In practically non-Android or Droid related news, I�ve received a tip that is just screaming to be released. And while this seems completely off topic at first, I should point out that with Verizon involved and the release of 2 new Droids on the horizon, that this does sort of impact you. So here we go�
    T-Mobile Almost Makes Deal
    As many of you know, the rumors of contract negotiations between T-Mobile and Apple have been going on for a few months and a deal appeared to be imminent. Well, until now according to my sources. Apparently T-Mobile was unable to finalize that deal for a couple of reasons.
    The first was their inability to come up with the amount of cash that Apple was demanding which had the potential to significantly cripple the 4th ranked carrier in the U.S. even further should more advanced smartphones come along. When I say �cripple�, I mean that the commitment needed from T-Mobile would have made it only profitable to sell iPhones and with the ever-expanding features and power of devices supporting Android, the end would have almost been inevitable.
    The second reason being the timing of an announcement and the release of the iPhone 4 next week on AT&T. T-Mobile was angered over the fact that their partnership could not be made public until after AT&T had launched Apple�s new baby on Thursday, locking up thousands of potential customers. You have to remember that AT&T has for the first time in the existence of the iPhone, adjusted customer contracts, allowing them to upgrade to this newest version early all while keeping them under the AT&T blanket for another 2 years. You think this idea was simply a coincidence?
    Verizon Comes In
    Just days ago, after negotiations had fallen out between T-Mobile and Apple, the official news of Verizon inking their deal was being faxed to those needing to know, of course accompanied by a pound of non-disclosures. Apparently Verizon hopes that an iPhone deal will make them money in the long run as the rumored amount of cash they forked over for this was more than something extraordinary.
    So when does Verizon plan on making their announcement? My source says July, but I�m hesitant to jump on that as Big Red has the Droid X launching on July 19th and the Droid 2 coming just weeks later. Would they really undermine all that the DROID brand has done for them over the last 9 months just to sell out to a product they won�t have for 2 more years? I guess with AT&T�s exclusive deal through 2012, VZW customers purchasing a phone now would not be effected.
    Take it for what it�s worth�just wanted those of you who may be fed up with AT&T to know that you will soon have another option, even if you want a phone from the enemy.
    With that said, Android > iPhone.
    06-16-10 10:59 AM
    This is great news. I would hate if it came to tmobile.
    06-16-10 11:23 AM
    I agree, I think it would cripple TMobile and I'm just not interested in owning an iphone.
    06-16-10 11:33 AM
    i'd love to believe this but with so many rumors that have been proven false its hard to believe anything, even things with credibility. When and if it happens I will believe but until then I'll just treat it as the rest of the rumors
    06-16-10 12:09 PM
    The last part of this story doesn't make good business sense. If his article is true and Verizon gets the iPhone starting in 2012, what good would it have done AT&T to lock in their customers for another two years? New contracts would go from Summer 2010-2012, Verizon gets the iPhone circa Summer 2012, they'd be able to bail with no penalties. Now if it were 2011, different story?
    06-16-10 01:21 PM
    Meh. Moar heresay.
    06-16-10 01:28 PM
    Meh. Moar heresay.
    Yea, that's about how I feel too. I just saw it and thought I'd pass it on. By 2012, maybe, but Android has my attention now anyway.
    06-16-10 01:55 PM
    Everyone has my attention already, save for RIM.

I have no excitement reserved for RIM.

Not for any OS 6, nor any sliders.

I miss the days that I used to constantly scan CB for a Bold 9000 release date.

/Sigh
    06-16-10 01:57 PM
    Everyone has my attention already, save for RIM.

I have no excitement reserved for RIM.

Not for any OS 6, nor any sliders.

I miss the days that I used to constantly scan CB for a Bold 9000 release date.

/Sigh
    Yea, I just can't see a BB as my personal device any longer.
    06-16-10 02:08 PM
    Only time will tell.
    06-16-10 02:27 PM
    I've been with TMO for 9 years now and am VERY close to jumping to AT&T for the iPhone. I've wanted to do so for ages but always held back hoping that TMO would get the iPhone. I'm over it. Tried Android and it was OK, but not what I really wanted. Tired of waiting and hoping.
    06-16-10 02:34 PM
    <SIGH>.... it can't be crackberry without the typical iPhone is going to Verizon thread.
    06-16-10 03:07 PM
    As much as I love Verizon's network, Im tired of waiting. I have a 32GB iPhone 4 reserved however Im going to pick up the white if available.
    06-16-10 04:43 PM
    Never had an interest in an iphone and probably never will. I love my BB 8330 and it still performs beautifully. I even have the original trackball after 1 year. (Did I just jinx myself?) Oh well, I'm sure I will update to the latest BB when my curve takes a dump or my update is available sometime later this year.
    06-16-10 04:57 PM
    With that said, Android > iPhone.
    Haha, nice ending. Seriously though, it would be nice if it came to Verizon. I wont believe it until it is announced though.
    06-16-10 05:01 PM
    o joy, another iphone verizon rumor
    06-17-10 07:56 PM
    Ehhh...Even if my beloved Verizon gets the iPhone 4Q this year or early next I don't care anymore. Im porting my line over to AT&T to get the iPhone next week (as long as they have white). Tired of waiting. At the point that they ever do get it Ill port back over. Simple as that.
    06-18-10 06:58 AM
    I just jumperd ship from Tmobile. I have been a long time blackberry user, but the service was terrible from Tmobile... just pre-ordered the iPhone 4
    06-18-10 09:23 AM
    Wow! I still can't believe this crap stilll is going around.

"apple needs to expand to remain competitive with android."

"AT&T had to give up 2yrs of contract to get exclusive ipad."

blah blah blah.

I've followed these rumors since they started in 2007. I worked for VZW from 04-09 and still follow the wireless industry very closely. So I'm the first to say that a lot of these iPhone/VZW rumors sound legit right. This one post here is no different. And to add to the mix, I personally know after speaking with Frank Wise, the VP for vzw's network, back in 2008 that the VZW/iPhone was a "almost done deal."

that was then and this is now. Everyone is so quick to read and drool and hope, no, want to believe it is true that they a blind to the simple facts that prove they are not.

1) apple will NEVER release an iPhone on CDMA. An iPhone without the ability to run data and voice at the same time would not be an iPhone. Now some say "well LTE, and VZW is making great strides and it might be done early." sorry, it is going well but not that well. We are still looking at 2nd Q 2011 for LTE phones. Apple wouldn't release a VZW iPhone now that has a 700mhz chip set for later either because by then there will be the 5th iPhone.

Now to make a slight turn here. People complain about att's service. I've got news for them. It is bad because of the iPhone. If VZW got it in 07 then their network would suck too. Millions using data, they wouldn't know what to do. Long term plans are this. VZW comes out with LTE in 2011 at ~7mb DL. at which point AT&T has a bigger hspa+ footprint running about the same speeds. Then when LTE is a little older AND CHEAPER to build, AT&T very easily converts it's hspa/gsm network to the LTE they've been sitting on. Because they backward compatible. So they will always be a bit faster the VZW, plus at that point have the headstart on coverage. VZW will be trying to play catch up expanding their 4g all while having to maintain their CDMA network until ALL 85+ million customers switch to a 4g phone.

So long term IMO, AT&T will be the stronger network.

Sorry...2) VZW paid 11 BILLION on 700mhz spectrum plus god knows how much building it. I can tell you that each tower upgrade alone is ~600k to 1M. There is know way they have the funds to pay what would have ended t-mobile, whom I think the TS forgets is one of the largest carriers in the world.

3) VZW was, is, and always will be full of themselves. Just like they turned down the first iPhone because apple wouldn't meet their demands (like allowing selectron/flextronics employees work on the phone or letting their auth retailers carry it) they are in a similar boat now. VZW thinks like a lot of people that Android is a superior product. They like their exclusive droids and wouldn't sell out like some would thing. To them getting droids is like a "ha apple, suck it." they are never ones to admit they might have been wrong which is exactly what getting an iPhone now would say.

Ultimitly I could be wrong since I don't have very deep inside contacts now. However even if VZW does get an iPhone sooner or later. Between the fact that they will destroy it with lock downs and vcast bull **** apps and that AT&T will have a superior network (and already better CS [still not saying much]). I'll stay where I'm at anyway

P.S. Thanks for reading. I know it's long. I typed this all on my 3GS in about 10 minutes. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 24TH!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 10:07 PM
    Wow! I still can't believe this crap stilll is going around.

"apple needs to expand to remain competitive with android."

"AT&T had to give up 2yrs of contract to get exclusive ipad."

blah blah blah.

I've followed these rumors since they started in 2007. I worked for VZW from 04-09 and still follow the wireless industry very closely. So I'm the first to say that a lot of these iPhone/VZW rumors sound legit right. This one post here is no different. And to add to the mix, I personally know after speaking with Frank Wise, the VP for vzw's network, back in 2008 that the VZW/iPhone was a "almost done deal."

that was then and this is now. Everyone is so quick to read and drool and hope, no, want to believe it is true that they a blind to the simple facts that prove they are not.

1) apple will NEVER release an iPhone on CDMA. An iPhone without the ability to run data and voice at the same time would not be an iPhone. Now some say "well LTE, and VZW is making great strides and it might be done early." sorry, it is going well but not that well. We are still looking at 2nd Q 2011 for LTE phones. Apple wouldn't release a VZW iPhone now that has a 700mhz chip set for later either because by then there will be the 5th iPhone.

Now to make a slight turn here. People complain about att's service. I've got news for them. It is bad because of the iPhone. If VZW got it in 07 then their network would suck too. Millions using data, they wouldn't know what to do. Long term plans are this. VZW comes out with LTE in 2011 at ~7mb DL. at which point AT&T has a bigger hspa+ footprint running about the same speeds. Then when LTE is a little older AND CHEAPER to build, AT&T very easily converts it's hspa/gsm network to the LTE they've been sitting on. Because they backward compatible. So they will always be a bit faster the VZW, plus at that point have the headstart on coverage. VZW will be trying to play catch up expanding their 4g all while having to maintain their CDMA network until ALL 85+ million customers switch to a 4g phone.

So long term IMO, AT&T will be the stronger network.

Sorry...2) VZW paid 11 BILLION on 700mhz spectrum plus god knows how much building it. I can tell you that each tower upgrade alone is ~600k to 1M. There is know way they have the funds to pay what would have ended t-mobile, whom I think the TS forgets is one of the largest carriers in the world.

3) VZW was, is, and always will be full of themselves. Just like they turned down the first iPhone because apple wouldn't meet their demands (like allowing selectron/flextronics employees work on the phone or letting their auth retailers carry it) they are in a similar boat now. VZW thinks like a lot of people that Android is a superior product. They like their exclusive droids and wouldn't sell out like some would thing. To them getting droids is like a "ha apple, suck it." they are never ones to admit they might have been wrong which is exactly what getting an iPhone now would say.

Ultimitly I could be wrong since I don't have very deep inside contacts now. However even if VZW does get an iPhone sooner or later. Between the fact that they will destroy it with lock downs and vcast bull **** apps and that AT&T will have a superior network (and already better CS [still not saying much]). I'll stay where I'm at anyway

P.S. Thanks for reading. I know it's long. I typed this all on my 3GS in about 10 minutes. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 24TH!!!

I agree with your last paragraph's first sentence.
    06-19-10 11:43 PM
    Well it maybe a rumor but think abt it, as consumers we all would benefit from this. More phone options from different carriers. I'm with At&t and they'd be forced to improve their network being that another company has the iPhone. I was with Sprint for 4 yrs(service was terrible), now At&t for last 6yrs from 2 motorola flips to 2 BBerrys. I just want better coverage. I'm not against other companies having the iPhone. **** aren't they making more Droids for At&t and other companies? Wouldn't it eventually go back to who has better service rather than who has the better cell phones? Why have the phones if you can't utilize the phones potential(At&t)?

06-20-10 07:24 AM
    Well I hope the best for verizon. I say there network should be fine if they do it right. AT&T's network sucks because it has holes in it. The voice part of the network is the important part they need to improve on. If you can't recieve a phone call then why have a phone. Apple themselves need to show improvement in their cell phone antenna technology. Ultimately they got it right on the first iphone but the 3g and the 3gs sucked as far as signal. The antenna just sucked to be honest. I hope the new design of the antenna helped the reception. I will burn money to get an unlocked one like i have done for the past 3 years. If the iphone4 is actually right then it will be a keeper. If not it will be sold back for what i paid for it.(that usually ends up happening)
    06-20-10 12:18 PM
    Steve stated when verizon ccould build their network for the iphone they'd talk when that happened I'm sorry verizon could no handle the iphone,verizon doesn't allow u to talk on the phone and surf the net and punch out emails and text. It would cripple the iphone I'm sorry vzw is not 3g and never will be

06-20-10 01:49 PM
    As with these rumors go... I just don't give a sh*t anymore lol..... Even if they do get the iPhone, I'm not going anywhere, I'm really curious to see how well the new antenna system works on the iPhone 4 since a lot of the coverage problem has been to the cellular radio/antenna in the current iPhone...

Steve Jobs has even been quoted as saying it's had it's problems in that dept, hence the new design, i have in fact been with other att customers with phones other than an iPhone and they've had 5 bars and we've had none..

So with that being said, and a former VZW customer... i could care less if they get the iPhone or not, but I do know they'll try to lock it down just like they are having their OWN app store now even on BB's ??

The best thing that makes apple products so superb is the fact that they build products themselves and don't license out a bunch of different versions.. and still own 28 % of the smartphone market before iPhone 4... compared to RIM's 35 % ... I bet this all changes before the end 4 Qtr 2010 bet the own the highest percentage

So keep letting the rumors fly lol
    06-20-10 03:29 PM
    Steve stated when verizon ccould build their network for the iphone they'd talk when that happened I'm sorry verizon could no handle the iphone,verizon doesn't allow u to talk on the phone and surf the net and punch out emails and text. It would cripple the iphone I'm sorry vzw is not 3g and never will be

LMAO, you know jack.
    06-20-10 04:12 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD