i have a bberry now but i am gonna be switching to the iphone. What does anyone think of the AT&T network and do u think the verizon iphones network will be any better even though the phones are almost identical
    01-12-11 12:23 PM
    It depends on where you live. For me, its ATT that works best where I live. But for the next person, it may be Verizon
    01-12-11 12:32 PM
    i agree just depends on where you live, and in/around most major cities, i don't think there'd be THAT much of difference, but I'm sure Apple with have VZW iPhones on display as well... go to an apple store and check out the coverage and speeds based on that location is what i'd do, pick a carrier/phone and test run it for 30 days... but I believe VZW changed theirs to 14 days... ATT's is still 30
    01-12-11 01:03 PM
    I've never been on VZW network, but I had an i4 on AT&T and functioned flawlessly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 01:08 PM
    I am on AT&T right now with a 9700, with my BB I can make phone calls from within my house and send texts no problem, where as my brother with an iphone 3G can't do either easily. So there is a difference in the phone. I also owned an iphone 3G and it was pretty **** poor service wise, but that's not what I'm getting at.

My older brother has an iphone4 and he said it made great strides in the coverage department over the 3G, but sometimes he has a fanboys outlook and cannot admit the iphones faults.

Here comes my question... I know everything right now is just people speculating but how will VZW getting the iphone impact ATTs network. I'm hoping it alleviates the stress and the network speeds up. Maybe I'm just dreaming but I am sick of the BB 9700, I see android phones and iphones all around twice as capable as my bb. Yes the bb does what it does well, but it doesn't seem like it does much anymore. The reason I stayed were BBM (which is pointless since everyone seems to have left for android phones on verizon) and email, but I left my last job and do not need it as much, plus the iphone seems to have made much better strides in emailing.

I was never an iphone hater when I left, but I think I'm ready to make the jump back to the iphone. Hopefully AT&Ts network benefits from big reds acquisition.

01-12-11 01:49 PM
    I agree with Garz.

If you are using Verizon and are happy with the signal and amount of dropped calls (if any) in your area, then go with a Verizon iPhone.

If you have issues with signal and dropped calls, go with AT&T.
    01-12-11 01:53 PM
    Like everyone else said, it depends on how the coverage is in your area. I've had AT&T ever since I had a cell phone (er, even when it was "Cingular" for a while) and I've never been disappointed in their service or coverage. I also like that it's a GSM network.
    01-12-11 03:09 PM
    Here's another option, you have 30 days to test out ATT, test it out while waiting on the VZW iPhone to be released, then you'll know ...but i agree with Garz as well if you have good coverage why switch unless you want voice/data at same time on 3G
    01-12-11 03:44 PM
    Here's another option, you have 30 days to test out ATT, test it out while waiting on the VZW iPhone to be released, then you'll know ...but i agree with Garz as well if you have good coverage why switch unless you want voice/data at same time on 3G
    That is a good idea. The only thing is there will be a restocking fee charged but its better than to be locked in to a 2 yr contract
    01-12-11 03:51 PM
    Verizon has the most consistent coverage and speeds. I have Verizon for personal use and AT&T for work. Overall Verizon seems faster when I browse the web and the calls drop less often for me.
    01-12-11 03:52 PM
    I can believe the call drop, but not the data speeds, ATT's are up to 60% faster than Verizon's, That's ATT's thing.. fastest 3G speeds period... I've gotten almost 5 Mpbs in Cleveland and almost 6 in Houston... study came out summer last year showed VZW averaged around 1-2 Mpbs
    01-12-11 04:00 PM
    That is a good idea. The only thing is there will be a restocking fee charged but its better than to be locked in to a 2 yr contract
    Apple did away with the restocking charges as of yesterday ...
    Garz likes this.
    01-12-11 04:01 PM
    Maybe the back-end data connections are slower here in Northern Nevada. I often have plenty of "bars" on my AT&T and VZW phones, but the VZW one seems snappier.
    01-12-11 04:09 PM
    Apple did away with the restocking charges as of yesterday ...
    Oh nice! i didnt know
    01-12-11 04:10 PM
    Another thing to consider if both AT&T and VZW have good coverage is that AT&T does not have unlimitied data plans for new customers. The limit is 2GB.

VZW still offers unlimited data plans.

01-12-11 04:33 PM
    Vzw still does on all current devices out ... Nothing has been announced for data on the iPhone
    01-12-11 05:06 PM
    Definitely go for Verizon. It has much better voice quality. The hot spot is a very sweet deal.
    01-12-11 08:37 PM
    Definitely go for Verizon. It has much better voice quality. The hot spot is a very sweet deal.
    The hot spot will be for all Iphone after an update so don't go thinking that big red will be the only 1
    01-13-11 03:33 PM
    I think AT&T(GSM network) is faster than Verizon(CDMA network). I've used both in the past, and a GSM network has less problems and fewer dropped calls.
    01-13-11 05:05 PM
    besides the coverage which we all know which device has the advantage. some hardware differences should be looked into too. like no surf and talk with Verizon as u can with AT&T, no world capabilities with Verizon as u can with AT&T. slower BUT more dependable data with Verizon. And battery if is the same battery the battery life will be less also with Verizon
    01-13-11 05:29 PM
    I think you'll find everyone will tell you it depends where you live/are. I am in Manhattan and service with at&t is dreadful. I am one of those who is switching to VZ. The avg download speed here is around 150 Kbts...not good.

I know people in the midwest have great service and thare you'll see 5MB of speed no problem. I guess as a rule of thumb, if you live in a very populated area and by that i mean San Fran, LA or NYC go VZ in my opinion.
    01-14-11 07:35 AM
    In my area, I switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone. I don't get anymore dropped calls then I did with Big Red. My wife stayed on Big Red and has a Fascinate. In comparing speed, AT&T with the iPhone is consistently faster. This was the only reason I switched. Someone might say, well Vzw is getting LTE. Well, I'm not close enough to LA so LTE won't even be available to me for awhile. AT&T has been the better choice for me.
    01-14-11 03:32 PM
    Carriers are like real estate, location location location. For me AT&T works best, I receive great voice and data coverage in SW Florida. I am also getting better than 5+Mbps on AT&T 3G. There are differences with the two carriers, on Verizon you will not be able to do voice and data simultaneously as well as travel abroad as easily. AT&T's network is considerably faster than Verizon's, at the same time if you don't live in an area with a good AT&T signal all those advantages are for not.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-14-11 at 06:03 PM.
    01-14-11 06:00 PM
    I got a question about this image I saw about the verizon iphone4:
    Picture 1269 � Album 0 � Gallery 96 � Gallery | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    If I would have tethering ordered on mine, would have the same option (personal hotspot) showing up on my phone or is this screen shows, that Verizon phones have a tweaked OS?

Also,looking at the wifi screen, it looks different.
    01-15-11 12:50 AM
    Another thing to consider if both AT&T and VZW have good coverage is that AT&T does not have unlimitied data plans for new customers. The limit is 2GB.

VZW still offers unlimited data plans.

If you're already with AT&T you get to keep your unlimited data from the BB data plan and only have to pay $30 which is just $5 more than their $25 plan for 2GB. Feature wise, if you what simultaneous voice and data, go AT&T. If you need hotspot more than simultaneous voice/data, go VZW.
    Last edited by RoadieCracker; 01-18-11 at 11:09 PM.
    01-18-11 11:04 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD