I started using the AIM program a lot more and though it would be a good idea to start a new thread for users that use aim.

Add me and let me know who you are.

Edit: I just realized I could just edit my first post. New name = BrooklynDuvi

Last edited by Jayden0606; 10-03-08 at 09:38 AM.
    07-18-08 05:22 PM
    kinda sucks that you can't remain logged on after the exit out.
    07-18-08 05:27 PM
    kinda sucks that you can't remain logged on after the exit out.
    In September that will all be a thing of the past.
    07-18-08 05:35 PM
    You already know mine jayden

Mine is same as my username as well. I am usually on all the time
    07-18-08 05:40 PM
    In September that will all be a thing of the past.
    In Sept.? What have you heard J? and to double check... using the AIM app messages sent are free right? Well no additional charges... I need it over data or do they charge each message as text? This is a potential deal breaker for me as I need an IM running constantly!
    07-19-08 12:25 AM
    Blah. I wish I could get AIM on my BlackBerry to chat with a few of you. Why must it be carrier specific?!

This ruins the thread a little, however, are any of you able to use Google Talk? I'm pretty sure there is an application for it on the iPhone (didn't notice anything for WLM or Yahoo!). Anyway, let me know your GTalk username if that works for you...
    07-19-08 12:32 AM
    you can get aim on your blackberry, download jivetalk at Beejive | instant messaging, just about anywhere

it costs money but its def worth it. i loved it when i had my pearl. It also uses data not text messaging. If you are looking for something free, a quick seach in the forums will give you tons of options
    07-19-08 12:45 AM
    you can get aim on your blackberry, download jivetalk at Beejive | instant messaging, just about anywhere

it costs money but its def worth it. i loved it when i had my pearl. It also uses data not text messaging. If you are looking for something free, a quick seach in the forums will give you tons of options
    Yeah, I've used JiveTalk before. Very nice. However, now I just use the RIM instant messaging programs. I really only use Google Talk, so it works out that way. However, I'm thinking I might have to throw on a third-party application to get my AIM fix!
    07-19-08 12:53 AM
    I use aim. My username is: joanie nieves
    07-19-08 01:17 AM
    Glad to c that this thread got started! Are people still having trouble with aim crashing on their phone?

username is: bigdiesel601
    07-19-08 08:17 AM
    Yeah, I've used JiveTalk before. Very nice. However, now I just use the RIM instant messaging programs. I really only use Google Talk, so it works out that way. However, I'm thinking I might have to throw on a third-party application to get my AIM fix!
    Google talk now allows you to chat with your AIM buddies I thought. Least it does in GMail, not sure if that would carry over to your BB.
    07-19-08 08:20 AM
    Glad to c that this thread got started! Are people still having trouble with aim crashing on their phone?

username is: bigdiesel601
    AIM exits when you exit the program. it does not stay running in the background. Thats why jayden said come september it will be fixed, because they should be updating the software to allow it to run in the background.
    07-19-08 11:05 AM
    AIM exits when you exit the program. it does not stay running in the background. Thats why jayden said come september it will be fixed, because they should be updating the software to allow it to run in the background.
    Kinda-sorta. Apple will never let 3rd party software run in the background. It goes against their ideology for the phone...

In September, they are releasing a "push notification service" that can be programmed into third party apps. Basically stated, when you leave the app, the app still closes, but should you get a new message, the push notification service will push an alert to your phone. It simulates background processes without the need for background processes eating system resources.
    07-19-08 11:25 AM
    Kinda-sorta. Apple will never let 3rd party software run in the background. It goes against their ideology for the phone...

In September, they are releasing a "push notification service" that can be programmed into third party apps. Basically stated, when you leave the app, the app still closes, but should you get a new message, the push notification service will push an alert to your phone. It simulates background processes without the need for background processes eating system resources.
    AHHH thanks for the clarification!! I cant wait for that, bc thats fine for me too, as long as i get a message and it tells me
    07-19-08 11:36 AM
    AHHH thanks for the clarification!! I cant wait for that, bc thats fine for me too, as long as i get a message and it tells me
    I am really excited for this feature. Definitely going to make the iPhone even more amazing. Right now, AIM kind of sucks.
    07-19-08 04:41 PM
    I am really excited for this feature. Definitely going to make the iPhone even more amazing. Right now, AIM kind of sucks.
    You shouldn't be excited that it is coming, you should be disappointed that it wasn't there in the first place. For all the "innovating" apple claims to be doing, they seem to be behind the game by several years on some pretty basic stuff.
    07-19-08 11:32 PM
    You shouldn't be excited that it is coming, you should be disappointed that it wasn't there in the first place. For all the "innovating" apple claims to be doing, they seem to be behind the game by several years on some pretty basic stuff.
    Can you explain why the Email King (RIM) does not have HTML email? Please do not say 4.5 as it's not even out yet. Who knows, maybe when the push notification comes, RIM may actually release 4.5 for a bootleg version of HTML email. Why don't the kings of email have great IMAP support? It's only been a year and change with the iPhone 2g and 3g and yet Apple already leads in that category, IMO. Where is the push contacts and calendar for the "rest of us" (non BES users)?

Why are there still memory leaks? An issue that's been here for the longest. I could go on, but why? You attack a company that is on their second device, first full year and somehow they are "behind by several years."

Next...

Last edited by Jayden0606; 07-20-08 at 11:19 AM. Reason: updated to cmptrnd16's liking... to make him/her happy :)
    07-20-08 09:07 AM
    Can you explain why the Email King (RIM) does not have HTML email? Please do not say 4.5 as it's not even out yet. Who knows, maybe when the push notification comes, RIM may actually release 4.5 for a bootleg version of HTML email. Why don't the kings of email have great IMAP support? It's only been a year and change with the iPhone 2g and 3g and yet Apple already leads in that category, IMO. Where is the push contacts and calendar for the "rest of us" (non BES users)?

Why are there still memory leaks? An issue that's been here for the longest. I could go on, but why? You attack a company that is on their second device, first full year and somehow they are "several years behind."

Next...

You make very good points, and I agree. I agree that Blackberry is behind the curve(sic) in some aspects. My gripe is that Apple bragged about all this push stuff before the product came out, and now they have had to change the wording until they can actually provide what they promised. I think that is a disappointment.

Furthermore, the "basic stuff" I was referring to was the ability to open up more than one application at once. I think that is a much easier thing to implement than HTML e-mail and has kind of been something people have been using for several years.

Your response brings up a lot of good points, but it doesn't really have anything to do with my post. You are bringing up issues that relatively few phones have to somehow justify why the iPhone doesn't have certain features that even dumb phones have.

Also, don't use quotes if you aren't going to actually quote someone. That makes me very sad. Also, if I gave you a stick and told you it was a cellphone, would you give me a break because it is my "first full year"?
    Last edited by cmptrnrd16; 07-20-08 at 10:05 AM.
    07-20-08 09:58 AM
    You make very good points, and I agree. I agree that Blackberry is behind the curve(sic) in some aspects. My gripe is that Apple bragged about all this push stuff before the product came out, and now they have had to change the wording until they can actually provide what they promised. I think that is a disappointment.

Furthermore, the "basic stuff" I was referring to was the ability to open up more than one application at once. I think that is a much easier thing to implement than HTML e-mail and has kind of been something people have been using for several years.

Your response brings up a lot of good points, but it doesn't really have anything to do with my post. You are bringing up issues that relatively few phones have to somehow justify why the iPhone doesn't have certain features that even dumb phones have.

Also, don't use quotes if you aren't going to actually quote someone. That makes me very sad. Also, if I gave you a stick and told you it was a cellphone, would you give me a break because it is my "first full year"?
    For the record:

MobileMe down to iPhone = push
    MobileMe down to desktop = push
    iPhone up to MobileMe = push

The only part where the push isn't there is from the desktop up to MobileMe. The reason for this is because the necessary coding isn't programmed into the current iteration of Mac desktop apps (iCal and Address Book). When the "Snow Leopard" update comes however, it will be available.

Also, when Apple announced this push notification service, they said it wouldn't be available until September. It isn't like they promised it for iPhone 3G launch and didn't deliver.

Last point; why run programs in the background if you don't have to? The only program worth keeping open in the background is IM, and the reason to do it is so you get notification of a new message. How is a service that gives you notification and doesn't sap system resources by constantly running in the background to do it, a bad thing?
    07-20-08 10:42 AM
    For the record:

MobileMe down to iPhone = push
    MobileMe down to desktop = push
    iPhone up to MobileMe = push

The only part where the push isn't there is from the desktop up to MobileMe. The reason for this is because the necessary coding isn't programmed into the current iteration of Mac desktop apps (iCal and Address Book). When the "Snow Leopard" update comes however, it will be available.
    fair enough.

Also, when Apple announced this push notification service, they said it wouldn't be available until September. It isn't like they promised it for iPhone 3G launch and didn't deliver.
    I was not aware of this, I guess the OP didn't do research or Apple did a poor job of letting their customers know about this.

Last point; why run programs in the background if you don't have to? The only program worth keeping open in the background is IM, and the reason to do it is so you get notification of a new message. How is a service that gives you notification and doesn't sap system resources by constantly running in the background to do it, a bad thing?
    Because running programs in the background will make them start up faster. Also, I never said that it was a bad thing, I said it was a basic feature that all phone should.

Unrelated, but I feel the urge to kick an Apple exec in the balls every time I have to upgrade iTunes and their damn updater tries to install **** like safari and mobileme.
    07-20-08 10:51 AM
    fair enough.

I was not aware of this, I guess the OP didn't do research or Apple did a poor job of letting their customers know about this.

What research wasn't done?

Because running programs in the background will make them start up faster. Also, I never said that it was a bad thing, I said it was a basic feature that all phone should.

Do you own or have owned an iPhone and use it a consistent basis? I see Verizon, but maybe you have had one. This statement is false. My applications start faster than any of the applications that were stuck in the background of my Curve.
    *10 characters*
    07-20-08 12:03 PM
    *10 characters*
    Oops, I lied. It was the second poster who didn't know what was up with the whole September thing.

Also, no, I have never owned an iPhone. I write software for a competitive product so I have an iPhone and a Curve that we make comparisons to so yes I have used one, and yes I agree they are fast. My argument was that the use of smart memory management for "background" applications is used to speed up the process of bringing and application to the foreground. In the iPhone's case, none of the applications take a long to load as is (perhaps because they are loaded partially during bootup, but I haven't actually looked at the code for that (I don't work for Apple) so I don't know).
    07-20-08 12:42 PM
    Background Applications- Apple purposefully designed the iPhone not to allow processes to run in the background. This keeps the speed of the overall phone experience fast. The reason that applications start up quickly is because the processor is quick and it isn't bogged down by these background processes. Not allowing background applications to run isn't a downfall, it's a feature. (Have you ever used a Windows Mobile Device? )

As for the push notification, Apple said it wouldn't be available until September. Would you rather have had them hold the iPhone launch until September because this feature wasn't included in launch? I think most people would say no...
    07-22-08 03:17 PM
    Also I would like to add that no one else has designed this type of push notification for AIM or any other application on a mobile device. So how are they behind on "basic stuff"? Push notification that will "activate" applications on the iPhone is brand new.
    07-22-08 03:20 PM
    Background Applications- Apple purposefully designed the iPhone not to allow processes to run in the background.
    Do you work for Apple? I am actually curious as to how they go about their thread management. I figure they have multiple threads split between hardware monitoring and UI. It would be interesting to see what UI "apps" are given their own thread to work with and which ones share CPU and RAM as part of a main loop. It seems likely that there are singletons of most of the manager and driver classes and that simple UI pages are instantiated when need be. So thinking of an iPhone "app" like you would a PC app is misleading. The reason iPhone apps start so fast is because essentially they are already running and only a few UI elements need be rendered and probably some hooks to some management software be made in order to start an "app"

As for delaying apps, that is a business science. Companies struggle with that kind of thing all the time. I will not claim to have any experience in making a big decision like that. But judging the iPhone's compeition, I think it would be safe to say that delaying for a few more months would not have been too costly to their sales.

And anything else you are disagreeing with me on your are probably right. I suppose Instant Messaging is worthless to me if the system can't even tell me that I have one while doing other things. If I wanted to focus solely on one thing and not be doing other things on my phone I would probably just call the person. It seems that with the affordability of unlimited text message plans that the iPhone's current IM solution as I understand it is rather worthless.
    07-22-08 05:33 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD