The bellow instructions are based on using Win7
    A) setting Redsnow to run properly in Win 7
    1) Right click with your mouse on Redsnow. Will appear a menu. Go to the bottom and click on "properties"
    2) when appear a window called "redsn0w properties", click on the Tab "Compatability"
    3) when you are on "Compatibility" Tab:
    3.1) Select "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and from the drop-menu bellow select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"
    3.2) Select "Run this program as an administrator"
    3.3) Click "OK" button.

At this point you have "manipulated" Redsnow to be able to run properly in Win7 environment.
    Next is jail breaking ...

B) Jailbreaking with redsnow - here I suppose you have upgraded to iOS 4.3.1, as it is described at iclarified.com
    1) double click on redsnow - normally will appear a small window asking you do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes on this computer? - Click on "Yes" button
    2) should appear redsnow window, on the top you should see "Welcome to redsn0w 0.9.6rc9!"
    3) at the bottom left you should see a button "Brows" - click on it.
    4) should appear window for selecting/opening files, which is named, look at the very top left, "Browse for IPSW"
    5) Navigate to the IPSW/OS file you have downloaded. For example, if you jailbreak iPad 1, the file name should be exactly "iPad,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore"
    6) Select the above file - click once on it with the mouse, and then go to "Open" button on bottom right and click on it.
    --- at this point redsnow start processing the firmware, you should wait for 10-20-30 seconds. When Redsnow is done with processing the firmware you will be able to click on the "Next>" button, which is at the bottom of the window, and proceed with the entire jail breaking process.

Hope the above helps
    ok so when I click on browse in redsnow it opens up the file window where it says " browse for ISPW " at the top left hand corner, then I single clickk on the file that I downloaded and then click open at the bottom right hand corner and then in the large box below the " look in " box it says firmware but it isnt proccessing anything in redsnow and still wont let me click next. Im following all the directions. What am I doing wrong?
    04-11-11 10:20 PM
    Which iDevice you use, and which is the current system you run on it?
    04-12-11 03:11 AM
    IPhone 4 on 4.3.

04-12-11 07:08 AM
    IPhone 4 on 4.3.

The jailbreak is for version 4.3.1

You should first upgrade your OS to 4.3.1 as described in iclarified.com tutorial. I start suspecting that your redsnow or IPSW is corrupted, better to download them anew, but do it from the links presented at the iclarified website and try again
    04-12-11 07:49 AM
    Just looked and the version I have is 4.3.1. But I will try redownloading them from the site you mentioned. Thank you again for your help and patience.

04-12-11 08:23 AM
    Ok I give up! Redownloaded everything from iclarified.com and it's still doing the same thing. I click on browse, select the ipsw file, click open and it's still not doing anything. Redsnow is not processing anything and it will not let me click next. Grrrr! What am I doing wrong?

04-12-11 11:55 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD