I'm not an iPhone user so you'll have to excuse me for not being really familiar with the phone and what can or can't be done with it.

My brother just got stationed overseas in Germany. He has an iPhone 3gs that he was using here. He took it with him to the T-mobile store in Germany but they told him they couldn't unlock it. Is it possible at all to get it unlocked so that he can use it over there? Would it even work on the network over there at all in Germany? I'd like to have an answer to give to him but I really don't know anything about the iPhone, so I imagine someone here might be able to give me a firm answer either way. Thanks in advance!
    11-22-09 01:58 AM
    I'm not an iPhone user so you'll have to excuse me for not being really familiar with the phone and what can or can't be done with it.

My brother just got stationed overseas in Germany. He has an iPhone 3gs that he was using here. He took it with him to the T-mobile store in Germany but they told him they couldn't unlock it. Is it possible at all to get it unlocked so that he can use it over there? Would it even work on the network over there at all in Germany? I'd like to have an answer to give to him but I really don't know anything about the iPhone, so I imagine someone here might be able to give me a firm answer either way. Thanks in advance!
    If you could find out the firmware and baseband of the phone that would be a great start. Those can be found under Settings -> General -> About.

Depending on how familiar your brother is he could probably just do it himself, I'll PM you.
    11-22-09 06:42 AM
    It would have to be done using software not by code.
    11-23-09 04:45 PM
    blackra1n , making it rain =]
    11-25-09 11:13 AM
    Blackra1n and then blacksn0w to jailbreak and then unlock. All that is required is a pc with itunes installed and internet access.
    11-25-09 01:41 PM
    Go to BlackRa1n.com, download (pick your PC's operating system), connect your device to the PC, and run/execute BlackRa1n. At this point, you can install Cydia, Rock App (cydia better looking younger sibling), and unlock.
    11-26-09 04:16 PM
    Thank you for the info! I also received your PM Duvi. So as long as he does this, it won't brick his phone? Will he still have the same functionality as he does with AT&T? T-Mobile is the carrier over in Germany that has the iPhone and that's who he'd be going with as soon as he got it unlocked. i just want to make sure it's not going to ruin his phone somehow.
    12-01-09 08:49 PM
    Ok this may be a stupid question but where can he get Cydia, and Rock App
    12-01-09 08:52 PM
    Ok this may be a stupid question but where can he get Cydia, and Rock App
    once blackra1n is ran you'll have the option for cydia
    12-07-09 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD