Now it's time to upgrade my iOS to 4.3.1 and jailbreak
    I just found a nice YouTube video on how to use the new JB.
    Last edited by jayman2; 04-04-11 at 06:25 AM.
    04-04-11 05:21 AM
    Sorr but I know nothing about JB! Is it done through your iPhone or the computer? I assume that's the link. I'm going to research the forums a little for advice before I attempt it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-11 06:09 AM
    I just upgraded from iOS 4.2.1 to 4.3.1 and did the JB using redsn0w. Everything went well.
    04-04-11 09:43 AM
    My problem is how to save shsh blobs before Jailbreak.....
    04-04-11 12:26 PM
    I jailbroke my iphone 4 4.2.1 with Greenpois0n. I've avoided the 4.3.1 update until a new untethered jailbreak was released.

My question is how to go about updating to 4.3.1 and running a new jailbreak. Do I need to hook up to itunes and do the update and then perform a new jailbreak? Will I lose all the apps I've installed? What jailbreak did you use?

Thanks
    04-04-11 01:56 PM
    I jailbroke my iphone 4 4.2.1 with Greenpois0n. I've avoided the 4.3.1 update until a new untethered jailbreak was released.

My question is how to go about updating to 4.3.1 and running a new jailbreak. Do I need to hook up to itunes and do the update and then perform a new jailbreak? Will I lose all the apps I've installed? What jailbreak did you use?

Thanks
    You can download iOS 4.3.1 from this link:
    http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...4_Restore.ipsw

You can download redsn0w from here:
    Redsn0w 0.9.6rc9 Download is Available

Just follow the Youtube video from the first post.

Also, if you have any Cydia apps installed already, do a search in Cydia before you start for an app called aptbackup. It'll allow you to do a backup of your Cydia apps and after you finish your upgrade and JB, re-install the app and do a restore. It'll do it's best to install most of your apps for you. Some you may have to re-install again, but aptbackup helps a lot.

And don't forget to do a backup of your iPhone through iTunes before you do anything! That way you can always go back if you mess up.

Here's a link with a good step-by-step on how to upgrade your iOS.
    How to Update iOS | Software Download Free
    Last edited by jayman2; 04-04-11 at 02:36 PM.
    runninlate likes this.
    04-04-11 02:34 PM
    My problem is how to save shsh blobs before Jailbreak.....
    You don't. You do that AFTER you Jailbreak so that if you ever want to downgrade to the OS you saved the blobs from, you can. That's how that works. Un-Jailbreaking is simply done by loading an official Apple iOS over your Jailbroken phone because that loads the entire new OS from scratch and undoes the JB.
    04-04-11 03:36 PM

Thanks
    Your profile info is confusing. Do you have a Verizon iPhone or AT&T one. 4.3.x isn't available for VZW yet. If you're with AT&T, just update to 4.3.1 via iTunes and then Jailbreak again with the new tools after that. The process is no different then with prior OS updates and re-jailbreaks.
    04-04-11 03:38 PM
    Your profile info is confusing. Do you have a Verizon iPhone or AT&T one. 4.3.x isn't available for VZW yet. If you're with AT&T, just update to 4.3.1 via iTunes and then Jailbreak again with the new tools after that. The process is no different then with prior OS updates and re-jailbreaks.
    Oops! I didn't notice the poster was with VZW.
    04-04-11 03:45 PM
    Oops! I didn't notice the poster was with VZW.
    Yes I'm with Verizon. My bad
    04-04-11 04:08 PM
    I got a notice on itunes that said "an update to the carrier settings for your iphone is available, do you want to download it?"

Guess I thought this was the update to 4.3, but it obviously isn't. Should I do the carrier settings update?
    04-04-11 04:42 PM
    I got a notice on itunes that said "an update to the carrier settings for your iphone is available, do you want to download it?"

Guess I thought this was the update to 4.3, but it obviously isn't. Should I do the carrier settings update?
    I'm with AT&T, not familiar with Verizon. Maybe someone else can help you here. Sorry.
    04-04-11 04:47 PM
    You can actually do the carrier update from the phone by going into settings and about. Do the update, but that won't update your OS. Like I said, 4.3.x isn't out for Verizon yet.
    04-04-11 09:40 PM
    Jailbroke my iPad 1 last night, took me 3 times to do it but it worked.

04-05-11 07:44 AM
    Does anyone know if this JB messes up iBooks? I saw somewhere that the last jb for 4.2 didn't let you use iBooks so I never did a jb. I guess if it came down to it I could just get used to Kindle, but I really like iBooks..

04-09-11 06:22 PM
    Does anyone know if this JB messes up iBooks? I saw somewhere that the last jb for 4.2 didn't let you use iBooks so I never did a jb. I guess if it came down to it I could just get used to Kindle, but I really like iBooks..

My iBooks is working just fine with iPhone 4.
    04-09-11 06:46 PM
    Ok. Thanks! Hopefully there will be no problem on my 3gs then. Can't wait to get home and JB now!

04-09-11 06:52 PM
    ok I downloaded redsnow from the link but when I open redsnow and click on browse I am not finding where it says the device ipsw that I am supposed to choose from. I am already running os 4.3
    04-09-11 07:08 PM
    ok I downloaded redsnow from the link but when I open redsnow and click on browse I am not finding where it says the device ipsw that I am supposed to choose from. I am already running os 4.3
    I had that issue as well but what I did was download the update manually even though I was running it on my iPad then saved it to my desktop and it found it and did the jailbreak. Just keep in mind that you should backup all you info and apps because it screwed up 3 times and I lost some of my apps. It worked the 4th time and everything was fine after.

04-09-11 08:58 PM
    Few days ago upgraded to 4.3.1 and JB iPad 1.
    To be honest don't see any real benefits, at least for now. iOS 4.3.1 uses more RAM compared to 4.2.1

There are great tutorials on how jailbreak and unlock iDevices at iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials
    04-09-11 09:22 PM

It was an issue only, if remember correctly, with iOS 4.2. Later it was fixed and never had problem with other JBs.
    04-09-11 09:26 PM
    I had that issue as well but what I did was download the update manually even though I was running it on my iPad then saved it to my desktop and it found it and did the jailbreak. Just keep in mind that you should backup all you info and apps because it screwed up 3 times and I lost some of my apps. It worked the 4th time and everything was fine after.

Sorry, but I am not very technically knowledgeable. What do you mean by download the update manually?

04-09-11 11:03 PM
    Sorry, but I am not very technically knowledgeable. What do you mean by download the update manually?

He means to download the iOS using your browser, but not from iTunes. A couple of posts earlier can find the link in my post with tutorials. In the tutorials there are links to jailbreaking software and link for downloading the iOS 4.3.1, which you will need during jail breaking process.
    04-10-11 12:06 AM
    Ok I did download both links, redsnow and the update to my computer but I'm still not seeing where to select the ipsw. I found the update in my documents but I'm not seeing where to select the ipsw like it should in the video.

04-10-11 09:31 AM
    Ok I did download both links, redsnow and the update to my computer but I'm still not seeing where to select the ipsw. I found the update in my documents but I'm not seeing where to select the ipsw like it should in the video.

Never watched the video tutorial. I am following the instructions at text with pictures tutorial.
    In general, after having iOS 4.3.1 downloaded, you need to start iTunes while your iDevice is connected to computer. If iTunes tells you new system upgrade etc. etc. - just ignore it, cancel.
    On left side of iTunes select your iDevice, when it appears in the main window, PRESS and HOLD "Shift" and click on restore button.
    A selection window will appear - navigate to folder where is locate ipsw and select it. iTunes will upgrade the system to iOS 4.3.1

After having installed iOS 4.3.1 using the above method, it is time to go with redsnow and do actual jailbreak.
    First you should close iTunes and switch off the iDevice, but keep it connected to the computer. If you are on Win7, not sure about Vista, before running redsnow change the compatibility of redsnow into XP SP2 - to do that you need to have administrator privileges.
    Run redsnow, when the window appears in the mid right there is a button, do not remember what is called, klick on it.
    Will appear a selection window - navigate to the ipsw you have downloaded and select it. At this point redsnow will start importing the ipsw - it takes less than a minute.
    After this is done, go next
    On the second window select Cydia - go next
    Third window is reminding you that your iDevice should be connected to the computer and switched off. At this point have your iDevice in your hands as will need to master a combination of pressing, holding and releasing home and sleep buttons on your device. Click next.
    When the window appears, firs - need to press and hold for approx 3 seconds sleep button, second - press and hold both sleep and home buttons for approx 10 sec, third - release pressing sleep button while continuing pressing and holding home button, for approximately 15 sec.
    When the above cycle is finished, redsnow will start jail breaking the device. At this point release home button. You can do nothing for few minutes but enjoy your drink.
    In case with first attempt redsnow tells you cannot find iDevcie, no need to panic - it happens due to Win haven't installed/identified the drivers for the connected device. No need to go through the entire process - there should be a button on redsnow, something like try again or so, click on it and jailbreak will work.

In case anything goes totally messed, I did it once about 3 years ago with iPhone, don't panic - just force the device into DFU mode (pressing and holding Home and Sleep buttons for 20-30 seconds), while device in DFU mode connect to computer and restore with iTunes.

Usually, when restoreing and jail breaking, I do not restore the device from a backup. Reason is that found after jailbreak and restore from backup, sometimes, the system is not very stable.
    When have fresh jail broken device, I setting it as new device, manually configuring settings, syncing contacts, calendar, files, media etc. with iTunes, and from iTunes installing the applications.

Here usually goes the normal disclaimer: Whatever you do it is at your own risk, and I do not take any responsibility!

Good luck!
    04-10-11 06:54 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD